• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decided I'm going to keep my X100F for at least a while longer. Going to use funds instead to travel around more rather than spend it on gear. I'll be back in Canada in two months and will have a job so I can buy a new camera then rather than a stop gap solution I'm not really enamoured with anyway now.

MAP Camera in Shinjuku had a sale for the Fujifilm XT2 for around $759 USD new. My girlfriend wants a new camera and was looking at that. We kept going back and forth between it and Bic Camera because Bic had it out for you to hold and play with. Because of Japan's New Year celebrations, we go back to MAP to buy it and it's closed lol. Guess we didn't see the holiday hours, oops. Hopefully it's still available tomorrow. Fuji cameras in general are much cheaper in Japan.

Oct 25, 2017
Decided I'm going to keep my X100F for at least a while longer. Going to use funds instead to travel around more rather than spend it on gear. I'll be back in Canada in two months and will have a job so I can buy a new camera then rather than a stop gap solution I'm not really enamoured with anyway now.

MAP Camera in Shinjuku had a sale for the Fujifilm XT2 for around $759 USD new. My girlfriend wants a new camera and was looking at that. We kept going back and forth between it and Bic Camera because Bic had it out for you to hold and play with. Because of Japan's New Year celebrations, we go back to MAP to buy it and it's closed lol. Guess we didn't see the holiday hours, oops. Hopefully it's still available tomorrow. Fuji cameras in general are much cheaper in Japan.
The X-T2 is still a very solid camera, just make sure you guys put the right SD cards into it to prevent the lockups. I might not buy another Fuji camera till the X-H2 personally.

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Watching a portrait tutorial where they are chopping off half of the head is kind of useless to me since my job doesn't even accept shots like this is kind of fucking useless to me. Why is this look even accepted? Who invented it? Also before somebody asks why I'm watching this as a head shot photographer it's for light mod tips and light positioning.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I like the Slide Lite. Looks good, well made, feels pretty sturdy. Outrageously expensive for what it is though to be honest. But rather pay extra and not risk dropping way more expensive gear.

Oct 25, 2017
I like the Slide Lite. Looks good, well made, feels pretty sturdy. Outrageously expensive for what it is though to be honest. But rather pay extra and not risk dropping way more expensive gear.
Me last month: "I'm going to keep using my cheap neckstrap with my X-T3." *CLUNK* Buys a Slide the next week. The Slide Lite is fine on my A7RII.

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Ok...I don't think Sony knows how to design a fucking lens. HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS IS COMPLEX.
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...plicated-sony-fe-70-200mm-f2-8-gm-oss-part-1/
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...wn-of-the-sony-fe-70-200-f2-8-gm-oss-part-ii/
Not to say that the lens is bad, it just doesn't seem laid out in a common sense way. I'm quite sure Tamron does a better job than this. Read some of the comments and it seems like a designed point of failure.

Would you choose that or Canon just rebranding their 70-200 MkII and call it a MkIII? lol

Oct 25, 2017
Would you choose that or Canon just rebranding their 70-200 MkII and call it a MkIII? lol
I'd honestly choose whichever could be reliably machined consistently to be honest. At least with Canon's shit the truth came out so fast that anybody in the know knew to not preorder it. Also I find Canon to be a giant joke that gets by mostly on really good marketing and good glass. Their bodies and sensors at this point are average.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I got GAS bad right now. I got an a7riii in my checkout on b&h, just can't quite pull the trigger.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Ok...I don't think Sony knows how to design a fucking lens. HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS IS COMPLEX.
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...plicated-sony-fe-70-200mm-f2-8-gm-oss-part-1/
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/20...wn-of-the-sony-fe-70-200-f2-8-gm-oss-part-ii/
Not to say that the lens is bad, it just doesn't seem laid out in a common sense way. I'm quite sure Tamron does a better job than this. Read some of the comments and it seems like a designed point of failure.

Why wouldn't they know how to design a lens? Feels like a piece of solid engineering. The biggest complaint seems to be repairability, but modern design objective have been very straining on self re-assembly of engineering pieces in recent times.

