• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if it will fit your needs, but you could try an Olympus e-m10 III. Uncropped 4k/30/24, variable bit rate codec, hybrid c-af/s-af, and very well stabilized. Could pick one up and try it out, return it if it doesn't suite you. They are $599 with a power zoom lens that is good for video. $499 just the body. You may have some settings missing from your g85 but I don't know if they will be important to you or not.

I mean, I'm sure I'll buy more hybrid type cameras in due time. It's just that I'm a narrative filmmaker first and foremost, as well as making promotional videos for clients. My G85 isn't bad at all, nor are the other options I considered upgrading to previously. Hell, when the time comes for me to buy another hybrid camera, I'll probably go with Fuji or Nikon. Their stuff is stunning. Granted, I've heard plenty of great things about the Oly you mentioned!

It's just that the Blackmagic Pocket 4K makes way too much sense for me as a filmmaker. Once I realized that I was at a point where I was scrambling to think up excuses to justify not buying it over a "prettier" looking camera or a camera that can take better photos, it just kinda sealed the deal. Cinema cameras and hybrid cameras are worlds apart in design and intent of use, and while the Pocket 4K might look like a wonky hybrid camera, it's really just a tiny DSLR-ish shaped Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K with better low light performance.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started looking at the Flickr page for the zeiss 35 1.4...now I really want that damn thing.

It's definitely my favorite lens at the moment. I've got the f/2.8 as well, but really only use that one now when I need my camera to be super compact. Love the image quality and aperture ring from the f/1.4, but it is quite heavy and large (I don't know how it compared to other 35mm f/1.4 lenses, though).

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely my favorite lens at the moment. I've got the f/2.8 as well, but really only use that one now when I need my camera to be super compact. Love the image quality and aperture ring from the f/1.4, but it is quite heavy and large (I don't know how it compared to other 35mm f/1.4 lenses, though).
The Zeiss for the most part is the best all rounder on Sony. The Samyang from what I was told is not suitable for paid work and the Sigma has bad AF and it has locked up a few cameras. Granted the Zeiss has a quality control problem though I'd hope after like 4 years if making them they would be better at making them by now. My God an Ebay seller actually got tired of me asking him about his lens. He honestly did me a damn favor.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe FredMiranda.com can help me with my lens question...
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Just read through that. That eke2k6 guy's posts are making me almost wish I went with the Samyang over the Sony Zeiss.
If he's the guy I'm thinking of he got a pretty good copy, which was the second copy of the guy that sold it to him. Considering that there are a ton of people saying that it's not fit for paid work that tends to resonate with me. Not to mention the guy that sold it to him was in there saying that he found it unreliable. Also the Samyang is a mess on the A9, it locks them up. You paid for a lens that at least is guaranteed to work.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really need to stop buying cameras when it gets dark before I get home every day. I go through this every December .

I spent a good hour last night watching videos on the best way to set up the a7, I think I have a little better handle on it this time around. Right off the bat I know I will miss the manual dials for focus mode, but that's easy enough to get to in the menu. I also suspect this camera will live in C-AF.

That Samyang sounds like a piece of shit. Get the Zeiss or adapt the Canon 1.4.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he's the guy I'm thinking of he got a pretty good copy, which was the second copy of the guy that sold it to him. Considering that there are a ton of people saying that it's not fit for paid work that tends to resonate with me. Not to mention the guy that sold it to him was in there saying that he found it unreliable. Also the Samyang is a mess on the A9, it locks them up. You paid for a lens that at least is guaranteed to work.

Oh, yeah, no regrets at all. I absolutely love the lens and how it renders its images. There is definitely a certain character to it that I find difficult to describe, but really appreciate in my photos. I also really like the smoothness of the out-of-focus areas despite the somewhat oniony bokeh balls. It's a great lens, or at least the copy I got is. AF performs really well on the A9, too. I was just impressed that the Samyang gets seemingly most of the way there for a much, much lower price. The images that guy posted looked good, but yeah, I wouldn't want to deal with those problems.

