• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Olympus has officially killed the PEN line. End of an era, and was really the start of the mainstream MILC revolution so many years ago.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Olympus has officially killed the PEN line. End of an era, and was really the start of the mainstream MILC revolution so many years ago.
Yep. I had the Panasonic GF1, which came out concurrently, then switched over to the OMD. Wouldn't mind seeing an Olympus take on a FF or APS-C body down the line but both markets are saturated. Their build quality is amazing. And amazing lenses.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really honestly sad about Olympus. They make such lovely camera bodies. Fuji needs to never, never die because I need my satisfying fiddly knobs and dials.

I have no idea how Olympus pulls out of this tailspin. The market is shrinking with very aggressive competitors.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Olympus should partner with someone, Fuji seems too independent (which is good in a way, look at how agile they are), Panasonic aligned with Leica, or they can try small fixes zoom and fixed prime camera I suppose.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Olympus can partner with Pentax.
The two worst companies in terms of providing a logical, cohesive shooting experience lol. I can only imagine the abominations they'd product together.

I had a legit "bad dream" about shooting my Sony last night, and woke up frustrated at it. Nostalgia for Fuji hitting me in the subconscious apparently.

Oct 25, 2017
The two worst companies in terms of providing a logical, cohesive shooting experience lol. I can only imagine the abominations they'd product together.

I had a legit "bad dream" about shooting my Sony last night, and woke up frustrated at it. Nostalgia for Fuji hitting me in the subconscious apparently.
Lol. I've been pretty fine on my Sony lately oddly enough. Pentax partnered with Olympus would be really fucking weird.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't want to buy a grip also don't help. Is it bigger or smaller than the 70-200GM?
the 70-200 is a tad bit longer and almost 100g heavier.

3tZjsp7.png

Phatmanny

Nov 14, 2017
If anyone is interested
I have an x-t3 for sale 1300
Xf 50-140 2.8 1000
Xf 18-55 2.8-4 250

I have it listed on fredmiranda as well
1500 for the xt3 plus kit lens together

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So apparently Leica is now banned on Chinese social media for a commercial that features the Tiananmen Square massacre.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I wonder why is the Fuji 200mm f/2 so uber expensive? Down the line I do plan to get the 50 - 140 + a teleconverter for birds, portraits etc.

If anyone is interested
Xf 50-140 2.8 1000
Xf 18-55 2.8-4 250

I'm interested in the 18-55, I'll send you a PM.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is interested
Xf 50-140 2.8 1000
Xf 18-55 2.8-4 250

I like your Fred Miranda prices better ;-P Have the box for the 50-140 by chance?

That's a ballin price for that 50-140. Should go VERY quick.

Last edited:

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Tomorrow I'm going to shoot a couple of friends, their 4 year old daughter and 1.5 year old son. I guess it's a good oportunity to use my 135mm or the first time out of my house, letting the kids play while I get candids from some distance.

vemodalen

Nov 14, 2017
So I want a Sony RX1R2, but made by Fuji and 50mm. Do you think I would be disappointed with a Fuji X-A5 and the 35/f1.4? Right now I have that lens on my X-H1 and it's terrific, I'm just looking for a slightly smaller body for certain occasions.

I don't want an X-E3 because it doesn't have an adjustable screen, and I don't want an X-T100 because of the prism on top. My biggest fear is the X-A5 will not be up to snuff with AF or IQ. Can anyone give me their impressions of that body?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Join the club I guess.....your criteria is pretty strict, I'd have said XT30 but I'm assuming that's out because of the same reason as the XT100. X100F would be perfect but that's a 35mm equivalent. Yeah that's tough.

jani

Nov 9, 2017
Finland
Updated my camera gear.

Old:
Nikon D700
24-105 f4
70-300

New:
Nikon D500
Nikkor 200-500

I ususally shoot birds/other animals so I needed a little bit more reach..

This new combo is quite heavy 😁

vemodalen

Nov 14, 2017
Join the club I guess.....your criteria is pretty strict, I'd have said XT30 but I'm assuming that's out because of the same reason as the XT100. X100F would be perfect but that's a 35mm equivalent. Yeah that's tough.

Ya, my ideal would be an X100F with flip screen, 50mm equivalent, and WR while I'm dreaming. I have the X100F and it's great, but there's always another dream to chase!

I suppose I could consider the tele conversion lens. Anyone have one of those they can give feedback on?

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Hi CamEra!

