• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, most social media platforms have shitty engagement rates. Flickr is even worse than IG, and I'm pretty sure even some of those likes are bots.

I have to remind myself of this when I see a larger IG page (50k+ followers) and they might only have 1-2k likes on a post.

Mostly I just like looking at good photography and scouting locations, and IG is great for both.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, most social media platforms have shitty engagement rates. Flickr is even worse than IG, and I'm pretty sure even some of those likes are bots.

I have to remind myself of this when I see a larger IG page (50k+ followers) and they might only have 1-2k likes on a post.

Mostly I just like looking at good photography and scouting locations, and IG is great for both.
IG is a lot of bots and people trying to get you to look at their profiles, it's very weird. I think it's also a lot of scammy marketing firms trying to get you to buy their service to promote you and increase your follower count. I almost fell into this once.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IG is a lot of bots and people trying to get you to look at their profiles, it's very weird. I think it's also a lot of scammy marketing firms trying to get you to buy their service to promote you and increase your follower count. I almost fell into this once.
I was reading this the other day, basically everything on IG is fake. If you can keep your wits about you, there is value in the platform, but trust nobody lol.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/12/influencers-are-faking-brand-deals/578401/

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
How do I fake it to the point where Sony will send me them expensive ass GM lenses for free? I already post better content than some of these YouTubers on my IG.

Get a bunch of bots to follow you to up your follower count and picture likes, get your stuff to show up on high traffic regram profiles ad/or highlights, act like a salesman promoting products. What you actually do with your content is mostly meaningless.

Oct 25, 2017
Get a bunch of bots to follow you to up your follower count and picture likes, get your stuff to show up on high traffic regram profiles ad/or highlights, act like a salesman promoting products. What you actually do with your content is mostly meaningless.
But I just want to be seen as a good photographer and not as a shill. The whole shill thing just sounds like actual work. I'd also be a bad salesman. I'd just be like, "just buy this fucking lens man."

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But I just want to be seen as a good photographer and not as a shill. The whole shill thing just sounds like actual work. I'd also be a bad salesman. I'd just be like, "just buy this fucking lens man."
There are no good photographers. Only shills now.

The gross part is, at the core, you say "I want to be noticed for my artistry" but the whole point of modern social media is to prove your worth to corporations. It's so antithetical to the art. But like Kaiju said, without the base numbers or the appearance of a following, could you realistically pull off an art gallery exhibition, etc? I dunno the answer to that question.

I've always been super tempted to take my best work, create a new IG and just market the shit out of it and see where it goes. I'm extremely savvy when it comes to following the currents on social media, but rarely have the stomach for it.

Oct 25, 2017
There are no good photographers. Only shills now.

The gross part is, at the core, you say "I want to be noticed for my artistry" but the whole point of modern social media is to prove your worth to corporations. It's so antithetical to the art. But like Kaiju said, without the base numbers or the appearance of a following, could you realistically pull off an art gallery exhibition, etc? I dunno the answer to that question.

I've always been super tempted to take my best work, create a new IG and just market the shit out of it and see where it goes. I'm extremely savvy when it comes to following the currents on social media, but rarely have the stomach for it.
Sadly that's true as well. I'm not a known content, I don't put ass in seats so it makes sense. Sadly the good photographers aren't known unless they promote themselves well or they're fucking dead.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Problem with Insta is that the non-bots actively following lots of people are following so many people who post so much they are hardly bothered with checking out or liking most stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Problem with Insta is that the non-bots actively following lots of people are following so many people who post so much they are hardly bothered with checking out or liking most stuff.
I have this exact problem. I actually need to really start unfollowing people because I scroll passed so much junk that I don't care about and can't get to everything.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, I looked at some per-post stats of one the guys I enjoy following on Insta, Rod Trevino. He's at 250k followers, and a typical post gets him 3000 to 7000 likes depending on who is tagged/location/etc. That's a 1%-3% interaction rate, JUST for likes. To my mind, that is TERRIBLE, yet...he is sponsored by Canon (wasn't when he started), has had multiple gallery shows, etc because of his Insta presence.