I really need to stop buying cameras when it gets dark before I get home every day. I go through this every December .

I spent a good hour last night watching videos on the best way to set up the a7, I think I have a little better handle on it this time around. Right off the bat I know I will miss the manual dials for focus mode, but that's easy enough to get to in the menu. I also suspect this camera will live in C-AF.

I think that's a good idea, but just keep in mind that Sony bodies do not open up the aperture to help achieve focus in AF-C. They only do so in AF-S, so if you're at F/5.6 or F/8 or whatever in AF-C, it will have that much less light to keep focus and track the subject. That might be how most mirrorless systems work, but it's something to keep in mind.

Mark Galer recently put put a good video with some tips and suggestions for low light AF.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
but just keep in mind that Sony bodies do not open up the aperture to help achieve focus in AF-C
This is also true with native Sony glass though, right?

And I'm not suggesting adapting the Canon to save money, I'm suggesting you don't cheap out and it's another viable alternative for paid portraiture. Tons of Youtubers use it as their main 35mm on Sony.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I really do like the look of the Zeiss a lot, I just hope they got better at manufacturing it. The whole thing sounds like a Tiger Tank problem from WWII. They made the best tank that they could, the problem was that they couldn't really manufacture the damn things in a consistent and reliable way.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm truly shocked my 50-140 is the last lens to sell, and no one has shown interest in it, despite being the cheapest copy on Fred Miranda.

Oh well, I'm recouped on the body and picking the 24-105 up on Thursday so it can just sit out there forever. Don't need the 100-400 till the spring anyhow.

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody here know if the Sigma 35 Art is optically similar or superior to the 18-35? I'm looking at some of my older shots with it and I might have been too hard on the brand.
I'm truly shocked my 50-140 is the last lens to sell, and no one has shown interest in it, despite being the cheapest copy on Fred Miranda.

Oh well, I'm recouped on the body and picking the 24-105 up on Thursday so it can just sit out there forever. Don't need the 100-400 till the spring anyhow.
I don't think the 50-140 is a very popular lens. It's on Ebay quite often.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, was gonna mention the 24/1.4 as a valid 35/2 option for you, if you were OK using it in Super 35 mode, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having the R variant.

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody in here ever just looked at a Flickr page for a lens and just wonder if anybody posting in it knows what the fuck they are doing? The page for the 35 Art looks bad. I don't know if it's the lens, camera or user, but a lot of them are soft focused in the eye area and it's driving me insane.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody in here ever just looked at a Flickr page for a lens and just wonder if anybody posting in it knows what the fuck they are doing? The page for the 35 Art looks bad. I don't know if it's the lens, camera or user, but a lot of them are soft focused in the eye area and it's driving me insane.
I started to use 500px to see what people do with equipment.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The vast majority of Sony shooters on Flickr seem to be in way over their heads.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea why that even is.
My guess is 1) a lot of folks use APS-C lenses on FF bodies, which tends toward deep depth of field 2) most aren't great at post processing which Sony files need more than other files and 3) Sony cameras are a bit more complex to use and hide some features in menus, leaving some folks to shoot more on auto than on other cameras. It's the only thing I can come up with because it just doesn't make sense otherwise.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Sony cameras are excellent but I'd guess they are slightly more likely to be bought by people without a ton of photography experience since shooting veterans are more likely to be invested in an older system.

Plus, any time something is popular it's going to find its way into the hands of people who have no idea what they're doing, and the Sony cameras are very popular.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Sony cameras are excellent but I'd guess they are slightly more likely to be bought by people without a ton of photography experience since shooting veterans are more likely to be invested in an older system.

