• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Can you elaborate more on why your wife needs a DSLR?

Should she be looking at something else? She will divorce me if she feels like she's using something inferior, lol. She enjoys taking photos too. She's been using a Canon Rebel for years and we thought about consolidating. If there is a better option for companion cameras I'm all ears.

You can get a Z6 and maybe a D850...used or something I don't know, she gets the better camera though. This is a really specific caveat in here.

The original idea was a Z6 and a D7200. She'd be real happy with that camera. It's not a deal breaker, just an idea we had if we could make it work. She had a Canon t7i but I hated it on the occasions I had to use it. Not that it was a bad camera I just found it harder to use than the Nikon.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should she be looking at something else? She will divorce me if she feels like she's using something inferior, lol. She enjoys taking photos too. She's been using a Canon Rebel for years and we thought about consolidating.

Oh, I didn't mean she shouldn't need a camera, just the DSLR form factor. A modern mirrorless camera will be a hell of a lot easier to use. Something like an A7 III along with an a6400 (new APS-C camera from Sony with amazing autofocus and selfie screen) would be about $3,000 combined. Wouldn't leave a lot for great lenses, but at least you could share between the two.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Oh ok, you're assuming the DSLR will be better which isn't necessarily the case. You could get two Fujis or two Sonys.

Oct 25, 2017
Should she be looking at something else? She will divorce me if she feels like she's using something inferior, lol. She enjoys taking photos too. She's been using a Canon Rebel for years and we thought about consolidating. If there is a better option for companion cameras I'm all ears.

The original idea was a Z6 and a D7200. She'd be real happy with that camera. It's not a deal breaker, just an idea we had if we could make it work. She had a Canon t7i but I hated it on the occasions I had to use it. Not that it was a bad camera I just found it harder to use than the Nikon.
You really cannot share lenses with a D7200 with a Z6 and take full advantage of the Z6, at least get a D750. You two better just get the same camera unless she has some sort of medical eye condition that keeps her from using a mirrorless camera.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
She married my ugly ass so she might just have an eye condition

Two Milc's would be great but then we potentially run into budget issues. The Fuji X-T3's might allow this to work. Plus the dials look exceedingly convenient.

I'll look into this combo too
Unless there's a specific reason why you would need full frame just get the X-T3's.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She married my ugly ass so she might just have an eye condition

Two Milc's would be great but then we potentially run into budget issues. The Fuji X-T3's might allow this to work. Plus the dials look exceedingly convenient.

I'll look into this combo too

If you like the idea of the physical dials, then you will really enjoy using the Fujis. Definitely give them a serious look. Their lenses are typically a bit cheaper than full frame stuff, too, and they are great for travel.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Thanks for all the help everyone. Fuji's are probably in the lead right now (loving the dials) but I know I'll vacillate up until I hit the order button.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Just placed the order for my first non-phone digital camera since the mid 00s- the Canon EOS M100. I wanted to spend something like $300 on a camera- I wanted something better than my phone but this is going to be purely as a small hobby for me so I wanted a low buy-in. I went to the store and tried a bunch of DSLRs, and decided that I wanted to try something mirrorless because I just found DSLRs to be too heavy/bulky to use. While I would prefer something with a viewfinder, this camera was the best I could do in my price range (I'm getting a refurbished one)

Oct 25, 2017
I actually meant Menelaus or whoever that owns it, unless you own a 70-200GM too? Is it really that much better (keeping in mind the price) than the G? It seems like one of the ultimate 'fuck yeah' lenses to own, it can be even used for self defense!
I have the 70-200GM along with Zefah and Menelaus has the 100-400GM. If you shoot portraits and do indoor event photography you get the GM, if you're just going to walk around in a park or do landscape photography you can get the G

plv251

Oct 27, 2017
Managed to get a barley used x-pro1 with new 23mm f2 for $500 CAD.

Quite a steal and I'm looking forward to using a 7yr old body and mastering it.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Everyone,
So i've been using a Nikon D3400 for most of my photography needs but the issue is that I find it pretty bulky to carry around in my work bag and that makes it harder to carry with me all the time if i come across a good shot. My smartphone doesnt have too good of a camera so I wanted to get something lightweight and small to keep on me all the time, basically.

I mostly do street photography so i've been interested in the X100F and the Ricoh GR III. These seem to be the best for what i was looking for, but one thing I really want to do more of is taking pictures in the snow and rain. I currently use a rain sleeve but its a bit annoying to carry along with the camera too.

