• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
First off salute to all RetroERA.

DJ8OZT5XoAU6t2Z.jpg

Yesterday it was held the "3rd Game Business Archive" in Japan featuring Masato Maegawa (Treasure), Masamitsu Niitani (Compile) and Hiroyuki Takahashi (Camelot).
There Hiroyuki Takahashi expressed his desire to develop Shining Force 4.
Of course it's always a matter if the original Publisher wants to fund a sequel on one of its IPs and I think the chance for Sega to want to fund a new Shining Force are quite low.
There were other interesting tidbits from this conference related mostly to Mega Drive.

- Shining in the Darkness shipped 300K in Japan, he noted that at the time it was about half the MD install base in Japan (Note from me: actually , as March 1991, MD had shipped 1.90 million units in Japan).

- Shining Force CD was kind of a practice exercise for Mega CD, so they decided to add bonuses.

- Hiroyuki Takahashi would like to make Shining Force 4

- Gunstar Heroes shipped about 70K in Japan and 200K abroad. The first production run in Japan was 10K and sold out instantly.
Unfortunately it was slow to ramp up production.

- Masato Maegawa complains about the lack of communication with Sega.
Treasure didn't get any support from them during the development of Yu Yu Hakusho (MD).
Treasure was developing mainly for the oversea markets.

- Masato Maegawa is asking for a Mega Drive Mini.

Thanks to VGDensetsu for the info:
https://twitter.com/VGDensetsu/status/909462593215041537

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
If its even close to SF I and II (haven't played III) I would buy it in a heartbeat.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for Camelot to finish Golden Sun. Leaving their last game on a cliffhanger is worse than when the series was first dormant.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather a Shining The Holy Ark sequel/spiritual successor, but I certainly wouldn't be upset at the prospect of another Force.

Samurai_Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Think I read that they wanted to do a Breath of Fire game as well but Capcom probably destroyed/killed the series after killing off their BoF6 -__- mobile game.

OP
OP

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Think I read that they wanted to do a Breath of Fire game as well but Capcom probably destroyed/killed the series after killing off their BoF6 -__- mobile game.
Nope, it's just that many years ago Capcom was publishing one of their golf game so fans speculated that maybe Camelot could be doing a new Breath of Fire too.

CubedÂł's Adam Riley: Considering your current deal with Capcom, and the fact that the company has left its Breath of Fire series untouched for far too long, would you ever give consideration to tackling the resurrection of that RPG franchise?

The Takahashi Brothers: We get asked this a lot recently. The development team is extremely important in making an RPG and when some of the team left after Mario Tennis GBA we had to say it wasn't possible. Lately, however, the gap is being filled and I'm quite confident to take on pretty much anything. It is possible to start planning for titles such as the Breath of Fire series. As I mentioned earlier, the number of games we can develop at a time is quite limited so we would like to consider what people want the most in order to determine the next title for development.
http://www.cubed3.com/news/10339/1/camelot-considering-breath-of-fire-rpg-revival.html

What's interesting about the interview above is that Takahashi bros. confirmed how part of Camelot's RPG team defected around 2005.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I would take a Shining Force 3 remaster as well...with all three scenarios on one disk/cartridge...
Wouldn't that be the day.

It's just not happening, though, since SEGA's not gonna license to Camelot on account of their mutual dislike. Shinning Force III Scenario 3's development turned rough largely because SEGA abandoned Saturn developers like Camelot to focus on the Dreamcast. Camelot got so mad about this that they hid developer rants inside the Premium Disc! So they went to Nintendo for an easier gig, and I don't blame them. But I'd love to see a new wargame from Camelot which resembles Shining Force in style and play, hopefully without a repeat of Tear Ring Saga.

Niitani sure doesn't look too good. I hope his puzzle game's doing well enough to drag him out of poverty. And where has Treasure been?

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Man that would be rad as heck. Never thought I'd hear anything about Shining again. Also I have to admit, I didn't know that dev team was the dev that made the Shining series, I just knew them from their Nintendo titles, pretty cool to learn the history!

