• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also did a little side by side comparison of the two lenses, the way they are built out is wildly different. Like I said yesterday, you can't even engage the Canon's zoom ring while the hood is mounted backwards. Sony gives you ample amount of ring closer to the mount. The Sony's tightening ring also has a click at the tight setting where the Canon does not.

32319468207_a86a9bac74_b.jpg

Fully extended, the Sony is a shade taller, and we're talking millimeters. However, it's better balanced when extended instead of feeling like all the weight is in both ends.

33385548818_bf105d8a79_b.jpg

jongkookie

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Canon:

Pretty fair and balanced review all things considered but I kinda can't believe Canon is wiling to put this out there. Jordan practically shits on it and says to get an XT-3 or G85 if you want to do video lmao. And Chris was basically like "yes this is good but..." multiple times throughout the review, it's like caveat central lol. It's almost like Canon is targeting the R(i)P for the Canon fanboy/uninformed buyer.

I honestly had this thing on my shortlist too but the impressions and reviews I've seen of this thing clearly aren't intended for me, nor does it seem to really have a target audience besides the ones I mentioned. I could probably live with the APS-C equivalent crop of 4K video, but no 24fps on 1080 and the lack of log video or at least something like Cinelike to make up for the crop is kinda absurd imo. Also the ISO performance being worse compared to an A7ii and D750 is just ridiculous... what the hell is even the point of this camera?

Anyway, I'm still waiting for Adorama to give me the final quotes for my gear. I'm still hoping to get an A7Rii but I'll definitely be more than okay with the G85 and a speedbooster for my Nikon lenses. Hopefully they call me really soon, I need this thing in like 3 weeks lol.

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like Canon is targeting the R(i)P for the Canon fanboy/uninformed buyer.
It's for the buyer who would've gotten a Canon Rebel T7 if it werent for youtubers saying that you need full frame. It's clearly meant to be their entry level body, and Canon is remaining consistent by withholding features from lower-end models. It's priced a good 400€ higher than the Sony A7ii here in Finland, but I bet it is still going to sell well simply on name recognition.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Canon:

Pretty fair and balanced review all things considered but I kinda can't believe Canon is wiling to put this out there. Jordan practically shits on it and says to get an XT-3 or G85 if you want to do video lmao. And Chris was basically like "yes this is good but..." multiple times throughout the review, it's like caveat central lol. It's almost like Canon is targeting the R(i)P for the Canon fanboy/uninformed buyer.

I honestly had this thing on my shortlist too but the impressions and reviews I've seen of this thing clearly aren't intended for me, nor does it seem to really have a target audience besides the ones I mentioned. I could probably live with the APS-C equivalent crop of 4K video, but no 24fps on 1080 and the lack of log video or at least something like Cinelike to make up for the crop is kinda absurd imo. Also the ISO performance being worse compared to an A7ii and D750 is just ridiculous... what the hell is even the point of this camera?

Anyway, I'm still waiting for Adorama to give me the final quotes for my gear. I'm still hoping to get an A7Rii but I'll definitely be more than okay with the G85 and a speedbooster for my Nikon lenses. Hopefully they call me really soon, I need this thing in like 3 weeks lol.

It's a soccer mom camera, it's not meant for real work.

jongkookie

Oct 25, 2017
It's for the buyer who would've gotten a Canon Rebel T7 if it werent for youtubers saying that you need full frame. It's clearly meant to be their entry level body, and Canon is remaining consistent by withholding features from lower-end models. It's priced a good 400€ higher than the Sony A7ii here in Finland, but I bet it is still going to sell well simply on name recognition.

I understand it's supposed to be entry level but I feel it's still too expensive to be an entry level camera, coz wouldn't the M50 be a better buy? But yeah, you're right, this is definitely targeted to a specific set of people who for some reason want full frame even tho they probably don't know why they need it lol.

I really don't have a problem with it tbh, I'm just curious as to why Canon went this route coz it feels like they don't really want to embrace mirrorless yet. At least Nikon wants to do it right? Idek lol.

Lmaoo. Time to filter out my Facebook feed I guess.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys are ignoring the photo-only Canon customer, of which there are MANY. The RP/RF combo will be a significant step up from people with aging T#i models that want full frame. These folks are the same ones that would buy into the 6D lineup, which never did good video either, and those cameras were still very popular. They've never had niceties like dual SD so they'll never miss it, nor are they shooting professionally. It's a huge market for Canon, and RP is definitely priced right for the segment.

