• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
all of the fuck ups should be ironed out
Not bloody likely with Sony, lol. Can't even add a fucking color to the AF point selection box.

There are a number of reasons to stay with the A7RII from what I've read, it adapts lenses with faster burst speeds and has extra phone apps that got stripped away for the R3.

Oct 25, 2017
Not bloody likely with Sony, lol. Can't even add a fucking color to the AF point selection box.

There are a number of reasons to stay with the A7RII from what I've read, it adapts lenses with faster burst speeds and has extra phone apps that got stripped away for the R3.
Damn, maybe I don't have to get an RIII and just wait for an RIV or something or just stick full on with the RII.

Oct 25, 2017
Really just depends on your needs I think. If you don't do action photography or extreme low light or need the battery life or AF joystick, the R2 seems like a fine camera.
I'm an event photographer and I don't really do time lapse stuff so I guess as some point the RIII will make sense. I already have 4 batteries for this camera so I think for the most part I should be fine with this for event work.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest learning curve on the Sony so far is having to check EVF/LCD for my current triangle settings. I got very, very used to the X-H1 top screen, holy crap didn't anticipate how much I'd miss such a thing.

Even just taking test shots, I have taken a few with apertures way off from what I'd thought I set it to.

Interesting. I always thought that thing was stupid as hell on a mirrorless camera, especially with a Fuji since you already can manually set your Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO with physical dials even when the camera is off. You can also *see* the effects of your settings with mirrorless, so it just seems like a pointless feature to me. I'd rather have an Exposure Compensation dial, but then again, everyone works differently.

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I always thought that thing was stupid as hell on a mirrorless camera, especially with a Fuji since you already can manually set your Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO with physical dials even when the camera is off. You can also *see* the effects of your settings with mirrorless, so it just seems like a pointless feature to me. I'd rather have an Exposure Compensation dial, but then again, everyone works differently.
Trust me when I say that sometimes you want to know what your camera is at before you even put it to your face.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trust me when I say that sometimes you want to know what your camera is at before you even put it to your face.

Absolutely, but like, with a Fuji camera, you already have your physical dials, and if you have the LCD set to display that info, it will be on there, too (needs to be turned on). Just seems extremely redundant on the X-H1. The same exposure information is displayed in 4 separate locations (Rear LCD, EVF, physical dials, top LCD) when turned on.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, but like, with a Fuji camera, you already have your physical dials, and if you have the LCD set to display that info, it will be on there, too (needs to be turned on). Just seems extremely redundant on the X-H1. The same exposure information is displayed in 4 separate locations (Rear LCD, EVF, physical dials, top LCD) when turned on.
Actually if you really want to know how I run my Fuji's I pretty much just have them on EVF only, I actually wouldn't mind the top screen and wish I could just go EVF only on the A7RII.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually if you really want to know how I run my Fuji's I pretty much just have them on EVF only, I actually wouldn't mind the top screen and wish I could just go EVF only on the A7RII.

I believe you can through this method:

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/taming-the-a7rii-evflcd-autoswitching/

I think I've said it before, but I shoot primarily via the rear LCD just because it gives me more freedom in framing and let's me more easily keep an eye on my surroundings and there is no real downside in terms of performance in doing so unlike DSLRs. I do use the EVF, too, primarily when shooting with really long focal lengths and trying to track a moving subject that's far away.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I never really use the rear LCD for anything short of composing weird angles with the screen flipped out, so then it's between looking at my lens and two dials and remembering each setting, or glancing at the top screen once (which also shows me battery/exposure comp/SD status, and can also be glanced at once and quickly when removing the camera from my backpack in the event a setting got flipped while in there). If you're a rear LCD shooter, then the top LCD becomes more redundant.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe you can through this method:

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/taming-the-a7rii-evflcd-autoswitching/

