• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Hello, I'm looking at telephoto lens options for a Fuji X mount for landscape primarily, and currently I'm deciding between the 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 and 70-300 F4-5.6. It doesn't seem like one is straight up better than the other. My other lens is a Sigma 18-50 F2.8. I'm leaning more towards the 55-200 so I don't miss out on the 50-70 range and for the extra stop of aperture.

Any other options? I know there's a Tamron 18-300, but it's darker at F3.5-6.3

(I posted this in the photography thread instead first, sorry)

Honestly having a small gap in focal length should never bother you, as you can compensate by zooming with your feet easily. It's also why you can get away with like two to three primes at certain types of shoots since you'll be able to compensate in other ways. I'd base myself on whether you need the 300mm or not and of course the price, because I don't know if there's a large difference between them.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly having a small gap in focal length should never bother you, as you can compensate by zooming with your feet easily. It's also why you can get away with like two to three primes at certain types of shoots since you'll be able to compensate in other ways. I'd base myself on whether you need the 300mm or not and of course the price, because I don't know if there's a large difference between them.
With Fuji I'm literally running around with a bunch of primes and some really bizarre gaps...let's see. 16-55 (only zoom) then I think FF equivalent primes of 27, 49 (whatever the 33 is), 75, 85, 135...and then straight to fucking 300 LOL

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Hmm, yeah I suppose the 20mm gap is not a big deal. I eventually also want to get a "travel" lens with a longer range than 18-50, but that's for way later. I'm actually not sure if I would use the 300 end of it, but it's better to have it than miss it, right.

Price wise, looking at them second hand, 55-200 is cheaper, but it's also negligible for me. It's not a deciding factor. I will pay a bit more if it means I get a better lens.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Neurothrope1.JPG
Anybody have an experience shooting macro with micro 4/3s?
I've been enjoying shooting my models from time to time but my smaller models are definitely too small to get it all in focus.
Feel like a macro lens would be more fun then focus stacking, plus I could use it for video.
Thinking about getting an Olympus 30mm f/3.5 Macro. Pretty cheap.
A macro lens won't help you with this: you can stop down the lens you are currently using to get a wider depth of field. Macro lenses will help you get a greater magnification level, but you're still going to need to stop down and possibly focus stack. Some m43 cameras will focus stack in camera though.

In terms of lens selection, they are all good. I like the 60mm Olympus because it has a focus limiter but you'll need to have more working distance due to the focal length.

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
Went to the local Leica Store to check out the SL3 and Q3. They also showed me the new M11-P. Walked out with a used M11. Such a nice camera. Back to basics for me!

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019

I've pretty much only used a 23 mm (35mm) on my Fuji for the last 7/8 years. But I guess my photography is EDC/Topographical type stuff and I havn't felt the need to use anything else. Keeps my gear light and saves getting bogged down in decisions. However having some creeping GAS over the last week I have just ordered the 33mm 1.4 which will go on my XT5 and the Pro 3 will have the 23mm. Both light enough to carry around in a bigger camera bag.

I have been getting the inkling to get a bigger camera though, perhaps a Z camera (Second hand 7II perhaps) or a GFX50sii, something I can stick on a tripod and shoot. Become a bit too carefree with my shooting (which has its own merits I guess) but I take a lot of shit. I used to shoot a lot of medium format and I miss being slower and more methodical and setting up a photo. It's where I feel most comfortable I guess.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I was looking at picking up an Olympus E-M5 for my girlfriend but the prices shot up everywhere the moment MPB put out two sponsored videos on M43... 🙃

In an ideal world she wants a Fuji but her budget (around £150) doesn't allow for that.

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna pick up a new Sony E APS-C lens for a trip to the mountains at the end of the month.
Currently I have a Sony E 35mm f/1.8 and a Sony E 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 G.
Also I have the Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, that was included with my a6400, but I really don't enjoy the photos it produces, so I really don't want to use it.
Ideally I want to spend around 400-600 Euros, but I can stretch my budget if it's a worthwile investment.

