• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

CamERA Equipment |OT| Photon Capturing Comparison Club

Oct 25, 2017
Not bloody likely with Sony, lol. Can't even add a fucking color to the AF point selection box.

There are a number of reasons to stay with the A7RII from what I've read, it adapts lenses with faster burst speeds and has extra phone apps that got stripped away for the R3.
Damn, maybe I don't have to get an RIII and just wait for an RIV or something or just stick full on with the RII.

Oct 25, 2017
Really just depends on your needs I think. If you don't do action photography or extreme low light or need the battery life or AF joystick, the R2 seems like a fine camera.
I'm an event photographer and I don't really do time lapse stuff so I guess as some point the RIII will make sense. I already have 4 batteries for this camera so I think for the most part I should be fine with this for event work.

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest learning curve on the Sony so far is having to check EVF/LCD for my current triangle settings. I got very, very used to the X-H1 top screen, holy crap didn't anticipate how much I'd miss such a thing.

Even just taking test shots, I have taken a few with apertures way off from what I'd thought I set it to.
Interesting. I always thought that thing was stupid as hell on a mirrorless camera, especially with a Fuji since you already can manually set your Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO with physical dials even when the camera is off. You can also *see* the effects of your settings with mirrorless, so it just seems like a pointless feature to me. I'd rather have an Exposure Compensation dial, but then again, everyone works differently.

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I always thought that thing was stupid as hell on a mirrorless camera, especially with a Fuji since you already can manually set your Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO with physical dials even when the camera is off. You can also *see* the effects of your settings with mirrorless, so it just seems like a pointless feature to me. I'd rather have an Exposure Compensation dial, but then again, everyone works differently.
Trust me when I say that sometimes you want to know what your camera is at before you even put it to your face.

Oct 25, 2017
Trust me when I say that sometimes you want to know what your camera is at before you even put it to your face.
Absolutely, but like, with a Fuji camera, you already have your physical dials, and if you have the LCD set to display that info, it will be on there, too (needs to be turned on). Just seems extremely redundant on the X-H1. The same exposure information is displayed in 4 separate locations (Rear LCD, EVF, physical dials, top LCD) when turned on.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, but like, with a Fuji camera, you already have your physical dials, and if you have the LCD set to display that info, it will be on there, too (needs to be turned on). Just seems extremely redundant on the X-H1. The same exposure information is displayed in 4 separate locations (Rear LCD, EVF, physical dials, top LCD) when turned on.
Actually if you really want to know how I run my Fuji's I pretty much just have them on EVF only, I actually wouldn't mind the top screen and wish I could just go EVF only on the A7RII.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually if you really want to know how I run my Fuji's I pretty much just have them on EVF only, I actually wouldn't mind the top screen and wish I could just go EVF only on the A7RII.
I believe you can through this method:

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/taming-the-a7rii-evflcd-autoswitching/

I think I've said it before, but I shoot primarily via the rear LCD just because it gives me more freedom in framing and let's me more easily keep an eye on my surroundings and there is no real downside in terms of performance in doing so unlike DSLRs. I do use the EVF, too, primarily when shooting with really long focal lengths and trying to track a moving subject that's far away.

Oct 27, 2017
www.instagram.com
Yeah, I never really use the rear LCD for anything short of composing weird angles with the screen flipped out, so then it's between looking at my lens and two dials and remembering each setting, or glancing at the top screen once (which also shows me battery/exposure comp/SD status, and can also be glanced at once and quickly when removing the camera from my backpack in the event a setting got flipped while in there). If you're a rear LCD shooter, then the top LCD becomes more redundant.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe you can through this method:

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/taming-the-a7rii-evflcd-autoswitching/

I think I've said it before, but I shoot primarily via the rear LCD just because it gives me more freedom in framing and let's me more easily keep an eye on my surroundings and there is no real downside in terms of performance in doing so unlike DSLRs. I do use the EVF, too, primarily when shooting with really long focal lengths and trying to track a moving subject that's far away.
That actually doesn't seem too bad. I like using the LCD when I want to shoot at a really odd angle, but otherwise I'd rather just have the LCD off just for battery consumption. I know we shoot different so I don't mind how you do it.