Two notes when reading:

First, some confusion about the supersonic motor. They say they feel it moves smoothly. That's pretty normal. A supersonic motor is usually suspended on a low friction bearing (as are all other gearing motors usually). The motor acts by 'vibrating' the metal parts, where air space, albeit small, is crucial to operation. The bearing might very well still feel smooth to human hands (plenty of force), but might be too hard to overcome for the motor torque, be it because of extra friction, wrong air space tolerances, damaged circuits... Can't say for sure if the motor was working fine or not.

Second complaint seems to be about the aluminium spacer. They are confusing some type of material structural integrity. It's not the piece that holds things together, it's the screws all around the ring that must sustain the forces in length but also in bending. These forces then get transmitted to the overall structure, and are taken on by the spacer as a spread out pressure in the thickness of the spacer. The spacer does not undergo any major bending forces whatsoever, it's there to convey forces to the hard elements. That's why it breaks so easily in your hand: the way bending works is that it puts very high forces on the middle of the bend, and it worsens exponentially to the thickness. Like how you can't stretch your ruler but bending it into fifty pieces isn't hard if taking it in the thin direction. Don't forget in normal design there are screws spread out over all the spacer, so that minimises bending forces.

Dropping the whole thing from a big fall can always cause damages, so I can't say if there's a flaw in the design that allows stuff to break easily. But it does look pretty sturdy on all major components.

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't they know how to design a lens? Feels like a piece of solid engineering. The biggest complaint seems to be repairability, but modern design objective have been very straining on self re-assembly of engineering pieces in recent times.

Two notes when reading:

First, some confusion about the supersonic motor. They say they feel it moves smoothly. That's pretty normal. A supersonic motor is usually suspended on a low friction bearing (as are all other gearing motors usually). The motor acts by 'vibrating' the metal parts, where air space, albeit small, is crucial to operation. The bearing might very well still feel smooth to human hands (plenty of force), but might be too hard to overcome for the motor torque, be it because of extra friction, wrong air space tolerances, damaged circuits... Can't say for sure if the motor was working fine or not.

Second complaint seems to be about the aluminium spacer. They are confusing some type of material structural integrity. It's not the piece that holds things together, it's the screws all around the ring that must sustain the forces in length but also in bending. These forces then get transmitted to the overall structure, and are taken on by the spacer as a spread out pressure in the thickness of the spacer. The spacer does not undergo any major bending forces whatsoever, it's there to convey forces to the hard elements. That's why it breaks so easily in your hand: the way bending works is that it puts very high forces on the middle of the bend, and it worsens exponentially to the thickness. Like how you can't stretch your ruler but bending it into fifty pieces isn't hard if taking it in the thin direction. Don't forget in normal design there are screws spread out over all the spacer, so that minimises bending forces.

Dropping the whole thing from a big fall can always cause damages, so I can't say if there's a flaw in the design that allows stuff to break easily. But it does look pretty sturdy on all major components.
Yeah it's not that it's not made well, but at the same time if you take into account that Sony lenses have a rather huge copy variance problem (which might be overblown for all I know) it seems like they aren't easy to mass produce consistently. The engineering itself seems to be quite sound, but it seems like when they designed them they didn't design them to be produced with any sort of reliable consistency, which doesn't really seem to be as much of a problem for most of the other lens manufacturers. Though I'll admit the whole Sony imaging is a bit on the weird side. Sometimes you'll see an image that pops, other times it's just flat looking. Considering the fact that I'm invested in E mount these are more just observations than real anti Sony fan boy bitching.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the Sony lenses I've used when I had a6000 had some decent optics but man, really dislike their focus-by-wire. Focus-by-wire in general is awful but Sony's are a special kind of bad.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Sony, overall, has a tendency to over-engineer their stuff, so it doesn't really surprise me that their lenses follow the same ethos. While that has some great upsides (I mean, have you seen how organized and, frankly, beautiful the PS4 Slim main logic board is?), sometimes stuff just is more complex than it really needs to be.

