• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also considering how I have my cameras across my shoulder and not hanging off of my neck the weight thing really hasn't been that much of a bother for me lately. Don't get me wrong I don't mind people getting into M43 if it's an ecosystem that suits them, but for me as a fourth mount it doesn't really add that much for me considering the stuff is slightly smaller than my Fuji system. At this point any money put to another camera would be coming out of second Sony body money for event coverage.

Whatever floats your boat. I wasn't saying go buy shit, just try it out at a shop or rent or borrow. If not whatevs. Just making a suggestion to try it out.

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever floats your boat. I wasn't saying go buy shit, just try it out at a shop or rent or borrow. If not whatevs. Just making a suggestion to try it out.
I have very briefly dealt with the stuff in store displays years ago. I don't hate the feel of them, just have no interest in them. I'd personally rather just put that rental fee into buying an e mount speedlight over renting a camera I have no real interest in buying.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn. I hope Fuji keeps kicking ass in medium format. I could definitely see myself moving to it one day. Just need the capabilities of that GFX100 for at least half the price.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Jonas' stuff is so breathtaking. I don't know exactly what it is....the way he plays with light and shadow. The GFX100 is never a type of camera I'd use...but looking forward to that tech trickling down into the GFX50S style body...and we got a stew cooking. Hell I'll take 80 MP.

Edit: Make that the S type body...

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jonas' stuff is so breathtaking. I don't know exactly what it is....the way he plays with light and shadow. The GFX100 is never a type of camera I'd use...but looking forward to that tech trickling down into the GFX50S style body...and we got a stew cooking. Hell I'll take 80 MP.

Edit: Make that the S type body...
Jonas is an underappreciated master of street photography in my opinion.

Look at how the white shirt perfectly lines up with the light portion of the walkway. This is masterful stuff, even if it was posed, which I highly doubt it was. His understanding of light is superb, and it's nuts to me that he's a glorified hobbiest that does this on the side.

dscf1085.jpg

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jonas is an underappreciated master of street photography in my opinion.

Look at how the white shirt perfectly lines up with the light portion of the walkway. This is masterful stuff, even if it was posed, which I highly doubt it was. His understanding of light is superb, and it's nuts to me that he's a glorified hobbiest that does this on the side.

dscf1085.jpg

Yeah, this and the stuff in that GFX100 post are great.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hugh has a pretty great first hands on video where we see a ton about how the menus and dials work. This really is an X-T2 on mega steroids. 24x zoom mag in MF, holy moly!

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Curious to hear your impressions of the auto focus, as I've heard it's quite poor, although the IQ seems great.
It's pretty bad in initial testing - worse than my other Samyang AF lens, the 35mm f/2.8. It's fine if it can find eyes or faces, but outside of that it's kind of a crapshoot so far. That said, Samyang seems to be decent about firmware updates (I grabbed it with a free lens station) so I'm cautiously hopeful for improvements. Even if there aren't any, it's good to go as-is for portraits. Very satisfied with it for the price. I'll report back when I've had more experience with it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty bad in initial testing - worse than my other Samyang AF lens, the 35mm f/2.8. It's fine if it can find eyes or faces, but outside of that it's kind of a crapshoot so far. That said, Samyang seems to be decent about firmware updates (I grabbed it with a free lens station) so I'm cautiously hopeful for improvements. Even if there aren't any, it's good to go as-is for portraits. Very satisfied with it for the price. I'll report back when I've had more experience with it.
This pretty much explains why I refuse to buy Samyang AF lenses.

Oct 25, 2017
The 35 2.8 AF is totally competent at it though!

I own four Samyangs now - two AF, two manual, one Minolta mount and three E mount - and I think all told I'm out $1k. I'm totally fine with this, lol.
They are great at the price, but at the same time I do too much stuff for actual work so a lot of it's kind of on my "no" list. I almost bought the 35 1.4 but heard about too many QC stories.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had a small moment of panic last night...dropped just over $200 on a Breakthrough ND filter and step up ring, figured if I was going to buy one I wanted to only buy one once and just ball out...but when I tested it, I was getting these horrendous rings in the shot:

W8l8khS.jpg

Turns out it's something called Newton Rings, and is only visible under fluorescent light, and seems to be limited to Breakthrough filters. The more you know! Wanted to share in case someone saw something similar, it took a post on FM to figure out, I wasn't finding anything on google about it.

Shouldn't be an issue outside, eager to try this thing out, heading out to the Smoky Mountains tomorrow for some hiking and waterfall shooting.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm borrowing my friend's Sigma 50-100 1.8. It's pretty damn amazing. The IQ is damn good. Can't wait to take it out this weekend!

Oct 25, 2017
2.8 zone are pretty solid though.
Not if you're doing low light event work. I really don't use my Fuji's for indoor event photography. The only one I use is the 16-55 with a flash. I don't really like the high iso on the Fuji's so I don't use the 50-140 indoors. Lately my event combo has been the X-T3 with the 16-55 with a flash and the Sony A7RII with the 2.8 70-200GM since the A7RII handles low light leagues better than any of the Fuji cameras.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Not if you're doing low light event work. I really don't use my Fuji's for indoor event photography. The only one I use is the 16-55 with a flash. I don't really like the high iso on the Fuji's so I don't use the 50-140 indoors. Lately my event combo has been the X-T3 with the 16-55 with a flash and the Sony A7RII with the 2.8 70-200GM since the A7RII handles low light leagues better than any of the Fuji cameras.

Physics has limitations but still I would get a 2.8 crop zoom if the price was right.

Oct 25, 2017
They would weigh like twice as much.
They would weigh what the 2.8 zooms for CaNikon would weigh, I'm quite used to these. I mostly got into mirrorless for video work and the EVF tech. When it comes to indoor event work I just care about light gathering. I'd use the Fuji zooms more for event work if their light gathering was better. I don't cover that many events using the 50-140 for that exact reason.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Surprisingly (or maybe not), only Olympus had a standard f2 zoom, it's pretty rare and very expensive:

I was always curious about it, but being such a niche lens, I don't know if many people bought it. I wouldn't put it past Fuji to make two zooms covering 24 - 200mm, but they would be big and expensive. F2.8 zooms basically ensure price, weight, size parity that a lot of people will buy, beyond that the lenses become exotic. But that would be cool if they made these down the line.

Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly (or maybe not), only Olympus had a standard f2 zoom, it's pretty rare and very expensive:

I was always curious about it, but being such a niche lens, I don't know if many people bought it. I wouldn't put it past Fuji to make two zooms covering 24 - 200mm, but they would be big and expensive. F2.8 zooms basically ensure price, weight, size parity that a lot of people will buy, beyond that the lenses become exotic. But that would be cool if they made these down the line.
I guess if they made an F2 50-140 it would be priced at what the 2.8 70-200GM runs.

Oct 25, 2017
It would also likely be far too big on a T body.
I guess I just want the impossible and improbable then, just explains why I don't use my Fuji's for too much event work. I mean I'd love to, but I shoot natural light way too much at these things. The 16-55 is great with a flash, but the 50-140 as a natural light lens combined with how much I tend to not like the high iso on the Fuji's makes it a no no for me.
This lens for $500 is a fucking bargain.

Iamcenok

Oct 27, 2017
Welp guys. After a long hiatus from this thread.. I decided to share my newest buy.
Goodbye to my 24-70 2.8, and say hello to my 24-70 2.8!

60985206_10156367658222742_8329621932769017856_o.jpg