• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Happy holidays to everybody in this thread. It's been a fun year of camera bantz and I always enjoy the conversations. Stay safe out there, looking forward to seeing what everyone shoots in the new year!

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Offloaded the 50-140 yesterday with a local sale and picked up a Canon 100-400 II today on FM. Very curious to see how well it performs on the MC-11, by all accounts it's quite good.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Happy holidays! Next year is the year I finally buy a MILC! I already decided I'll be buying the kitlens first and will have to sit out with it for the first couple of months. Can't justify having to spend over 4K at once, especially since I need to upgrade my Capture One license.

Oct 25, 2017
Happy holidays! Next year is the year I finally buy a MILC! I already decided I'll be buying the kitlens first and will have to sit out with it for the first couple of months. Can't justify having to spend over 4K at once, especially since I need to upgrade my Capture One license.
Sounds like you settled on the X-T3 because nobody keeps that Sony kit lens thing, it's garbage. I even on a budget when I got the camera refused to even buy a used one and stick it at the other end of my A7RII. I should get the Zeiss 24-70 but even that's not that great. I could've gotten the Tamron 28-75 2.8, but I looked over the metadata from some of my events covered and I used 24mm a lot more than I think. I'll never forget that moment where I had to do groups shots in a hallway. My back was pressed up against a wall with the students at the other side of the hallway to get some plaques that represent their colleges in the shot...28mm would not have been wide enough.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you settled on the X-T3 because nobody keeps that Sony kit lens thing, it's garbage. I even on a budget when I got the camera refused to even buy a used one and stick it at the other end of my A7RII. I should get the Zeiss 24-70 but even that's not that great. I could've gotten the Tamron 28-75 2.8, but I looked over the metadata from some of my events covered and I used 24mm a lot more than I think. I'll never forget that moment where I had to do groups shots in a hallway. My back was pressed up against a wall with the students at the other side of the hallway to get some plaques that represent their colleges in the shot...28mm would not have been wide enough.

I still haven't decided tbh. The Fuji kitlens is quite good yeah, but it's also €400 more, whereas the Sony is garbage but it's only €200 more (even less on some sites as far as I can see). The plan is to replace them as soon as possible though. Like I could wait till July to buy everything or I could buy the body and necessities in April and buy the lens in July when my paycheck gets a bit fatter. It's mostly the extra couple of months to get to know the camera.

The Fuji/Sony decision will come down to having rented them both for a week though. Going to call next week to see if I can rent it in February.

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't decided tbh. The Fuji kitlens is quite good yeah, but it's also €400 more, whereas the Sony is garbage but it's only €200 more (even less on some sites as far as I can see). The plan is to replace them as soon as possible though. Like I could wait till July to buy everything or I could buy the body and necessities in April and buy the lens in July when my paycheck gets a bit fatter. It's mostly the extra couple of months to get to know the camera.

The Fuji/Sony decision will come down to having rented them both for a week though. Going to call next week to see if I can rent it in February.
As a person that has used both systems...and doesn't really want to trade in either both are a good option. Sony glass is damn expensive though, but it also seems to have better light gathering just due to the sensor. I don't really like using the Fuji 2.8s indoors with natural light for example.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
As a person that has used both systems...and doesn't really want to trade in either both are a good option. Sony glass is damn expensive though, but it also seems to have better light gathering just due to the sensor. I don't really like using the Fuji 2.8s indoors with natural light for example.

I have to say the main thing drawing me to the Fuji are the dials (and the slightly better viewfinder), but the lens lineup draws me to Sony more. They have more expensive glass but also way more options for everything. So if the dials aren't my cup of tea or if the Sony controls are good regardless, it's likely going to be Sony. Of course I have never used a professional-grade body so I can't say if the controls are excellent compared to other stuff or if it will actually matter for the photography I will do. Don't think I'll have to do split second event photography.

