• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had that luck. I'd say put it towards the 85 1.8, but that's not your focal length. See what Canon lenses work the best on the Sigma first before you get it. Also I can get the Sigma from Greentoe for 850. I'll sit on that for a bit. What I read from Fred Miranda seriously put me off of the Zeiss lens.

850 seems like a damn good deal. I doubt the AF would be any worse than your 50mm. The 135mm Sigma I have works great, but I don't know how much of that is thanks to it being paired with an A9.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I had that luck. I'd say put it towards the 85 1.8, but that's not your focal length. See what Canon lenses work the best on the Sigma first before you get it. Also I can get the Sigma from Greentoe for 850. I'll sit on that for a bit. What I read from Fred Miranda seriously put me off of the Zeiss lens.
I've decided to go Sony for the 100-400. It's a $2000 lens USED so getting ready to sell some kidneys to fund it. About $800 shy at the moment lol.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much do you "really" love that kid?
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
850 seems like a damn good deal. I doubt the AF would be any worse than your 50mm. The 135mm Sigma I have works great, but I don't know how much of that is thanks to it being paired with an A9.
I'm pretty sure it's an impossibility since the AF on that lens is bad regardless of what camera you put it on.
I've decided to go Sony for the 100-400. It's a $2000 lens USED so getting ready to sell some kidneys to fund it. About $800 shy at the moment lol.
Yeah now the work horse lenses I'm quite sure I'm going to pay for. If I do get the 2.8 24-70GM I'll hate myself, but I already know I'm getting the 70-200GM if Tamron doesn't announce an FE G2 lens before then. $800 shy of a lens isn't too bad to be honest.

jongkookie

Oct 25, 2017
They allow in more light, but depending on the speedbooster have the potential to increase more vignetting. So this depends on how much bokeh and low light you need or want.

Lol that doesn't really sound convincing.

I was specifically thinking of this adapter since it states it supports the G7: http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPNFG-m43-BM2

I'll probably do some research on this but honestly the $480 price tag for the adapter just seems fucking ridiculous and really impractical these days since many APS-C bodies can do 4K and all you need is a cheap lens adapter.

I might just end up going with the a5100... I mean I don't really want people to see my ugly face in 4K anyway lmao.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's definitely one I want to pick up someday, but man, it's hard to drop more than $1,500 on a lens for me. I'm settling with the 70-300 G for now, which I like quite a bit, but it would be sweet to get the 100-400 GM with the 1.4x converter someday.

Oct 25, 2017
That's definitely one I want to pick up someday, but man, it's hard to drop more than $1,500 on a lens for me. I'm settling with the 70-300 G for now, which I like quite a bit, but it would be sweet to get the 100-400 GM with the 1.4x converter someday.
Yeah unless it's something I know I'm going to use a lot I have a price limit. I would use the fuck out of a 70-200 2.8 though. That would pretty much replace my X-T3 as my travel head shot camera.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
As a noob who just bought the Tamron 28-75mm, should I even bother opening my 85 1.8? I probably won't be doing much portrait stuff. I'm sure they are fairly different lenses, but this is all gonna be amateur hour anyway.

I bought my camera a couple weeks ago and have been too busy to even turn it on once.

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I do get a lot of what you are saying. I'm buying it because I have invested in a lot of Nikon glass and adapting it to Sonys seems pretty much a non starter. I think they definitely dropped the ball with lack of Eye focus tracking, but I think AF-S is otherwise serviceable. People are not using every shot in a burst sequence, no matter what they say.

I think the high cost is mostly due to the Z mount. It does seem very future proof in comparison to Sony sharing a mount with their APS-C cameras. That said, I do agree that there is a level of arrogance with Nikon that considering they are competing with mature Sony and Fuji lines is underserved.

Ultimately, I'm not a professional. It's the best hybrid option for my current goals, equipment and shooting style. Hopefully the backlash creates a better gen 2 product.