I want to pick up something wider than 35mm, I was considering one of the following lenses:
  • Sigma Contemporary 16mm 1.4 DC DN
  • Sigma Contemporary 23mm 1.4 DC DN
  • Sony E PZ 10-20mm 4.0 G
Not sure wether to go for 16mm or 23mm or instead just pick up a wide zoom like the 10-20mm, but I really enjoy the wide aperture of a prime lens.

Alternatively I was thinking to just replace the standard zoom with another standard zoom lens instead, to have something more universal
  • Sigma Contemporary 18-50mm 2.8 DC DN
  • Sony E 16-55mm 2.8 G
The Sony E 16-55mm G is a bit more pricey than I'd like, and I'm not sure if it's 500 bucks better than the Sigma, for that price I could pick up a Sigman prime and the zoom lens together. On the other side I'm really happy with my Sony 70-350m G, I think it's an amazing lens.
I also saw the Tamron lens, but I already ruled that one out.

EDIT: I mean, I almost answered this to myself, but ArthurR seems to be really convinded by the Sigma 18-50mm over the Sony 16-55, considering the price: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7E0_OutP_0

I guess I might pick up one of the Sigma prime lenses and maybe get the Sigma zoom lens end of year (black friday) or next year.
But I'm still not sure about to go for 16mm or 23mm.

Last edited:

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I wanna pick up a new Sony E APS-C lens for a trip to the mountains at the end of the month.
Currently I have a Sony E 35mm f/1.8 and a Sony E 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 G.
Also I have the Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens, that was included with my a6400, but I really don't enjoy the photos it produces, so I really don't want to use it.
Ideally I want to spend around 400-600 Euros, but I can stretch my budget if it's a worthwile investment.

I want to pick up something wider than 35mm, I was considering one of the following lenses:
  • Sigma Contemporary 16mm 1.4 DC DN
  • Sigma Contemporary 23mm 1.4 DC DN
  • Sony E PZ 10-20mm 4.0 G
Not sure wether to go for 16mm or 23mm or instead just pick up a wide zoom like the 10-20mm, but I really enjoy the wide aperture of a prime lens.

Alternatively I was thinking to just replace the standard zoom with another standard zoom lens instead, to have something more universal
  • Sigma Contemporary 18-50mm 2.8 DC DN
  • Sony E 16-55mm 2.8 G
The Sony E 16-55mm G is a bit more pricey than I'd like, and I'm not sure if it's 500 bucks better than the Sigma, for that price I could pick up a Sigman prime and the zoom lens together. On the other side I'm really happy with my Sony 70-350m G, I think it's an amazing lens.
I also saw the Tamron lens, but I already ruled that one out.

EDIT: I mean, I almost answered this to myself, but ArthurR seems to be really convinded by the Sigma 18-50mm over the Sony 16-55, considering the price: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7E0_OutP_0

I guess I might pick up one of the Sigma prime lenses and maybe get the Sigma zoom lens end of year (black friday) or next year.
But I'm still not sure about to go for 16mm or 23mm.
Lol, I was just looking at the Sigma. Seems a pretty reasonable compromise. Pretty compact, reasonably priced and with pretty good optics.
I'm stuck right now with the kit 16-50mm (for native lenses) and yeah, I agree, I don't like the photos it produces, but until I get a new camera, I;m only buying cheap lenses.
I've the ttartisan 25mm f2 coming, I hope it's good.

Oct 25, 2017
So I just ordered a Sony E 16-55mm 2.8 G, actually AthurR convinced me to get it 🙈
He posted a video some time ago, where he compared that lens to the Sigma trio and it was pretty sharp compared to the trio, in some cases even sharper.

So I did some looking around, the trio would cost 1150 Euros over here, the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 is 550 Euros right now and the Sony is 1000 Euros new.
However I found a seller on eBay that got the Sony 16-55mm in a bundle with the 6700 and is selling the unopened and unused lens for 790 Euro.
On the used market it goes around 700 - 750 Euros. So if I don't like it, I can pawn still pawn it off for minimal loss.

As I mostly want to use my kit for travel, I think I now have a pretty rounded setup and don't have to carry multiple primes, a tele and another zoom.