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say the main thing drawing me to the Fuji are the dials (and the slightly better viewfinder), but the lens lineup draws me to Sony more. They have more expensive glass but also way more options for everything. So if the dials aren't my cup of tea or if the Sony controls are good regardless, it's likely going to be Sony. Of course I have never used a professional-grade body so I can't say if the controls are excellent compared to other stuff or if it will actually matter for the photography I will do. Don't think I'll have to do split second event photography.
Transitioning from Fuji to a second gen Sony body takes some getting used to. Fuji in a way is more user friendly since everything in some fashion has a physical on body control. I hate that I have to menu dive for metering for example, adjust AF points on the A7III is a lot simpler than an A7RII at least. I think Fuji has better primes and Sony has better zooms to be honest, though if you ever need a 1.4 lens for anything then go Sony. And if you've noticed that I use my Sigma 35 Art a good amount then yeah I like fast 35's. For editing Sony technically is easier to edit, though Fuji files aren't as bad as people say they are.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Transitioning from Fuji to a second gen Sony body takes some getting used to. Fuji in a way is more user friendly since everything in some fashion has a physical on body control. I hate that I have to menu dive for metering for example, adjust AF points on the A7III is a lot simpler than an A7RII at least. I think Fuji has better primes and Sony has better zooms to be honest, though if you ever need a 1.4 lens for anything then go Sony. And if you've noticed that I use my Sigma 35 Art a good amount then yeah I like fast 35's. For editing Sony technically is easier to edit, though Fuji files aren't as bad as people say they are.

I held the A7II for three seconds but I keep hearing the A7III is supposed to be way better in ergonomics. And yeah the Fuji primes are lighter and cheaper but Sony has more options in the zooms. One nicety is that the Sony 24-105 has a bit of extra zoom range compared to the Fuji 16-55. Plus Sony has IBIS whereas the 16-55 doesn't have OIS. I don't do video but I do think that extra stop of shutter speed can help in dim situtations, where the Fuji gets even worse due to worse ISO performance. Capture One is supposed to be pretty good with Fuji's pixel layout so don't think that will be a problem.

Also when you have people like ghostemoji taking amazing pics with an A6000, I feel it ultimately doesn't matter that much which camera you own.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Fuji handling is light years ahead of Sony, there is just no getting around that. Fuji is coming out with a 16–80 lens in the near future by the way, which actually gives you a bit more reach than that Sony you were interested in.

And I actually disagree that Sony has better lenses, the vast majority of Fuji lenses are weather sealed well beyond the Sony's and are far smaller and lighter.

The Sony sensor is what pulls it ahead ultimately. There's really no comparing the A73/A7R3 sensor to the XT/XH in terms of light gathering and high ISO performance.

I would not discount the A7 having IBIS either, it's really nice to have when adapting older lenses as well.

Ultimately, when I'm looking to CREATE a photo, not just simply take a snapshot, I'm primarily using a combination of 5 settings:

Metering mode (Spot, evaluative)
Focus mode (AF-S, AF-C, M)
Aperture
Shutter speed
ISO

Fuji puts all of these on a unique physical dial. I have to menu dive for 2 of the 5 on Sony, which slows me down for each shot. Ultimately the question is, can I tolerate that to get a far higher quality shot than I would have on the Fuji.

(I'm excluding the A9 from this convo, which has far more physical controls)

Also given that you're mentioning ergos, why aren't you considering the X-H1 which solves both the ergo and IBIS concerns?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I held the A7II for three seconds but I keep hearing the A7III is supposed to be way better in ergonomics. And yeah the Fuji primes are lighter and cheaper but Sony has more options in the zooms. One nicety is that the Sony 24-105 has a bit of extra zoom range compared to the Fuji 16-55. Plus Sony has IBIS whereas the 16-55 doesn't have OIS. I don't do video but I do think that extra stop of shutter speed can help in dim situtations, where the Fuji gets even worse due to worse ISO performance. Capture One is supposed to be pretty good with Fuji's pixel layout so don't think that will be a problem.

