• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I played the 2 gba games and loved them. I never played the ds one and the change to chibi 3d did not encourage me to do so. Was it good? Is the story related to the first 2?

The game follows the children from the first two. I liked it but it got a lot of criticism. It's been a while since I've played it though so I can't say whether it's worth returning to like the first two or, more importantly, the Shining series.

MageBoySA

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I wonder if the Shining Force games on Steam sold well enough (for Genesis classics) to make Sega interested in doing this, even if it's not a full budget AAA game. I'd still buy it, I love the Shining Force games.

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I could take a Golden Sun 1+2 remake or GS4 for Switch. The series needs its last chance before really calling it dead. It's a shame we didn't got any GS on 3DS, Camelot pushed capabilities of both GBA and DS to maximum with the GS games so it would be interesting to see what magic they could have worked on 3DS.
The jump in production value (both graphics and music) between the best RPG available in previous handheld and Golden Sun was huge, especially if you weren't a WonderSwan importer.
Basically most handheld gamers went from RPGs with NES graphics to RPGs with 32 bit graphics in a short span and that's one of the reason both GS1 and GS2 sold more than 1 million copies (the other reasons was that it was pushed by the console maker early on and that it had little competition due to Square still being banished from publishing games on Nintendo consoles at the time).

-------------GBC--------------------------------------WSC----------------------------GBA
59720-dragon-warrior-iii-game-boy-color-screenshot-fight-or-run.png
101383-final-fantasy-wonderswan-color-screenshot-battle-in-a-forest.gif
24582-golden-sun-game-boy-advance-screenshot-encounter.jpg

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
I had been playing games before Shining the Holy Ark, but it was this game that cemented my love for gaming. I absolutely love it and SF3 (Scenario 1) and not much would make me as genuinely happy as having either a remake of SF3 with all 3 scenarios included or a SF4.

If nothing comes of it, the mere fact that the Takahashi brothers would love to do a new game in this beloved series is good enough for me. Because where there is want, there is hope.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One day those promised treasure ports will continue coming to steam ;-;

Ikaruga couldn't have tanked that bad to not at least cover costs right?

Ikaruga sold over 110,000 copies and more than half of those copies sold were at the full release price. I'm pretty sure they made their money back.

I've been waiting for Radiant Silvergun to make it over for a long time.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I wonder if the Shining Force games on Steam sold well enough (for Genesis classics) to make Sega interested in doing this, even if it's not a full budget AAA game. I'd still buy it, I love the Shining Force games.

Sega makes so much money selling hentai to Japanese people that theres no way they'd want to go back to the real stuff.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I love all three of those devs. The old days of Sega get me a little misty eyed.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Those are words I thought I'd never see. Always preferred Shining Force to Fire Emblem and a comeback like the first two would be so so welcomed.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like way too late for this, frankly. When was the last time Camelot was even relevant? I imagine all of the people who made the original Shining games are long gone now.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Sega treated Camelot like total shit from the very beginning.

https://www.gamestm.co.uk/uncategorised/behind-the-scenes-shining-force/
If it sounds like Takahashi's keen to distance himself from Sega it's because he is. There's a whole litany of hurt to relate, but for a start consider this: for each of the three Shining Mega Drive games, Sega gave Takahashi's team the bare minimum funding offered to out-of-house developers. Shining In The Darkness was a success, but apparently not enough to merit a raise for the development of Shining Force; and although Shining Force was a hit, there was still no raise forthcoming when it came time for a sequel to be built.
Unfortunately for Takahashi, while players and critics universally appreciated his team's fine work on Shining Force, Sega's bosses were less enthusiastic. In part this was a result of differences in attitude and approach between the Sega managers Takahashi had initially dealt with and those who succeeded them – new additions to the administration one by one transforming the company from a modest game-loving outfit to an austere profit-obsessed corporation. "From 1990 on," Takahashi explains, "Sega gradually became a larger scale business. New managers were recruited and things started to change. When Sega's managers were replaced, we came to be seen just as a small, unruly subsidiary that wanted things its own way, and because of that we were forced out of Sega's main line of business. From that point on, I felt that Sega had ceased to be a true software-orientated company."