So after giving things alot of thought in terms of actually what I shoot and where I want to take my photography in the next few years, I decided at the last minute to not get the Z7. I'm perfectly fine with stick with APS-C and I realised that video capabilities are actually more important to me than anything else right now.

So with that in mind..I got an XT3. Everyone who was raving about this camera is spot on except for one thing. This thing is hot wet ass in low light. I know it's partly just the EVF but I really don't like shooting with this thing past dusk unless I have a continuous light source/flash or I'm doing a long exposure. Even compared to my Sony A6300 and my D500 I'm not at all happy with results. I've not experimented with faster glass yet (still using the kit) but I have to say, the first night I got it, I was really bummed.

Does anyone know of any good adapters for Nikon glass? I know it's the hardest system to adapt, but I think it's worth a try, especially some of my sigma lenses.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a noob who just bought the Tamron 28-75mm, should I even bother opening my 85 1.8? I probably won't be doing much portrait stuff. I'm sure they are fairly different lenses, but this is all gonna be amateur hour anyway.

I bought my camera a couple weeks ago and have been too busy to even turn it on once.
85 1.8 is primarily a portrait lens, so if you won't use it for that, ditch it.

Oct 25, 2017
So after giving things alot of thought in terms of actually what I shoot and where I want to take my photography in the next few years, I decided at the last minute to not get the Z7. I'm perfectly fine with stick with APS-C and I realised that video capabilities are actually more important to me than anything else right now.

So with that in mind..I got an XT3. Everyone who was raving about this camera is spot on except for one thing. This thing is hot wet ass in low light. I know it's partly just the EVF but I really don't like shooting with this thing past dusk unless I have a continuous light source/flash or I'm doing a long exposure. Even compared to my Sony A6300 and my D500 I'm not at all happy with results. I've not experimented with faster glass yet (still using the kit) but I have to say, the first night I got it, I was really bummed.

Does anyone know of any good adapters for Nikon glass? I know it's the hardest system to adapt, but I think it's worth a try, especially some of my sigma lenses.
I didn't like my X-T2 till I got one of the actually good lenses for it to be honest. The kit lens is pretty much just a lens that allows you to shoot on it when you bring it home. Is it a bad lens? no. Is it the lens that defines the entire ecosystem? No. You have a starting point, the X-T3 is great for video work as long as you know exactly what light situations you're walking into and prepared yourself accordingly. Also you might really want to get yourself accustomed to the camera especially if it's your first mirrorless after being in DSLR territory. The low light AF is pretty serviceable if you're allowing enough light to hit the PDAF sensor. If not, you're going to have problems. I pretty much natural lighted a wedding with the X-T2 and X-T3 to pretty much stress test them. If I can get this shot in a technicolor lighted dining area you can as well.
DSCF1081 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Also what and where are you trying to shoot? If you're in the dark nothing will work. Also you can get an adapter, but don't expect anything with AF. Nikon did not make their lenses easy to adapt or even worth adapting unless you want to manual focus or shoot nothing but portraits. I would know I'm dealing with that transition yourself. Depending on what they are they might not even be worth adapting to be honest...granted you do video work so it's worth shot.

I hope you kept the receipt for that 85. If not sell it on Ebay, they go like hot cakes if they're priced right. Also find the time to turn on the camera. A camera not being a camera is a waste of money.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I have the Best Buy digital receipt. Thank goodness for their extended holiday return policy. Now I'm actually considering a 70-200 or 70-300. I think they're $100 off or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have the Best Buy digital receipt. Thank goodness for their extended holiday return policy. Now I'm actually considering a 70-200 or 70-300. I think they're $100 off or something.
These are also portrait lenses and quite expensive. Which one are you looking at and whats your use case? Considering that you lumped in the 70-300 I'm assuming you're also thinking of the F4 as well. Just buy it used and save the money I'm serious.