I hope everything goes well with the ebay stuff and the lens is as described, but the seller has over 1000 positive seller ratings since 1999 and the offer has buyers protection.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cinestill brought out 400D in 4x5. Their first batch is pretty small and has 37 available as of this post

cinestillfilm.com

400Dynamic Versatile Color Negative Film, 4x5

In 2022, we announced our 400Dynamic Film Maker Campaign with the goal of bringing a new 400 speed, daylight-balanced color film to the photo community in 35mm, 120 Medium Format, and with the stretch goal of 4x5 Large Format. Thanks to the amazing FILM MAKERS that supported the campaign, we...

It's 25 sheets for $110. Pretty good deal I think. In 120 format I prefer portra 400 a little bit more and I've never shot in large format before. That being said the price for portra 400 in 4x5 is way more per sheet. This seem like a more cost effective way to shoot 4x5 Color(if you like the effect the 400d has that is)

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So I got a cheap body cap lens for my Sony. And it works without an issue. Very small aperture of 1/10, but that's expected.
But I've just noticed that it says it's for ef-m inside the lens.
Can anyone confirm that ef-m body caps work on e-mount?
Flange distance is the same and inner diameter is close enough, but I didn't know it work so well, can't feel wobble in the "mount".

Also, does anyone have any experience with the cheap peak-design-like straps? I can't justify 50 Euros per camera, but I've grown tired of having the strap flapping everywhere.

Last edited:

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I doubt it. The bayonet would have to be exactly the same. Otherwise you're likely going to get it stuck on there.

Oct 25, 2017
I know I know, but the cap says it's for ef-m and my camera is e-mount, could body caps be somewhat compatible between the two?
I'm gonna have to ask a friend that has a M50 to test it.
If they ain't the same diameter no. This would be like me trying to use my F mount body cap on an Canon EF camera. A lot of the brand stuff is just straight exclusive to that brand. Even the mundane shit like lens and body caps. Hot shoe mount covers might be a different story, but basically if you're in a mount your in a mount. Lens caps are different as long as the mm filter size is the same.

Oct 25, 2017
So my Sony E 16-55mm arrived today, and it was, in fact, brand new. The box hasn't been opened once. Looks like I got a decent deal.
Can't wait to try it out, but the weather today was a bit shite.
My only 'issue' is that it barely fits into my 3L sling mounted onto my 6400, together with the Sony E 70-350.

I was on a quest to replace that anyway. I learned that I don't enjoy the sling-style bags, since the whole weight rests on one shoulder and I don't have a way to carry a bottle of water (at least on mine and most others).

So I've been obsessing over it for the last couple of days, and I think I've finally found the perfect backpack for myself.

My most important criteria for a camera backpack are (at least some) weather resistance, lightweight, not too huge/bulky, camera access from the back, not too expensive, enough space for my setup, and as a bonus, a rain cover included. Those make the selection pretty small already.

First, I found the Crumpler Barrel, through a recommendation of a friend. It almost checks all the boxes; however, it's advertised as 20 liters, but when I did the maths, it turns out it's 30 liters. I was already skeptical because the outer dimensions seemed similar to my 30L Office backpack. I guess the camera compartment is 10 liters, so the rest is 20 liters or something along that line. Probably a really nice backpack, but too bulky for my taste.

After that, I considered getting a camera cube instead, because I like the idea of being able to turn every backpack into a camera backpack. However, I would've needed to purchase a new backpack as well because my hiking backpack is too small, my office backpack is too large and not weather resistant. And on second thought, I don't like having to dig for my camera equipment at the bottom of my backpack between the other stuff I'd like to put in there.

Then I did some more searching, and I found this article by Wired, which had a lot of good recommendations. After a lot of comparing, reading, and watching reviews, I almost wanted to give up unsatisfied, but then I found the Manfrotto Street Slim in there. It ticks pretty much all the boxes; it is cheaper than most other options, and you can even remove the camera compartment to use it as a regular backpack. The only downsides are the lack of a rain cover, the color (which is okay, but not my favorite), and one review criticized the thinly padded shoulder straps.