Also when you have people like ghostemoji taking amazing pics with an A6000, I feel it ultimately doesn't matter that much which camera you own.
GhostEmoji's niche is very niche though (not knocking what he does though, he just puts a lot of pre planning into what he photographs), on top of this IBIS doesn't replace ISO and shutter speed for indoor events though. I wouldn't recommend the A7II over the A7III period just due to how bad the AF on that camera is, the A7RII is a much better camera that's only really knocked down some pegs due to ergonomics stupidity. Long story short I can get a good image out of any of the cameras I primarily use my Flickr proves this, just depends on what I'm ultimately in the mood to use. Ease of shooting alone is favored by Fuji, that and I have jmore options. If I'm doing a hardcore indoor event that's going to my Nikon's though. Corporate headshot can be fulfilled by either system and I usually just bring a Fuji because it's light and I'm bringing a bunch of lights any way.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget battery life, the one on the A7iii is stupidly good compared to other mirrorless.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget battery life, the one on the A7iii is stupidly good compared to other mirrorless.
I've been using my A7RII and the battery isn't that bad...I think I could get 500 shots out of it...I think. I think I've done 400 something on it and still haven't killed it. Granted I also have 4 batteries for it now and the battery grip should be here by Thursday. Once you turn off a whole bunch of background settings in the camera to improve the battery life it kind of stops being that big of a thing. I can see it being a problem for video work though, long hikes and wedding work and that's more or less it. It's a really good walk through the park and quick stroll for some street photography battery so far. Granted I was expecting the battery to die within 200-300 shots, which might be the case if you don't put the camera on airplane mode.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nobody keeps the Sony kit lens because it's an f/3.5 ~ 5.6 standard zoom (the Fuji kit lens is basically f/4.2 ~ 6 in full frame equivalence).

I think the Sony's image quality is actually quite good considering the dirt cheap price. You can get it for like $150 gray market. I certainly preferred it to the 24-70 f/4 Zeiss lens that I returned promptly. That thing was not worth the price they were charging for it a couple of years ago.

Still, if price isn't a huge issue, definitely get the Tamron or 24-105.

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody keeps the Sony kit lens because it's an f/3.5 ~ 5.6 standard zoom (the Fuji kit lens is basically f/4.2 ~ 6 in full frame equivalence).

I think the Sony's image quality is actually quite good considering the dirt cheap price. You can get it for like $150 gray market. I certainly preferred it to the 24-70 f/4 Zeiss lens that I returned promptly. That thing was not worth the price they were charging for it a couple of years ago.

Still, if price isn't a huge issue, definitely get the Tamron or 24-105.
Yeah once I figured out what the Fuji kit lens realistically was I was glad I got rid of it, it's a horrible portrait lens for example especially if you do natural light stuff. The Zeiss 24-70 is definitely overpriced. A guy in best buy actually bought the 16-35 and 24-70 Zeiss lenses and I honestly had to fight myself to not recommend the Tamron over the 24-70. I think the fact that he was in a discussion with a seller and I had already yammered off some stuff prior to another customer which I think annoyed him just made me keep my mouth shut.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I have mentioned it already in this thread, but I'm really liking the 24-105, it's a really solidly made zoom lens and the focusing is just incredible speed wise.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I have mentioned it already in this thread, but I'm really liking the 24-105, it's a really solidly made zoom lens and the focusing is just incredible speed wise.
Yeah I saw that post. Since I'm an event photographer I kind of just started looking at the 24-70GM sadly, I use 24mm a lot more than I think. Granted I use that lens with flash mostly but I also occasionally just go natural light at times. I might get whatever FE 70-200 2.8 that Tamron releases though. I don't care if it starts at 75mm for example.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, the entire Z lens lineup made DP Reviews "worst lens of 2018" list. Just confirms my suspicions that they are Cracker Jack toys.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, the entire Z lens lineup made DP Reviews "worst lens of 2018" list. Just confirms my suspicions that they are Cracker Jack toys.
Yeah I just said fuck it and bought an A7RII for a reason. I'd rather just get stuff that's been out for a bit and mostly proven instead of buying Nikon's prototypes. Which sucks because I like how the Z cameras feel, performance wise I don't think they're as capable as the A7RII though, which is sad. The Z 24-70F4 is not the lens I'd want, I like the 35 1.8S, but I heard their 50 isn't that great either. I think Nikon needs like 5 years with this ecosystem till it's viable.