I just wanted confirmation of something I've been wondering about. My D300 and 18-200 VR I were stolen a few months ago and I'm looking at buying basically the same gear second-hand now that I'm back in a place where the camera market is a thing. I travel and need to only have one body and lens (weight, convenience), so the 18-200mm was a very good fit.

Considering my very small budget I'm thinking of going for a D300s since it still has that awesome build quality that allowed the D300 to weather incredible abuse. As for the lens, this is where I find myself hesitating between the 18-200 VR II or the latest of the 18-300's versions. I only care about IQ, not the extra range. Is the increase in price and weight (my back, ow) justified or should I just go for the lighter, good old 18-200?

Feel free to point it out if you see other options than this body/lens combo that fulfils my requirements (sturdy, cheap (~350-400€ for both second-hand), single lens with at least 18-140mm range, VR) that I might have missed. For example, FX didn't seem to be a viable option considering the price of both lenses and body but maybe I'm wrong!

Thanks! I'll try to post a few shots later.

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Hi CamEra!

I just wanted confirmation of something I've been wondering about. My D300 and 18-200 VR I were stolen a few months ago and I'm looking at buying basically the same gear second-hand now that I'm back in a place where the camera market is a thing. I travel and need to only have one body and lens (weight, convenience), so the 18-200mm was a very good fit.

Considering my very small budget I'm thinking of going for a D300s since it still has that awesome build quality that allowed the D300 to weather incredible abuse. As for the lens, this is where I find myself hesitating between the 18-200 VR II or the latest of the 18-300's versions. I only care about IQ, not the extra range. Is the increase in price justified or should I just go for the lighter, good old 18-200?

Feel free to point it out if you see other options than this body/lens combo that fulfils my requirements (sturdy, cheap (~350-400€ for both second-hand), single lens with at least 18-140mm range, VR) that I might have missed. For example, FX didn't seem to be a viable option considering the price of both lenses and body but maybe I'm wrong!

Thanks! I'll try to post a few shots later.
If you care about IQ....then stick with the 18-200 IMO, the longer the range, usually the worse the quality. In fact I'd suggest going with the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 (if you can't swing the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 within budget). But if you need the reach, then you need the reach.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
If you care about IQ....then stick with the 18-200 IMO, the longer the range, usually the worse the quality. In fact I'd suggest going with the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 (if you can't swing the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 within budget). But if you need the reach, then you need the reach.

That'd be my thinking but then the lenses are a good few years apart and maybe Nikon improved on the optical solution, who knows :).

And yeah I do need the reach. I actually used a Tamron 17-50 a while back and it was nowhere near enough for what I like to do.

Thank you for the reply, it helps a lot. I also found out that the price difference between the two is larger than I imagined.

EDIT : Also, yeah I used to think about the Nikkor 17-55mm a lot for the build quality but both the price and range are a no-go for me. I understand it's still a damn fine lens.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Bought a Nikon D5300. Is this good?
this needs its own thread. i mean wth chinas distopean media censure is now creeping over to the west because they have so much economic power.
The D5300 is a good sensor in a rather uncomfortable body, but this is solely just my opinion. If you crave a cheap body with poorly laid out buttons and iso that you have to menu dive to access with a tilting screen then that's a good option.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
So I bought a Sony a6000 back in november and have enjoyed tinkering with it, but finding a solid list of tutorials for the thing is quite a hassle, does anyone know of a decent set of videos to guide me on the right path?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
If you crave a cheap body with poorly laid out buttons and iso that you have to menu dive to access with a tilting screen then that's a good option.

To be fair, you can map ISO to the custom function button (pretty much the only useful thing to have there). Also, once you set up the My Menu thing with your most used settings, you pretty much don't need to menu dive at all.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, you can map ISO to the custom function button (pretty much the only useful thing to have there). Also, once you set up the My Menu thing with your most used settings, you pretty much don't need to menu dive at all.
I keep forgetting this is a thing on that camera. I still don't like A) the grip, B) the overall size C) the one command dial setup D) lack of weather sealing E) the maximum shutter speed and F) the AF point spread. I don't like entry level cameras. I might not even like the eye cups for these cameras because I remember the ones I had for the D600 and D7100 falling off occasionally.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
So I was looking online for a Tamron 28-75 for my A7III because I want an all around lens for when I don't want to pack heavily, it will also be my first zoom lens in quite a while, I do mainly portraits so I own the 55mm Zeiss and the 105 1.4 Sigma that honestly am looking to get rid of, its size is massive, tho the IQ is great and I am kind of emotionally attached lol, and on the wide end I have a cheap Samyang 14mm MF and a 28mm F2 that had an accident and I am at its mercy for when it wants to work well and repairing it is more expensive than I'd like. Anyway I noticed that the Zeiss 24-70 4.0 is cheaper which I found weird because their MSRP is the opposite, with shipping to Mexico and on the sites from around here, I can find the Zeiss for like 300USD cheaper, would you go for it or the Tamron? I can afford either atm or do I say screw those options and save the money for a 24mm GM later this year?

