• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

milkham

Oct 25, 2017
True enough. Granted Manhattan streets get pretty populated so you look weird to lots of people. I did this once in front of a door to photograph a frog statue near a school and was surprised I didn't get stepped on.

this guy? I spent over a decade of my life in that neighborhood.

5575504481_6856e3441d_b.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True enough. Granted Manhattan streets get pretty populated so you look weird to lots of people. I did this once in front of a door to photograph a frog statue near a school and was surprised I didn't get stepped on.

Yeah I imagine foot traffic can be super limiting just like cold hands! MN winter light and cold is just super hard to deal with. The light isn't right and you're cold as fuck so it's easy to give up trying to get the shot you want. I take way less photos in the winter. I've been to NYC and even got some great central park snow shots in March a few years back, but yeah I haven't laid on the ground there for shots lol.

Some dudes I know are nuts about like mpls skyline ice reflections and lake Superior fog shots in the dead of winter. I honestly just don't care enough as basically the exact same shots exist a thousand times over and it's fucking subzero usually to hit those shots. Maybe I'm lazy. I think I'm kinda more about that eye for stuff you don't see all the time. Like 90% of mpls photags insta pages are the same fucking thing, and then with loads of bots following them too. I report bots when they follow me, and insta is surprisingly good about booting them.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
d
this guy? I spent over a decade of my life in that neighborhood.

5575504481_6856e3441d_b.jpg
Yup:
D04_7891 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Yeah I imagine foot traffic can be super limiting just like cold hands! MN winter light and cold is just super hard to deal with. The light isn't right and you're cold as fuck so it's easy to give up trying to get the shot you want. I take way less photos in the winter. I've been to NYC and even got some great central park snow shots in March a few years back, but yeah I haven't laid on the ground there for shots lol.

Some dudes I know are nuts about like mpls skyline ice reflections and lake Superior fog shots in the dead of winter. I honestly just don't care enough as basically the exact same shots exist a thousand times over and it's fucking subzero usually to hit those shots. Maybe I'm lazy. I think I'm kinda more about that eye for stuff you don't see all the time. Like 90% of mpls photags insta pages are the same fucking thing, and then with loads of bots following them too.
Sometimes I get very dirty on photography park excursions. An instagram page full of pretty much the same thing sounds boring.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The A6400 may not be THE mini-A9 people have been begging for, but it sure looks like it has similar AF performance to the A9. Tons of excellent BIF shots being posted, looks like a potent little package that I would recommend looking at if you have any interest in a fast AF APS-C body. Some people are even pairing it with the 100-400 with 1.4TC with great results. It's a compelling option at $500 under the X-T3.

Last edited:

jongkookie

Oct 25, 2017
Adorama finally got back to me and Jaded was right lol. It almost feels scammy with the numbers I got.

Does anybody have experience using FF glass on a Fuji APS-C body? I'm thinking of the X-H1 or the X-T2 since both of them have Log video and 4K which are now my priorities. I'd love to get IBIS too but it's not so much a priority.

My shortlist also includes an a6300 and G85 but Fuji is at the top.

Either way, the purpose for this thing is pretty much just video.

Looking forward to hearing y'all's thoughts if y'all have any.

Oct 25, 2017
Adorama finally got back to me and Jaded was right lol. It almost feels scammy with the numbers I got.

Does anybody have experience using FF glass on a Fuji APS-C body? I'm thinking of the X-H1 or the X-T2 since both of them have Log video and 4K which are now my priorities. I'd love to get IBIS too but it's not so much a priority.

My shortlist also includes an a6300 and G85 but Fuji is at the top.

Either way, the purpose for this thing is pretty much just video.

Looking forward to hearing y'all's thoughts if y'all have any.
Why did you even fight me on that? Also yeah just get native Fuji stuff. No reason to mess with crazy crops on that system.

jongkookie

Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely go native with Fuji 3-6 months from now. I'm just curious about FF glass coz I gotta make it work in the meantime.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
d
Sometimes I get very dirty on photography park excursions. An instagram page full of pretty much the same thing sounds boring.

Yeah I personally like to mix up my IG with different pics

Just wait for 3-6 months then, IMO, the X-H1 price will continue to fall and you can probably pick up a kit with a grip and 3 batteries for $900 new by then.

This would be a fucking steal. It's already at like $1300. Which I think it a great price

Oct 25, 2017
A photography instructor once got on my case for putting various things on my IG and told me to just focus on people. I listened for a bit then eventually just blocked him and went back to doing whatever I wanted since he was being an asshole.
I'll definitely go native with Fuji 3-6 months from now. I'm just curious about FF glass coz I gotta make it work in the meantime.
Research what you need now and what they cost used. Fuji is really good on the used market.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This would be a fucking steal. It's already at like $1300. Which I think it a great price
I bought the grip/3 battery kit for $1100 a week ago on Greentoe. Returned it, but still, I think you could go even lower.