I paid $1300 for my used 5D classic in 2007 when I had my own crop to FF moment, and the RP is WAY more capable at the same price point than my lowly 5D was, and that's not even taking inflation into account.

It's a shit cam for those of us who have progressed beyond its capabilities, but it was never for us anyways. There's a ton of excitement for it on the few photog boards I frequent among that crowd. Having a bunch of people using the RF lens ecosystem is also fantastic for everyone in the RF ecosystem because it means cheap used gear.

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are ignoring the photo-only Canon customer, of which there are MANY. The RP/RF combo will be a significant step up from people with aging T#i models that want full frame. These folks are the same ones that would buy into the 6D lineup, which never did good video either, and those cameras were still very popular. They've never had niceties like dual SD so they'll never miss it, nor are they shooting professionally. It's a huge market for Canon, and RP is definitely priced right for the segment.

I paid $1300 for my used 5D classic in 2007 when I had my own crop to FF moment, and the RP is WAY more capable at the same price point than my lowly 5D was, and that's not even taking inflation into account.

It's a shit cam for those of us who have progressed beyond its capabilities, but it was never for us anyways. There's a ton of excitement for it on the few photog boards I frequent among that crowd. Having a bunch of people using the RF lens ecosystem is also fantastic for everyone in the RF ecosystem because it means cheap used gear.
Yeah most of us in here are not the demographic for this camera. I'm honestly just hitting the point where I have to look very hard at what I'm buying because Canon is pretty much that "Why would I buy this?" brand since I have enough mounts to the point that adding another one really has to add something for me.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017

But smartphones are already soccer mom cameras. Don't think soccers mom would spend over $1000 on a camera. Although when you mean a literal soccer mom wanting to take soccer pics of her child.

Yeah most of us in here are not the demographic for this camera. I'm honestly just hitting the point where I have to look very hard at what I'm buying because Canon is pretty much that "Why would I buy this?" brand since I have enough mounts to the point that adding another one really has to add something for me.

True, most people here are in the "here have a $2000 lens announcement", "already preordered" demographic.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% "photos only". Haven't ever used the video feature on my cameras and prefer to use my smart phone for that.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So that broken 85/1.8 I have. Just spent 20 minutes dropping it on the floor at a bunch of different angles (cause we've all seen Armageddon and the Russian way of fixing things is always the best way), and then I squeezed the focus ring as hard as humanly possible for a bit and LO! It's alive!

FOCUS YOU SON OF A BITCH, FOOOOOCUS!

507846.gif

edit: ok so AF is working, but it's still stuck wide open lol

edit edit: aperture works, forgot adapted mc-11 lenses don't stop down till the shutter fires

edit edit edit: goddamn i forgot what a chromatic aberration machine this lens is, all the way to f/4...guess I'll just give it to the kid to play with on his T3i. The Sony 85/1.8 remains on my to-buy list ;-)

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up returning the 24-70 f/2.8 GM in favor of keeping the 24-105 f/4 G. Focusing was really not markedly better in all honesty, and it was quite a bit larger and heavier. f/2.8 is nice, but I guess I don't find myself in enough situations where f/2.8 makes the difference vs. f/4 to justify losing out on the 35mm on the tele end and OSS. Also, I think the 24-105 G lens might transmit light a bit better, because when doing comparisons, the ISO was not bumping up by an entire stop when I kept everything but the aperture the same between the two. It would be like 5000 ISO -> 8000 ISO instead of going all the way up to 10000.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 24-105 is a damn fine lens. It just got a price drop today too, although it's cheating since they bumped up the price a few months ago.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Recently bought a Canon DM-E1 Microphone for my DSLR... Talk about buyers remorse. Spent best part of £300 for it and all it seems to pick up on the recordings is the servo/AF noise.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
You guys forget, it was Canon that popularized and brought digital SLR photography to the masses with the Rebel. I was a Canon shooter for years. They lost me after the 6D and how they bottle necked that body, but that's typical Japanese corporate conservatism. Nikon isn't much different and for that matter neither is Sony (camera division aside). However always loved/love Canon glass and I think the R eco system will be very good for them going forward, at least with their pro user base. The lens lineup looks tasty. For a good Canon body, you'll always have to get the top tier anyway.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I need help buying a new camera. I'm coming from a Nikon D600 which I loved. I want to go Mirrorless. Being familiar with Nikon the Z6 is looking pretty good plus all the reviews I've found online say it's the best bang for the buck. The Sony A7iii is also in consideration. I mostly take picks on vacations but I take a ton of pics. Very much just a hobbiest photographer.