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't like my X-T2 till I got one of the actually good lenses for it to be honest. The kit lens is pretty much just a lens that allows you to shoot on it when you bring it home. Is it a bad lens? no. Is it the lens that defines the entire ecosystem? No. You have a starting point, the X-T3 is great for video work as long as you know exactly what light situations you're walking into and prepared yourself accordingly. Also you might really want to get yourself accustomed to the camera especially if it's your first mirrorless after being in DSLR territory. The low light AF is pretty serviceable if you're allowing enough light to hit the PDAF sensor. If not, you're going to have problems. I pretty much natural lighted a wedding with the X-T2 and X-T3 to pretty much stress test them. If I can get this shot in a technicolor lighted dining area you can as well.
DSCF1081 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Also what and where are you trying to shoot? If you're in the dark nothing will work. Also you can get an adapter, but don't expect anything with AF. Nikon did not make their lenses easy to adapt or even worth adapting unless you want to manual focus or shoot nothing but portraits. I would know I'm dealing with that transition yourself. Depending on what they are they might not even be worth adapting to be honest...granted you do video work so it's worth shot.

I hope you kept the receipt for that 85. If not sell it on Ebay, they go like hot cakes if they're priced right. Also find the time to turn on the camera. A camera not being a camera is a waste of money.

I've got a rental place right up the road from me so I'll have to try some of the faster Fuji glass, which I hear is very very very good.

I shoot alot of street photography and events. I think I'm ok with preparing for my shoots, but it's almost a psychological thing. When you pick up the XT-3, it feels like a camera that should be ready for anything, almost like a Swiss army knife. When I pick up my D500 I get more of a blunt hammer feeling. It's stupid I know, but I just expected a bit more.

I figured as much with the Nikon glass. I partly just feel I'm going to write it all as a loss/learning experience. Ultimately, I didn't need as many Lenses as I bought for my Nikon and that really is the only reason I feel any loyalty to the brand. I can't see myself buying much Fuji lenses because they seem Hella overpriced with little 3rd party options, but for the time being renting is a viable option.

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a rental place right up the road from me so I'll have to try some of the faster Fuji glass, which I hear is very very very good.

I shoot alot of street photography and events. I think I'm ok with preparing for my shoots, but it's almost a psychological thing. When you pick up the XT-3, it feels like a camera that should be ready for anything, almost like a Swiss army knife. When I pick up my D500 I get more of a blunt hammer feeling. It's stupid I know, but I just expected a bit more.

I figured as much with the Nikon glass. I partly just feel I'm going to write it all as a loss/learning experience. Ultimately, I didn't need as many Lenses as I bought for my Nikon and that really is the only reason I feel any loyalty to the brand. I can't see myself buying much Fuji lenses because they seem Hella overpriced with little 3rd party options, but for the time being renting is a viable option.
With Fuji glass you buy that shit used, I'm not joking, I don't have one Fuji lens new outside of the 35F2, go on Ebay, figure out what you need and just buy from there from a trusted seller. Also if you're doing events you owe it to yourself to get a speedlite. The Godox TT685F with the 16-55 2.8 on the X-T3 produced this:
DSCF3562 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSCF3572 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Prioritize one of the 23's...I prefer the 23 1.4, get the 56 1.2, 16-55 and maybe if that's your thing the 50-140. The X-T3 is actually just as capable as the D500, but you really need to get comfortable with it. I don't use anything for events until I'm passed the just learning phase with it.
Also for shit and giggles this is the 56, in natural light on the X-T2:
DSCF7909 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Last edited:

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With Fuji glass you buy that shit used, I'm not joking, I don't have one Fuji lens new outside of the 35F2, go on Ebay, figure out what you need and just buy from there from a trusted seller. Also if you're doing events you owe it to yourself to get a speedlite. The Godox TT685F with the 16-55 2.8 on the X-T3 produced this:
DSCF3562 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSCF3572 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Prioritize one of the 23's...I prefer the 23 1.4, get the 56 1.2, 16-55 and maybe if that's your thing the 50-140. The X-T3 is actually just as capable as the D500, but you really need to get comfortable with it. I don't use anything for events until I'm passed the just learning phase with it.
Also for shit and giggles this is the 56, in natural light on the X-T2:
DSCF7909 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Makes alot of sense. The photos do look amazing. Any particular speedlight you recommend? I've not done alot of flash photography but I do own a cheap neewer off-brand that I bought from Amazon. How is the Godox?

