• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that it took this long for us to get a cheaper FF camera. Since the A7 was launched at $1699 there has not been a single FF camera launched with a lower MSRP.

Why is the introduction price at launch important? The camera is extraordinarily unimpressive for a new body in 2019.

The A7 II is new right now at Amazon for $998 and can be had for less if you look or wait for a sale. It's arguably a better camera.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decided I really wanted and could put to use the 70 - 200 f/2.8 GM, but damn this thing is expensive at $2600 and no used deals in site.

I might give GreenToe a try.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Nov 13, 2017
Why is the introduction price at launch important? The camera is extraordinarily unimpressive for a new body in 2019.

The A7 II is new right now at Amazon for $998 and can be had for less if you look or wait for a sale. It's arguably a better camera.
I think that is a brand new body is what makes the price interesting, I understand you can get something older, but this can push other brands, and I am not sure where it leaves Fuji, the xpro2 new price was close to 2k.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
And holy SHIT, the 70-200 RF size is just bonkers. This is easily the most exciting prospect of the RF lens lineup. It's f/2.8! HOW?!

LgiMV6s.png

Ok what the fuck of wizardry did canon did on this one.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ended up getting an offer for $2150 accepted on Greentoe for the 70-200 f/2.8 GM lens. Still expensive as hell, but I'm going to give it a try. If I end up really liking it, I will probably sell off the Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art and maybe even my 70-300 f/3.5 ~ 5.6 lens (with the goal of getting the 100 - 400 GM some day).

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn that's pricey. Woot was selling the Canon 2.8 IS for $1299 the other day. Hope you like it. I talked to the wife about pulling the trigger on the Sony 100-400 last night. GT hadn't even occurred to me for that, I'll give it a shot. Maybe I can save a few hundos and still avoid tax.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn that's pricey. Woot was selling the Canon 2.8 IS for $1299 the other day. Hope you like it. I talked to the wife about pulling the trigger on the Sony 100-400 last night. GT hadn't even occurred to me for that, I'll give it a shot. Maybe I can save a few hundos and still avoid tax.

I almost went for the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II since I have the MC-11 adapter and performance is supposedly quite good with it. I could have saved a few hundred dollars, but I figured I should just go native in the end.

And yeah, avoiding sales tax on these big purchases is a huge benefit of Greentoe, especially now that B&H charges sales tax even for out of state purchases. I've never taken advantage of it, but they claim to have a 30-day return policy, so you won't be stuck with a stinker copy of a lens, either. Should be able to save a few hundred from the MSRP and another few hundred in tax.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And yeah, avoiding sales tax on these big purchases is a huge benefit of Greentoe
I'm curious, where was your little needle with that $2150 offer? $2150 is right dead in the middle for the 100-400.

edit: i'm an idiot, just tested it myself lol. i'm SHOCKED you had that offer accepted, that's a very large percentage off. Has me thinking I have a shot at nabbing the 100-400 for $2050-2100ish.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, where was your little needle with that $2150 offer? $2150 is right dead in the middle for the 100-400.

edit: i'm an idiot, just tested it myself lol. i'm SHOCKED you had that offer accepted, that's a very large percentage off. Has me thinking I have a shot at nabbing the 100-400 for $2050-2100ish.

I actually started at $2000, and the needle was quite low. I quickly got a counter offer for $2389, so I decided to counter offer that for $2150, expecting it wouldn't go through, but I was surprised to see moments later that it was accepted. Hasn't shipped yet, though...

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually started at $2000, and the needle was quite low. I quickly got a counter offer for $2389, so I decided to counter offer that for $2150, expecting it wouldn't go through, but I was surprised to see moments later that it was accepted. Hasn't shipped yet, though...
Fine you talked me into it...put in an offer for 2050 ;-P

I'm really close to saying just screw it, sell the mc-11 and 40/2.8 and get a 35/2.8 despite not being crazy about it. I've been taking almost no pics around the house anymore because the 40/2.8 is such a shit show on the MC-11.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fine you talked me into it...put in an offer for 2050 ;-P

I'm really close to saying just screw it, sell the mc-11 and 40/2.8 and get a 35/2.8 despite not being crazy about it. I've been taking almost no pics around the house anymore because the 40/2.8 is such a shit show on the MC-11.

Good luck on the 100 - 400! I really want that lens someday.