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, I looked at some per-post stats of one the guys I enjoy following on Insta, Rod Trevino. He's at 250k followers, and a typical post gets him 3000 to 7000 likes depending on who is tagged/location/etc. That's a 1%-3% interaction rate, JUST for likes. To my mind, that is TERRIBLE, yet...he is sponsored by Canon (wasn't when he started), has had multiple gallery shows, etc because of his Insta presence.
That's more that what others get. Once you take bot accounts into consideration it's not too bad.

Nov 13, 2017
no youtube channel to also show more engagement? but yeah the insta display alg seems to be quite a mess if you care about all that

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that really seems to annoy me about any of Jason Vong's early YouTube videos is that he lets the camera do too much for him AF wise. He mostly seems to be in AF Wide area with face detect and Eye AF. The dancing square boxes seems to set off my ADD a bit and you can easily see what happened to cause a particular shot to go out focus. Adjusting AF points is a bitch on the RII but you have to map that out and just deal with it. And please nobody take this as me bagging on him or saying he's untalented, it's just an observation.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I was reading this the other day, basically everything on IG is fake. If you can keep your wits about you, there is value in the platform, but trust nobody lol.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/12/influencers-are-faking-brand-deals/578401/
"Fake it until you make it" IS the name of the game in social media. Having the appearance of peer recognition is about as important for brand building as actually being recognized (and the first, more often than not, leads to the second). It's slimy as fuck, but works.

That's messed up, some black mirror level shit. WTF!

I would never imagine someone faking they are sponsored. I could see people pretending they aren't, but this is in a whole nother level.

Matbtz

Oct 27, 2017
Hello guys, great thread, I just subscribed to this one and the photography one!

I'm thinking about upgrading my gear to change my eos 500D (Rebel T1i). I would prefer to have a smaller camera, so I'm thinking about mirrorless.

Indeed I'm quite happy with my all around lens (canon 15-85mm) but this result in a quite heavy gear. So I'm not taking it with me every time I go out...

I mostly do landscape photography but when I have the occasion I like to do some sport shots. I am still very an amateur in photography and have to practice to raise up my game (500px).

On the other hand, since I do not have a big budget 1500€ top, I wouldn't want to loose too much in range or lens quality...

Indeed right now my gear is eos 500D with :
  • Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 Is USM
  • Canon 70-200mm f/4
  • Canon 50mm f/1. 8
For now I'm leaning towards fujifilm with a Xt2 or Xt20 (maybe soon xt30?).

What do you think? It is worth it to you to sell my gear for a mirrorless and having more limited options in range I guess?

For this kind of budget will I find any good body + lens compared to what I have right now?

The easier way would be to upgrade for a Canon DSLR like the 80D but I would still have a bulky/heavy gear...

Oct 25, 2017
Hello guys, great thread, I just subscribed to this one and the photography one!

I'm thinking about upgrading my gear to change my eos 500D (Rebel T1i). I would prefer to have a smaller camera, so I'm thinking about mirrorless.

Indeed I'm quite happy with my all around lens (canon 15-85mm) but this result in a quite heavy gear. So I'm not taking it with me every time I go out...

I mostly do landscape photography but when I have the occasion I like to do some sport shots. I am still very an amateur in photography and have to practice to raise up my game (500px).

On the other hand, since I do not have a big budget 1500€ top, I wouldn't want to loose too much in range or lens quality...

• Canon 70-200mm f/4
  • Canon 50mm f/1. 8

What do you think? It is worth it to you to sell my gear for a mirrorless and having more limited options in range I guess?

For this kind of budget will I find any good body + lens compared to what I have right now?

The easier way would be to upgrade for a Canon DSLR like the 80D but I would still have a bulky/heavy gear...
I consider the X-T20 a prime only body, I prefer the X-T2 body style it's still a pretty good camera. Check to see what you can find regarding the pricing on the Fuji equivalents for what you have. If you do go Fuji get the grip and some extra batteries.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

• Canon 70-200mm f/4
  • Canon 50mm f/1. 8

You could maybe go with an eos m50 and use the lens adapter and also grab the 20mm f2 for a small fast prime?

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bulky/heavy is relative. The Fuji mirrorless version of your 70-200 is heavier than the Canon.

Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I'd upgrade to the original 6D. You can pick one up in mint condition used for under $700 and you can reuse your 70-200 and 50 and you'll be blown away by the quality compared to what you have now.

The X-T2 is a good option if size is the main factor, pair that with the 35/1.4 for your 50mm equiv walkaround. Just know that any tele on that body will suck from a weight/balance perspective.

