• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
The 28-75 is a wide angle lens, if you need anything wider you have a few options. You have either the Tamron 17-28 or the Sigma 14-24 2.8. Honestly at this point I prefer what Sigma has to offer over Tamron because their size compromise gimmick is actually stunting their focal lengths a little bit, but that's more of a me thing. Pretty much to give you things to google:
Check out the:
Tamron 17-28 2.8
Sigma 24-70 2.8
and the Sigma 14-24 2.8
Also yes the A7III is still a good camera, it'll still be a good camera after it gets replaced. If you want to up the resolution of the body look at used A7RIII's.
Many thanks, I am new to all the lens jargon lol

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Posted this in the photography thread but maybe this one is more relevant....

New to the thread and I have been loving all of the pictures that I have had a quick look at! Amazing work! I really want to get into photography so have a few questions which I am hoping I can get some advice on from this thread...

I currently just take photos on my Pixel 4 XL which has been amazing but I think I have decided to get the Sony A7 III - is this still a good option in 2020? I was going to get the body only and pair it with this lens:

https://www.cameraworld.co.uk/product/tamron-28-75mm-f2-8-di-iii-rxd-sony-e-mount-fit.html - would this be a good combo....?

If I did get these, what would be the best wide angle lens to get on a budget?

Lastly...I currently only have an iPad Pro 11 inch is this suitable to edit photos on properly and if so, which app is best to use? Ideally I don't want to have to fork out for a laptop too but I would consider trading this iPad in and get a MacBook if needed.

Any advice would be helpful!

The A7III is a great camera, still one of the best in the market and will still be good several years after, get that and don't get fixated on upgrading your camera once the 7IV, V or VI get announced, lenses are way more important, and your choice of lens is already a good one, but as Jaded said I'd get the Sigma 24-70, seems to be better build, and those 4mm a lot of times make the difference (the Tamron is still a good lens tho).

As for the iPad Pro, I have a 10.5 in which I do tons of work, I work with models and events and so far I've replaced a lot of my workflow with the iPad, I'd get Affinity Photo and Pixelmator Pro Photo as Photoshop/Lightroom replacements, I am a suscriber of Adobe CC so in my case I use Lightroom for color correction and editing photos in batch, for retouching and until Photoshop iPad get more functions I use Affinity, also iOS 13 has corrected a lot of annoyances inherent to the earlier versions of the iPad. There are some times where I have to use a PC tho, but that kind of work I do it on a powerful desktop at home and I am already 2 years without a laptop because the iPad advantages (size, form factor, even the Apple Pencil and don't understimate what you can do by combining several different apps that would take a lot of time replicating on PC/Mac) outweight my need for a laptop

Oct 25, 2017
The A7III is a great camera, still one of the best in the market and will still be good several years after, get that and don't get fixated on upgrading your camera once the 7IV, V or VI get announced, lenses are way more important, and your choice of lens is already a good one, but as Jaded said I'd get the Sigma 24-70, seems to be better build, and those 4mm a lot of times make the difference (the Tamron is still a good lens tho).