Rune

Oct 27, 2017
I would love a new proper Shining Force so much. Too bad Sega doesn't care at all.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Logistically, that could be very difficult. Doesn't seem like they had a great working relationship with Sega and they've long since partnered with Nintendo. Not sure how binding that partnership is, but they've developed exclusively for Nintendo platforms for nearly 20 years now.

They could do a spiritual successor though.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Just remake Shining Force 3, combine all 3 parts into one definitive package with HD visual and modern console/PC port and bam. I've never played this series before outside of the two ARPG SF games on PS2 but the gameplay looks to be up my alley.

Ahri

Lying PR
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I would really love to see this happen.
But you know what would be even better ? Golden Sun (new one, remake or even a remaster at this point)...

Jiggaloboy

Oct 27, 2017
Shining Force 4!!! As much as I'd love to see it happen I won't even begin to get my hopes up.

Just remake Shining Force 3, combine all 3 parts into one definitive package with HD visual and modern console/PC port and bam. I've never played this series before outside of the two ARPG SF games on PS2 but the gameplay looks to be up my alley.

This would be amazing as well but I fear it is just as much of a pipe dream.

Cless

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be there on day one. Last sf I played was 3, and I'd love to play another compelling tactics rpg. Games such as Crash or Ratchet being launched at cheaper prices have done extremely well, so maybe there's a chance, Sega!

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I don't believe we'll ever see it happen, but I'd buy day one probably. Even if my gaming taste has changed since then.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Can we first get Shining Force 3 translated and cleaned up for the current generation please?

Deleted member 15911

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be nice if camelot revived some of their IPs but it would be sweet as heck if they revived golden sun and made high poly models and good visuals for Switch. I'd buy that in a heartbeat, for sure. If not, though, I guess I'd check out a new shining force game.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
One day those promised treasure ports will continue coming to steam ;-;

Ikaruga couldn't have tanked that bad to not at least cover costs right?

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I never played Golden Sun: Dark Dawn despite the first two games being my all-time favourite JRPGs. Somehow the idea of continuing that story just didn't appeal to me.

But Golden Sun still is my favourite JRPG of all time though, so I am absolutely down for any RPG Camelot makes.

Buzzi

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, not like one of your most hyped RPG series is stuck with a cliffhanger since 8 years.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
where you at @Laevateinn

goddamn sega....DAY FUCKIN' 1, i'd be all over this

i mean a proper genesis mini would be dope too, but in a world of animu fire emblem, we need more shining force so very badly

related: if anyone sees Premium Disc for a good price, holla!

PS: much love to shining force central, im still working on SF III ep 2 thanks to y'all

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be all over this! Shining Force 3 was one of my favorite games of the 32 bit era, I'm still bummed that we never got chapters 2 & 3 here. I struggled to play chapter 2 with a translation printed out from gamefaqs but never finished it.

I'd love to get a translated updated sf3 package too, but that may just be a bit more work than they could get paid for these days. I know we're a small fan base.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I've played Dark Dawn, but it'd be better to just reboot Golden Sun. That flashy, fast combat in HD, it would be incredible.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy Ark had terrible balance for the casters towards the end of the game.

That said, I think it is hyper unlikely (outlined in my Media Create post). I wouldn't mind if it happens though.

Samurai_Heart

Oct 25, 2017

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Would be wonderful. I wonder if any of the people they fell out with at sega are still around?

I'd also love a SF3 remaster with all three scenarios & pd content. Best SRPG of all time.

Mikoby

Oct 28, 2017
Shining Force 2 is one of my favourite games. I need that remake of 3 and a brand new Shining Force game would be pretty pretty pretty good.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know what'd be amazing on the Switch? Golden Sun 4. :D

Heck, I'd settle for a remake of the first two combined with extra dungeons and whatnot.

Umgawa

Oct 25, 2017
Gimme gimme gimme!

Man, it would be really cool if they get this going.
As already mentioned, a remake of the force games would be amazing!