Oct 25, 2017
Makes alot of sense. The photos do look amazing. Any particular speedlight you recommend? I've not done alot of flash photography but I do own a cheap neewer off-brand that I bought from Amazon. How is the Godox?
I'm a Godox person. Just get the TT685F and one of the wireless triggers if you ever need to do off camera flash lighting for portraits, pairs really well with a Godox AD200 strobe for on location work. Also get like a $10 dome diffuser for the flash. I used to have a Neewer till it broke from hitting the floor too many times (long hectic shoot). The Neewer didn't have any wireless device that I could put on my camera that allowed me to change flash power from where I was standing, not to mention the Neewer didn't have any built in wireless communication for the flash. Just pay the extra money and get the Godox, much better functionality wise.

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm a Godox person. Just get the TT685F and one of the wireless triggers if you ever need to do off camera flash lighting for portraits, pairs really well with a Godox AD200 strobe for on location work. Also get like a $10 dome diffuser for the flash. I used to have a Neewer till it broke from hitting the floor too many times (long hectic shoot). The Neewer didn't have any wireless device that I could put on my camera that allowed me to change flash power from where I was standing, not to mention the Neewer didn't have any built in wireless communication for the flash. Just pay the extra money and get the Godox, much better functionality wise.

I'll put it on the ever expanding equipment list. Thanks.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking for a way to quickly set my aperture on the Sony to Auto. Obviously the Fuji lenses had aperture rings, and instead of having a mode dial, you were always in some sort of hybrid mode between the exposure triangle dials.

On the Sony, I assume I'd have to jump to TV mode to have aperture default to auto and then adjust my ISO if need be, correct? I guess what I'm getting at is...I'd prefer to live in the 1/2/3 dial custom modes vs the priority modes.

Not even sure you can set aperture to auto in manual mode.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Peak Design makes toilet bags now? Talk about diversification lol. Won't take long before they come out with a wallet is my guess.

Anyway, will order the Slide Lite. The leash is way too small and I feel the normal Slide is a bit too eye-catching compared to the Lite, but I've been reading it's the preferred option on long trips. Right now it's overkill for current gear and the Lite should be fine for normal trips if I'd go Sony. If I do get the Fuji, the Lite seems to even be the perfect choice.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a way to quickly set my aperture on the Sony to Auto. Obviously the Fuji lenses had aperture rings, and instead of having a mode dial, you were always in some sort of hybrid mode between the exposure triangle dials.

On the Sony, I assume I'd have to jump to TV mode to have aperture default to auto and then adjust my ISO if need be, correct? I guess what I'm getting at is...I'd prefer to live in the 1/2/3 dial custom modes vs the priority modes.

Yeah, there are obvious reasons why I wasn't exactly planning on ditching any of my other systems. I can get used to Sony easily, but it's not exactly the most fun thing to shoot on. I think there are custom modes you can set up for that or something.
Peak Design makes toilet bags now? Talk about diversification lol. Won't take long before they come out with a wallet is my guess.

Anyway, will order the Slide Lite. The leash is way too small and I feel the normal Slide is a bit too eye-catching compared to the Lite, but I've been reading it's the preferred option on long trips. Right now it's overkill for current gear and the Lite should be fine for normal trips if I'd go Sony. If I do get the Fuji, the Lite seems to even be the perfect choice.
I think I got the regular Slide because I use 2.8 zooms and my X-T3 is practically cursed at this point and I didn't want it falling again so I probably went overboard.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there are obvious reasons why I wasn't exactly planning on ditching any of my other systems. I can get used to Sony easily, but it's not exactly the most fun thing to shoot on. I think there are custom modes you can set up for that or something.

