• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you plan on doing with it? Do you have any other cameras?

I have an RX10 III that I could sell, or keep. I do like the range. I was looking at the e-m10 III and the nightscape long exposure stuff looks really cool which is basically the only thing the rx10 iii isn't very good at. If I sold it it seems like I'd be losing some IQ and about 350mm of range. Looking at dpreview studio comparison and lots of samples the rx10 iii seems to surprisingly have better IQ. Looks better than aps-c canon honestly too. Loses to Fuji by a bit but not by much. The Fuji glass is just way too expensive, as is ff Sony.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That seems pretty massive.

M43 will, pixel for pixel, provide generally better image quality than a 1" sensor, but not by that much... I don't think it would be all that much of an upgrade, honestly, considering the cost.

From everything I've looked it it would be a slight IQ downgrade. Sony has done some kind of black magic with 1" sensors. So I think I would keep the rx and use the m43 for walk-around and low light stuff.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't go for it at all, then.

I'm thinking more about is as an actually pocketable walk around and for night cityscapes and some astro. Secondary cam. I would probably grab a 1.7 20mm pancake then and not do the tele or sell it. The other option would be an m100 and 22mm f2.0 but honestly the Canon IQ doesn't seem any better than m43. Iso/noise performance on the olys is actually insanely good given the sensor. The gx85 seems to be worse though with a pansonic sensor instead if Sony so I think of crossed that off. Photo mag au analysis the Oly e-m10 III iso performance actually is just as good as Canon and close to Fuji aps-c. So basically iq won't be as good as rx in the daylight but I would get a better low light secondary cam and retain 600mm.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking more about is as an actually pocketable walk around and for night cityscapes and some astro. Secondary cam. I would probably grab a 1.7 20mm pancake then and not do the tele or sell it. The other option would be an m100 and 22mm f2.0 but honestly the Canon IQ doesn't seem any better than m43. Iso/noise performance on the olys is actually insanely good given the sensor. The gx85 seems to be worse though with a pansonic sensor instead if Sony so I think of crossed that off.

If you don't care much about video, you might want to look into the A6000. You can get it with the kit lens, which is not amazing, but makes it pocketable, for $450 new right now and cheaper if you go refurbished/used. APS-C sized sensor on it that still produces fine images.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't care much about video, you might want to look into the A6000. You can get it with the kit lens, which is not amazing, but makes it pocketable, for $450 new right now and cheaper if you go refurbished/used. APS-C sized sensor on it that still produces fine images.

I had an a6000 that got water damaged and the lens selection is far worse and more expensive, and no touch screen actually does suck. Not really interested in Sony tbh. Sort of waiting on news of a7000 and pricing though. Their 20mm pancake isn't terrible. It's just m43 has tons of very high quality, small, fast primes. And yeah the Sony kit basically ruins any advantage of the sensor it's so bad. I am familiar with Sony menus though as bad as they are on the a6000. Really the only reason I got the rx10 iii was that it was $500 open box. Still no touch screen and same menus, but I do appreciate it's capability. Basically I think a kit that consists of an RX with 600 reach and great daylight IQ plus a smaller walk around good at low light for $1000ish seems like a good set up.

I could go gx9 I think and sell the Sony and grab a 300mm tele and that would get me to 600 equivalent and then with the 20mp m43 sensor IQ should be as good. But switching lenses is more cumbersome than the rx in the daylight.

Last edited:

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of which... I recently bought a camera with a shallower grip than I'm used to, and I think I need to start using a strap. In the past I've carried a sling bag, and that works great on weekends, but I don't want to carry both my work bag and my camera bag on weekdays. Do you guys use straps? What do you like?

Oct 25, 2017
The neck strap pussed out because I had the 50-140 on it for too long. I was recording video with an FS700 and doing BTS candids while an interview was being taped and I left my BR strap at the office like an idiot. Strap came completely undone and send the camera to the floor, luckily it was wood. I'm pretty much ordering a Peak Designs strap when I get paid again.
Me: "Neck strap, you gonna carry that weight?"
Neck strap: NOPE.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of which... I recently bought a camera with a shallower grip than I'm used to, and I think I need to start using a strap. In the past I've carried a sling bag, and that works great on weekends, but I don't want to carry both my work bag and my camera bag on weekdays. Do you guys use straps? What do you like?
JOBY Convertible Neck Strap for DSLR and Mirrorless/CSC Cameras https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G55RGII/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_N0zaCbNXMTGVQ

Been very happy with this one, since it converts into a wrist strap very easily.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I bought the wireless trigger set last year for my first one and then a second standalone unit during Black Friday this year. I've also got two umbrella softboxes. All-in-all, the setup cost me less than $400 and they are really good flashes. Almost instant recycle time with great battery life (and rechargeable)!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I bought the wireless trigger set last year for my first one and then a second standalone unit during Black Friday this year. I've also got two umbrella softboxes. All-in-all, the setup cost me less than $400 and they are really good flashes. Almost instant recycle time with great battery life (and rechargeable)!
Yeah it's a great set up, though I'm really starting to love the AD200 for portrait work. More powerful, faster recycle time and connects seamlessly with the triggers, the whole set up upped my headshot game, definitely money well spent.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fucking sigh

looking very likely that USPS lost the 16/1.4 I sold to partly bankroll the A7RIII. Faaaaantastic.