I think I've said it before, but I shoot primarily via the rear LCD just because it gives me more freedom in framing and let's me more easily keep an eye on my surroundings and there is no real downside in terms of performance in doing so unlike DSLRs. I do use the EVF, too, primarily when shooting with really long focal lengths and trying to track a moving subject that's far away.
That actually doesn't seem too bad. I like using the LCD when I want to shoot at a really odd angle, but otherwise I'd rather just have the LCD off just for battery consumption. I know we shoot different so I don't mind how you do it.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, 2019 is shaping up to be a very interesting year for Sony users. All of these possibly hitting next year:

Tamron 70-200
Tamron 100-400
Sony 35 1.8
Sony 135 1.8

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found a deal on the MC-11 adapter and finally decided to pick it up. Unfortunately, it didn't come with the proprietary USB cable, so I can't tell what version it's on, but I picked up a dirt cheap Canon 40mm f/2.8 lens to go along with it and even though most impressions online say it barely works on the adapter, I'm getting some decent results in initial tests. C-AF works across most of the frame, although the right-hand 20% or so of focus points will not respond at all. Continous eye-AF seems to work great, though. I think I really might like this focal length even more than 35mm...

Reckoner

Oct 26, 2017
Is the X100F worth $350 more over the X100T? What do you guys think of the differences between the two?

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
F gives you better burst, the modern X-Trans 24mp sensor, and...most importantly...Acros. I'd go with the F over the T any day.

Oct 25, 2017
Would you say the difference is very noticeable? I want to use it mainly as a "pocket" and travel camera, for quick snaps.
You might. Mainly it depends on if you can life without an AF joystick and tolerate a much slower AF system since the tech in the T predates all of the improvements made during the X-T2 time. The F is a much better camera than the T though

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any of my outdoor shooting compatriots using the PD Capture Camera Clip on their packs? A lot of folks at FM are swearing by it, wanted a little more feedback before I throw $70 at a piece of metal.

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/capture

7_a54fb4f4-b1ba-4d8c-ab49-849b3d1ef933_1024x1024.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Any of my outdoor shooting compatriots using the PD Capture Camera Clip on their packs? A lot of folks at FM are swearing by it, wanted a little more feedback before I throw $70 at a piece of metal.

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/capture
The Capture clips are godlike. It'll take a bit of practice before you can just slide it in, but it's really secure, can be locked, and is way better than a sling for when you're around and moving. Typically if I'm walking around, I'll have my camera attached to the leash, and then the Capture clip on my hip. That way, I can have it clipped on and not dangling/swinging around as I walk around, have my arms free, but still have it tethered for in case something happens while I'm using it.

Using it on a backpack works better than a belt clip, mainly due to the weight of having a camera on your hip. That being said, I use mine almost exclusively on my hip due to never wearing backpacks, and I'm super happy with it.

If you plan on using it on your belt though, I'd definitely consider getting that belt loop pad thing they have, it's more comfortable that way.

If only they'd make a Capture Lens for Fuji. &_& It's the only thing I regret about switching is they don't make that.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would never wear it on my belt, only on the chest portion of my Osprey hiking pack. Thanks for the feedback.

edit: just watched the video for the Capture Lens, that's a pretty nifty idea.

Oct 25, 2017
I would never wear it on my belt, only on the chest portion of my Osprey hiking pack. Thanks for the feedback.
Yeah, if that's the case, then the Capture series is amazing; if PD ever makes a Fuji compatible Capture Lens, definitely keep an eye out for that -- used one with my Sony and it was godlike, probably more useful than just the Capture for the camera.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would you say the difference is very noticeable? I want to use it mainly as a "pocket" and travel camera, for quick snaps.

Image quality-wise, you probably won't see a huge difference. I mean, the F will be better, but if you're just viewing JPEGs without zooming, you might not notice.

The F is a much more usable camera. The AF on even the F is honestly not that reliable and it really helps to be able to quickly select a specific point with the focus point selector. Without that or a touch screen, it would probably be rather frustrating to use unless all you were taking is completely still subjects and landscapes and such.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So my HR dept at work is looking for a camera to do video packages of things happening around the company, interviews, trade show footage, etc. and are barking up my tree for recommendations.

