• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I had the 35/2.8 and was wholly unimpressed with it, and it was STILL over $500 used.
The 135 Batis? Yeah I can imagine, In theory it's the same DOF as the Fuji 90F2, but from what I've seen it doesn't have the same rendering. I don't know how much of that is optics or just the photographer processing. I had no urge to get the 35 2.8 though, that wasn't even an option.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had the 35/2.8 and was wholly unimpressed with it, and it was STILL over $500 used.

Really? I love the 35 f/2.8. Still my most used lens due to the compact nature.

My third camera (after an a7iii and a 35mm) for a wedding shoot last month was a fourteen year old 6MP Maxxum 5D and there are usable shots from it. Getting the photo at all is like 80% of what's important, lol.

I don't know why people always post stuff like this. Getting the shot at all is 100% of what's important and that just goes without saying. There's nothing to critique or improve without getting the shot in the first place.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just like to feel like I'm getting my money's worth. When Canon can give you a fantastic 40/2.8 pancake that renders miles better than the Sonnar 35 at 1/6th the price...

I can't really tell the difference in terms of image quality or resolving power between the two on a 24 MP sensor, but both look fantastic to me. It's hard to argue with the incredible value that the Canon 40 f/2.8 presents. It's kind of crazy and totally usable (and still small!) with the MC-11 adapter on Sony. I wish they would make a native version of it so I could get better AF performance and coverage, though. The recently released Zeiss Batis 40mm f/2 seems like a real stinker from what I can tell.

Oct 25, 2017
A 40mm anything is something I'm not passionate about. I bought a 35 for a reason and have no real urge to get closer to 50, so that's a purchase I'm not even worried about. Now a really good 135 on the other hand is something I can't wait to try to find the funds for.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A 40mm anything is something I'm not passionate about. I bought a 35 for a reason and have no real urge to get closer to 50, so that's a purchase I'm not even worried about. Now a really good 135 on the other hand is something I can't wait to try to find the funds for.
Wait until Sony announces their 135/1.8 G

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's supposed to get 2 major updates to improve some things like EyeAF.

That's good. I saw an in-depth review that stated the eye-AF was pretty much busted (like 10 ~ 20% hit rate). Even if they get the AF stuff in order, it's going to be a bit of a hard sell at that size and weight. I can't help but compare it to the Canon f/2.8 version and man, it seems insane that the size and weight would be so different for just a 0.8 difference in aperture.

Wait until Sony announces their 135/1.8 G

I was tempted to wait for it, but ended up going with the Sigma late last year. It's easily my biggest and heaviest lens, though!

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Thanks and is this compatible when if I get a new camera ? Amazon says up to a6500. I guess this would be my multi use lens.

This is a lens for all Sony APS-C sensor size cameras with an E-Mount, so just not for the full-frame models like A7 or A9. As long you stick to the four digit model numbers (A6300/A6400/A6500 or the rumoured A6700 / A7000), you're fine.
It's a very nice lens. Pretty sharp yet not too heavy and the mechanical quality is good for its price. F1.4 means you can use it in darker situations like indoors at your cosplay events.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, they DID reuse the 6D2 sensor, lmao. The AF-On button is still in the trash position of the R as well, but it gains a mode dial where the top screen is on the R, which is actually infinitely more useful compared to the awful digital mode selection dial on the R.

The one thing I will say is...if anyone was actually considering a 6D2, this is clearly the way to go instead, but please don't buy this camera.

• 26.2 Million Pixels Full Size Sensor
  • Dual pixel CMOS AF
  • DIGIC 8
  • 5 fps
  • ISO sensitivity: 100 to 40000 (equivalent to extended ISO: 50, 51200, 102400)
  • OLED EVF
  • 3″ type touch panel variable angle LCD
  • Dual Sensing IS
  • DLO in camera, RAW development in camera, C-RAW compatible
  • Size: 132.5 x 85.0 x 70.0 mm
  • Weight: Approximately 440 g (body only), about 485 g (including batteries?)

1769223.jpg

1769224.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, they DID reuse the 6D2 sensor, lmao. The AF-On button is still in the trash position of the R as well, but it gains a mode dial where the top screen is on the R, which is actually infinitely more useful compared to the awful digital mode selection dial on the R.

The one thing I will say is...if anyone was actually considering a 6D2, this is clearly the way to go instead, but please don't buy this camera.