I wanted to order it anyway, but I had one final look at the honorable mentions in the article, where I noticed one that didn't make it because the author would've preferred it to have quick access. However, I don't care for quick access (and I don't think the Manfrotto has it either), and it actually checks all the boxes: the Tenba Fulton v2. Not the 16L, but the 14L, which has the same dimensions as the Manfrotto Street Slim, has an 'all-weather' variant with a rain cover included. I very much prefer the selection of colors (although I'll be getting the all-weather variant, while I would've preferred just black), and the shoulder straps seem to be much nicer. It's a bit pricier than the Manfrotto, however the price is still pretty decent compared to all the other camera backpacks, and for me personally, the upsides outweigh the price increase.

As a bonus I've never had a roll-top backpack, but it could be pretty neat. Depending on the weather, I want to have the option to cram my hoodie and/or my jacket into the top compartment, so with the roll-top, I can have a bit more space when I need it.

Maybe my whole odyssey can help someone looking for something similar, but still backpacks are so subjective and individual.

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
For bags, I recently got the Wotancraft Pilot, 3.5L sling and am enjoying it a lot. I had the 2L at first but decided it was too small for me so I swapped.

I like to pop my camera in and out of my bag quickly for a few shots, so I wanted something that seemed secure and weatherproof enough, but without the hassle of zippers, and the fidlock buckle fit my needs perfectly.
new_pilot_fidlock_gif.gif

This bag along with the Peak Design micro clutch made it pretty easy for me to use my camera with just one hand in a pinch when I needed to. The bag's also pretty customizable, with a bunch of add on pockets you can attach, so I grabbed the zipper pouch for my phone and drawstring pouch for a water bottle. These pockets can both be standalone slings as well which is nice.
20221022-module.jpg

It definitely doesn't look as sleek after all the attachments, but it's easy enough to take them off when I won't be carrying as much.

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
For bags, I recently got the Wotancraft Pilot, 3.5L sling and am enjoying it a lot. I had the 2L at first but decided it was too small for me so I swapped.

I like to pop my camera in and out of my bag quickly for a few shots, so I wanted something that seemed secure and weatherproof enough, but without the hassle of zippers, and the fidlock buckle fit my needs perfectly.
new_pilot_fidlock_gif.gif

This bag along with the Peak Design micro clutch made it pretty easy for me to use my camera with just one hand in a pinch when I needed to. The bag's also pretty customizable, with a bunch of add on pockets you can attach, so I grabbed the zipper pouch for my phone and drawstring pouch for a water bottle. These pockets can both be standalone slings as well which is nice.
20221022-module.jpg

It definitely doesn't look as sleek after all the attachments, but it's easy enough to take them off when I won't be carrying as much.

That is a great looking bag..next time im in the market I'm going to look up Wotancrafts stuff.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I went to a yoyo contest on Saturday (my son was competing), and the contest organizer, a friend, saw me there with my camera and asked if I could take photos for him..."I'll pay you!" So I took 5000 photos of a yoyo contest on Saturday. I was using back button focus. And now the tip of my thumb on my right hand is numb. Still. After 4 days.

Anyone else ever have this thumb numbness happen? (I know, go see a doctor.) Anyone have any other photography related injuries?

The lighting was a nightmare. I shot at ISO 6400 (ISO didn't really matter because my Sony A7IV is ISO invariant...an amazing feature) and 1/400th, 1/500th, and 1/640th of a second all day. The photos were underexposed at that ISO. The noise was not great! The Sony auto focus was impeccable, though. It rarely missed with the 70-200 GMII!

But I eventually edited 600 photos and used a mild noise reduction (AI would have taken too long and it smoothed out facial features too much). In the end, the photos went on a Facebook album so it didn't matter too much because the max resolution is 2048 pixels on a side.

fHPjkeX.jpeg

5LLZk4u.jpeg

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Normally I like what the AI denoise does, but it was really smoothing out face features more than I liked in this case. Features were just disappearing. I've had some strange cases in the past where AI denoise took a while to run, but my PC may have been loaded down or something because I just tried it and it took around 10 to 15 seconds. Still, I didn't like the result at all with these photos.