I don't really do video ever. They do want 4K, so I'm leaning at pointing them towards an A7III so they could have nice stills for promo stuff as well. I would also think giving them an IBIS camera would make sense for these use cases, vs something like an XT3. Plus the big battery is one less thing for them to think about. Thoughts on if that's a good idea, or what lenses you'd pair for general video use?

Oct 25, 2017
So my HR dept at work is looking for a camera to do video packages of things happening around the company, interviews, trade show footage, etc. and are barking up my tree for recommendations.

I don't really do video ever. They do want 4K, so I'm leaning at pointing them towards an A7III so they could have nice stills for promo stuff as well. I would also think giving them an IBIS camera would make sense for these use cases, vs something like an XT3. Plus the big battery is one less thing for them to think about. Thoughts on if that's a good idea, or what lenses you'd pair for general video use?
That's perfectly fine and a better bargain than the A7SII, which is a camera that I'm not even sure why people are still buying. Are you recommending that they buy some glass? Sony glass, especially the good stuff don't come cheap.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, if video is the only purpose for the camera, I think the Panasonic GH5 is probably still a pretty good choice. Image quality even straight out of the camera should be more than sufficient especially at the lower ISOs you can shoot in while at 1/125 or 1/60 shutter speeds and f/2.8 or lower aperture. The superior IBIS you can get with the smaller sensor will definitely help if they primarily plan to shoot handheld and aren't seasoned videographers.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there such a thing as a "standard" video focal length, like 35mm is to stills? I'd almost rather have them use a 50mm for a variety of reasons.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there such a thing as a "standard" video focal length, like 35mm is to stills? I'd almost rather have them use a 50mm for a variety of reasons.
Honestly just give them either the Tamron 28-75 or Sony 24-105 and call it a day. I never recommend primes for videos for noobs, especially if you can never predict the room sizes. Whenever I know of a shoot I take like 5 god damn lenses with me depending on what it is that I'll be shooting in and look I want. My 23 1.4, 16-55 have primarily been my main video lenses, with the 90F2 and 50-140 getting used if I want to get in tighter.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I see wider angles more often than not, especially for documentary stuff. Like 24mm ~ 28mm.
This would really depend on the editing that needs to be done though. My office tends to do interviews with two cameras. One in a wide shot and another in a tighter more head shot oriented focal length for editing so having focal length options would definitely help. Not to mention if they ever need to do B Roll.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the Tamron 28-75 had jumpy autofocus in video from what i've seen, like excessive breathing, but i'll do more research.

Any idea which lens if we did something in the m4/3 G5 arena?

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Tamron 28-75 had jumpy autofocus in video from what i've seen, like excessive breathing, but i'll do more research.

I heard that got fixed with a firmware update actually. For M43 a lot of people just use a Sigma 18-35 with a speed booster. I don't know enough about their base line up to really make recommendations though since I really don't research stuff I have no interest in buying.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went to MAP Camera in Shinjuku yesterday and tried out a lot of cameras. I'm looking to buy an ILC and sell my X100F.

They have a Leica boutique in the basement and a table that has cameras like the M10, M10-P, Q, and TL2 that you can try out and play around with. I tried out the CL as well and really liked the feel and images it produced with the pancake. It's even smaller than my X100F.

In that same area there is a lot of film cameras such as an entire section dedicated to Rolleiflex and Hasselblad cameras. Also tried the Phase One and good lord that camera is crazy lol. One of the floors upstairs has the Fujifilm area and so I tried the new Fujifilm GFX50R and it seems pretty damn good. It's still a studio or landscape camera for me IMO, though, despite it's relatively "compact" size.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went to MAP Camera in Shinjuku yesterday and tried out a lot of cameras. I'm looking to buy an ILC and sell my X100F.

They have a Leica boutique in the basement and a table that has cameras like the M10, M10-P, Q, and TL2 that you can try out and play around with. I tried out the CL as well and really liked the feel and images it produced with the pancake. It's even smaller than my X100F.