I have a feeling that a 35mm f/1.8 is coming sometime this year, but I can also heartily recommend the 35mm f/2.8. It's quite good, but unreasonably expensive given the competition. Used prices are a little easier to swallow.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The official announcement is expected on or around March 6th. The current Leica Q Typ 116 is already selling for $3,995 on Amazon (regular price: $4,495).
Here is what we know so far about the upcoming Leica Q2 camera:

• A significant increase in megapixels resolution (new 47MP sensor?)
  • The increased resolution will enable additional "digital zoom" crop option at 75mm focal length (currently only 28mm, 35mm and 50mm are available in the current Leica Q model)
  • No changes to form factor, focal length (28mm), or aperture (f/1.7)
  • Dust-proof and drip-proof
  • 4K video recording capabilities
  • Organic EL EVF
  • Announcement on or around March 6th
Weather sealed and that EVF omg

Tonza

Oct 26, 2017
The new Fujifilm 16mm f2.8 seems pretty interesting and I started thinking of getting it.

But I don't know if I should trade in my 23mm f2 for it. I also have the 35mm f1.4 so the 23mm would probably be unnecessary. The 23mm has felt a bit weird to use. It's not that much wider than the 35mm and I really like the rendering of the 35mm compared to the 23mm. (especially wide open, the 23 is soft)

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing it's going to have mostly the Panasonic S1R internals in a smaller and stripped down Leica body and be sold for exponentially more money.
It probably shares the same sensor but that's about it. Even if that were true an S1R and 28mm Summilux (that would be manual focus only) costs more than just getting a Leica Q2.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The new Fujifilm 16mm f2.8 seems pretty interesting and I started thinking of getting it.

But I don't know if I should trade in my 23mm f2 for it. I also have the 35mm f1.4 so the 23mm would probably be unnecessary. The 23mm has felt a bit weird to use. It's not that much wider than the 35mm and I really like the rendering of the 35mm compared to the 23mm. (especially wide open, the 23 is soft)
2.8 is f4 equiv for bokeh. Pass. If you want 16 just get the 1.4 which is widely regarded as one of the best X lenses period.

I didn't find the 23/2 to be that soft wide open, except for the well known caveat of near (3-5ft) focusing at f2.

I'm not a fan of 24mm and 50mm equivalents at all so I have nothing else to add to your dilemma.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
2.8 is f4 equiv for bokeh. Pass. If you want 16 just get the 1.4 which is widely regarded as one of the best X lenses period.

I didn't find the 23/2 to be that soft wide open, except for the well known caveat of near (3-5ft) focusing at f2.

I'm not a fan of 24mm and 50mm equivalents at all so I have nothing else to add to your dilemma.
What happens if you don't want to shoot wide open? For street/travel photography and landscape, the 16mm f2.8 is a very enticing proposition. It's tiny, weather sealed, reportedly has fast AF, and the sample images look very good. It's also half the price.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happens if you don't want to shoot wide open? For street/travel photography and landscape, the 16mm f2.8 is a very enticing proposition. It's tiny, weather sealed, reportedly has fast AF, and the sample images look very good. It's also half the price.

Obviously if portability and price is more important than shallow depth of field and sheer image quality (not that the new version is lacking), the new f/2.8 is the way to go for sure.

It probably shares the same sensor but that's about it. Even if that were true an S1R and 28mm Summilux (that would be manual focus only) costs more than just getting a Leica Q2.

Fair enough, although I imagine the 28mm Summilux is a much better lens than whatever they attach to their fixed lens cameras.

Tonza

Oct 26, 2017

The 16mm f1.4 seems like an amazing lens but weighs over twice of the 2.8. (And costs twice) I don't think I have many images with the 23mm f2 below 2.8.
It's probably only close focus softness but because of that I haven't used faster apertures with it.

What would really be awesome is that Fuji would refresh the 18mm pancake with better optics and maybe WR

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
That's a bit wide for street, 35mm equivalent is the classic street. I took all my shots (in Thailand and Bangladesh) with the 23mm f/2 and find it to be an excellent street and landscape lens, as well as a portrait lens. It's the perfect travel combo really. If you want a wide...I think the 12mm f/2.8 (Zeiss) or the 14mm f/2.8 (Fuji) are better options for dramatic landscapes. The Zeiss is probably my next lens.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
That's a bit wide for street, 35mm equivalent is the classic street. I took all my shots (in Thailand and Bangladesh) with the 23mm f/2 and find it to be an excellent street and landscape lens, as well as a portrait lens. It's the perfect travel combo really. If you want a wide...I think the 12mm f/2.8 (Zeiss) or the 14mm f/2.8 (Fuji) are better options for dramatic landscapes. The Zeiss is probably my next lens.
Well, that's really a matter of preference, I find the 35mm length a bit dull, and most importantly I can get a very similar look with a 50mm length. 24mm is a "dramatic wide but not too wide" focal length that is perfectly adequate for many use cases.

This is all imo of course.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Well, that's really a matter of preference, I find the 35mm length a bit dull, and most importantly I can get a very similar look with a 50mm length. 24mm is a "dramatic wide but not too wide" focal length that is perfectly adequate for many use cases.