Matbtz

Oct 27, 2017
I consider the X-T20 a prime only body, I prefer the X-T2 body style it's still a pretty good camera. Check to see what you can find regarding the pricing on the Fuji equivalents for what you have. If you do go Fuji get the grip and some extra batteries.
Yeah that's what I'm trying to do. For now I guess that I could only go for XT2 + kit lens 18-55mm. I will continue to look into fuji X lenses

You could maybe go with an eos m50 and use the lens adapter and also grab the 20mm f2 for a small fast prime?
I'm considering this option as well since I could keep all my lenses. However I don't know if the M50 is worth the money considering other mirorless or even other canon dslr.

For €1500 you can get a great camera especially if you sell off your gear, too.
Yeah but this budget is really the max I could maybe for for and its already taking into account selling my gear.

Bulky/heavy is relative. The Fuji mirrorless version of your 70-200 is heavier than the Canon.

Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I'd upgrade to the original 6D. You can pick one up in mint condition used for under $700 and you can reuse your 70-200 and 50 and you'll be blown away by the quality compared to what you have now.

The X-T2 is a good option if size is the main factor, pair that with the 35/1.4 for your 50mm equiv walkaround. Just know that any tele on that body will suck from a weight/balance perspective.

Yeah as you say it's quite relative since my 500d is lighter than the XT2... I guess I have to try at least in store to hold the XT2. But upgrading to the original 6D is a good upgrade idea !

Thanks a lot all :)

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
That's messed up, some black mirror level shit. WTF!

I would never imagine someone faking they are sponsored. I could see people pretending they aren't, but this is in a whole nother level.

A photographer I follow recently posted an picture of the x-t3 and said "thank you so much fujifilm" he said they sent it to him. He had maybe 1k followers and barely started shooting a year ago.

I called his bluff and he blocked me

Oct 25, 2017
Last I heard fuji doesn't even give their X-ambassadors free cameras. They loan them for a few weeks but this guy is a no one that mainly does erotica and boring wannabe edging stuff that sucks
I think the X Ambassadors get a bit of a discount, but at the same time they're only allowed to shoot on Fuji cameras so I'll definitely pass on that. I like variety too much to be tied down to one brand at this point.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the whole "you're only allowed to shoot Fuji" thing is so off putting, but maybe that's standard across the industry.

Jonas Rask seems to find a way around it by buying classic Fuji film cameras.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody here sell prints?

Now that I'm dipping further and further into what could be called fine art landscape photography, wouldn't mind having a self service site out there with prints. Seems like most platforms aren't structures with prints in mind though (don't have various photo sizes, paper finishes, etc). Most seem to take a 10-15% commission on the sales, but that doesn't really bother me if I don't have to print/ship myself.

yeah there was a photog that used to be a fuji x that had a good explanation on why he stopped being one.
Funny one of his main complaints was tethering in Capture One, which Fuji added support for shortly after his video.

Nov 13, 2017

Now that I'm dipping further and further into what could be called fine art landscape photography, wouldn't mind having a self service site out there with prints. Seems like most platforms aren't structures with prints in mind though (don't have various photo sizes, paper finishes, etc). Most seem to take a 10-15% commission on the sales, but that doesn't really bother me if I don't have to print/ship myself.

Funny one of his main complaints was tethering in Capture One, which Fuji added support for shortly after his video.

yeah but it did take them forever to add it to be fair

about the prints, no idea, I know smugmug can set up a store for you and handle all that in their pro packages which include website and all that, I am sure squarespace too

Yams

Oct 25, 2017

Ive been thinking about selling prints

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Squarespace in particular doesn't support multiple photo sizes. Smugmug has more support but harder to rid the e-commerce side of their branding, plus their plans are quite expensive.

Nov 13, 2017
Squarespace in particular doesn't support multiple photo sizes. Smugmug has more support but harder to rid the e-commerce side of their branding, plus their plans are quite expensive.
I know their top plan you can get your own domain but other than passing dreams I haven't really looked much into it.
Other places I checked like fine art or places like that seem to be not great for the photog

Oct 25, 2017
I got my three gripped mirrorless's on my work desk...I clearly didn't get the memo that these things are supposed to be small, but I love the look of them.