• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm super curious to see how it's marketed honestly. So far, that entire market is usually high end fashion, product, and landscape/still subjects, but if they are hyping IBIS and EyeAF, who knows what they have planned. It's not a cam I'd chase a kid with.
No it's not and cam for chasing kids. Hopefully it craters the price on the GFX50S or something. I can't wait to see images from it', but it's definitely not something I'd be buying anytime soon.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Nice specs....I can see the tech trickle down to the next 50s/50r bodies with 50mp sensors which should make them nimbler for more general stuff. But this is of course for high end fashion, product, landscape etc.

100m 1.4? Fuck me.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I like looking through the GFX image thread on FM, but when I see something like this and realize that someone spent $10,000 to take a shitty picture of a cat, I want to scream.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1482923/28#14856919
Yeah there's a lot of that. And then you have 3 people liking the post, who knows why. Then a few posts below the azalea photos are taken with a Canon 200mm f/1.8 which is another insane lens, very rare. He has nice gear, I'll give him that.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I think I hate JL just about as much as I hate the angry photographer guy. How he managed to get such shitty pics out of that setup, I'll never know.
I wonder if I would have kept her in that same spot. I mean, this lens obliterates the background yeah, but you got those buildings and stuff, and that's pretty much what he keeps in the back. There are some nice rocks to the left which would have been pretty great while still being able to use the sun. Yeah I would have moved her around a bit.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know more about the Ball head operation.

if there's a separate lock just for the Pano.

EDIT: nvm. I do have that $20 Pano only attachment
What about panoramic pictures? Is there any way to lock ballhead only for horizontal movement?

In short, no, the Compact Ball Head sold on the Peak Design Travel Tripod does not have an independent panning function. Using the Peak Design ball head ring creates a unique simple workflow that is different than typical ball heads and we encourage you to give it a try without comparing features 1:1 with other heads.
Peak Design is aware that the compact ball head is not ideal for the video community. Because of this we have a pan/tilt video head for the travel tripod on our development roadmap.
For now, we have an add-on adapter that allows our tripod to be used with any 3rd party ball head. If you use the panning function frequently and/or shoot a lot of video, we recommend using this adapter

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
To me, good use of flash should almost be invisible. That way he uses it is often 180 degrees from the scene's main light source, dialed up to 11, and shot straight at the subject. It looks like amateur hour to me, but I'm a natural light shooter, so I'm probably biased.
Oh ok, now I get your complaints. I'm natural light mostly unless I'm doing a headshot, which is when I pretty much have to use some light sources. I've been using three these days. I might have sent you a couple and you didn't have a complaint about them, but I'm not sure.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I dont see what's so revolutionary, it's just a well designed tripod.
Also why does Peak design always use kickstarter for a new product, are they not big enough to just launch a product without kickstarter?

Yeah it looks pretty good, but actual user experience will say whether it is worth it's money. Might pick it up when I'm buying my tripod though, if reviews are good.

They got big by Kickstarter so I guess they just want to stay loyal to their 'fans'. Not like this KS is anything else than a normal pre-order.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Annie shot the Vanity Fair cover story on an Alpha with a Zeiss (35/1.4)?

Yu9AGvz.jpg

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Production unit looking pretty much like the dummy bodies we've seen, it's a beast.

GFX100-2-700x811.jpg

GFX100-3-700x737.jpg

I'm honestly amazed they didn't put a d-pad on there. I'm sure that nub towards the bottom will serve as it, but Fuji joysticks usually aren't great.

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's lame. Huge piece of unused plastic right there for a nice big dpad or stick.
I'm really not sure what you're expecting. That's what they look like on most flagship bodies.
Oh, I see that now, and another unmarked AF-ON button by it too for portrait. Would be really cool if Fuji allows you to map those buttons for different purposes depending on the orientation of the camera.
I'd like to think you can map them to something else I think...unless they're redundancy buttons and are mapped to whatever the horizontal buttons do.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Since I cut my teeth on Canon, the wheel became 2nd nature. I do love having ISO tied to it.
It's fine for the most part. Sometimes my fingers press in while rotating or rotate instead of press and I get something I'm not trying to get. Accidentally turned on the self timer on Friday while doing some recording. I'm probably the only one crazy enough to have the center button as my WB button, but it's important enough to me to be able to change without menu diving.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fine for the most part. Sometimes my fingers press in while rotating or rotate instead of press and I get something I'm not trying to get. Accidentally turned on the self timer on Friday while doing some recording. I'm probably the only one crazy enough to have the center button as my WB button, but it's important enough to me to be able to change without menu diving.

Oly is nice that way too with the quick menu button. You should maybe give one a spin.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Erm....you could just use PS for that. Aside from a high q ND filter....I see no need for filters in this day and age. The GFX 100 looks beastly. Could use one more top dial though. But it has three wheels (aside from the top one), I guess you could set it any way you want to.

Oct 25, 2017
An oly system is pretty damn cheap if you avoid the pro lenses which imo you really don't need unless you need wr.

Or even just grab a em5ii, em10ii, or pen-f and a 1.7 20mm for a pocket cam. Don't need a whole system.
Why would I choose this over just grabbing my X-T2 or 3 or A7RII? Operating under the assumption that I'm not looking for a pocket system. The only purpose for it would be a camera that I don't give a shit about to just randomly throw in my bag for my morning commute which is the point in time when I'm usually not taking pictures any way. I honestly think M43 had its chance when I was initially looking at mirrorless cameras and didn't know how to adjust the aperture on the Fuji cameras. After I learned how to work the X-T2 I mostly stopped looking at the system as something I'll buy. My job ordered a GH4 for gimbal work and that's most likely the only time I'm using a M43 camera. If I ever need something that small I'll get a Fuji X-E3 and a pancake lens.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would I choose this over just grabbing my X-T2 or 3 or A7RII? Operating under the assumption that I'm not looking for a pocket system. The only purpose for it would be a camera that I don't give a shit about to just randomly throw in my bag for my morning commute which is the point in time when I'm usually not taking pictures any way. I honestly think M43 had its chance when I was initially looking at mirrorless cameras and didn't know how to adjust the aperture on the Fuji cameras. After I learned how to work the X-T2 I mostly stopped looking at the system as something I'll buy. My job ordered a GH4 for gimbal work and that's most likely the only time I'm using a M43 camera. If I ever need something that small I'll get a Fuji X-E3 and a pancake lens.

Ok whatevs.

Oct 25, 2017
Also considering how I have my cameras across my shoulder and not hanging off of my neck the weight thing really hasn't been that much of a bother for me lately. Don't get me wrong I don't mind people getting into M43 if it's an ecosystem that suits them, but for me as a fourth mount it doesn't really add that much for me considering the stuff is slightly smaller than my Fuji system. At this point any money put to another camera would be coming out of second Sony body money for event coverage.