• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
What if I spend on both? I mean my first plan was to get the 24-105 F4 and the 50mm F1.4 which should cover most needs, no?
Depends on what you photograph. I'm a bit of an "every god damn thing" type. That 24-105 seems like a lot of reach till you start photographing animals for example or start to get into detail shots. Let's just say I didn't expect to put something like the 100-400 or the 200-500 to work like I recently did. Pretty much save some money for an "experimental" lens because you're basically just concentrating on the cliched walk around stuff.
an A7III and the sigma 24-70 plus the 14-24 would be cheaper than the hypotetical 7IV and those lenses while giving better IQ
Exactly. I got the A7RIII (used) and the Sony 135GM for the price of an A7RIV.

Oct 25, 2017
But I don't need the 14-24 focal length and money is not the biggest issue, like I said it's more the fact of the complete spend rather than a few hundreds more or less.
Then put it towards either a good 35, or even splurge on a 100-400. Also what exactly is a "complete spend?" Last time I bought a new camera, which was my first new camera I eventually just realized it was a waste of money. Probably could've gotten an X-H1 with a 16 1.4 for the price of my X-T3. A7III, plus Sigma 24-70, plus whatever prime you like is worth more to the actual image quality than just buying a new body.

Oct 25, 2017
It was my second dream lens, the other was the 24 1.4 but I finally got it last november, now the 135 is my savings goal for my birthday in October. I rented it once for a wedding and fell in love instantly 🤤
It's a great indoor event lens. I pretty much knew I was getting it the moment it got announced, but didn't exactly know when. I just waited until they started showing up on Adorama's used page and then eventually walked in and bought it, paid half cash, half credit, but man, It's just a lens you have to know you want because apparently a lot of people can't work with the focal length.

Oct 25, 2017
If money is remotely a concern, get a Fuji, set up Digital Split Prism, and get some old vintage glass.
Cheap as shit, great quality, and you'll learn faster and have more fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my Nikon 14-30 S lens rental for the week to shoot some art installations. Holy moly this thing is an unreal size/weight combo.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, another big AF update for the Z6/Z7. Will have to wait till after my work trip to update and check out the new Animal Eye AF on my cats, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I am kinda disappointed XT4 didn't get a bigger grip. But I get it because Fuji doesn't wanna rock the boat on their most popular camera. I do expect an XH2 eventually though as Fuji isn't outright denying that. But I think they may wait to just do it better next time around.
I mean, how much longer do they really want to wait though? Wait too long and the A7IV comes out and messes with their pricing, wait too long and the X-T4 probably starts looking nice on the second hand market. Or the specs for it just look dated. Really should've just released the X-H2 before the X-T4, which is a camera that really didn't need to be updated that badly.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I mean, how much longer do they really want to wait though? Wait too long and the A7IV comes out and messes with their pricing, wait too long and the X-T4 probably starts looking nice on the second hand market. Or the specs for it just look dated. Really should've just released the X-H2 before the X-T4, which is a camera that really didn't need to be updated that badly.

Well, it might be they need a new sensor, and right now they are dependant on Sony. So either they have to wait for Sony or release whatever they have been working on. Again these are speculations on my end.

Fuji need to release an XE4 so I can buy that. All their APSC cameras are huge.
See what I mean, everyone's expectations are wildly different. Did you try the XT30? These are pretty small. But actually though, the X100V seems perfect for your tastes.

Not crazy at all. Their 35 1.4 is probably the best (if sharpness is your main objective) 35mm of all time.

Oct 25, 2017
A year and change too late, not getting rid of my GM, also it's not my 135GM, which is the bees knees. Just finally finished paying off my 70-200GM. I'm already completely locked in with it. If you don't already have a 70-200 then get it, if you do then don't bother. This is basically also how I feel with the Sigma 24-70 unless one really likes selling and rebuying the same exact focal length.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
So according to Fuji Rumours

Fuji Rumors

Fuji digital camera news
  • X-T4 rear screen 1.62m dots [X-T3 has 1.04m dots]
  • IBIS
  • NP-W325 battery rated at 2200mAh 16Wh
  • Classic Negative and Bleach Bypass film simulation added.
  • CH mode has 15 fps, and the slots are faster at writing to cards. [X-T3 has 11 fps]
  • Not a touch shutter like X-H1. [the leaf spring shutter release button]
So 15 fps mechanical shutter is pretty nice, I think only the Canon 1DxM3 outclasses it. Plus IBIS. Better battery. Better LCD. Those are pretty all pretty good updates. $1700. As XT3 owner, I don't feel like I need to upgrade right away, but for newcomers, if you wait on deals and can get this for $1500 - $1600, that's pretty good.

Oct 25, 2017
So according to Fuji Rumours

Fuji Rumors

Fuji digital camera news
  • X-T4 rear screen 1.62m dots [X-T3 has 1.04m dots]
  • IBIS
  • NP-W325 battery rated at 2200mAh 16Wh
  • Classic Negative and Bleach Bypass film simulation added.
  • CH mode has 15 fps, and the slots are faster at writing to cards. [X-T3 has 11 fps]
  • Not a touch shutter like X-H1. [the leaf spring shutter release button]
So 15 fps mechanical shutter is pretty nice, I think only the Canon 1DxM3 outclasses it. Plus IBIS. Better battery. Better LCD. Those are pretty all pretty good updates. $1700. As XT3 owner, I don't feel like I need to upgrade right away, but for newcomers, if you wait on deals and can get this for $1500 - $1600, that's pretty good.
Yeah pretty much there's nothing in here that makes me want to spend 1700, plus the grip. With cameras I need to "love it" beyond common sense should allow.
Doesn't really matter, tbh.
Then it's perfect for you basing on their current design trends.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I'm not 40 yet. Photography is an art form as well as method of documentation. Technology is a means to an end to achieve that, technology isn't actually the end.

I drive a Porsche 911 Carerra S, a Tesla Model S is more technically innovative, but all of that goes out the window when you're exiting a mountainside curvy highway turn, and you press hard on the gas, that flat six screams like a banshee and throws you against the seat, everything becomes blurred.

Nothing else really quite compares.

Technology is a means to an end.

Mechanical watches are the same way. That's why people spend 100,000 on a JLC or A Lange und Son when they measure time worse than a $10 Casio. We already know that.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I live in NYC, the car is strictly for pleasure. On non winter weekends. Good thing about NYC is, one hour away you can hit mountains, beaches or just amazing winding highways.

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Anyway sorry to derail, was trying to make a point. Technical masturbation is good, being a tech guy I appreciate it as well (hence I posted the 1DX3 video), but what you can "potentially" do is meaningless compared to what you "actually" do.

Also to be fair, that whole sequence of sports photography....given the tech, what's the photographer doing anyway? I mean yeah use your knowledge to select a proper lens and set exposure, but then you're just holding a button and panning. Where's the creativity?

Oct 25, 2017
Did my most recent park walk with a 8 year old 16mp Nikon D4 dinosaur and loved it. Tech is great but you still need to know how to photograph an image and edit.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new Leica M10 Monochrom's sensor outclasses the Fuji GFX 100.

leicarumors.com

Leica M10 Monochrom sensor measurements and comparisons - Leica Rumors

PhotonsToPhotos published their sensor measurements for the latest Leica M10 Monochrom camera. Here are a few comparisons with other cameras, including the original Monochrom and the Typ 246 version (click for larger view): Test results: Leica M10-P vs. Leica M10 Monochrom side-by-side ISO...

hella impressive