• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

djinnEXE

Oct 25, 2017
Golden Sun 1 & 2 are my favorite RPG as well as my favorite games of all time. I didn't enjoy Dark Dawn enough to finish it plus some design choices soured me.

I want a Golden Sun 4 but no a continuation of the story of 1 & 2 like 3 was. Give me something standalone with a new cast, new psyenergy and a new story.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
love love love shining force 1 and 2. Never played 3. So yes please.

Arkage

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't look too expensive to get copies of Scenario 2 and 3, is there an emulator that can play through the trilogy without issues, or would I have to make another go at getting a working Saturn?

I'd recommend using mednafen/retroarch. There are YouTube guides on how to set it up for Saturn games. It plays them wonderfully. Alternatively, SSF has a few audio issues with the game but otherwise works and is easier to set up.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Everyone who mentioned Shining the Holy Ark - damn - everyone who even thought it in this thread. You are good people. I like all the Camelot RPG's - but damn if Holy Ark isn't my true love. It's just got a punch to it that makes it such a joy to play.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, rescue the shining series from the waifu bait it has become
at that point, there's no reason to revive it. the branding isnt want it once was, so nostalgia wont get you far. and just making "a good game" that people will buy is a lot harder than it sounds. at least waifu bait means you can charge exorbitant prices because you know some otakus will eat it up

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Ugh.

Why the tease?

I've been hoping for a proper shining force sequel for decades.

I'd love to start seeing a revival of these old school rpgs. T'would be fricken sweet.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Totally would be on board with Shining Force IV. Switch would be a good platform for it, given that you could play it on-the-go. Suitable for strategy RPG's.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The other day I dreamed that Shining Force IV was announced, that it would be in a 2D pixel art style (but not fully retro, more like faux-retro, think 32-bit graphics but not quite modern HD), there were some gorgeous screenshots and... then I woke up.

I'm sure it means something!

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Shining Force 1-3 are some of my favorite games, I would be so down for a new one.

I'm kind of surprised about Treasure, I always assumed their games were generally (and sadly) not very successful. I'm glad to see that assumption may not be correct.

TGR91

Oct 30, 2017
Scotland
Can we just have that sweet direct-sequel Golden Sun 3 instead, please? We don't really need it, but I want it badly. Those 2 games made my childhood. I have great memories of playing it with my dad.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Camelot should go and find out where Phil Spencer keeps magically disappearing to when he's bullshitting us all about his productive trips to Japan. Xbox could easily money-hat Sega for an exclusive Shining Force 3 Remaster, or get Camelot working on a new IP altogether.

It would probably be cheap for Redmond, and earn goodwill for anime fans and consumers on Xbox who want traditional games and more variety, in the wake of their cancelled stuff.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
For those who don't know, Compile is not only the studio behind the Puyo Puyo franchise(first brought to the west as Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine & Kirby's Avalanche), but they're one of the most accomplished developers of shmup in the 8- and 16-bit era.
Guardian Legend, Blazing Lazers, and Space Megaforce are peerless.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Camelot should go and find out where Phil Spencer keeps magically disappearing to when he's bullshitting us all about his productive trips to Japan. Xbox could easily money-hat Sega for an exclusive Shining Force 3 Remaster, or get Camelot working on a new IP altogether.

It would probably be cheap for Redmond, and earn goodwill for anime fans and consumers on Xbox who want traditional games and more variety, in the wake of their cancelled stuff.

lol

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
For those who don't know, Compile is not only the studio behind the Puyo Puyo franchise(first brought to the west as Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine & Kirby's Avalanche), but they're one of the most accomplished developers of shmup in the 8- and 16-bit era.
Guardian Legend, Blazing Lazers, and Space Megaforce are peerless.
Most of Compile's old arcade shooter developers left around 1993 to form Raizing. After that, Compile really went hard in on late PC-98 and Windows games, ranging from ARPGs to Disc Station releases (which had lots of mini-games and utilities/accessories), while using Puyo Puyo as a reliable cash-cow. The main reason they died was massive, poorly-timed expansion into a snazzy office in Fukuoka around the turn of the millennium.

Oct 25, 2017
Strangely enough, they made games directly for Sega, Sony and Nintendo during the 90's. They were like how Platinum is today.

Ahhh. I wish Nintendo and Sega collabed and let Camelot make a Shining Force 4 ala Fire Emblem.

Man, I love Shining Force 2. Like, top 5 games ever. Honestly, I'd take a remaster of Shining Force 3 at this point.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I would kill for this. SF2 was the first SRPG I ever played. It was on Genesis and it hooked me. That type of style of RPG is all but dead these days, and Im dying for a game in the genre. A new SF would be wonderful

Yes, rescue the shining series from the waifu bait it has become

What? They turned the shining series into that sort of shit? I haven't played the most recent ones. Thats really sad to hear.

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
Ahhh. I wish Nintendo and Sega collabed and let Camelot make a Shining Force 4 ala Fire Emblem.

Man, I love Shining Force 2. Like, top 5 games ever. Honestly, I'd take a remaster of Shining Force 3 at this point.

? Don't think it has anything to do with Nintendo and I believe they are working on fire emblem switch themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
? Don't think it has anything to do with Nintendo and I believe they are working on fire emblem switch themselves.

Don't mean it does. Just saying Nintendo would probably be the only ones to make a deal to get Shining Force made. Camelot and Nintendo seem close, and Sega obviously owns Shining Force. Sega making Shing Force on their own seems unlikely. They'd probably need some incentive from the big 3. But like you said, Nintendo already has FE, so maybe they'd think SF would be redundant? Dunno.

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
Don't mean it does. Just saying Nintendo would probably be the only ones to make a deal to get Shining Force made. Camelot and Nintendo seem close, and Sega obviously owns Shining Force. Sega making Shing Force on their own seems unlikely. They'd probably need some incentive from the big 3. But like you said, Nintendo already has FE, so maybe they'd think SF would be redundant? Dunno.

If Nintendo is going to contract Camelot for a RPG golden sun might be a better fit. Less trouble for them to get Sega on board unless like P* Camelot really wants to make a new shining star and follow the bayonetta 2 route

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Most of Compile's old arcade shooter developers left around 1993 to form Raizing. After that, Compile really went hard in on late PC-98 and Windows games, ranging from ARPGs to Disc Station releases (which had lots of mini-games and utilities/accessories), while using Puyo Puyo as a reliable cash-cow. The main reason they died was massive, poorly-timed expansion into a snazzy office in Fukuoka around the turn of the millennium.

Jeez. What a way to die.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
If and whenever this newfangled Shining Force IV happens, I want Yoshitaka Tamaki to design and illustrate both characters and monsters. He really deserves the work and he got his start largely by working on the first two Shining games. Few aside from me even know the name Fangs: The Saga of Wolf Blood, anyway.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Someone over at Microsoft should really pick up the flag and get some Japanese support. It's been 10 years of nothing after Lost Odyssey. Stories like this flying around, while Xbox is the odd man out, offering up a wasteland of a gaming lineup. It's a shame they can't even compete with Steam and it's old as fuck JRPGs.