A photography instructor once got on my case for putting various things on my IG and told me to just focus on people. I listened for a bit then eventually just blocked him and went back to doing whatever I wanted since he was being an asshole.
Depends on what the point of your IG page is. If you're purely after followers, stick to your genre, people follow because they like your genre. If it's a portfolio of services, then you can be more varied. If it's a personal page, post your food pics and enjoy your 50 followers lol. I just made my personal page private with all 93 followers; most of those are close family and it's my replacement for facebook.

Last edited:

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, the mystery of my b/w self portrait on Flickr continues...it got FOUR THOUSAND VIEWS in one day last week, it's now my number 1 viewed pic by over 5000k views lol

jongkookie

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I think my current lineup of FF glass is more than enough to cover what I'd be doing which are short-form interviews, travel/vlog style vids, and maybe the occasional wedding or two.

My focal range with all my FF glass is a combined 16-250mm(24-375mm accounting for the crop) so it's not really that bad at all... just gotta place the tripod a little farther than usual. I've done this before too, back when I started out years ago I bought FF Nikon glass and used them on a D3200 so it's not a foreign concept to me lol.

The first Fuji lens I'd pick up is the 18-55 2.8-4 or the 23 2 then obviously more primes coz I don't really need a telephoto.

I'm looking at the used X-H1's and you can grab a "demo" for $959. And X-T2's are even lower at $800. Meanwhile a new a6300 + kit lens is at $848 and the G85 + kit is at $697.

I'm tempted to go for the G85 coz of the price and reviews say the video quality is good enough that I can use it for work. The a6300 seems like a bargain at that price since it does have S-Log and 4K, which are the only requirements I have. But the Fuji's keep calling my name lmao.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what the point of your IG page is. If you're purely after followers, stick to your genre, people follow because they like your genre. If it's a portfolio of services, then you can be more varied. If it's a personal page, post your food pics and enjoy your 50 followers lol. I just made my personal page private with all 93 followers; most of those are close family and it's my replacement for facebook.
I honestly just use it to share content. Most of my genres are covered in it, though I guess a second one for street stuff, whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
If you tag each post correctly you should build up followers. A lot of people just like good photography and they don't care if it's street or landscape
I can't get above 600. Half of this has got to be my inconsistent posting schedule. I'm sitting on a couple of thousand images but I don't always like posting old stuff.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't get above 600. Half of this has got to be my inconsistent posting schedule. I'm sitting on a couple of thousand images but I don't always like posting old stuff.
Has nothing to do with hashtags (those are people that will follow for a week and then unfollow), or posting schedule. It's all about following other accounts, liking other pictures, and leaving comments to build a "community" so to speak. Likes and follows aren't free unfortunately.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I only follow other photographers. For some reason I get a lot of asian and Italian fashion shooter following me

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lens Rentals posted their technical review of the 135GM.

"Let's make this simple and straightforward. In the center, that's the highest MTF I've seen on a non-supertelephoto lens. The highest. Let's put particular emphasis on the purple line, which is 50 lp/mm. That's a higher frequency than any manufacturer tests (that we know of), appropriate for fine detail on the highest resolution cameras. We would consider an MTF of 0.5 at 50 lp/mm to be very acceptable. This is hugely better, nearly 0.8 in the center. We've never seen that kind of resolution before."

"But as far as the test goes, the results are pretty simple. This is the sharpest lens we've tested. Period. (At last count, that's out of 300+ lenses tested.)"

Now we can begin the conversation of whether or not you want your 135mm portrait lens to be sharp or soft lol

Oct 25, 2017
Has nothing to do with hashtags (those are people that will follow for a week and then unfollow), or posting schedule. It's all about following other accounts, liking other pictures, and leaving comments to build a "community" so to speak. Likes and follows aren't free unfortunately.
I don't want it to feel like work and shilling though. Between online dating, actual work and looking for photography jobs I can only do but so much.
I only follow other photographers. For some reason I get a lot of asian and Italian fashion shooter following me
I follow a good amount of models and fashion photographers and such. I have no idea what my main follower demographic is.

Oct 25, 2017

"Let's make this simple and straightforward. In the center, that's the highest MTF I've seen on a non-supertelephoto lens. The highest. Let's put particular emphasis on the purple line, which is 50 lp/mm. That's a higher frequency than any manufacturer tests (that we know of), appropriate for fine detail on the highest resolution cameras. We would consider an MTF of 0.5 at 50 lp/mm to be very acceptable. This is hugely better, nearly 0.8 in the center. We've never seen that kind of resolution before."

"But as far as the test goes, the results are pretty simple. This is the sharpest lens we've tested. Period. (At last count, that's out of 300+ lenses tested.)"

