• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm super excited to be able to take pictures of my dog more easily while she's running around.

I'm also interested in seeing their touted improvements to color reproduction, auto white balance, and tonal gradations in the sky, etc. although I rarely shoot JPEG.

Really looking forward to March!

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm super excited to be able to take pictures of my dog more easily while she's running around.

I'm also interested in seeing their touted improvements to color reproduction, auto white balance, and tonal gradations in the sky, etc. although I rarely shoot JPEG.

Really looking forward to March!
Yeah Jpeg enhancements really don't do anything for me, though I'm quickly finding out that I can't really edit A7RII raws like I edited my Fuji's. Last few rounds of edits I did I actually had to increase the contrast and warming it up instead of toning it down. I won't get animal AF for probably another year I think.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, would love too see the eye options for Eye AF on a spider. If you can get by on the 24-105 and 90 2.8 Macro then yeah go for it.

I would if I had the money now. Read the Nikon Z6 review on DPReview today, man it seems like they are really positive about it. Then again their job is to sell every camera I guess. Can't say that I'm not still a bit torn on the Fuji / A7III. Problem is that I fear the A7 III ergonomics / controls won't cut in like three years or so and a better viewfinder would be really nice, but then again no IBIS on Fuji when I have shaky hands and not the lens lineup I want makes it a difficult decision. Right now I'm mainly wondering if I do really need the camera this year, and maybe better to wait for the A7 IV and never have to worry about missing out on some stuff. I need a new phone, so maybe better to invest into a Galaxy S10. It's not a replacement at all for a MILC but it would certainly improve my day to day pics which could mitigate the need a tiny bit for a semi-pro this year.

Oct 25, 2017
I would if I had the money now. Read the Nikon Z6 review on DPReview today, man it seems like they are really positive about it. Then again their job is to sell every camera I guess. Can't say that I'm not still a bit torn on the Fuji / A7III. Problem is that I fear the A7 III ergonomics / controls won't cut in like three years or so and a better viewfinder would be really nice, but then again no IBIS on Fuji when I have shaky hands and not the lens lineup I want makes it a difficult decision. Right now I'm mainly wondering if I do really need the camera this year, and maybe better to wait for the A7 IV and never have to worry about missing out on some stuff. I need a new phone, so maybe better to invest into a Galaxy S10. It's not a replacement at all for a MILC but it would certainly improve my day to day pics which could mitigate the need a tiny bit for a semi-pro this year.
Problem with waiting for a better camera is that you never end up taking pictures. It's something I definitely understand, but long story short there's always a better camera somewhere in the future. A7III is ergonomically better than the Sony I use now, just use it for a week and get used to it. Problem with the Z6 is the lens line up ain't there and will not be there till probably 2022 and not to mention the Z mount lenses will be fucking expensive.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Problem with waiting for a better camera is that you never end up taking pictures. It's something I definitely understand, but long story short there's always a better camera somewhere in the future. A7III is ergonomically better than the Sony I use now, just use it for a week and get used to it. Problem with the Z6 is the lens line up ain't there and will not be there till probably 2022 and not to mention the Z mount lenses will be fucking expensive.

True, but I won't drop dead within two years so I have plenty of time to hone my skills. Each month I wait also adds money to my bank account so it's also kind of a matter if saving to be able to splurge more at once.

Oct 25, 2017
True, but I won't drop dead within two years so I have plenty of time to hone my skills. Each month I wait also adds money to my bank account so it's also kind of a matter if saving to be able to splurge more at once.
I'd honestly just wait for an A7RIII to drop in price. The EVF in the RII is fine for the most part, only thing really missing from this is an AF joystick.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn... sounds like this AI-based real-time tracking autofocus stuff may be super legit. It looks like it just tears through a lot of the situations that would frequently result in front-focusing under the current AF solutions. Apparently, it also applies to video AF, as well, which will be killer. I can't wait to try it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=oyzhTGfcZy8

Also, it looks like they are upping the contrast detect autofocus point count on the A9 from 25 to 425 (matching the A7 III) with this firmware update. Didn't know that was even possible.

https://briansmith.com/sony-announc...TICIoiwyvD6_xWtZZ_e5XdCd5Uhvyvhu6mhG6jRa2B1Vs

Yo, Eye-AF now mapped to the shutter? Sweet.

I believe it already could be on the A7R III/A7 III, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn... the new app for auto-transferring of full-sized images is going to be pretty sweet, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=83&v=Sc2O7TIkzO0

Sorry for the spam in this thread, but I'm super excited for the upcoming firmware/software updates. Came into expecting to be disappointed with just a lower-tier APS-C camera, but I never expected they would announce all of these upgrades for existing gear.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn... the new app for auto-transferring of full-sized images is going to be pretty sweet, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=83&v=Sc2O7TIkzO0

Sorry for the spam in this thread, but I'm super excited for the upcoming firmware/software updates. Came into expecting to be disappointed with just a lower-tier APS-C camera, but I never expected they would announce all of these upgrades for existing gear.
At least Sony is finally learning how to FW update instead of just selling it in a new camera. At least I'll have some cool shit to look forward to if I ever get an RIII.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Right now I'm mainly wondering if I do really need the camera this year, and maybe better to wait for the A7 IV and never have to worry about missing out on some stuff.
Two issues there.
1) You'll always miss out on shots, no matter the equipment.
2) You will be missing out on 100% of the shots you do not take, obviously.