I think I got the regular Slide because I use 2.8 zooms and my X-T3 is practically cursed at this point and I didn't want it falling again so I probably went overboard.

You do professional events though that can last for more than four hours. The money isn't also an issue to me. Don't you feel it's overkill though when walking around with it on the streets?

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I believe Shutter Priority is the only way to have the camera automatically decide the Aperture.

If you go to S on the dial and configure your shooting settings how you like, you can then save that to the 1/2/3 custom dials by going into Tab 1/Menu 3 (on my A9 at least) and select 1/2 Memory, then choose, for example, "3" and confirm the settings. Then, whenever you switch to 3 on the dial, it will be in Shutter Priority mode and automatically set the aperture to achieve a correct exposure given your shutter and ISO settings.

I don't believe there is any way to go into "ISO Priority" like you can on Fuji by leaving Aperture and Shutter Speed on "A" and specifying only the ISO, although it seems like "P" mode kind of does that if you set the ISO, although I don't really know how "P" mode behaves or what it prioritizes.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's helpful, thanks. I'm afraid the bigger issue is I just don't think there's anyway to get shutter speed or aperture to automatic with the command dials in any mode. You would have to choose one or the other, or perhaps having it in auto mode and then switching the necessary one around would be a possibility, but that is a lot of mode dial fiddling vs the Fuji have 3 dedicated smart dials.

Oct 25, 2017
You do professional events though that can last for more than four hours. The money isn't also an issue to me. Don't you feel it's overkill though when walking around with it on the streets?
I actually have yet to deal with that, since I haven't done any street photography since I got it. Honestly I'll figure it out as time goes on and might pick up a Slide Lite and then transfer the Slide over to the D4 or something.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I actually have yet to deal with that, since I haven't done any street photography since I got it. Honestly I'll figure it out as time goes on and might pick up a Slide Lite and then transfer the Slide over to the D4 or something.

The Anchor system means it doesn't matter what you are using anyway, if you keep the anchors on you can put them on another strap in two seconds. You get two pairs anyway for each strap.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the command dials, you mean the dials on the front and back of the camera that control either shutter speed or aperture, right?

If so, then your fears are correct. There is no "Auto" mode to be found for either of those and you must instead use the mode dial and select "A" or "S" (or 1, 2, 3 that have been set up in advance). "P" mode with ISO set to a specific value (or range of values) seems to throw both Aperture and Shutter speed into auto, but I'm not sure what criteria it uses to adjust one over the other for a correct exposure. I've never used "P" before, but now I'm kind of curious how it works.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
These are also portrait lenses and quite expensive. Which one are you looking at and whats your use case? Considering that you lumped in the 70-300 I'm assuming you're also thinking of the F4 as well. Just buy it used and save the money I'm serious.
The 70-200 is a good versatile lens, is it not? Sports shooting, wildlife, compression...I dunno, I hear good things. The one drawback seems to be sharpness (especially the corners) at 200mm.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the concept of a 70–200 as merely a portrait lens is a bit misguided, it's one of the most versatile zoom lengths you can buy, especially a 2.8. Super heavy though.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Hey there. I would like advice on buying a camera. It's not for me but someone else.

1. What's your budget? Up to £250.
2. What size/form factor do you prefer? Camera-sized? Doesn't need a stupidly big lense. Black, sturdy and substantial.
3. What kinds of subjects will you be shooting? I don't know!
4. What level of photography experience do you have? Everyday.
5. Do you plan on upgrading in the future with lenses and accessories? We'll see how it goes, but I doubt it.