What is ERA's thoughts on this?

Nov 13, 2017
I need help buying a new camera. I'm coming from a Nikon D600 which I loved. I want to go Mirrorless. Being familiar with Nikon the Z6 is looking pretty good plus all the reviews I've found online say it's the best bang for the buck. The Sony A7iii is also in consideration. I mostly take picks on vacations but I take a ton of pics. Very much just a hobbiest photographer.

If you have nikon glass that works with the ftz that's not a bad choice, I rented a z6 with the 24-70 f4 lens and it was very nice

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Before going any further, I think we need to know how invested you are in Nikon lenses and how much you value being able to reliably track and shoot fast moving subjects.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I'll likely trade in my 1 Tamron lens so not at all invested in Nikon lenses. Fast moving? Probably fasted thing I've shot is a horse running. Some other mild action scenes. Low light situations happen fairly often. Very little if any video will be taken.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll likely trade in my 1 Tamron lens so not at all invested in Nikon lenses. Fast moving? Probably fasted thing I've shot is a horse running. Some other mild action scenes. Low light situations happen fairly often. Very little if any video will be taken.

If tracking subjects or taking bursts of action scenes is a priority, I wouldn't recommend either Nikon or Canon's mirrorless offerings, at least this first generation. I bet they will be vastly improved with the second generation, but they are way behind compared to Sony and Fuji at the moment.

Personally, I think Sony offers the most capable packages for competitive prices right now, but it's hard to tell where the Nikon Z and EOS R systems will go. I think their next revisions should be pretty exciting. Either way, if you have the chance, go out to a shop and try some of them out.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
If tracking subjects or taking bursts of action scenes is a priority, I wouldn't recommend either Nikon or Canon's mirrorless offerings, at least this first generation. I bet they will be vastly improved with the second generation, but they are way behind compared to Sony and Fuji at the moment.

Personally, I think Sony offers the most capable packages for competitive prices right now, but it's hard to tell where the Nikon Z and EOS R systems will go. I think their next revisions should be pretty exciting. Either way, if you have the chance, go out to a shop and try some of them out.
Thanks for the advice. So much to consider so these kind of comments really help.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
If you're not invested in glass then there's zero reason to go with Canon or Nikon right now. For mirrorless basically Sony and Fuji are the best options, if you must have full frame then Sony is the only legit option, if you're ok with APS-C then Fuji is fantastic.

So basically what you wanna look at are the lenses on offer, prices and how the cameras feel in your hand. Fujis are lighter and very easy to operate, I went with a Fuji for traveling as I do a lot of hiking, swimming and physical activities and I don't like carrying heavy gear anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a big part of it. Loved my D600 but it just got too heavy after a long hike. I'll take a look at what Fuji is offering.
What is your lens budgeting? I wouldn't really go Nikon mirrorless if you're photographing stuff on the regular that moves, also if you're not heavily invested in full frame Nikon glass. I ran into the same thing awhile back and ended up landing on a really good Sony A7R2 deal that I couldn't pass up. I'm also in Fuji and love that as well, I would recommend either a Fuji X-T2 or X-T3. What's your exact budget?

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Thanks for all the replies. I don't want to quote everyone but I really appreciate the help.

I'm looking at around a $1500 trade in value plus up to $3000 on top of that so up to $4500. I need(want) two cameras. The mirrorless for mostly me and a DSLR for mostly my wife. I want to be able to share lenses between the two if possible. Not necessarily going to buy everything all at once.

Oct 25, 2017
Wife's gotta lift for them sweet gains brah

Just both of you get two MILCs of the same brand and therefore mount. Nobody needs a dslr

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the replies. I don't want to quote everyone but I really appreciate the help.

I'm looking at around a $1500 trade in value plus up to $3000 on top of that so up to $4500. I need(want) two cameras. The mirrorless for mostly me and a DSLR for mostly my wife. I want to be able to share lenses between the two if possible. Not necessarily going to buy everything all at once.
You can get a Z6 and maybe a D850...used or something I don't know, she gets the better camera though. This is a really specific caveat in here.