Plus, any time something is popular it's going to find its way into the hands of people who have no idea what they're doing, and the Sony cameras are very popular.
I could actually believe this. I was watching one of Jason Vong's older vids and well...him and I do not handle AF the same way at all. If they're relying on the camera to do the AF work for them then it can be a bit of a mess.
My guess is 1) a lot of folks use APS-C lenses on FF bodies, which tends toward deep depth of field 2) most aren't great at post processing which Sony files need more than other files and 3) Sony cameras are a bit more complex to use and hide some features in menus, leaving some folks to shoot more on auto than on other cameras. It's the only thing I can come up with because it just doesn't make sense otherwise.
For the most part I don't think the Sony raws are that hard to work with...granted I'm coming off of a year and a half of Fuji Raw editing so I know how to massage a file at this point.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Brazil is basically Canon land as far as I can see looking at most photographers I know, people on internet forums and YouTubers. Sony is always way to expensive. Nikon gets the second place.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Some people really do lean too hard on orange.

They lean too hard on cranking saturation, and SOOC images usually lean towards orange/yellow by default, because people tend to like warmer images better.

By the way, MKB did a smartphone camera blind shootout, SOOC images only, featuring everything from the latest iPhone and Pixel 3 to the Pocophone. The technically good cameras all fell in the first round. Turns out people really like punchy, bright, saturated images instead of ones that look more natural.

Oct 25, 2017
They lean too hard on cranking saturation, and SOOC images usually lean towards orange/yellow by default, because people tend to like warmer images better.

By the way, MKB did a smartphone camera blind shootout, SOOC images only, featuring everything from the latest iPhone and Pixel 3 to the Pocophone. The technically good cameras all fell in the first round. Turns out people really like punchy, bright, saturated images instead of ones that look more natural.
This is the perfect example of photo editing that distracted the fuck out of me:

He turns her into a bronze statue. If that's what's popular then I honestly want nothing to do with it. I think I've been shooting in the low 5000k or high 4000k temps lately, I've also been dialing back the saturation. I understand warm and don't mind it at times, but it has to fit the mood of the image. I honestly think warm is in because the vast majority of people don't know jack about color grading. Granted this is something I'm still learning as well, but sometimes trends just don't look right.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That shootout also proved how shitty social media is for posting pictures because of the compression and that lighting the face well is 90% of what makes a picture "good".

Oct 25, 2017
Just put a Peak Designs Slide onto my X-T3...why don't these just come bundled with cameras? I'm going to have to buy four more of these, this is going to get fucking expensive, way more comfortable than my Black Rapid straps.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just put a Peak Designs Slide onto my X-T3...why don't these just come bundled with cameras? I'm going to have to buy four more of these, this is going to get fucking expensive, way more comfortable than my Black Rapid straps.
I have one if you want it for cheap, assuming you're talking about the regular slide and not slide lite. I wasn't a fan.

Oct 25, 2017
I have one if you want it for cheap, assuming you're talking about the regular slide and not slide lite. I wasn't a fan.
The one with the cushioned strap? Why didn't you like it? I can already tell it's going to move around a lot less than my cameras do on the BR straps, which I think was the original reason for the first drop. The Camera kept rotating around till the screw lug unscrewed.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one with the cushioned strap? Why didn't you like it? I can already tell it's going to move around a lot less than my cameras do on the BR straps, which I think was the original reason for the first drop. The Camera kept rotating around till the screw lug unscrewed.
Too bulky for how I use my cam, and I don't like that the shoulder pad only bends in one direction without crinkling.

Oct 25, 2017
Too bulky for how I use my cam, and I don't like that the shoulder pad only bends in one direction without crinkling.
Ok. I think I'd need to stress test this more on a shoot, but it seems like a definite improvement. Also since it doubles as a neck strap it should always be on my camera....unless I need to do tripod work, which will actually be a bit of a hassle.

Nov 13, 2017

just setup the quick menu i assume with what you need

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok. I think I'd need to stress test this more on a shoot, but it seems like a definite improvement. Also since it doubles as a neck strap it should always be on my camera....unless I need to do tripod work, which will actually be a bit of a hassle.
If you end up wanting more, let me know, it's lived in a drawer since i picked it up.

Oct 25, 2017
That'll work. I guess you can PM me on how payment will work. Do you have all of the support pieces including the one that goes onto the bottom of the camera?