Essentially I'm looking for a decent camera which can take high quality pictures, to give as a gift. A work colleague recommended some Nikon cameras which looked like the sort of thing I'd want to get.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 25, 2017
The 70-200 is a good versatile lens, is it not? Sports shooting, wildlife, compression...I dunno, I hear good things. The one drawback seems to be sharpness (especially the corners) at 200mm.
I'm not saying that's all it's good for since I work my events with this in my bag as a standard. It's pretty much standard equipment for an event photographer unless you really hate zooms.
Yeah, the concept of a 70–200 as merely a portrait lens is a bit misguided, it's one of the most versatile zoom lengths you can buy, especially a 2.8. Super heavy though.
I actually figured he'd be using something for wildlife travel the moment I reread it and mentioned the 70-300, but he didn't read that part as such.
Hey there. I would like advice on buying a camera. It's not for me but someone else.

1. What's your budget? Up to £250.
2. What size/form factor do you prefer? Camera-sized? Doesn't need a stupidly big lense. Black, sturdy and substantial.
3. What kinds of subjects will you be shooting? I don't know!
4. What level of photography experience do you have? Everyday.
5. Do you plan on upgrading in the future with lenses and accessories? We'll see how it goes, but I doubt it.

Essentially I'm looking for a decent camera which can take high quality pictures, to give as a gift. A work colleague recommended some Nikon cameras which looked like the sort of thing I'd want to get.

Thanks in advance!
Up your budget or go hyper used for anything better than the phone he's already carrying. Anybody know if the A6000 is in this budget?

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
IUp your budget or go hyper used for anything better than the phone he's already carrying. Anybody know if the A6000 is in this budget?

My boy, an a6000 is still $600 MSRP, without lens. I think even a used RX100M3 won't reach the £250 treshold. You either start at something £400 or don't bother at all. That entry range market segment is long dead. (PS: Not being condescending, just saying that budget is faar off from the target he has.)

Oct 25, 2017
My boy, an a6000 is still $600 MSRP, without lens. I think even a used RX100M3 won't reach the £250 treshold. You either start at something £400 or don't bother at all. That entry range market segment is long dead. (PS: Not being condescending, just saying that budget is faar off from the target he has.)
Yeah this is actually what I thought. I don't even bother with entry level cameras...never really did. You either have a realistic budget as your jump in point or you just stick with your phone at this point.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It looks like there is a used a6000 with the kit lens on Amazon for £289, but can't speak to the condition of the unit...

Oct 25, 2017
I started with the original XTi and have no regrets, it was a great learning camera.
True enough. I learned on this: https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product-archive/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-p530.html
I must say going from an EVF to an OVF was...interesting to say the least. Now I'm back on EVF's and now I go back and forth without really caring as much. Though I'll always admit that I wasted my D7100 with lack of skill and experience.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have fairly terrible vision so electronic viewfinders have been an absolute godsend. It would be extremely hard to go back to optical.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
In the last couple of month I've been itching to upgrade my camera. I have a Canon EOS 1200D, which I pretty meh, but it did give me good results for what I've done, so I don't know if the upgrade would be worth the money. I did feel limited by the low-light performances at times, but the rest was ok.

Admittedly, I have used my camera much lately, but mostly because I live in a boring place and I don't really feel like taking pictures. But I should be moving soon-ish, to a new city, and I want to get back deep into photography (I also want to get into shooting videos).

I've been eyeing the Sony a6500. It's really expensive. It would literally be the single most expensive thing I've ever bought lol. But since I'm graduating soon I'd see it as a gift to myself. The 6300 it's basically the same camera and is 350€ less, but I feel like I really want the stabilized sensor.

The only modern lens I have is the EF-S 24mm f2.8, my other lenses are a Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.8, and a Helios 58mm f2 (both really old but cool I think!), so I was thinking about buying the Sigma 30mm f1.4 together with the camera.

I'm stumped. What would you guys do?