This sad state of affairs forced Takahashi to begin production of Shining Force II with a team that had been decimated and, effectively, rebuilt. Most of the original Shining Force staff were beginners who had potential but no prior experience. However, even though they now had a successful game in their back catalogue, Sega's reluctance to increase the level of funding it granted for the development of this sequel meant that from an economic perspective there was little motivation to stick with the project.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Nintendo will always keep them busy with filler software like RPG-less Mario Tennis and Golf games. Their quality is constantly dropping, but Nintendo don't care, they need games to fill up schedule empty spots. Mario sports are the safest bets.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I really wish Sega treated Camelot better, Shining Force was such a great series that deserved more success. Shining Force could've been Sega's Fire Emblem if they made better decisions.

Radirgy

Oct 27, 2017
It would be for great for sure but only if Camelot is allowed the freedom to develop with little to no input from SEGA. I just don't trust current SEGA enough to steer the series back in the right direction.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
You'd think with Fire Emblem being made a Nintendo cornerstone, Sega would dust off Shining Force. Turned based strategy RPGs are going to make big comeback shortly. X-Com and FE have paved the way. Heck, even South Park is getting in on the action.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Nintendo will always keep them busy with filler software like RPG-less Mario Tennis and Golf games. Their quality is constantly dropping, but Nintendo don't care, they need games to fill up schedule empty spots. Mario sports are the safest bets.

Without those games, Camelot might as well cease to exist as a developer and become a mini TOSE (providing anonymous work for other studios).

I mean also I want Ninty to use them for greater things, but as it was discussed on the other thread...Whole they are almost second party-like, they are independent and could find another publisher if they truly think Ninty is holding them back....

Plus those games they put out for Ninty probably dont have such a long dev cycle (on average each one comes out every two years).

Oct 26, 2017
Back in the day, my desire for more Shining Force was rabid. I'm more mellow now, but I'd still buy anything Shining from Camelot in a heartbeat.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
If it's closer to II, I'm all in.

I'd also appreciate a Shining in the Darkness sequel, but that's saved for another discussion. ;P

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

These types of game dont need AAA budget and they will never break even. Something in the scope of golden sun would be quiet nice.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
It was 20 years ago though.
Time doesn't heal all wounds, especially not the most grievous.

Case in point:

SEGA's Shining franchise producers have very different goals from what the Takahashi brothers could work with. Also, Tony Taka's grip on modern Shining's art and otaku following makes things even more difficult.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Shining Force II is probably my most replayed game. I still have yet to play III (every Saturn I have bought has been faulty in some way, I have given up at this point), but I would love a fourth game.

eric_b

Oct 27, 2017
III is wonderful. There's an active translation project for scenarios 2 and 3 that's been going on for years. Worth keeping an eye on.

SF Central has also had scripts for all scenarios of III up forever, if you want to play through the existing ones now. It's a bit of a pain for the in-town dialog but for the main scripted scenario events it works great.

I had no idea that an in-game translation was ongoing though. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SF Central has also had scripts for all scenarios of III up forever, if you want to play through the existing ones now. It's a bit of a pain for the in-town dialog but for the main scripted scenario events it works great.

I had no idea that an in-game translation was ongoing though. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

It's been going for 12 years now, but they're still plugging away. I believe their re-translation of Scenario 1 is 100% complete; the other two scenarios are complete but awaiting final polishing and playtesting. It's been a real labor of love. Nice article on ithere.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't look too expensive to get copies of Scenario 2 and 3, is there an emulator that can play through the trilogy without issues, or would I have to make another go at getting a working Saturn?

eric_b

Oct 27, 2017
It's been going for 12 years now, but they're still plugging away. I believe their re-translation of Scenario 1 is 100% complete; the other two scenarios are complete but awaiting final polishing and playtesting. It's been a real labor of love. Nice article on ithere.