• 26.2 Million Pixels Full Size Sensor
  • Dual pixel CMOS AF
  • DIGIC 8
  • 5 fps
  • ISO sensitivity: 100 to 40000 (equivalent to extended ISO: 50, 51200, 102400)
  • OLED EVF
  • 3″ type touch panel variable angle LCD
  • Dual Sensing IS
  • DLO in camera, RAW development in camera, C-RAW compatible
  • Size: 132.5 x 85.0 x 70.0 mm
  • Weight: Approximately 440 g (body only), about 485 g (including batteries?)

1769223.jpg

1769224.jpg
So long story short Canon still hasn't made a mirrorless camera as good as my A7RII.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
The thing about cameras here on Brazil:
- Sony: way, waaay too expensive bodies and lenses. It's not just the PS4 they sell here for much more that is reasonable.
- Nikon: Is not in the country anymore, so warranty is a pain. A lot of people still use them, though.
- Fuji: I've never looked too much into it. It seems there isn't enough variety.

Meanwhile Canon has reasonable prices, great used market and good support. In my context, the 6D MKII was the camera to buy. The 5D MKIV ir the EOS R would be double the price and completely out of range of a hobby.

I want to see for how much they will sell this new mirrorless camera.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are plenty of users for whom the 6D2/RP would make a lot of sense.

My heartburn is mostly with Canon completely phoning in the 6D2 from an R&D perspective. They offered almost no improvements and asked way too much money for it...it was classic Canon hubris.

To see them repeat that laziness with the RP is disappointing from an enthusiast point of view. However, I can totally understand where they are coming from. Reusing the existing 6D2/5D4 sensors for the first gen R bodies makes total financial sense.

Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of users for whom the 6D2/RP would make a lot of sense.

My heartburn is mostly with Canon completely phoning in the 6D2 from an R&D perspective. They offered almost no improvements and asked way too much money for it...it was classic Canon hubris.

To see them repeat that laziness with the RP is disappointing from an enthusiast point of view. However, I can totally understand where they are coming from. Reusing the existing 6D2/5D4 sensors for the first gen R bodies makes total financial sense.
I found the 6DmkII and the 5DIV to be very lazy cameras. They were improvements yes, but at the same time they weren't worth the day one asking price at all.
The thing about cameras here on Brazil:
- Sony: way, waaay too expensive bodies and lenses. It's not just the PS4 they sell here for much more that is reasonable.
- Nikon: Is not in the country anymore, so warranty is a pain. A lot of people still use them, though.
- Fuji: I've never looked too much into it. It seems there isn't enough variety.

Meanwhile Canon has reasonable prices, great used market and good support. In my context, the 6D MKII was the camera to buy. The 5D MKIV ir the EOS R would be double the price and completely out of range of a hobby.

I want to see for how much they will sell this new mirrorless camera.
Define what you mean by "variety" please. There's pretty much a Fuji camera for everybody unless you need full frame.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
This might well be ill conceived on my part, but...

1. What's your budget? - Ideally around £200-£300, though I might be pushed up to £400-ish if need be. Nothing north of £500 please
2. What size/form factor do you prefer? - Your archetypal DSLR shell is probably about right. See, this isn't actually for me, but...
3. What kinds of subjects will you be shooting? - For my Dad. This would most likely get put to use whenever he goes on holiday, and/or when taking pictures to secure memories of family. This is partly in anticipation of my brother's wedding later this year.
4. What level of photography experience do you have? - Irrelevant I suppose
5. Do you plan on upgrading in the future with lenses and accessories? - He might, but I suspect not. Dad's very much a 'one and use it as long as I can' kinda guy - that or he replaces it outright.

So yeah, hoping to get a relatively cheap but nevertheless good - and decidedly above a phone, I think he has an S7? - camera as a birthday gift for my Dad. This is in the UK, so bear that in mind for pricing. I may consider secondhand options, but with this sort of thing an option where he has the full protection of a warranty would be ideal.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This might well be ill conceived on my part, but...

1. What's your budget? - Ideally around £200-£300, though I might be pushed up to £400-ish if need be. Nothing north of £500 please
2. What size/form factor do you prefer? - Your archetypal DSLR shell is probably about right. See, this isn't actually for me, but...
3. What kinds of subjects will you be shooting? - For my Dad. This would most likely get put to use whenever he goes on holiday, and/or when taking pictures to secure memories of family. This is partly in anticipation of my brother's wedding later this year.
4. What level of photography experience do you have? - Irrelevant I suppose
5. Do you plan on upgrading in the future with lenses and accessories? - He might, but I suspect not. Dad's very much a 'one and use it as long as I can' kinda guy - that or he replaces it outright.

