• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3 more Canon RF lenses revealed...they are going hard. The specs on that 100-400 are even better than the EF equivalent and the 2 consumer grade superzooms are great to see on the roadmap.

Canon RF 100-400mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM

Canon RF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS

Canon RF 50-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super smart on the lens front. They are serious about this. I really hope they come out with serious body to complement those lenses this year.

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That mount got sent off to die, I don't ever recommend it for a reason.

It's sad, and honestly I think it's a big advantage of E Mount, being the only Mirrorless system with support for both APS-C and Full Frame. That's assuming that Sony comes back and gives some love to their APS-C bodies and lenses as the rumors seem to indicate they will.

Oct 25, 2017
It's sad, and honestly I think it's a big advantage of E Mount, being the only Mirrorless system with support for both APS-C and Full Frame. That's assuming that Sony comes back and gives some love to their APS-C bodies and lenses as the rumors seem to indicate they will.
They pretty much support APS-C in name only. You can buy some crop sensor lenses, but most aren't that great and the other ones say Sigma on them.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They pretty much support APS-C in name only. You can buy some crop sensor lenses, but most aren't that great and the other ones say Sigma on them.

Yeah, the Sigma ones are badass. Some of the Sony primes are pretty nice, too, but expensive (35mm f/1.8, for example).

Still, being able to use full frame lenses on APS-C bodies is always nice, especially for the super zooms. Turn that 100 - 400 GM into a 150 - 600 equivalent, for example.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Sigma ones are badass. Some of the Sony primes are pretty nice, too, but expensive (35mm f/1.8, for example).

Still, being able to use full frame lenses on APS-C bodies is always nice, especially for the super zooms. Turn that 100 - 400 GM into a 150 - 650 equivalent, for example.
As a person that got their start by using a 70-200 on a crop sensor Nikon I know all about this. Took me a bit to get used to not having that extra reach, but I adapted, it's great for stuff like birding. Though Sony really does need to make more crop sensor lenses. They'll always lose to Fuji when it comes to that.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would be crazy, but I could see it happening. Sucks for anyone who bought into EOS M, but I suppose it already does.
Not crazy at all, they will need a $600 Rebel type crop body in the RF era. Call it RF-S, support RF lenses, done. The 35/1.8 would be a great option for both.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta get that soccer mom dollar some how.

Yeah, I suppose if they are really serious about transitioning away from DLSRs in the long run, as it appears they are, then they will need some kind of Rebel series to line the shelves on Black Friday.

At least with mirrorless tech and future AI/computational photography improvements, even people who don't learn photography should be able to get some good results.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I suppose if they are really serious about transitioning away from DLSRs in the long run, as it appears they are, then they will need some kind of Rebel series to line the shelves on Black Friday.

At least with mirrorless tech and future AI/computational photography improvements, even people who don't learn photography should be able to get some good results.
Trust me, even with idiot proof cameras they will be in auto with the pop up flash up photographing buildings. It's the biggest "you don't know what you're doing" sign.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched some of Gordon Laing's review of the OMD EM1X, and that's a wild little (lol) camera. Such an oddball, but he was handholding shots at 8 seconds. Totally niche, will totally bomb, but still a very interesting body on its own.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched some of Gordon Laing's review of the OMD EM1X, and that's a wild little (lol) camera. Such an oddball, but he was handholding shots at 8 seconds. Totally niche, will totally bomb, but still a very interesting body on its own.

Cool review. Those handhelds ;) https://youtu.be/ypUU3lbaH4M

I doubt they make very many of them. The em5 III and pen-f ii will be the volume enthusiast cameras and em1 ii will remain more of the pro camera people actually buy just with the larger grip even if em5ii and pen-f ii finally end up getting pdaf.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the price point? Yes. It cannot currently do AF-C in burst mode. It's burst mode is 3fps. Those are specs that rival the original 5D, except the 5D had AI-Servo in burst mode.

There's a chance this will be improved by firmware but they are already 2 months late delivering the first FW update for the R.

Nov 13, 2017
At the price point? Yes. It cannot currently do AF-C in burst mode. It's burst mode is 3fps. Those are specs that rival the original 5D, except the 5D had AI-Servo in burst mode.

There's a chance this will be improved by firmware but they are already 2 months late delivering the first FW update for the R.

I haven't checked prices, but is it more than the Z6 or AIII?