The A7iii is a very capable camera, as is the XT3. I would go to a store and handle both to see what feels good and go from there.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
i have a question about flash sync cables

is there a resource that explains how they function? i have one cable with 1/8 sized plug on one end that i want to change into a 1/4, but i'm not sure if those converters that you buy for audio would work here.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it will be, same as the animal eye-af.

For some reason I thought the A7R III and A7 III already had the ability to prioritize eye-af with the half-shutter press rather than needing to map the function to a button. I guess I was wrong!

At least Sony is finally learning how to FW update instead of just selling it in a new camera. At least I'll have some cool shit to look forward to if I ever get an RIII.

Gotta say, I'm surprised. This upcoming A9 update is unprecedented even by Fuji standards. It also looks like Sony will be taking some baby steps improving their menus.

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, I'm surprised. This upcoming A9 update is unprecedented even by Fuji standards. It also looks like Sony will be taking some baby steps improving their menus.
Don't worry I'm not complaining. Might be why I don't mind, but also envious of being a generation behind. At least I know by the time I get an RIII that everything about it should be perfected.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit... I may actually try to do more video stuff if the new subject tracking stuff consistently works this well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S4...Bu5VPkzVWGAzp0YlSoZvZmy_5zZy90RYesllphM_04DfA
It just ignores the shit he walks behind.
swedish_chef.jpg

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really hope the A9 5.0Feature"Monitor OFF selectable via DISP button" does indeed turn the Monitor off, like not putting out a "black screen" but really turning it off and that this finds its way into the A7III update.

Edit: This is already possible on the A7III, my old A7II couldn't do this. lol

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope the A9 5.0Feature"Monitor OFF selectable via DISP button" does indeed turn the Monitor off, like not putting out a "black screen" but really turning it off and that this finds its way into the A7III update.

Edit: This is already possible on the A7III, my old A7II couldn't do this. lol
Sony needs to look at how the Fuji's go about their EVF and Monitor settings and go from there.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Two issues there.
1) You'll always miss out on shots, no matter the equipment.
2) You will be missing out on 100% of the shots you do not take, obviously.

The A7iii is a very capable camera, as is the XT3. I would go to a store and handle both to see what feels good and go from there.
Him and I have had this discussion for months.

You're both right, but the thing is I don't need to be taking pictures right now, it's just something I really wanted. It's true that there's always new stuff coming out that's better. But for many hardware pieces there are times in lifecycles where it's better to buy something and not having to replace it sooner. And since a camera is a heavy investment, waiting a year and saving money can't hurt too much I feel.

That said, I went to the local Fnac today and they had both A7III and XT-3 (along with the Z6 and Eos R) on display. They were non-functional dummy units though, so they were production units on the outside, but the electronics have been botched to protect against theft. Have to say, they are both really solid pieces of engineering. Looking good, feeling good in your hand. The Fuji kit lens is also solidly made and I feel it'd be pretty OK to shoot with in the first couple of months. Didn't really expect the size difference between the Fuji and Sony to be so small though.

My main takeaway is that ultimately it won't matter too much whichever I'll pick, since they are both formidable cameras and the downsides of one over the other won't matter much for the experience level I have. It's just a whole other design philosophy. The Fuji felt more like a traditional camera reimagined whereas the Sony was a piece of tech art.

The catch is though: today someone gave me a good offer to take over his racing bike, and I went in on it. Won't have the chance to get something similar anytime soon and I really wanted a bike rather sooner than later so that's where my money went. The camera will have to wait a couple more months now and I'll see then if something has happened on the price market for both Sony and Fuji.

Oct 25, 2017
You're both right, but the thing is I don't need to be taking pictures right now, it's just something I really wanted. It's true that there's always new stuff coming out that's better. But for many hardware pieces there are times in lifecycles where it's better to buy something and not having to replace it sooner. And since a camera is a heavy investment, waiting a year and saving money can't hurt too much I feel.

That said, I went to the local Fnac today and they had both A7III and XT-3 (along with the Z6 and Eos R) on display. They were non-functional dummy units though, so they were production units on the outside, but the electronics have been botched to protect against theft. Have to say, they are both really solid pieces of engineering. Looking good, feeling good in your hand. The Fuji kit lens is also solidly made and I feel it'd be pretty OK to shoot with in the first couple of months. Didn't really expect the size difference between the Fuji and Sony to be so small though.

My main takeaway is that ultimately it won't matter too much whichever I'll pick, since they are both formidable cameras and the downsides of one over the other won't matter much for the experience level I have. It's just a whole other design philosophy. The Fuji felt more like a traditional camera reimagined whereas the Sony was a piece of tech art.