The cam and M42 > E adapter comes tomorrow though, so at least I can play with the Helios while I figure out this situation and can get the 24-105.

Oct 25, 2017
fucking sigh

looking very likely that USPS lost the 16/1.4 I sold to partly bankroll the A7RIII. Faaaaantastic.

The cam and M42 > E adapter comes tomorrow though, so at least I can play with the Helios while I figure out this situation and can get the 24-105.
This kind of shit is my biggest fear as a buyer. Did you put insurance on it?

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This kind of shit is my biggest fear as a buyer. Did you put insurance on it?
I...think so? I used a 3rd party shipping store for the first time and was having trouble understanding the dude at the counter. The price came out to about every other insured Priority package I've ever sent, so I fucking hope so.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my one lens challenge with the A7RII and that cheap ass 50. Shots as long as they're in focus should be pretty good. AF on that lens is dog meat though. It will definitely hunt when there is no reason for it to hunt. Outside of that I'm amazed at adaptable I'm getting with a camera I've only had for like 2 weeks. There are things ergonomically regarding AF point positioning that get annoying but it could be worse. An A7RIII will definitely be the logical upgrade because I love the image quality off of this sensor.
UPDATE: The AF on this lens is shit and it might not even be sharp enough for portrait work. I'm keeping this until I eventually am able to fill out my lens ecosystem and then it's gone.
Second update: I also really need to learn this cameras minimum shutter speed threshold. 1/100th is not enough.

Last edited:

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, store close to me is already offering deals on the XT-3 and lenses, 100 off and they give you a 2 hour practical course on portrait photography for free. Might just walk in next couple of weeks to check it out.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my one lens challenge with the A7RII and that cheap ass 50. Shots as long as they're in focus should be pretty good. AF on that lens is dog meat though. It will definitely hunt when there is no reason for it to hunt. Outside of that I'm amazed at adaptable I'm getting with a camera I've only had for like 2 weeks. There are things ergonomically regarding AF point positioning that get annoying but it could be worse. An A7RIII will definitely be the logical upgrade because I love the image quality off of this sensor.
UPDATE: The AF on this lens is shit and it might not even be sharp enough for portrait work. I'm keeping this until I eventually am able to fill out my lens ecosystem and then it's gone.
Second update: I also really need to learn this cameras minimum shutter speed threshold. 1/100th is not enough.

I've got some really sharp handheld shots at 35mm and 55mm taken with 1/30 or even 1/15 shutter speed, but I generally tried to keep it above 1/60 at a minimum and preferably over 1/125. Higher resolution sensors are definitely less forgiving.

Oct 25, 2017
I've got some really sharp handheld shots at 35mm and 55mm taken with 1/30 or even 1/15 shutter speed, but I generally tried to keep it above 1/60 at a minimum and preferably over 1/125. Higher resolution sensors are definitely less forgiving.
Breathing randomly moving person or still life? Also does not help that at times I just put it on AF-S because this 50 hunts a lot at times. That back and forth pulsating in the EVF gets fucking annoying.
Hmm, store close to me is already offering deals on the XT-3 and lenses, 100 off and they give you a 2 hour practical course on portrait photography for free. Might just walk in next couple of weeks to check it out.
Yeah do this. I can vouch for both camera systems at this point in time, but nothing teaches you a camera like actually using it.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks and I thought this wasn't even our best shoot, still good though.
Replying here since it seems more appropriate: 0 experience here in portrait photography but you're making me want to learn. My only camera at the moment is a Fujifilm X100F and I have been thinking of finally buying into a system for good, for stuff like portraits.

Oct 25, 2017
Replying here since it seems more appropriate: 0 experience here in portrait photography but you're making me want to learn. My only camera at the moment is a Fujifilm X100F and I have been thinking of finally buying into a system for good, for stuff like portraits.
I'd honestly suggest looking at fashion magazines, which is something I need to start doing at some point as well, but practice helps a lot and I tend to do a good amount of angle experimentation. Some people like it, others think I shoot at weird angles so it depends. Since you seem to like the Fuji system just get one of the X-T cameras and prioritize getting the 23 1.4, 56 1.2 and the 90F2. Also thanks. I have no idea if anything I post can inspire anybody to do anything. My start at this was a bit dank as well so the more you do it the better you'll get and have a better eye for the images.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breathing randomly moving person or still life? Also does not help that at times I just put it on AF-S because this 50 hunts a lot at times. That back and forth pulsating in the EVF gets fucking annoying.