In that same area there is a lot of film cameras such as an entire section dedicated to Rolleiflex and Hasselblad cameras. Also tried the Phase One and good lord that camera is crazy lol. One of the floors upstairs has the Fujifilm area and so I tried the new Fujifilm GFX50R and it seems pretty damn good. It's still a studio or landscape camera for me IMO, though, despite it's relatively "compact" size.

I had never heard of that place. I usually just drop by Yodobashi in Akihabara when I'm in Tokyo. I just checked MAP's website, and I'll definitely be making a trip over there next time I'm in Tokyo.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had never heard of that place. I usually just drop by Yodobashi in Akihabara when I'm in Tokyo. I just checked MAP's website, and I'll definitely be making a trip over there next time I'm in Tokyo.
I've spent quite a lot of time checking out camera shops in Tokyo, it's so good for them. MAP Camera is probably my favourite one, I'll go there just to browse their equipment. It's very close to the station and has Shinjuku's Yodobashi, a Kitamura camera, a Bic Camera, and a used camera market in the same area.

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe the Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm F2.8-4-0? It has image stabilization on the lens, and seems to be one of the lenses Panasonic bundles with the GH5.

Oct 25, 2017
They have an Ebay store so I've definitely heard of them. I almost bought a 28-75 from them but they were charging damn near new prices for a very used lens and I just backed the fuck out when I saw the condition of the lens.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grabbing an MC-11 for $180 off craigslist (I should have just bought on sale for black friday dammit), and will probably pick up the 40/2.8 as my placeholder "35mm solution".

The more I read about adapting the Canon 100-400 with the MC-11 the better that is looking for me, so I think I'll go that direction and save myself $600 vs the Sony.

Oct 25, 2017
Grabbing an MC-11 for $180 off craigslist (I should have just bought on sale for black friday dammit), and will probably pick up the 40/2.8 as my placeholder "35mm solution".

The more I read about adapting the Canon 100-400 with the MC-11 the better that is looking for me, so I think I'll go that direction and save myself $600 vs the Sony.
I'm thinking about adapting the Canon 135F2, someone on Fred Miranda said it's not a bad combo.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking about adapting the Canon 135F2, someone on Fred Miranda said it's not a bad combo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFdppCfLbcQ Manny covers the 135 quite a bit here with great results. The latest A7R3 FW (once it's fixed) will improve it further too.

And yeah, picking up a 135 with the $600 I save is priority 1 lol

Basically putting myself in a situation where if the Canon R MkII is dual slot/fixes the banding issues at high iso/adds a joystick/is more than 3fps in burst, I can test one out with some of my favorite Canon glass with little headache. Swapping the Sony 24-105 for the RF version would be an even trade.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFdppCfLbcQ Manny covers the 135 quite a bit here with great results. The latest A7R3 FW (once it's fixed) will improve it further too.

And yeah, picking up a 135 with the $600 I save is priority 1 lol

Basically putting myself in a situation where if the Canon R MkII is dual slot/fixes the banding issues at high iso/adds a joystick/is more than 3fps in burst, I can test one out with some of my favorite Canon glass with little headache. Swapping the Sony 24-105 for the RF version would be an even trade.
Considering that I really do not use Eye AF that often this sounds very realistic as a purchase. I will probably never buy a Canon body or at least an expensive one, but I do like some of their lenses. I love 135, but the Sigma one is too big, the Canon F2 would be a great lighter alternative. Also I have seen that video twice and it sold me on the AD200 and it apparently also now sold me on the Canon 135 F2.
Also the new Olympus camera looks stupid big.
https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/th...d-images-of-the-new-superheavy-olympus-e-m1x/

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, they're going the 1DX route huh?

Olympus at death's door and they make THIS their play for 2019? Good luck, have fun.

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
Best thing to happen would be Olympus becoming a third party lens manufacturer. They make some of the best lenses available.