Oct 25, 2017
You liking a Sony lens must mean it's very good lol. But this lens is the one pulling me towards going Sony, I must admit.
Sony lenses aren't bad, some are just a bit on the over priced side. Since getting a Sony I'm starting to think if a person can't get a good image out of one of their cameras it's more their fault than the actual cameras fault.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I think from a pro's view Fuji lenses are pretty good, cheaper, lighter, good optics, rugged so no worrying about being careful about them. They fit the 'tool' part perfectly. As a tech hipster caring for his stuff, I don't really have to worry about them not being as rugged as the Fuji. Most of my electronics are hardly scratched at all.

Also I found the perfect comic for me.
544.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I think from a pro's view Fuji lenses are pretty good, cheaper, lighter, good optics, rugged so no worrying about being careful about them. They fit the 'tool' part perfectly. As a tech hipster caring for his stuff, I don't really have to worry about them not being as rugged as the Fuji. Most of my electronics are hardly scratched at all.

Also I found the perfect comic for me.
544.jpg
Fuji lenses are perfectly fine. I wish they didn't make their zooms 2.8 and went with something faster, but that's about it.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Fuji lenses are perfectly fine. I wish they didn't make their zooms 2.8 and went with something faster, but that's about it.

Yeah even that 16-80 zoom is F4, that's kind of on the ehhh side already. Of course having that extra tele can help when trying to shoot a good portrait when travelling. Actually have no idea how a F6 120mm compares to F4 105 in full frame equivalency.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah even that 16-80 zoom is F4, that's kind of on the ehhh side already. Of course having that extra tele can help when trying to shoot a good portrait when travelling. Actually have no idea how a F6 120mm compares to F4 105 in full frame equivalency.
It's mostly all in the bokeh. It's something I honestly don't really care about till I'm trying to do something indoors. The 2.8 zooms are not good for me regarding indoor events, then I just use either the 1.4 or 1.2 primes that I have.

Oct 25, 2017
If they went faster they wouldn't be able to make smaller and lighter lenses and then people would start wondering why they should go with a crop sensor at all.
I don't care about smaller and lighter as much as I care about sufficient light gathering in an indoor event. Just make a stabilized F2 50-140. I'm pretty sure every event photographer and portrait photographer would buy this thing in droves. To further explain why. The exact reason why I don't use my Fuji's for hardcore indoor events for my job and just use my D4 and D810 is because the 2.8 zooms on my Fuji don't allow me to work at a sufficient iso number. I'm not giving my job 5000 and 6400 iso Fuji files.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
So my uncle is willing to sell me his gfx 50s for super cheap once he gets his gfx 100s.

Hmmm

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I saw someone on Instagram taking a bathroom selfie with a Nikon D3500 and Nikon strap and with the hashtag #canoncamera. Is there an emoji to describe the feeling that comes up with seeing that.

Oct 25, 2017
Got the vertical grip for the A7RII, it feels perfect now. The only thing not making this the perfect camera is the lack on an AF joystick.
I saw someone on Instagram taking a bathroom selfie with a Nikon D3500 and Nikon strap and with the hashtag #canoncamera. Is there an emoji to describe the feeling that comes up with seeing that.
Probably the poo emoji unless there's a dunce cap emoji.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I swapped the straps on my maxxum 5d and a7iii and I'll fight anyone who comes at me for that or morning after mirror selfies. i have $3500 in my hand, so heck yeah I'm going to use it over my two year old pixel - even for throwaway garbage.

ivVmKS8.jpg

i still REALLY love the 24mm gm. i brought it along to a party the night before last instead of my usual tiny samyang 35mm and it's obviously harder to get true candids with forty pounds of glass between you and your subjects but it was so worth it for the environmental portraits of my zany, beautiful friends.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I swapped the straps on my maxxum 5d and a7iii and I'll fight anyone who comes at me for that or morning after mirror selfies. i have $3500 in my hand, so heck yeah I'm going to use it over my two year old pixel - even for throwaway garbage.

ivVmKS8.jpg

i still REALLY love the 24mm gm. i brought it along to a party the night before last instead of my usual tiny samyang 35mm and it's obviously harder to get true candids with forty pounds of glass between you and your subjects but it was so worth it for the environmental portraits of my zany, beautiful friends.

Yeah it's amazing how versatile that lens is.
Only thing I don't really like is sometimes I accidentally moved the aperture ring even though it has some kind of lock.