Living, breathing subjects, but definitely not randomly moving ones. Cooperative or otherwise relatively still subjects. Plenty at 1/60, but yeah, it's not a sure bet at all, but you know all of this already!

Oct 25, 2017
Living, breathing subjects, but definitely not randomly moving ones. Cooperative or otherwise relatively still subjects. Plenty at 1/60, but yeah, it's not a sure bet at all, but you know all of this already!
Yeah I know, I think with me moving, bending all over for angles, her moving and me pressing a button for back button focus and then pressing the shutter it might have added a bit too much camera shake.

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017

The lens is $200, not everything can be great about it. I still think for the price it delivers excellent image quality. Great for people new to the system. The 50 1.8 for Nikon Z probably has better AF, but look at the price....

Oct 25, 2017
The lens is $200, not everything can be great about it. I still think for the price it delivers excellent image quality. Great for people new to the system. The 50 1.8 for Nikon Z probably has better AF, but look at the price....
Yeah it's an entry level prime that is really good for the price level. I think as long as I get better at knowing the limitations of this it's fine. I don't see myself keeping it though, sad thing is its barely even worth trading in. I bought this because I was on a tight budget and couldn't really wait a bunch of weeks or month's to afford something better so I got it. I'm not overwhelmed or underwhelmed, I'm just simply whelmed. I think some of my missed shots from yesterday are shutter speed errors and some others are just simply AF misses because of the lens.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god why does this redesign have to be so terrible and where can I easily go to for my good fix on gear advice now. It's almost if message boards stayed the same over the years for a reason. It's slow, ugly, too much useless information and they bombard you with their own ads for the ad free service lol.

Oct 25, 2017

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh thank Jesus the missing lens shipment just updated and is out for delivery. I can start shopping for the 24-105 now.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh thank Jesus the missing lens shipment just updated and is out for delivery. I can start shopping for the 24-105 now.
Excellent. That's a cheaper buy than the lens I pretty much have to get, which is the Zeiss 35. I was talking to someone on Fred Miranda and he told me the Samyang I was looking at tended to crash his camera, it's not certifiable for paid work.

Oct 25, 2017
I recently picked up a vintage Minolta MC Rokkor 50mm f1.4 PG and speedbooster for my G85, since I landed a gig shooting promo videos for a local theater group. That is some sick glass right there! I am definitely going to look into investing in more vintage Minoltas on eBay to make a proper set across the board of focal lengths.

So after a good eight or so months of debating, I decided my next camera, when the time comes of course, will be the Blackmagic Pocket 4K. I'm not really much of a photographer, so I don't really need a Sony A7iii or a Nikon or Fuji, despite all the various neat features and lenses those ecosystems have. If I want to take photos, I'll still have my G85 for that. The Pocket 4K makes the most sense as an upgrade for me, since:
  • I'm already in the M43 ecosystem (sorta, since I have to buy adapters/speedboosters for my vintage glass)
  • I already use the free version of DaVinci Resolve 15 as my editing software and get the free upgrade to the full DaVinci Resolve 15 Studio with the Pocket 4K
  • The Pocket 4K is exclusively a cinema camera first and foremost
  • It's the closest I'm going to get to ARRI Alexa or RED Helium type footage anytime soon and it's at a sub-$1500 price

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently picked up a vintage Minolta MC Rokkor 50mm f1.4 PG and speedbooster for my G85, since I landed a gig shooting promo videos for a local theater group. That is some sick glass right there! I am definitely going to look into investing in more vintage Minoltas on eBay to make a proper set across the board of focal lengths.

So after a good eight or so months of debating, I decided my next camera, when the time comes of course, will be the Blackmagic Pocket 4K. I'm not really much of a photographer, so I don't really need a Sony A7iii or a Nikon or Fuji, despite all the various neat features and lenses those ecosystems have. If I want to take photos, I'll still have my G85 for that. The Pocket 4K makes the most sense as an upgrade for me, since:
  • I'm already in the M43 ecosystem (sorta, since I have to buy adapters/speedboosters for my vintage glass)
  • I already use the free version of DaVinci Resolve 15 as my editing software and get the free upgrade to the full DaVinci Resolve 15 Studio with the Pocket 4K
  • The Pocket 4K is exclusively a cinema camera first and foremost
  • It's the closest I'm going to get to ARRI Alexa or RED Helium type footage anytime soon and it's at a sub-$1500 price

I'm not sure if it will fit your needs, but you could try an Olympus e-m10 III. Uncropped 4k/30/24, variable bit rate codec, hybrid c-af/s-af, and very well stabilized. Could pick one up and try it out, return it if it doesn't suite you. They are $599 with a power zoom lens that is good for video. $499 just the body. You may have some settings missing from your g85 but I don't know if they will be important to you or not.