Now we can begin the conversation of whether or not you want your 135mm portrait lens to be sharp or soft lol
My wallet be like:
ii8uvy2uu4ckrk4bvr.gif

Is what it is. Gotta play the game to get the benefits.
It's a really boring, shitty, dishonest game though.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

goddammit. i want this so bad.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Local Fnac had both the Sony and Canon 24-105 on display. Both are pretty fine looking lenses. The Canon has a slicker outer appearance but feels a bit larger too, likely because the barrel is more evenly wide compared to the Sony. The prices though. The Eos RP was €2600 for the body+lens. I don't know why anyone considers this a soccer mom camera lol. The Eos R was €3800 with the 'kitlens' so that isn't much better though.

Right in time for 100MP cameras and subsequent 200MB 14-bit RAW files lol.

But damn everything about that lens looks good. Hope this design philosophy fully carries over to the next Sony lenses and trickles down to the G lineup.

Oct 25, 2017
Local Fnac had both the Sony and Canon 24-105 on display. Both are pretty fine looking lenses. The Canon has a slicker outer appearance but feels a bit larger too, likely because the barrel is more evenly wide compared to the Sony. The prices though. The Eos RP was €2600 for the body+lens. I don't know why anyone considers this a soccer mom camera lol. The Eos R was €3800 with the 'kitlens' so that isn't much better though.

Right in time for 100MP cameras and subsequent 200MB 14-bit RAW files lol.

But damn everything about that lens looks good. Hope this design philosophy fully carries over to the next Sony lenses and trickles down to the G lineup.
It has the feature set of a soccer mom camera at the professional price tag with the 24-105 on there. I'm probably over exaggerating a bit yes, but it's definitely not anything I'd waste my money on.
Yeah, if nothing else, I really like how the Canon RF mount lenses look.
The lens ecosystem for RF looks great, just have no interest in their bodies. With the R being the more premiere model being a sad truth since it's pretty much not as good as an A7RII. It's saved by it's lenses.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly hated everything about the 25-105 RF in person. The zoom ring felt rough and cheap and the plastics felt like they'd scratch and ding more easily than the Sony. Sony is killing it with the new lenses, it's like they introduced a new design philosophy with the 24 and that carried into the 135. If and when that 35/1.8 comes out, I think it will be fantastic.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly hated everything about the 25-105 RF in person. The zoom ring felt rough and cheap and the plastics felt like they'd scratch and ding more easily than the Sony. Sony is killing it with the new lenses, it's like they introduced a new design philosophy with the 24 and that carried into the 135. If and when that 35/1.8 comes out, I think it will be fantastic.
Still waiting on a 1.4 35GM. I've heard too much inconsistent shit about the Zeiss Distagon to ever want to blow money on it. It's either shit, great or worse than the Rokinon.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Based from Manny Ortiz video, it also focuses better in low light than the sigma 135. Almost the same in good light though.

T Rex

Nov 17, 2017
I've realized that there is no point in even editing my photos anymore since my monitor is terrible for photography (it is an 8-year-old budget monitor that came with a PC). As such I was eyeing up the Dell Ultrasharp U2518D since it has good reviews and is currently under $300 on Amazon. Does anyone here use this? Or does anyone have any other suggestions in that price range? I am an amateur but my poor monitor has been really hindering my post-processing enjoyment.
Thanks in advance!

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Most likely more accurate as well, like a lot more I would bet. If one doesn't even event photography in weird lighting the Sigma is definitely a smart buy. I can't predict my lighting at all though.
If you do weddings, you should look into a lighting setup. Multiple flashes that you can fire remotely, reflectors, etc. Even for events I'd look into multiple external flashes and set them up in convenient locations.

Oct 25, 2017
If you do weddings, you should look into a lighting setup. Multiple flashes that you can fire remotely, reflectors, etc. Even for events I'd look into multiple external flashes and set them up in convenient locations.
That is a lot of shit that I don't want to haul around let alone worry about people knocking over. I have two flashes and a strobe and to be honest I don't even bring those outside of the studio unless I'm doing a head shot on location. I don't always work just in one room, last event was multiple rooms with subjects that I don't know the placements of. Last wedding I did the only reason why I wished I brought my lighting set up was for the couples portraits and quite frankly that was it (Also wished I had a Fuji TTL flash). Not to mention I'd probably have a few going off when I don't even need them going off which would probably burn out one, it's something that I've contemplated and ran into once with a photographer doing that as I was video recording the same he was doing and it pretty much made out footage look a bit like crap because of it. When you don't drive and pretty much get to things using public transportation the last thing you're going to do is bring a four foot high bag that weighs probably 50lbs on top of your camera bag unless you already know it's crucial to actually doing a job. On top of that I don't want to flash 80 people just to photograph one person. Also it's impossible to know what a convenient location even would be since I never know the lay out of the event until it's actually even happening or even who I'm even supposed to be photographing. I get to an event and I pretty much have to adapt to what's going on without being that much of a distraction for the attendees. The most bit of prep work I've done recently was telling somebody in maintenance to turn the stage lights up higher. Also on top of that I don't even know if I'm allowed to bring and set up lights for these things without someone complaining about them and asking me to turn them off. I've covered and seen people cover a good amount and it's something I don't see at a lot of corporate events unless it's the occasional step and repeat area.