As for the number of photos, there were 80 different yoyo players competing. There was no way to end up with just 50 to 100 photos. Did I go a little overboard? Yeah, definitely!

Here's an example of the AI denoise. The skin just looks airbrushed to me. This was at the default 50%. Even dialed back, it didn't look natural to me.

E9LZVV0.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
My brain randomly decided that I really really want a Fuji X100VI now.
Do I need it? Of course not, but it's a really nice EDC cam.
The focal lenght is one of my favorites, it doesn't feel as crammed as 50mm equivalent.
I could afford it, but I just bought an expensive lens and a new backpack.
Good that it isn't available anyways.

I wanted to order it anyway, but I had one final look at the honorable mentions in the article, where I noticed one that didn't make it because the author would've preferred it to have quick access. However, I don't care for quick access (and I don't think the Manfrotto has it either), and it actually checks all the boxes: the Tenba Fulton v2. Not the 16L, but the 14L, which has the same dimensions as the Manfrotto Street Slim, has an 'all-weather' variant with a rain cover included. I very much prefer the selection of colors (although I'll be getting the all-weather variant, while I would've preferred just black), and the shoulder straps seem to be much nicer. It's a bit pricier than the Manfrotto, however the price is still pretty decent compared to all the other camera backpacks, and for me personally, the upsides outweigh the price increase.

As a bonus I've never had a roll-top backpack, but it could be pretty neat. Depending on the weather, I want to have the option to cram my hoodie and/or my jacket into the top compartment, so with the roll-top, I can have a bit more space when I need it.

Maybe my whole odyssey can help someone looking for something similar, but still backpacks are so subjective and individual.
The Tenba Fulton 14L arrived today, it's really nice and I like it a lot.
My setup fits in perfectly and I still have space for one more small lens (or a Fuji X100VI 👀)
The top compartment is a bit smaller than expected, but it's good enough.
Wasn't too big of a fan of the camoflague, but it's subtle enough for my taste.

vsmjf956.jpg

TGM3

Oct 26, 2017
I went to a yoyo contest on Saturday (my son was competing), and the contest organizer, a friend, saw me there with my camera and asked if I could take photos for him..."I'll pay you!" So I took 5000 photos of a yoyo contest on Saturday. I was using back button focus. And now the tip of my thumb on my right hand is numb. Still. After 4 days.

Anyone else ever have this thumb numbness happen? (I know, go see a doctor.) Anyone have any other photography related injuries?

The lighting was a nightmare. I shot at ISO 6400 (ISO didn't really matter because my Sony A7IV is ISO invariant...an amazing feature) and 1/400th, 1/500th, and 1/640th of a second all day. The photos were underexposed at that ISO. The noise was not great! The Sony auto focus was impeccable, though. It rarely missed with the 70-200 GMII!

But I eventually edited 600 photos and used a mild noise reduction (AI would have taken too long and it smoothed out facial features too much). In the end, the photos went on a Facebook album so it didn't matter too much because the max resolution is 2048 pixels on a side.

I shot a convention last year on the A7IV with the Sigma 35-150 2.8 and after two days of running around I had a fair bit of hand & finger pains for about a week. It was the first time I'd ever shot anything like that so I really wasn't well enough equiped for it. Were you handholding the camera the entire time?

I also had a somewhat similar experience with lightrooms AI denoise where, at times, it would leave the skin looking unnaturally smooth, as if it was an oil painting, but most of them turned out really well concidering the circumstances. The stage lighting was extremely dark and I was shooting far back so the ISO was jumping to 10,000 at times at 1/250.

Here's an example:
image.png

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017

Really, just put Eye-AF to human (might change priority to highest), autofocus area to wide and AF-C on and just use half press and most shots will be hits. Never had any injuries but most photos I took in a day was 1500. Sounds like you mainly overstrained some nerves, should gradually have better by now if not indeed go see a doctor. Definitely if you see darkening of skin.