This is all imo of course.
Of course it's a matter of preference. But 35mm is quite different than 50mm though, I can't agree there.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
On that note, anyone familiar with the 12mm Zeiss lens for Fuji? I do like having a dramatic wide for landscapes. That and the 56mm would probably be my Fuji trifecta.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
35 and 50 aren't remotely similar, especially when indoors.
I was talking about my experience with my style, and not about general precepts. I find 35mm to be too long for the use I would give a wide lens. And for a normal lens, I find 50mm ideal. So a lot of the time when shooting with a 35mm I'll end up thinking the same way I'd think shooting with a 50mm. I'd rather have a 28 or a 24 for wider shots, and crop a bit if necessary

crazy monkey

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
My next5t hit the floor and lens is not working. I am looking for cheap but good replacement.

I am open to use adapter and other brand lens. So far i have seen canon fe for 150 with 25 dollar adapter here in Canada.

I just take point and shoot of kids in home.

Please help if you can for any deals that are going on. I am in Canada if that helps. I want to keep everything max around 175Cad.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was talking about my experience with my style, and not about general precepts. I find 35mm to be too long for the use I would give a wide lens. And for a normal lens, I find 50mm ideal. So a lot of the time when shooting with a 35mm I'll end up thinking the same way I'd think shooting with a 50mm. I'd rather have a 28 or a 24 for wider shots, and crop a bit if necessary
Fair enough. For me, 24 is too wide for street/general travel/portraits and 50 is way too tight for general travel. I honestly only use 35 when I'm walking around a city just because it's so versatile indoors and out. Landscape is almost always around 24mm or wider.

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm really eyeing that Fuji X-T30 just for video applications alone. X-T30 for video and D750 for stills. Oh man, yes yes.

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
The X-T30 looks like a pretty damn sweet camera for the price, but why specifically for video over other bodies?

Price by far is the major aspect for thinking of going that route. Not really interested with Micro 4/3s cameras and FF video is too pricey for me. Don't know much about Sony crop cameras.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Price by far is the major aspect for thinking of going that route. Not really interested with Micro 4/3s cameras and FF video is too pricey for me. Don't know much about Sony crop cameras.

Personally, I think the a6400 would be a much better choice if video is your main thing. No recording limit in 4K30 (reportedly it's 10 minutes on the X-T30), likely superior autofocus (specifically with subject tracking), and a flip out screen. It's just about the same price, too. Lens lineup is arguably better with Fuji, though.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all, does anyone know how to get a shot like this?

913.png

See how Seth is on the right, while the picture is on the left? And at the same time it looks like he's looking straight at you? I've been trying to get this done, but I can't seem to. I'm recording on my phone on a tripod, and I'll sit off to the side. However, when I play back the recording, it looks like I'm looking somewhere else even when I'm looking directly into my phone's camera lens.

The only thing I've been able to do is having to sit directly across from my phone's camera lens, but then in the footage, I'm directly in the middle. Anyone know how to pull this off?

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi all, does anyone know how to get a shot like this?

913.png

See how Seth is on the right, while the picture is on the left? And at the same time it looks like he's looking straight at you? I've been trying to get this done, but I can't seem to. I'm recording on my phone on a tripod, and I'll sit off to the side. However, when I play back the recording, it looks like I'm looking somewhere else even when I'm looking directly into my phone's camera lens.

The only thing I've been able to do is having to sit directly across from my phone's camera lens, but then in the footage, I'm directly in the middle. Anyone know how to pull this off?
In a studio setting, seth is probably 20-30ft away from that camera which helps a lot. If you can shoot in 4K and crop into 1080 in post with your desired framing, maybe do that?

Watched the Fro RP review, and he's actually rather bullish on it for stills, and said he got 500 shots out of the battery for stills. He also loves the touch/drag to focus vs joysticks, and I have to say that functionality intrigues me. Unfortunately, it's totally useless for video for multiple reasons. Seems like it could actually be an excellent backup body for stills once it hits $700ish used.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
In a studio setting, seth is probably 20-30ft away from that camera which helps a lot. If you can shoot in 4K and crop into 1080 in post with your desired framing, maybe do that?

Oh 20-30 feet away? I'm not sure if that's even an option because I also use a green screen. I'm also filming in my room so I don't think I have that much space. You think that's the only way?

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh 20-30 feet away? I'm not sure if that's even an option because I also use a green screen. I'm also filming in my room so I don't think I have that much space. You think that's the only way?
I wasn't suggesting that as a fix, I was saying it basically solves their problem. 4K with a crop afterwards is probably your best bet if possible.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tamron 17-28 2.8 FE is getting announced this week it looks like. That's an interesting proposition!