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think so. The images it produces are just fine, of course, and I do like the grip and how it feels in the hand, but in terms of functionality, it's not great. The joystick being replaced with an unreliable touch bar was just an odd decision and it sucks from the short amount of time I've played with it. The touch screen is good, but needing to rely on it completely to choose focus points is not a pleasant experience. More than all of that, though, the continuous AF tracking performance and burst rate shooting is just dismal. I get that not everyone is into shooting moving subjects, but I imagine a lot of people are, and this camera does not make it easier. It should have been at least as good as the 5D Mark IV with mirrorless tech improvements, but it's honestly just not.

The 4K video crop is pretty unacceptable as well. With a 1.7x crop in 4K30, it's approaching M43 territory without the wider angle glass.

Nov 13, 2017
I think so. The images it produces are just fine, of course, and I do like the grip and how it feels in the hand, but in terms of functionality, it's not great. The joystick being replaced with an unreliable touch bar was just an odd decision and it sucks from the short amount of time I've played with it. The touch screen is good, but needing to rely on it completely to choose focus points is not a pleasant experience. More than all of that, though, the continuous AF tracking performance and burst rate shooting is just dismal. I get that not everyone is into shooting moving subjects, but I imagine a lot of people are, and this camera does not make it easier. It should have been at least as good as the 5D Mark IV with mirrorless tech improvements, but it's honestly just not.

Fair, yeah I saw the DPreview video and that touch bar seemed like a terrible idea, I wasn't considering it but hadn't looked more than that into it

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't checked prices, but is it more than the Z6 or AIII?
Yes by several hundos, and those cameras far exceed the R's performance. I would NEVER recommend an R over an A7III.

Everyone universally says they disable the touchbar, it's straight garbage. Also, I have my doubts about using the touchscreen as my AF joystick. Touchscreens are the first thing I disable cause of my schnoz.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Been AWOL for a bit, busy with life and things. Is that Canon thing for real? Doesn't look that hot to be honest. But if it's means a cheaper A7III I'm all for it!

135 1,8GM

Looks like it will be smaller than the Sigma as expected.

Is it even possible to make larger lenses than Sigma Arts?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The 4K video crop is pretty unacceptable as well. With a 1.7x crop in 4K30, it's approaching M43 territory without the wider angle glass.

Olympus does cropless 4k and with a cheap but sharp panny 12mm pancake zoom (like $100 new in bulk packaging) that's 24mm ff equivalent, or 28mm with olympus's very good for video 14mm electronic zoom (also ~$100). So yeah with that crop factor on the canon you're starting out at about 40mm with the $1099 24mm zoom. I run a Ricoh .75 WA converter that screws right onto the panny 12mm, so I'm down to 18mm ff equivalent.

Last edited:

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Does anyone have experience with studio lights? I wanted to buy come cheap lights for learning how to set a scene up (both for stills and video), so nothing too fancy. I think basically my only option would be a led panel, right? On Amazon basically the only led lights are from Neewer, which is not a big brand or anything.

Specifically this one https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07KBZSMGQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1Y1N7EB7FP3R0&psc=1
(there's another bigger model, but I wanted to buy a reflector/diffuser disk too while staying in the 80€ budget).

Worth it? I've seen some video reviews and it looks good enough for the price, but maybe you guys know of an alternative.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Olympus does cropless 4k and with a cheap but sharp panny 12mm pancake zoom (like $100 new in bulk packaging) that's 24mm ff equivalent, or 28mm with olympus's very good for video 14mm electronic zoom (also ~$100). So yeah with that crop factor on the canon you're starting out at about 40mm with the $1099 24mm zoom. I run a Ricoh .75 WA converter that screws right onto the panny 12mm, so I'm down to 18mm ff equivalent.

Yeah, for 4K video specifically, it's hard to go wrong with M43. The GH5 doesn't even crop when doing 4K60, I believe, which is impressive.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched this A6400 review/overview from Mark Galer and man, it is really making it hard to wait for the A9 firmware update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiYgJZS6_qA

The always-on eye AF and particularly the tracking capabilities even in the A6400 look to be a real game changer for mirrorless focusing technology. I'm particularly impressed with the shots he was able to get at the parade seemingly effortlessly.

I'm also really excited about being able to bind a "toggle AF mode" to a button as well as being able to limit the number of focusing modes that it toggles between. I'll probably end up keeping Zone, Single AF Point (small), and Tracking: Wide as my options and also binding a button to "recall" Wide Area focusing when I need it so I can always quickly switch between modes without using any kind of menu.

Oct 25, 2017
The A7RII is also part of the Sony trade up deal right now too.