Oct 25, 2017
All the Sony lenses I've used when I had a6000 had some decent optics but man, really dislike their focus-by-wire. Focus-by-wire in general is awful but Sony's are a special kind of bad.
I don't mind the FBW on the 85 so far and I have had to do it occasionally, feels smoother on the Sigma Art 35 though since it's not an FBW lens. I think I'm just worried about some of the Sony stuff because they're are way more expensive than what Canon and Nikon have while only being marginally better at best.
Sony, overall, has a tendency to over-engineer their stuff, so it doesn't really surprise me that their lenses follow the same ethos. While that has some great upsides (I mean, have you seen how organized and, frankly, beautiful the PS4 Slim main logic board is?), sometimes stuff just is more complex than it really needs to be.
This is pretty much exactly what I meant in my post. It's not like it's not well made, but it just seems like it's way overly complex. When you're doing stuff that a guy that tears down lenses on the regular hasn't seen, then it becomes a question of did it really need to be done.

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
I got GAS bad right now. I got an a7riii in my checkout on b&h, just can't quite pull the trigger.

Try to get a used one for a good price. Or hold out for the rumoured 60mp Mark IV. Could be a while though, the S seems to be the next to get an update.

Talking about GAS, the 50R is still tempting...

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's not that it's not made well, but at the same time if you take into account that Sony lenses have a rather huge copy variance problem (which might be overblown for all I know) it seems like they aren't easy to mass produce consistently. The engineering itself seems to be quite sound, but it seems like when they designed them they didn't design them to be produced with any sort of reliable consistency, which doesn't really seem to be as much of a problem for most of the other lens manufacturers. Though I'll admit the whole Sony imaging is a bit on the weird side. Sometimes you'll see an image that pops, other times it's just flat looking. Considering the fact that I'm invested in E mount these are more just observations than real anti Sony fan boy bitching.

I know what you're saying, but maybe they thought this was necessary to meet their optical design? If you want to better the competition on performance you're going to have to pull weird tricks out of your sleeve. Whether this one was the way to do it I can't tell though.

Sony is still a traditional electronics engineering company, having been active in like every electronic device field imagineable. They have lots of experienced people sitting around the company and also lots of gathered information that can be shared. Should be no suprise that their stuff get overdesigned to the max, it was their whole company culture making them big.

I can't see focus-by-wire ever going away. I feel companies will just have to provide better haptic feedback for their implementation.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see focus-by-wire ever going away. I feel companies will just have to provide better haptic feedback for their implementation.
I actually don't mind Fuji's focus by wire on the 35f2, feels pretty much right to me, except the part where it doesn't stop at the end of the focusing range, which really fucks with me haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing is with some of what they're doing they're more equaling their competition and not beating them. It's kind of tricky I guess, I think it's only really that much of a problem if you're an MTF chart measurebator, which I'm not I just like to see where exactly the added cost is going into. Sometimes I'd rather have something that consistently works across the frame and across 5 lenses over something where they went for 102% that's only realistically replicated across 5/15 lenses. Did some checking and the 400 2.8 from Sony is an excellent lens that better than Canon's so that's actually a pretty good benchmark.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That wouldn't be until the end of the year probably?

That price will probably be yuge
I would think the A7RIV is next year, which would be the best time to buy the A7RIII. I would not want to deal with the RAM headaches of processing 60mp raws after an event for example. Granted if the A7RIII starts hitting the $1900 range I'll be really tempted...also could trade the A7RII in as well.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
ZhMeZVI.png

lol people are hilarious

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017

I buy almost all of my lenses from MAP on eBay. Somehow the thing arrives in just 2 or 3 days via EMS. Always perfectly packaged and they take so many detailed pics. What a good place

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I buy almost all of my lenses from MAP on eBay. Somehow the thing arrives in just 2 or 3 days via EMS. Always perfectly packaged and they take so many detailed pics. What a good place
Yeah, they are a super dope store. I stop by a few times a week just to play with the cameras they have out lol. Their used goods are really quality but I've noticed that's most Japanese stores that sell used electronics.

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting more and more interested in photography recently as I've been taking a lot of underwater pictures and videos with my compact when diving. Went down a BIG youtube rabbit hole of photography videos over the Christmas break which has left me primed to buy a nice camera and get in to the land based side of it this year.