Indoor event lighting is often horrible. To do it well you'd actually need some off camera flash which also helps with freezing motion and keeping shutter speed low so the environment still looks good at low ISO. Time to get that Godox AD600 haha. Or try a fast prime lens, like 50mm F1.2 or 135mm F1.8 that can get ISO low enough so that you're not breaking the 'noise turns to shit' barrier.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
The trouble with using a flash at a competition is that it is distracting to competitors. Hopefully next time I can convince them to bring some lighting.

My thumb's numbness had subsided somewhat. But I did just carry my camera all over New York City for 3 days (20 miles of walking), so I may have slowed the recovery, but it didn't seem to get any worse!

I visited B&H in NYC yesterday. If you ever get a chance to visit B&H, do it! I got to play with the new Sony A9III. I was not prepared for how fast 128 photos per second was! It outputs a sound every time a photo is taken, even though there isn't a shutter. It just sounds like a buzz. I also got to use an A7RV and an A1. The A7RV was really nice, with the multi-articulating screen. The screen and EVF were both noticeably better than my A7IV. The tracking auto-focus was also noticeably better.

I saw the 70-200 f/4 GMII lens, and wow that lens is tiny for what it is.

I asked the advice of the two people at the Sony booth about the 200-600 Sony GM and the 150-600 Sigma Sport lens, and they both said the Sigma was very good. And then they mentioned that I could go over to another desk with my own camera, ask to see the lenses and take photos with them, take them home and go over the photos. Unreal! So I did!

Holy crap the Sony lens is heavy. It solidified in my head that this is a lens that you take somewhere with a specific purpose. It is also BIG, even without the lens hood. The AF worked just fine, as you would expect.

The Sigma is also quite heavy, but it felt a bit lighter. I haven't looked up the weights yet, but maybe it was just because it is more compact when it isn't zoomed. Once you zoom it to 600mm, the entire weight profile changes (external zoom) and the front gets really heavy. But because it zooms externally, it packs up smaller than the Sony. The Autofocus might have actually been a little bit better than the Sony? But maybe that's just because I was using different targets for each lens.

I kind of decided that I don't quite need this yet, mainly due to the weight, but I'll watch out for any deals.

I posted some of my sunset photos from Top of the Rock using my 24-70 GMII and my 70-200GMII in the photo thread. That 70-200 GMII is an incredibly sharp lens, and skyline/building photos really show it off, even at f2.8.

www.resetera.com

Photography ERA |OT| OT

I just got back from NYC. I took way too many photos, so expect a few from me as I go through them. The first batch is from Top of the Rock at sunset. I took these with my Sony A7IV and my 70-200 f2.8 GMII. The wind was HOWLING up there. Must have had 30mph gusts or more. The IBIS was working...

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking a bit on the kit I'm taking to Iceland. We have a rental car so weight is less of an issue although I still want to minimise what I need to carry during hiking. Was first thinking of taking the 50 F1.2 GM and the 70-200 GMII and complement that with the 16-35 GMII but I think I will not go for that and just carry my 35 GM and 20 G primes. That's four lenses and a bit more lens changes that will be needed, but I can't justify the 2700 euro for a lens I'd use on one trip only. I also don't feel the 16mm will be that big of a loss if I have the 20mm. Plus everything is incredibly sharp at all apertures so I'm at max image quality.

The new 16-25 G looks pretty good but is same weight as the 20 G and doesn't solve the problem of a fourth lens either. God I wish there was a cheapish 16mm F2.8 prime from Sony or so, I'd just carry that and the 24-70 GMII in a heartbeat.

The trouble with using a flash at a competition is that it is distracting to competitors. Hopefully next time I can convince them to bring some lighting.

My thumb's numbness had subsided somewhat. But I did just carry my camera all over New York City for 3 days (20 miles of walking), so I may have slowed the recovery, but it didn't seem to get any worse!

I visited B&H in NYC yesterday. If you ever get a chance to visit B&H, do it! I got to play with the new Sony A9III. I was not prepared for how fast 128 photos per second was! It outputs a sound every time a photo is taken, even though there isn't a shutter. It just sounds like a buzz. I also got to use an A7RV and an A1. The A7RV was really nice, with the multi-articulating screen. The screen and EVF were both noticeably better than my A7IV. The tracking auto-focus was also noticeably better.