Any recommendations you all have for some low profile cameras that I can use in the snow and rain?

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Everyone,
So i've been using a Nikon D3400 for most of my photography needs but the issue is that I find it pretty bulky to carry around in my work bag and that makes it harder to carry with me all the time if i come across a good shot. My smartphone doesnt have too good of a camera so I wanted to get something lightweight and small to keep on me all the time, basically.

I mostly do street photography so i've been interested in the X100F and the Ricoh GR III. These seem to be the best for what i was looking for, but one thing I really want to do more of is taking pictures in the snow and rain. I currently use a rain sleeve but its a bit annoying to carry along with the camera too.

Any recommendations you all have for some low profile cameras that I can use in the snow and rain?
The X100F is great for street photography, but lacks weather sealing. You can either get an X-Pro 2, X-T2 or X-T3 for added weather sealing and pop on a pancake lens or one of their smaller WR F2 lenses.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been debating actually this, if you have the 24-105, is the 70-200 needed or is the logical compliment the 100-400?
The 100-400 is the most versatile addition, because it takes both the 1.4X and 2X teleconverters, so you could be covered from 24-800 mm with two lenses. With the Sony lenses, you lose practically nothing optically even with the 2X teleconverter. There's a method to my madness.

Of course I'm talking from a landscape/wildlife perspective. I'd always grab the 70-200/2.8 for events.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been debating actually this, if you have the 24-105, is the 70-200 needed or is the logical compliment the 100-400?
This really depends on what it is that you photograph. Park walks and wildlife? Yeah you can make this an argument. Event photographer? At some point you're going to invest in the 70-200GM any way so neither those lenses negates the necessity of the 70-200GM.

Oct 25, 2017
The X100F is great for street photography, but lacks weather sealing. You can either get an X-Pro 2, X-T2 or X-T3 for added weather sealing and pop on a pancake lens or one of their smaller WR F2 lenses.
Ok the X-T2 seems to be the body i want but for the lens, I was looking at the 27mm f/2.8 one which get it pretty close to the profile of the x100f, but that one doesn't seem to be weather resistant as far as I can tell.

Any others that are around that size that are weather sealed?

Oct 25, 2017
Ok the X-T2 seems to be the body i want but for the lens, I was looking at the 27mm f/2.8 one which get it pretty close to the profile of the x100f, but that one doesn't seem to be weather resistant as far as I can tell.

Just get the 23mm F2, it's sharper than what's on the X100F anyway. Granted the 27mm should survive just fine despite not being sealed, just keep in mind that a lot of the older Fuji lenses don't have weather resistance and need to be refreshed, but they still seem to be pretty resilient.

Nov 11, 2017
Just placed the order for my first non-phone digital camera since the mid 00s- the Canon EOS M100. I wanted to spend something like $300 on a camera- I wanted something better than my phone but this is going to be purely as a small hobby for me so I wanted a low buy-in. I went to the store and tried a bunch of DSLRs, and decided that I wanted to try something mirrorless because I just found DSLRs to be too heavy/bulky to use. While I would prefer something with a viewfinder, this camera was the best I could do in my price range (I'm getting a refurbished one)
That is a pretty good deal at that price. I used an Olympus EPL5 for a couple of years with no viewfinder, it was not ideal at times but I got by fine for the most part especially since the LCD rotated the same as on the M100 you're getting. Hope you enjoy the new camera.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Geez, my Canon 100-400 lasted about 4 hours on FM's buy/sell forum before getting scooped up. Love that place.

Like the others said, get the 23/2, perfect walkaround 35mm equiv. If you want a 50mm equiv, the 35/2 is just as good. The Fujicrons are really a defining reason to go Fuji IMO.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So as it turns out, using a MF 135 at 2.8 on FF is fucking hard. Moving subjects are a no-go since Sony focus assists SUCK.

EngenZerO

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered my first camera kit and during setting up today I noticed this on my lens. It's in the inside. I tried using a giottos blower on it. This is my first "real" camera that isn't an iPhone. How concerned should I be.

https://flic.kr/p/24rTR

Edit: there appears to me 1mm spec of dust in the center of the red circle.

Last edited:

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Wtf canon patents a 14-21 f1.4 RF lens.

It'll probably be big, heavy, and expensive but I like what they're doing

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Update: The Fuji X-T3 is out of the running. The wife really disliked the hand feel. A shame since it seems like a pretty great camera. She's pretty set on the Sony A7iii so now to see if I can make the budget work.