As for the iPad Pro, I have a 10.5 in which I do tons of work, I work with models and events and so far I've replaced a lot of my workflow with the iPad, I'd get Affinity Photo and Pixelmator Pro Photo as Photoshop/Lightroom replacements, I am a suscriber of Adobe CC so in my case I use Lightroom for color correction and editing photos in batch, for retouching and until Photoshop iPad get more functions I use Affinity, also iOS 13 has corrected a lot of annoyances inherent to the earlier versions of the iPad. There are some times where I have to use a PC tho, but that kind of work I do it on a powerful desktop at home and I am already 2 years without a laptop because the iPad advantages (size, form factor, even the Apple Pencil and don't understimate what you can do by combining several different apps that would take a lot of time replicating on PC/Mac) outweight my need for a laptop
Photograph enough shit in a room with your ass pressed up against a wall you don't want your wide to be 28mm. Depending on what you photograph a person could even get by on an A7RII. I'd get an A7III, but I need a good electronic shutter camera so I'm looking a A9's. Regarding editing programs I'm becoming a Capture One fan.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's basically a Z6.
And that's a camera that I really don't want. I'll contemplate adding a Z, but the lens line up has to fill up and start hitting the second hand market more and they need to improve their bodies. As an X mount and E mount user I would need to something to really wow me in their second gen bodies. I'll probably just get a D850 and D5 when those prices crater at some point, but I oddly enough have a more filled out ecosystem on E mount than I do on F mount.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I'm curious if Fuji will announce the X100VA soon and the specs....but typically that's also a pricey camera. Not super optimistic about the XT3 successor, I'm honestly not sure what they can add in 1.5 years of development. IBIS is definitely good but if that's it then meh.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if Fuji will announce the X100VA soon and the specs....but typically that's also a pricey camera. Not super optimistic about the XT3 successor, I'm honestly not sure what they can add in 1.5 years of development. IBIS is definitely good but if that's it then meh.
Yeah basically I'm not super hyped about the the X-T4, it's going to be what it is, but if it's just the X-T3 with IBIS, I'll pass since I already got an X-H1, which I like. X-H2 would be lovely, but not happening yet. They really need to kill off some of their lower tiered cameras or drop the price of the X-Txx cameras and kill off the X-T100 and XA lines. They really do make too many god damn cameras. Leave the X-Pro series as the rangefinder body, drop the XE and be done with it unless it's actually profitable.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah basically I'm not super hyped about the the X-T4, it's going to be what it is, but if it's just the X-T3 with IBIS, I'll pass since I already got an X-H1, which I like. X-H2 would be lovely, but not happening yet. They really need to kill off some of their lower tiered cameras or drop the price of the X-Txx cameras and kill off the X-T100 and XA lines. They really do make too many god damn cameras. Leave the X-Pro series as the rangefinder body, drop the XE and be done with it unless it's actually profitable.

depending on what y'all do I suppose ibis is fucking awesome though. I don't know how many stops Fuji is talking but oly em1 ii is amazing. Basically eliminates the need for a tripod entirely unless you're doing more than 2-3 sec LEs. You can also pretty much always shoot at 200 iso. Even with 300mm equiv telephotos in low light. And yes even concerts and events with a faster shutter (but still slower shutter than you would shoot with FF or apsc if you need to increase iso a bit).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
depending on what y'all do I suppose ibis is fucking awesome though. I don't know how many stops Fuji is talking but oly em1 ii is amazing. Basically eliminates the need for a tripod entirely unless you're doing more than 2-3 sec LEs. You can also pretty much always shoot at 200 iso. Even with 300mm equiv telephotos in low light. And yes even concerts and events with a faster shutter (but still slower shutter than you would shoot with FF or apsc if you need to increase iso a bit).
Really depends, but it doesn't seem too bad so far. Also keep in mind my subjects tend to move so I can't go too long in my shutter speeds. I'm going to give it a go at a park this weekend if I get decent weather. Sony's isn't bad, but it does have it's limits with the 100-400.
This shot on the X-H1 was the one that made me take notice of how good the IBIS is on it. It's at 1/60th with a 135mm equivalent lens:
XH010151 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
She's tack sharp.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
IBIS is awesome, I am basically saying XT3 should've already had IBIS. As you said, my OMD had IBIS 8 years ago, Sonys have it. It's kind of the norm. XT series was lacking it up to this point (still not confirmed of course). It's a nice to have for me, really useful for interior architectural details. But most of my photos are objects in motion so IBIS is not a requirement. But definitely nice when you have it, specially with the 56mm lens, else you are stuck using it at 1/80 at the lowest end. Or the 90mm as Marcus posted above is where you really start to see the benefits. That said, it alone isn't a "good" upgrade for me, but if anyone is new to Fuji, the next XT would be an awesome camera for them.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not quite tack sharp but not bad for 1 sec shutter handheld. This is a cheap oly 40-150mm lens (like regularly $99 lol). Apologies for not using Flickr, stopped using it when they capped the storage.

edit: ugh does era further compress photos? Looks worse than imgur zooming in by like 5x lol.