Oct 25, 2017
So I was looking online for a Tamron 28-75 for my A7III because I want an all around lens for when I don't want to pack heavily, it will also be my first zoom lens in quite a while, I do mainly portraits so I own the 55mm Zeiss and the 105 1.4 Sigma that honestly am looking to get rid of, its size is massive, tho the IQ is great and I am kind of emotionally attached lol, and on the wide end I have a cheap Samyang 14mm MF and a 28mm F2 that had an accident and I am at its mercy for when it wants to work well and repairing it is more expensive than I'd like. Anyway I noticed that the Zeiss 24-70 4.0 is cheaper which I found weird because their MSRP is the opposite, with shipping to Mexico and on the sites from around here, I can find the Zeiss for like 300USD cheaper, would you go for it or the Tamron? I can afford either atm or do I say screw those options and save the money for a 24mm GM later this year?
Honestly neither since from what I've heard the Zeiss is a bit soft. I'd honestly go for the 24-105G, but if I have to choose I'd get the Tamron.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
What's a good ~$500 camera for video? I'm located in japan so preferably something that's reasonably priced here.

Oct 25, 2017
So I think the model is named g8 here in japan and on amazon it's priced at 84,000 YEN ~ 750 USD including a lens(12 - 60mm).
A bit more than I'd like to spend but not out of the question.
Do you have any recommendations for a less "bulky" camera?
What exactly are you looking for? You want cheap, but you also want small and for it to do video well. Use your phone. Find out what the GX85 is branded in your country and buy that.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...c_gx85wk_lumix_dmc_gx85_mirrorless_micro.html

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly are you looking for? You want cheap, but you also want small and for it to do video well. Use your phone. Find out what the GX85 is branded in your country and buy that.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...c_gx85wk_lumix_dmc_gx85_mirrorless_micro.html
I guess I'm trying to figure out what I want. As someone with little camera experience it's like navigating a jungle trying to figure out what to get. Do you have any thoughts on gx85/gx9? I like the size of it but I can be convinced to go for a bulkier(like the g85) camera if the cost/performance proposition is substantially better.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm trying to figure out what I want. As someone with little camera experience it's like navigating a jungle trying to figure out what to get. Do you have any thoughts on gx85/gx9? I like the size of it but I can be convinced to go for a bulkier(like the g85) camera if the cost/performance proposition is substantially better.
What is your intended use case for the camera? Also don't expect me to do your research for you. I can help and guide, but I don't know what you want or what you're doing so I have no idea what's important for you. There's what I have and use and none of that is in your price range to be honest or not anything I'd tell a beginner to buy since you have no idea what you're really willing to invest in just yet. Try looking for a Sony A6000 since the sensor size is bigger. The best thing I can say is to go a camera store, if you're in Japan checkout Map Camera, it should have everything in there. Go there play with everything, find out what you like holding and the ergonomics of it and take it from there, also do your research so you know what's important to you. If you have to rent something for a week and take it from there. Buying your first camera is not easy, I have bought 8 cameras in almost four years and it's still not easy for me, though it's getting a little easier at this point since I have a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Honestly neither since from what I've heard the Zeiss is a bit soft. I'd honestly go for the 24-105G, but if I have to choose I'd get the Tamron.

I guess you are right, I spent the last hours looking at the Zeiss photos and I am not convinced, it also helps that for my work I don't really need it, just want it, maybe I'll just wait for the 17-28 Tamron, that way I´d be covered at wide angles and leave my Sigma and Zeiss for portrait issues

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Randomly decided to check out the thread for the first time in a while...
PEN or just PEN-F? Cause I saw the rumor on the latter, but haven't seen anything about the regular PEN series...although I could see the logic in killing that off too if that's the case.

(PEN being their entry level rangefinder style stuff, PEN-F being their one time/generation kinda special edition fancy semi-high end one...that I really want and was waiting for a second gen model at some point.)
The newest bad sign of many. They are being WAY too stubborn about m43 and refusing to partner on the L mount.
Yeah they might as well...their bodies have gotten just as large as full frame stuff anyway.