The catch is though: today someone gave me a good offer to take over his racing bike, and I went in on it. Won't have the chance to get something similar anytime soon and I really wanted a bike rather sooner than later so that's where my money went. The camera will have to wait a couple more months now and I'll see then if something has happened on the price market for both Sony and Fuji.
Luckily photography is my prioritized expensive hobby. I usually choose that stuff over everything even games. You can pretty much pick any camera made within the last two years and it'll not be outdated severely. Even my D4 and D810 are still legit cameras, not looking to upgrade any of those anytime soon.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily photography is my prioritized expensive hobby. I usually choose that stuff over everything even games. You can pretty much pick any camera made within the last two years and it'll not be outdated severely. Even my D4 and D810 are still legit cameras, not looking to upgrade any of those anytime soon.

You make money with photography though, sports is what helps me keeping fit and feeling well so it's a bigger priority to me. I won't get rusty if I don't shoot but I'll get out of shape if I don't exercise physically.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Getting back into photography after a while. Trading up to an X100F that I just got. Any tips or things I should look into? I'm focusing on trying to get my JPEG settings solid as I'm going to focus on editing and the like later on, so I just want solid images out of the camera for the time being.

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a pretty good deal on a two months old 2.8 70-200GM, can't wait to get that shit since I was really missing the long end while carrying this around...which now probably makes the A7RII my new corporate headshot camera.
You make money with photography though, sports is what helps me keeping fit and feeling well so it's a bigger priority to me. I won't get rusty if I don't shoot but I'll get out of shape if I don't exercise physically.
As a fellow gym goer I understand, I also miss my road bike, shit was fun.

Last edited:

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting back into photography after a while. Trading up to an X100F that I just got. Any tips or things I should look into? I'm focusing on trying to get my JPEG settings solid as I'm going to focus on editing and the like later on, so I just want solid images out of the camera for the time being.
Turn noise reduction all the way down.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG

I would say shoot JPG + raw anyway, even if you isn't thinking about editing right now. I really wish I had a raw copy of some photos I took in the past.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
The 24-70gm is clearly not the sharpest lens, but it can produce some lovely colors. I'm finally getting over the 'sharpness is everything' opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a $2000 lens is not really sharp? What's the best option then even.
I think there's sharp and sharpest. The GM isn't the sharpest, but that doesn't mean it's not sharp. The 28-75 is technically said to be sharper, but the bokeh is harsher and lacking the wide end compared to the GM. The current Canon 24-70 is also sharper than the GM, but it needs to be adapted. I'm honestly getting a little wary of adapting just due to not everything will work day one on newer cameras.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's sharp and sharpest. The GM isn't the sharpest, but that doesn't mean it's not sharp. The 28-75 is technically said to be sharper, but the bokeh is harsher and lacking the wide end compared to the GM. The current Canon 24-70 is also sharper than the GM, but it needs to be adapted. I'm honestly getting a little wary of adapting just due to not everything will work day one on newer cameras.

Ah yeah, like it's not the ultimate sharpest lens there is but it trades some of that in for better bokeh. Reminds me of your cheap 35mm lens pics that were arguably pretty sharp, but the bokeh was so distractingly bad. Man I wish I was able to speak Japanese, I'd love to be a lens engineer. Well, the focusing motor design would be my favorite discipline since I'm crazy good with motor design :P.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yeah, like it's not the ultimate sharpest lens there is but it trades some of that in for better bokeh. Reminds me of your cheap 35mm lens pics that were arguably pretty sharp, but the bokeh was so distractingly bad. Man I wish I was able to speak Japanese, I'd love to be a lens engineer. Well, the focusing motor design would be my favorite discipline since I'm crazy good with motor design :P.
The cheap lens is the 50mm, it's serviceable but I really don't like it too much. I think Sony tends to chase theoretical sharpness over realistic sharpness.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping to get out tomorrow morning and do some snow shooting around Chicago. Anyone have some cool tricks or tips, or neat ideas for cityscape snow shooting?

I've got some ideas for shots I want to get, but just curious if anyone has done any fun shooting lately.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I think I found a competitor to photography when it comes to expensive accessories and fancy gadgets, some of this racing bike gear...

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Speaking of hobbies, gaming is like the cheapest hobby ever, even if you want to have most consoles and/or a monster PC. Comic books on the other hand can get pretty crazy on the long run.

I've spend a lot in photography gear in the last few months, but hopefully the lenses will last for decades and the camera body at least 4 years or so.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of hobbies, gaming is like the cheapest hobby ever, even if you want to have most consoles and/or a monster PC. Comic books on the other hand can get pretty crazy on the long run.

I've spend a lot in photography gear in the last few months, but hopefully the lenses will last for decades and the camera body at least 4 years or so.
Barrring mount changes lenses are usually forever. This is why glass is the most important and can do kind of lock you into a system.