After a lot of research I think the Panasonic G9 will be best for my needs/budget. However, my one worry is that with Panasonic starting to release full frame cameras, in 5 years or so when I may wish to upgrade they won't be making m43 bodies anymore and the lens resale value will have plummeted. I'm not familiar with the industry at all so I don't know if this is a legitimate concern or if I've put too much stock in the "m43 is dead" sentiment?

Last edited:

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting more and more interested in photography recently as I've been taking a lot of underwater pictures and videos with my compact when diving. Went down a BIG youtube rabbit hole of photography videos over the Christmas break which has left me primed to buy a nice camera and get in to the land based side of it this year.

After a lot of research I think the Panasonic G9 will be best for my needs/budget. However, my one worry is that with Panasonic starting to release full frame cameras, 5 years or so when I may wish to upgrade they won't be making m43 bodies anymore and the lens resale value will have plummeted. I'm not familiar with the industry at all so I don't know if this is a legitimate concern or if I've put too much stock in the "m43 is dead" sentiment?

Pretty sure Olympus will be riding on MFT for a long time. By the time everything is truly dead your body and lenses would have become obselete anyway, and you'd have to invest in a whole new ecosystem I guess. As long as the camera you buy today will be one that you will like for the next 5 years, I wouldn't worry too much. A lot can happen in the camera business and new stuff will always come out. I think it's almost impossible to future proof your gear for 10+ years. Like how MILC lenses will slowly start to replace the DSLR lenses of Canon/Nikon in the next coming years.

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this hilarious? They still want to pay for the pictures taken. You can't take pictures of your own wedding even if you know photography. I guess it's unusual, but wanting to edit the pictures yourself doesn't seem that outrageous I guess?
Yeah, they wanna pay for the work they get, they just wanna get... Less work. It's unusual but far from hilarious "for exposure" shit.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

After a lot of research I think the Panasonic G9 will be best for my needs/budget. However, my one worry is that with Panasonic starting to release full frame cameras, in 5 years or so when I may wish to upgrade they won't be making m43 bodies anymore and the lens resale value will have plummeted. I'm not familiar with the industry at all so I don't know if this is a legitimate concern or if I've put too much stock in the "m43 is dead" sentiment?

What's nice is both Olympus and panny lenses are interchangeable. Olympus is coming out with a new high end pro sports cam like this month, and they should have a pen-f ii and e-m5 III coming out too. The thing about m43 too is that pretty much every lens you could want already exists. Imo there aren't really any limitations either with the new 20mp sensors, unless you need to do very very low light indoor work at like 6400+ iso. Or if you need to make like 6 foot prints.

If you do go m43 right now I would honestly recommend the em1 ii over the g9 though. Same specs pretty much but better Ibis on the Olympus, and the body is significantly more compact. Also Olympus has amazing long exposure features that every other camera on the market frankly can't match. It's stupid easy to get great long exposure shots with the live comp features.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Spent the last few days in a house with friends just shooting pictures of a close friend's wedding. My buddy may have sold me on the a7iii. The auto focus and the way the sensor handles low light...

my god it's such an improvement over the a7ii.

ZhMeZVI.png

lol people are hilarious

Shit if people offered this and gave me $100/h and I would do it. Not having to editing would be great.

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
What's nice is both Olympus and panny lenses are interchangeable. Olympus is coming out with a new high end pro sports cam like this month, and they should have a pen-f ii and e-m5 III coming out too. The thing about m43 too is that pretty much every lens you could want already exists. Imo there aren't really any limitations either with the new 20mp sensors, unless you need to do very very low light indoor work at like 6400+ iso. Or if you need to make like 6 foot prints.

If you do go m43 right now I would honestly recommend the em1 ii over the g9 though. Same specs pretty much but better Ibis on the Olympus, and the body is significantly more compact. Also Olympus has amazing long exposure features that every other camera on the market frankly can't match. It's stupid easy to get great long exposure shots with the live comp features.
Yeah, I've been agonising over whether to go with that Olympus or the Panasonic. I finally settled on the G9 because of the better video features and I can get it at a slightly lower price but now you are giving me second thoughts haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've been agonising over whether to go with that Olympus or the Panasonic. I finally settled on the G9 because of the better video features and I can get it at a slightly lower price but now you are giving me second thoughts haha.
Get the E-M1 II used or after the replacement comes out to save some money.
Spent the last few days in a house with friends just shooting pictures of a close friend's wedding. My buddy may have sold me on the a7iii. The auto focus and the way the sensor handles low light...

my god it's such an improvement over the a7ii.
The A7II is a camera that I'm glad I didn't get to be honest. Minus the ergonomics choices on the A7RII I'm really enjoying it. I've probably shot some of my best stuff on that camera.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you can wait a couple weeks or so I'd see if Olympus announces a pen-f ii or e-m5 III at their event later this month. If they put pdaf in them they might be the way to go. Should also have uncropped 4k video like the em10 iii.