The people on the Fred Miranda canon board got a little grumpy with me yesterday when I suggested the R2 is better than the EOS R lol.
Where's the fucking lie though? Canon put out a four year old camera in 2019. Even the fucking Z cameras have joysticks and fucking IBIS. The EOS R in some ways has specs that date back to the first A7 camera.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The A7RII is also part of the Sony trade up deal right now too.

The people on the Fred Miranda canon board got a little grumpy with me yesterday when I suggested the R2 is better than the EOS R lol.

Objectively, what are even the arguments in favor of the EOS R other than the touch screen functionality? Seems like a weird comparison to get hung up on.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Objectively, what are even the arguments in favor of the EOS R other than the touch screen functionality? Seems like a weird comparison to get hung up on.
Brand loyalty is a hell of a thing.

Subjectively, and even this is strictly to my eye and my opinion only, I prefer Canon optics, and they perform better on the R than on most EF bodies. Right now that's the only advantage I can see, and probably an important one for Canon only shooters.

I decided to double down on agitating them and brought up this extremely likely scenario.

Winter 2019: Canon R Pro launches at $3500
Spring/Summer 2020: A7R4 launches, A7R3 drops to $1700

R3 is on feature parity or still even better spec wise than whatever the R Pro is at half the cost.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Subjectively, and even this is strictly to my eye and my opinion only, I prefer Canon optics, and they perform better on the R than on most EF bodies. Right now that's the only advantage I can see, and probably an important one for Canon only shooters.

I decided to double down on agitating them and brought up this extremely likely scenario.

R3 is on feature parity or still even better spec wise than whatever the R Pro is at half the cost.

And yet Canon probably will continue to gain market share, because for most people out there, Canon means professional photos.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not very brand loyal. I was pretty much done with Nikon when the Z cameras came out. I still shoot on Nikon for indoor work events, but I was pretty much done investing in F mount after that. I love my two DSLR's but for certain things I do not want to use them and they're not great for video hence my multiple mirrorless cameras. I'd get the A7RIII in a fucking heartbeat at that price.
And yet Canon probably will continue to gain market share, because for most people out there, Canon means professional photos.
Sadly there is a lot of truth in this. Canon makes great glass, but there bodies leave a lot to be desired.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
You will be fine, just don't get a full frame camera and the lens is viable for the life of the mount. Amazon says that because the 6500 is the most recent Sony crop sensor camera.
This is a lens for all Sony APS-C sensor size cameras with an E-Mount, so just not for the full-frame models like A7 or A9. As long you stick to the four digit model numbers (A6300/A6400/A6500 or the rumoured A6700 / A7000), you're fine.
It's a very nice lens. Pretty sharp yet not too heavy and the mechanical quality is good for its price. F1.4 means you can use it in darker situations like indoors at your cosplay events.

Isn't full frame something I want to eventually buy?

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't full frame something I want to eventually buy?
This depends more on what you shoot than anything else though I will always maintain that a viable crop sensor ecosystem isn't in Sony, but in Fuji. I'm a portrait and indoor event photographer...I do more or less need full frame, but can get by on crop sensor, but the high iso on something like a Nikon D4 is a pretty good safety net.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
This depends more on what you shoot than anything else though I will always maintain that a viable crop sensor ecosystem isn't in Sony, but in Fuji. I'm a portrait and indoor event photographer...I do more or less need full frame, but can get by on crop sensor, but the high iso on something like a Nikon D4 is a pretty good safety net.
Ah yes I do remember you recommending me a Fuji about two years back (X-T20) but I couldn't really afford it at the time. It does make me wonder "What if?". Maybe when I get a better paying Job I'll dive into the Fuji scene.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes I do remember you recommending me a Fuji about two years back (X-T20) but I couldn't really afford it at the time. It does make me wonder "What if?". Maybe when I get a better paying Job I'll dive into the Fuji scene.
Both that and the X-T2 have had nice price drops since then. The X-T2 is still a really good camera since I used it earlier today for work for some hybrid shooting. My main grip with the X-T20 is that it's small, like too small to be comfortable. You don't have to get the grip, but the X-T2 feels great with the vertical grip on it. It's the right balance of heft in my opinion. I prefer it over my gripped D7100 from back in the day. Then again I grip all of my cameras so don't listen to me lol. Mirrorless is supposed to be lighter and it still is to a certain degree, but I honestly prefer the in hand feel of my cameras with a vertical grip...I also shoot a good amount of portraits so it makes sense.