So yeah, hoping to get a relatively cheap but nevertheless good - and decidedly above a phone, I think he has an S7? - camera as a birthday gift for my Dad. This is in the UK, so bear that in mind for pricing. I may consider secondhand options, but with this sort of thing an option where he has the full protection of a warranty would be ideal.
Something like the Fuji X100 line jumps to mind. Don't have to putz with lenses, have a nice fast 35mm equivalent at all times for a variety of situations

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found the 6DmkII and the 5DIV to be very lazy cameras. They were improvements yes, but at the same time they weren't worth the day one asking price at all.

When I was debating going into full frame back in November of 2016, I was looking at the A7R II and the Canon 5D Mark IV. My previous Rebel DSLR was a Canon, so I naturally was inclined to go with them, but the more I read and watched online, the more attractive the A7R II became and I ended up going with it. Glad I made the choice I did then, but it's crazy that the EOS R is basically a 5D Mark IV, but a little bit worse in many ways.

Oct 25, 2017
When I was debating going into full frame back in November of 2016, I was looking at the A7R II and the Canon 5D Mark IV. My previous Rebel DSLR was a Canon, so I naturally was inclined to go with them, but the more I read and watched online, the more attractive the A7R II became and I ended up going with it. Glad I made the choice I did then, but it's crazy that the EOS R is basically a 5D Mark IV, but a little bit worse in many ways.
The EOS R and Z7 are mirrorless versions of their DSLR brothers, but worse in many ways indeed. Though to the credit of the Z7 it does video better. I chose an A7RII over a Z6, other than having to buy a new ecosystem and the lack of an AF joystick I don't really regret my choice. The A7RII is 85% a great camera, most of which got solved I'm sure with the third gen bodies. You would've been fine with the 5DIV, but there's a lot of stuff that you like that's lacking in the 5DIV.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know Ricoh makes some fixed-lens 35mm (equivalent) APS-C cameras that are a bit more affordable. Anyone in here have experience with those?

Oct 25, 2017
Dad's birthday is on the 16th, so... hrm. Guess I just reconsider the plan gift wise.
I was honestly going to just suggest getting a Nikon D5500 kit.
So after looking these up, I'm guessing I'd be looking at one of the older models? Because woof at the X100F.
If you're on a rigid budget do not get into cameras because the stuff that's a noted improvement over a basic cellphone is not cheap. You can shave some money off going used at least.

Oct 25, 2017
If AF isn't a concern he would totally be fine with an older X100; that's really where the improvements have been last few updates.

MagicPhone

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hey folks, just dropping into say howdy. I've had a Canon t3i for 8 years, primarily for video shoots. It's done me well, but it's time for an upgrade. Specifically, I'm doing more vlog style video recording with me in front of the camera and no camera operator, so I need something with autofocus, but also just want an upgrade. Been researching cameras for a bit and finally settled on a Panasonic G85. It's the right balance of good video features and within my price range. Plus I got a deal on a refurbished one. Should arrive Friday, which also happens to be my birthday. Very excited.

Anybody have experience with a lens adapter to use my older Canon DSLR lenses on this Panasonic. Amazon seems to sell one for $30, but not sure how that works. Thanks!

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey folks, just dropping into say howdy. I've had a Canon t3i for 8 years, primarily for video shoots. It's done me well, but it's time for an upgrade. Specifically, I'm doing more vlog style video recording with me in front of the camera and no camera operator, so I need something with autofocus, but also just want an upgrade. Been researching cameras for a bit and finally settled on a Panasonic G85. It's the right balance of good video features and within my price range. Plus I got a deal on a refurbished one. Should arrive Friday, which also happens to be my birthday. Very excited.

Anybody have experience with a lens adapter to use my older Canon DSLR lenses on this Panasonic. Amazon seems to sell one for $30, but not sure how that works. Thanks!
Your adapted lenses will be manual focus only

Oct 25, 2017

Just trade your Canon lenses for good glass or just junk them, especially if they're the kit lenses that came with the T3I. I have good Nikon glass that I didn't even bother trying to adapt when I got a Sony camera.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I was checking the SD cards on Amazon and damn those UHS-II ones are crazy expensive. $100 for only 64gb? Are they even worth it?

Oct 25, 2017