JnPT4jx.jpg

guess I gotta figure out my Flickr login again

wait weird, why when you click on the image to open it it looks terrible vs just zooming within the forum page? On mobile btw. Like you can actually read the neon signs just zooming in on the forum page but expanding then zooming it looks god awful.

Last edited:

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Jesus titty fucking Christ does Facebook teach you to hate your fellow photographer.

If I learned something from facebook is that I am an idiot for buying Sony, and also people are idiots for buying canons and nikons, and fujis, and also my photos ain't worth shit, but also those photos from multi awarded artists? Also shit because they don't respect the rule of thirds, oh and I am the reason this world is shit and headed to its own destruction

Oct 25, 2017
If I learned something from facebook is that I am an idiot for buying Sony, and also people are idiots for buying canons and nikons, and fujis, and also my photos ain't worth shit, but also those photos from multi awarded artists? Also shit because they don't respect the rule of thirds, oh and I am the reason this world is shit and headed to its own destruction
I praise IBIS and all of a sudden I don't know what the fuck I'm doing and have to hear about Bresson and see his puddle photograph because it's the pinnacle of photography.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Jesus titty fucking Christ does Facebook teach you to hate your fellow photographer.
I was gonna chime in on the 56mm topic...the thing is, that lens just mis-focuses due to the heavy glass, it's literally designed for portrait work like the Canon 85 1.2. DOES NOT mean it can't be improved with faster motors. FB just makes things worse 100 fold because many people have no clue wtf they are talking about.

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna chime in on the 56mm topic...the thing is, that lens just mis-focuses due to the heavy glass, it's literally designed for portrait work like the Canon 85 1.2. DOES NOT mean it can't be improved with faster motors. FB just makes things worse 100 fold because many people have no clue wtf they are talking about.
Fucking this, but they act like they know what they're talking about. Fuji designing a multifunction focal length to do one thing is stupid on their part though.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah I think they were taking a purist approach. And it's a shame....it's SUCH a good lens otherwise. But that's the thing, if they use the same tech as the 90mm, that 56mm becomes a GODLY lens for portrait and street work. It's such a fucking frustrating lens for me. I have some of my best photos with it...and some where I'm shaking my head at the images I lost because it misfocused. I'm thinking of replacing it with the 90mm but it's just more versatile of a focal length. Fuji could really improve this one.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think they were taking a purist approach. And it's a shame....it's SUCH a good lens otherwise. But that's the thing, if they use the same tech as the 90mm, that 56mm becomes a GODLY lens for portrait and street work. It's such a fucking frustrating lens for me. I have some of my best photos with it...and some where I'm shaking my head at the images I lost because it misfocused. I'm thinking of replacing it with the 90mm but it's just more versatile of a focal length. Fuji could really improve this one.
Yeah which sucks for me because I actually like to shoot primes for stuff these days. I'm not really on a zoom unless I actually have to be.

zabora

Apr 11, 2019
I'm thinking to get a general walk around Lens, and I'm trying to decide between the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, the Sony FE 24-105mm f4, and the Sony FE 24-70mm f2.8.

My current lens line up has a 16-35mm f2.8 Sony Zeiss, 50mm f1.4 Sony prime lens, and a 70-400mm Sony G lens (all Alpha lenses adapted to work with my A7Rii camera)

Now my dilemma is, is it worth to splurge on the Sony GM 24-70mm? I tend to keep my lenses for many many years and enjoy using them.
I've previously had a Tamron Macro lens that I never really loved, so I'm not sure if I should go with a Tamron (even though this particular lens has fantastic reviews).

The 24-105 has a good amount of reach, which is useful, but I wonder if the f4 aperture going to limit me.

My main area of interest is Landscape/Urban/travel photography and I tend to like long shutter night photography.

Wonder if anyone has any input on any of the above and some advise would be appreciated.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking to get a general walk around Lens, and I'm trying to decide between the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, the Sony FE 24-105mm f4, and the Sony FE 24-70mm f2.8.