Pen-f ii for unmatched monochrome, e-m5 iii if you prefer slightly better handling.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Get the E-M1 II used or after the replacement comes out to save some money.

The A7II is a camera that I'm glad I didn't get to be honest. Minus the ergonomics choices on the A7RII I'm really enjoying it. I've probably shot some of my best stuff on that camera.

I might pick up the a7rii since it's cheap right now

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Why is this hilarious? They still want to pay for the pictures taken. You can't take pictures of your own wedding even if you know photography. I guess it's unusual, but wanting to edit the pictures yourself doesn't seem that outrageous I guess?
Yeah, they wanna pay for the work they get, they just wanna get... Less work. It's unusual but far from hilarious "for exposure" shit.
Shit if people offered this and gave me $100/h and I would do it. Not having to editing would be great.
Ahhh i'm guessing no one has ever slapped a horrible filter/edit on your photos. And "on a budget" is always keyword for "you're barely going to get paid anything"

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh i'm guessing no one has ever slapped a horrible filter/edit on your photos. And "on a budget" is always keyword for "you're barely going to get paid anything"

Those are all assumptions that are not contained in the Facebook post. "On a budget" can mean lots of things. If they want .raws they surely will own a real editing program for sure. Maybe they want to spend $1000 on pics, but want to save the other $1000?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I'm an art director and I've done enough freelance design work in my life to say that, whenever the words "on a budget" and "pay an hourly rate" are mentioned together, that means the "client" won't value your work nearly enough to be worth it - and they'll try to rush things so they can pay as little as possible. People accepting this kind of stuff is why creative work is usually valued like shit, unless you're a rockstar creative.

And, personally, asking for raw files is the same as asking me for my open files. Not gonna happen. I'm not working on shit so someone can butcher it later. You get the final product or nothing at all. Yeah, it's money, but it's also my time, and that's time I could spend doing work I'd actually be proud of later. Have some dignity.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm an art director and I've done enough freelance design work in my life to say that, whenever the words "on a budget" and "pay an hourly rate" are mentioned together, that means the "client" won't value your work nearly enough to be worth it - and they'll try to rush things so they can pay as little as possible. People accepting this kind of stuff is why creative work is usually valued like shit, unless you're a rockstar creative.

And, personally, asking for raw files is the same as asking me for my open files. Not gonna happen. I'm not working on shit so someone can butcher it later. You get the final product or nothing at all. Yeah, it's money, but it's also my time, and that's time I could spend doing work I'd actually be proud of later. Have some dignity.

If someone would pay extra on top of editing work to have access to the original raws, you'd still say no? I mean it's not like they couldn't butcher the jpegs if they wanted to. Feels to me like that'd be wanting too much in control of your own work while nobody has to claim or see that the editing was your work.

I can't say no to the company for them not getting the cad drawings when they'd pay me for designing stuff :P.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
If someone would pay extra on top of editing work to have access to the original raws, you'd still say no?

Yes, most definitely. It has happened, even!

I mean it's not like they couldn't butcher the jpegs if they wanted to.

They can, but they're much less likely to if I give them something edited properly and that they gave their OK on. Doubly so because they paid for the editing. You know, the normal workflow.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, most definitely. It has happened, even!

They can, but they're much less likely to if I give them something edited properly and that they gave their OK on. Doubly so because they paid for the editing. You know, the normal workflow.

I can understand your reasoning but at the same I'd understand someone else wanting to have the raws too, especially if it's for something like your own wedding. Not really to immediately edit and show them off yourself, but it'd be nice to own the absolute highest quality pictures of that special day to you.