Wow that's intense. The games are really, really good and any way that more can play them is a very generous contribution to the community.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'd love for Camelot to finish Golden Sun. Leaving their last game on a cliffhanger is worse than when the series was first dormant.
Yup. If they didn't plan a 4th installment after DD, I would have much prefered the series to have stopped after TLA.
However, it barely sold 80K in Japan and I think didn't sell a whole lot more outside. And, as I can see here, all Camelot games tend to undersell with the first Golden Sun being amongst the exceptions.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I've always preferred Fire Emblem to Shining Force, but I definitely wouldn't mind another Shining Force game. I'd be more interested in another Shining in the Darkness game, though.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ow it hurts... so many people in here making me relive the loss of Golden Sun. ;_;

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean also I want Ninty to use them for greater things, but as it was discussed on the other thread...Whole they are almost second party-like, they are independent and could find another publisher if they truly think Ninty is holding them back....
And what publisher would do that? With the state of the JP games industry, the moment they let go of Nintendo, they'll be the mini-TOSE, like you said, or will be relegated to mobile games (more so now). If anything, Nintendo is their last chance to spread their wings once more, and that doesn't seem likely at all

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love for Camelot to finish Golden Sun. Leaving their last game on a cliffhanger is worse than when the series was first dormant.

This! Also, Dark Dawn was such a case of blue balls. I felt the same about it as I did with SW:EP VII. Camelot tried too much to cash in on nostalgia and ended up doing Golden Sun 1.5. Too bad since the series could go for so much more on Switch.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Few things in the gaming scene would make me happier than for Treasure to be even close to what they once were. They made some incredible games...

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
The jump in production value (both graphics and music) between the best RPG available in previous handheld and Golden Sun was huge, especially if you weren't a WonderSwan importer.
Basically most handheld gamers went from RPGs with NES graphics to RPGs with 32 bit graphics in a short span and that's one of the reason both GS1 and GS2 sold more than 1 million copies (the other reasons was that it was pushed by the console maker early on and that it had little competition due to Square still being banished from publishing games on Nintendo consoles at the time).

-------------GBC--------------------------------------WSC----------------------------GBA
59720-dragon-warrior-iii-game-boy-color-screenshot-fight-or-run.png
101383-final-fantasy-wonderswan-color-screenshot-battle-in-a-forest.gif
24582-golden-sun-game-boy-advance-screenshot-encounter.jpg

I loved GS 1, 2, Mario Tennis and Golf on the GBA. There was a certain touch to Camelot's games that you couldn't find anywhere else. It's baffling how the series went from being a large success to completely absent. Then again, Camelot had only planned a single game, which was split into two once the game's scope and hardware limitations became known.

If they do end up releasing another Shining game, I'll look forward to checking it out. They've been sort of given the Rareware treatment for far too long now, having only released Mario sports titles as of late.

sourbeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aww here
A confirmed genealogy tree would be nice at the very least. I still don't know exactly who Amiti is (assuming the hair is a clue though).

Shining Force 4 though. Count me in. I still regret selling my gba game, which was a nice bootleg with 1&2 IIRC. Such good back stories to those games, and also Golden Sun. Camelot really knows how to craft a world.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Shining Force IV has a lot of potential backstory to build from, since central and eastern Parmecia in III seems largely disconnected from western Parmecia in II. I'd love to see a new Force game with a premise and cast which effortlessly connects a bunch of lingering plot ideas and connections between characters hailing from different parts of Parmecia, the outlying lands, Gran Island, and even the continents of Rune way out west. Really, letting all this sit and collapse into dust would be a regret.

The Giant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need the 4th Golden Sun on Switch. Make it happen Nintendo. Also give Treasure a job, bring them back from death.