My current lens line up has a 16-35mm f2.8 Sony Zeiss, 50mm f1.4 Sony prime lens, and a 70-400mm Sony G lens (all Alpha lenses adapted to work with my A7Rii camera)

Now my dilemma is, is it worth to splurge on the Sony GM 24-70mm? I tend to keep my lenses for many many years and enjoy using them.
I've previously had a Tamron Macro lens that I never really loved, so I'm not sure if I should go with a Tamron (even though this particular lens has fantastic reviews).

The 24-105 has a good amount of reach, which is useful, but I wonder if the f4 aperture going to limit me.

My main area of interest is Landscape/Urban/travel photography and I tend to like long shutter night photography.

Wonder if anyone has any input on any of the above and some advise would be appreciated.
You should just look into Sigma's 24-70 2.8 that they just released since it's cheaper than Sony's 24-105 and for all I know actually sharper. If you're using that much A mount adapted glass on the A7RII no less I'm assuming nothing you photograph moves around too much? I heard the adapted glass take a bit of a knock on the AF so I never bothered with getting any of it. I already know I'd never use it for paid work.

zabora

Apr 11, 2019
You should just look into Sigma's 24-70 2.8 that they just released since it's cheaper than Sony's 24-105 and for all I know actually sharper. If you're using that much A mount adapted glass on the A7RII no less I'm assuming nothing you photograph moves around too much? I heard the adapted glass take a bit of a knock on the AF so I never bothered with getting any of it. I already know I'd never use it for paid work.

Yeah the AF is terrible with the adaptor, but I mainly shoot landscape and architecture so AF is not critical to me, sharpness and distortions bother me more.

That Sigma lens sounds promising and nice size too compared to the Sony GM (not to mention half the price), I'm gonna go read up some reviews.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the AF is terrible with the adaptor, but I mainly shoot landscape and architecture so AF is not critical to me, sharpness and distortions bother me more.

That Sigma lens sounds promising and nice size too compared to the Sony GM (not to mention half the price), I'm gonna go read up some reviews.
Yeah that Sigma's what I recommend these days to people. It's a really good bang for the budget lens and only like $300 more than the Tamron.

Oct 25, 2017
All Fuji had to do was make a great feeling large body camera to get me to enjoy the system again. The X-H1 is a very under appreciated camera. Great grip and smooth shutter.

Reckoner

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm not exactly on that more compact hype 100%. I like the X-T2 with primes, not so much with actual zooms. I didn't like that kit lens either, but that's just me.
Which one would you recommend as a first lens that also works well for video?

I'm keen on the 18-55mm mostly because of its versatility, but I'm definitely open for some other option.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the XT2/3 are the perfect size for something like the 16 1.4, but the XE-3 is an absolutely lovely size if I'm using the Laowa 9mm or the 35 f2.

Oct 25, 2017
Which one would you recommend as a first lens that also works well for video?

I'm keen on the 18-55mm mostly because of its versatility, but I'm definitely open for some other option.
I basically use the 16-55 and the 50-140, keep in mind I'm normally on a tripod. My other lenses are the 90F2, 23 1.4 and 56 1.2. I did a portrait session on the 18-55 once and that was the end of it. I started saving up for the 16-55 after that. I'm also indoors a lot and yeah that extra bit on the wide end can make a difference. 18-55 would be good for gimbal work and that's all I'd relegate it to. You start getting into zooms you're going to want a grip and it's the reason that made me start looking at the X-H1, I'm legit no regrets on that camera. X-T3 is fine because they made the vertical grip more robust, but it's hand cramp city with the X-T2.

Oct 25, 2017
Did my first real event with the Fuji X-T3 and X-H1 combo and yup, that's dat good shit. The X-H1 stabilizing out the 90 allowing below 1/250th ended up producing some good indoor shots.

Mar 3, 2018
Posting for a friend that doesn't have an account here;

They want to spend $1000~ on a Fuji camera. Can have a fixed lens. They like the sizes of the Fuji and how they look. They are going to be travelling around various cities this year so they want a nice walk around camera they can do street photography with on their travels. What would y'all recommend? He's ok with either used or new.