I liked all three (Z6, A7iii, X-T3) but I thought the Z6 felt the best to hold, the Sony a close second and then the Fuji.

Oct 25, 2017
Update: The Fuji X-T3 is out of the running. The wife really disliked the hand feel. A shame since it seems like a pretty great camera. She's pretty set on the Sony A7iii so now to see if I can make the budget work.

I liked all three (Z6, A7iii, X-T3) but I thought the Z6 felt the best to hold, the Sony a close second and then the Fuji.
The grips are dog shit honestly. If one is used to a DSLR they pretty much have to screw the vertical grip onto an X-T3 to make it feel good, same with the A7III as well, but the A7III is an excellent camera, I've gotten some great images out of the A7RII, you guys should be fine with the A7III. If you can get some lenses used now to save some money.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
The grips are dog shit honestly. If one is used to a DSLR they pretty much have to screw the vertical grip onto an X-T3 to make it feel good, same with the A7III as well, but the A7III is an excellent camera, I've gotten some great images out of the A7RII, you guys should be fine with the A7III. If you can get some lenses used now to save some money.

Yeah I told her about the vertical grips but she was really unhappy with the way it felt and would be "disappointed" if that's what we got.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I told her about the vertical grips but she was really unhappy with the way it felt and would be "disappointed" if that's what we got.
As an owner of both Fuji cameras I can see how that would be the case. Yeah just go Sony. I own Sony and Fuji...and Nikon and shoot my A7R2 the most unless I'm doing some quick street photography where the Fuji takes over. They both have their place and I'm kind of fighting the urge to trade in my Fuji's since A) I financed the X-T3 and B) I prefer Fuji for overall video work, but if you can cut it down to one system that's perfect. What lenses do you plan on using?

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
As an owner of both Fuji cameras I can see how that would be the case. Yeah just go Sony. I own Sony and Fuji...and Nikon and shoot my A7R2 the most unless I'm doing some quick street photography where the Fuji takes over. They both have their place and I'm kind of fighting the urge to trade in my Fuji's since A) I financed the X-T3 and B) I prefer Fuji for overall video work, but if you can cut it down to one system that's perfect. What lenses do you plan on using?

That's what I'm looking into now. She'll get an all in one lens and that makes sense for her. She never liked changing lenses on the fly and her focal length needs should be satisfied with something like the FE 24-240 f3..5/6.3 OSS lens. I'll also get the kit lens since it's relatively inexpensive and gives a good range.

As for my main lens I'm trying to decide between a 35mm and 50mm prime. I like taking crowd shots the most but also lots of landscapes so I'm thinking this will be a good way to go.

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm looking into now. She'll get an all in one lens and that makes sense for her. She never liked changing lenses on the fly and her focal length needs should be satisfied with something like the FE 24-240 f3..5/6.3 OSS lens. I'll also get the kit lens since it's relatively inexpensive and gives a good range.

As for my main lens I'm trying to decide between a 35mm and 50mm prime. I like taking crowd shots the most but also lots of landscapes so I'm thinking this will be a good way to go.
Just get her the 24-105F4, the all in ones tend to look like crap at the long range unless she really needs that much reach, don't bother with the kit lens. 35 is a bit of a mess on Sony FE. I use the Sigma 35 Art FE, some like the Samyang, the Zeiss is over priced.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Just get her the 24-105F4, the all in ones tend to look like crap at the long range unless she really needs that much reach, don't bother with the kit lens. 35 is a bit of a mess on Sony FE. I use the Sigma 35 Art FE, some like the Samyang, the Zeiss is over priced.
Thanks. I'll look into them. We won't buy anything for a few weeks so lots of time to decide.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you do end up getting the kit lens, buy gray market or used. You can get it for like $150 or less. It's totally a capable lens for what it is, but definitely go for the 24-105 if you can afford it.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I'll look into them. We won't buy anything for a few weeks so lots of time to decide.
Yeah now is pretty much time to read up on the lens ecosystem figure out exactly what it is that you need and budget accordingly. FE mount isn't exactly cheap, but there's some good glass in there. If you don't need 2.8 zooms you mostly should be fine.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FE 24-240 f3..5/6.3 OSS lens
tenor.gif

24-105 will be a far better lens for a variety of reasons.

I'd even entertain the Tamron 28-75 before that 24-240 zoom.