I saw the 70-200 f/4 GMII lens, and wow that lens is tiny for what it is.

I asked the advice of the two people at the Sony booth about the 200-600 Sony GM and the 150-600 Sigma Sport lens, and they both said the Sigma was very good. And then they mentioned that I could go over to another desk with my own camera, ask to see the lenses and take photos with them, take them home and go over the photos. Unreal! So I did!

Holy crap the Sony lens is heavy. It solidified in my head that this is a lens that you take somewhere with a specific purpose. It is also BIG, even without the lens hood. The AF worked just fine, as you would expect.

The Sigma is also quite heavy, but it felt a bit lighter. I haven't looked up the weights yet, but maybe it was just because it is more compact when it isn't zoomed. Once you zoom it to 600mm, the entire weight profile changes (external zoom) and the front gets really heavy. But because it zooms externally, it packs up smaller than the Sony. The Autofocus might have actually been a little bit better than the Sony? But maybe that's just because I was using different targets for each lens.

I kind of decided that I don't quite need this yet, mainly due to the weight, but I'll watch out for any deals.

I posted some of my sunset photos from Top of the Rock using my 24-70 GMII and my 70-200GMII in the photo thread. That 70-200 GMII is an incredibly sharp lens, and skyline/building photos really show it off, even at f2.8.

www.resetera.com

Photography ERA |OT| OT

I just got back from NYC. I took way too many photos, so expect a few from me as I go through them. The first batch is from Top of the Rock at sunset. I took these with my Sony A7IV and my 70-200 f2.8 GMII. The wind was HOWLING up there. Must have had 30mph gusts or more. The IBIS was working...

You should buy the 1.4x TC and tell me how it performs with the 70-200. I haven't held the 200-600 yet but it's 10cm longer than the 70-200 so obviously there's also quite a bit of lever that's causing the heavy feeling. I'd just wait until they update the 200-600, that should come in a year or two I feel as I think they'd want to have more 'budget' long options.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Was thinking a bit on the kit I'm taking to Iceland. We have a rental car so weight is less of an issue although I still want to minimise what I need to carry during hiking. Was first thinking of taking the 50 F1.2 GM and the 70-200 GMII and complement that with the 16-35 GMII but I think I will not go for that and just carry my 35 GM and 20 G primes. That's four lenses and a bit more lens changes that will be needed, but I can't justify the 2700 euro for a lens I'd use on one trip only. I also don't feel the 16mm will be that big of a loss if I have the 20mm. Plus everything is incredibly sharp at all apertures so I'm at max image quality.

The new 16-25 G looks pretty good but is same weight as the 20 G and doesn't solve the problem of a fourth lens either. God I wish there was a cheapish 16mm F2.8 prime from Sony or so, I'd just carry that and the 24-70 GMII in a heartbeat.

You should buy the 1.4x TC and tell me how it performs with the 70-200. I haven't held the 200-600 yet but it's 10cm longer than the 70-200 so obviously there's also quite a bit of lever that's causing the heavy feeling. I'd just wait until they update the 200-600, that should come in a year or two I feel as I think they'd want to have more 'budget' long options.

Get the $550 Viltrox 16mm f1.8! It's a phenomenal lens at any price! But it's a steal at $550! I own the lens and it's awesome.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Get the $550 Viltrox 16mm f1.8! It's a phenomenal lens at any price! But it's a steal at $550! I own the lens and it's awesome.

Damn that actually looks great and what I'd need, albeit slightly larger than what I'd want. On the other hand, it would still cost me 650 euro (thanks VAT) plus I'd also need to buy the 24-70 GM2 before the trip. Even though it's a lens I'd definitely use way more and plan to buy in the near future, still a lot of money. Right now I'm remaining in the four lens camp, but maybe I'll buy the Viltrox 16mm and take that along instead of the Sony 20mm. Can always see what's the best option the month before the trip.

Plus I'd want to see what the rumoured Sony 24-70 F2.0 turns out to be, although I assume it will be a 1.5kg+ beast.