• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Hi! Happy new year to everyone, I have a question, if I only going to use it for video on an A7iii would the APS-C Sigma 16mm 1.4 be a good and cheap alternative to the 24mm GM? I am on a budget here and I want something for Vlogging

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Hi! Happy new year to everyone, I have a question, if I only going to use it for video on an A7iii would the APS-C Sigma 16mm 1.4 be a good and cheap alternative to the 24mm GM? I am on a budget here and I want something for Vlogging

That's gonna be cropped, one of the great thing about the a7iii is there's no crop in 4k.

So yeah the FE 28/2 would be the alternative. Stupidly small and light too.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Browsing r/photography and I cry inside every time I see someone call the X-Pro 2 a "rangefinder".

Pls, stop

Burekman

Oct 27, 2017

Take a look at the Samyang/Rokinon AF 24mm f2.8. It's very cheap and stupidly small (basically a pancake) full frame lens. It's only real downside is strong vignetting. And it's an f2.8 prime but at its pricepoint, you can't really expect anything faster.

Make sure to check some reviews for video AF performance, as I barely use it for video so can't really comment on that.

Oct 25, 2017
Either that or they know there is about to be a major announcement as is rumored...
A7SIII is coming eventually, not to mention the Panasonic S1 stuff, I think Fuji is going to find that it's going to be in a very overcrowded market and has to adjust their prices accordingly. I think I said a few months ago that at some point some companies might bow out. I don't know who, but it would not surprise me.

Oct 25, 2017
The h1 seems to be 900 dollars off.. So that's quite a drop that most people saw coming
That shit dropped like a fucking stone, god damn. I don't even know if it's worth trading in my X-T2 for it, but who knows. I might just play the "How low can it go" waiting game. I don't need it and I'm currently just giving E-mount my priority dollars.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still very skeptical of their contrast detect autofocus-only system, but I'm very curious to see how these more unique features pan out.
BAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAHAHAHA
Non starter.

In other news ordered the Laowa flash, so I should be back to bugs soon since it won't take 3lbs of flash gear to get usable results anymore.

Browsing r/photography and I cry inside every time I see someone call the X-Pro 2 a "rangefinder".

Pls, stop
I'd say its got more in common with a rangefinder than it doesn't, in terms of real world usage. No, it technically doesn't have the same focus aid, but the sensibilities are the same anymore it for for the same feel.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say its got more in common with a rangefinder than it doesn't, in terms of real world usage. No, it technically doesn't have the same focus aid, but the sensibilities are the same anymore it for for the same feel.
There is no actual rangefinder mechanism in an X-Pro camera so no, the sensibilities certainly aren't the same. The rangefinder patch in rangefinder cameras isn't just a focus aid it's a small mirror inside the camera that communicates distance between the lens and viewfinder.

X-Pro Camera may have an OVF and look similiar but that's where it stops. The experience of using them is totally different. An X-Pro camera is more similar to a DSLR in use than a rangefinder camera.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAHAHAHA
Non starter.

In other news ordered the Laowa flash, so I should be back to bugs soon since it won't take 3lbs of flash gear to get usable results anymore.

Panasonic's DFD AF is actually excellent, but ok. It holds up well to the pdaf system in the e-m1 ii.

Here on dpreview they go over how the dfd af performs on the G9.

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dc-g9/6

Oct 25, 2017
Panasonic's DFD AF is actually excellent, but ok. It holds up well to the pdaf system in the e-m1 ii.

Here on dpreview they go over how the dfd af performs on the G9.

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dc-g9/6
Did some searching on it; it seems they are more or less brute-forcing PDAF functions onto a CDAF backbone with metric fuck tons of data on specific lenses... That is to say, it will only *ever* work with lenses that Panasonic either specifically produces or measures themselves, so I don't see it working with many 3rd party lenses. (To be fair, officially, no 3rd parties should be using Sony's PDAF but need to be reverse engineered IIRC)

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did some searching on it; it seems they are more or less brute-forcing PDAF functions onto a CDAF backbone with metric fuck tons of data on specific lenses... That is to say, it will only *ever* work with lenses that Panasonic either specifically produces or measures themselves, so I don't see it working with many 3rd party lenses. (To be fair, officially, no 3rd parties should be using Sony's PDAF but need to be reverse engineered IIRC)

Panny lenses in the m43 space are pretty cheap, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If they are fully transitioning to ff I would also expect them to make a fuck ton of lenses.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Just grabbed a silver X-T3 with the 23mm f/2. Tactile feedback is so good. Flying off to Thailand next week, hopefully will be able to utilize it properly. The X100f would have been lightter and more compact but this just felt better and more responsive. Plus I'd assume the high ISO imaging capability is better on the latest camera.

Oct 25, 2017
Just grabbed a silver X-T3 with the 23mm f/2. Tactile feedback is so good. Flying off to Thailand next week, hopefully will be able to utilize it properly. The X100f would have been lightter and more compact but this just felt better and more responsive. Plus I'd assume the high ISO imaging capability is better on the latest camera.
High iso is probably slightly worse on the X-T3, but the AF is better than what's on the X100F.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
High iso is probably slightly worse on the X-T3, but the AF is better than what's on the X100F.
Yeah the AF is amazing. ISO I'll figure it out but if I'm getting usable shots at 3200 which seems to be the case, I am good. What setting do you keep the dynamic range? Have noticed any benefits in going above 100?

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I find myself on DPReview and the site loads that useless ass 'threaded view' I want to die. Why the fucking would I want to sit here and click every reply just to see if it's even relevant it useful?

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I find myself on DPReview and the site loads that useless ass 'threaded view' I want to die. Why the fucking would I want to sit here and click every reply just to see if it's even relevant it useful?
Click to see my reply.
I don't get it either. What does it even add? They desperately need a new site front end.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
lord help my wallet i just bought the manual focus samyang 14mm f/2.8 and the 100-400mm gm oss in the same week

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Finally purchased my first Peak Design product. Can't wait to get my slidelite strap.

I got it last week! It's really well made, but on the other hand... it's just a strap. Can't do anything wrong with it though! I also like the Anchor system. Although I now feel the Lite may be too thin when I'd do a full day with a heavy lens + MILC combo.

Oct 25, 2017
I got it last week! It's really well made, but on the other hand... it's just a strap. Can't do anything wrong with it though! I also like the Anchor system. Although I now feel the Lite may be too thin when I'd do a full day with a heavy lens + MILC combo.
There is always the regular Slide, strap is pretty thick.
lord help my wallet i just bought the manual focus samyang 14mm f/2.8 and the 100-400mm gm oss in the same week
I want the 70-200GM so jelly.

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
Man, filter systems are expensive. Looking at the NISI 100mm starter set. But I think in the long term it pays off, it can be used for many different lenses.