• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Loosely related, I'm loving having ISO set to the round wheel on the A7 back. Can actually control the whole triangle without looking away from the EVF, which I could never say for Canon.
Yeah it's a great feeling. From what I remember with Canon there are too many buttons a bit too close to each other that control things. It's probably body specific, but my jobs 60D is a mess, the 5DMKIV is probably better with this, but it's not my camera and I just use the touch screen to change things around for video work.

Sure, but what would make you recommend it over an a6000? Especially since it's more expensive?

I definitely prefer the higher res EVF/ rear screen, dials, and IBIS.

Since everyone here is recommending used...
I don't find an almost good as new E-M10 II at $299, nor a newer $449 E-M10 III that much more expensive than an a6000.

Almost all of my Olympus bodies and glass were bought refurbished in conjuction with either purchase points, and / or holiday sales for even more of a discount.
https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet/reconditioned-cameras.html?dir=asc&limit=36&order=price

I still dislike both menu systems from Olympus & Sony cameras, though.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't find an almost good as new E-M10 II at $299, nor a newer $449 E-M10 III that much more expensive than an a6000.

Almost all of my Olympus bodies and glass were bought refurbished in conjuction with either purchase points, and / or holiday sales for even more of a discount.
https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet/reconditioned-cameras.html?dir=asc&limit=36&order=price

Oly menus can be a deep dive but the em1ii and em10iii are definite improvements. A lot of people throw shade at the em10iii for stripping some stuff but most of that even pros wouldn't use and it actually did add a fair amount of useful LE and stacking modes that the ii doesn't have. Like it's insane how easy it is to get a nice composite stacked long exposure straight out of the body without even to touching it. No one else does that.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah buying used and refurbished can be a godsend. My only new camera is the X-T3, the rest are used, refurbished and the A7RII I got used the week before black friday when they had that body going for stupid cheap. Thing was like 1350 or something, for an A7RII.

I've had my trusty Manfrotto 055XPROB for over a decade and love it. It's heavy, but it's built like a tank, withstands anything I throw at it. I desperately need an Arca ballhead for it though, still rocking my original 486RC2 style head, and while it works perfectly, the world has definitely moved on from RC2.

I regularly throw my body + 100-400 lens in portrait on there with zero fear.

This recommendation plus 10,000%

I was so pissed off when my 055XPROB with a Acratech GP ballhead was stolen from my car.
I miss that combination so much....

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I got a notification from this thread because I shoot on an a6000. I think it's a great camera. I don't have any complaints. So much so that I am almost never in this thread anymore. :p

I'm looking to buy a second body at some point soon when I come across one dirt cheap enough.

I'm a poor person who can't afford much. It was a good investment in so far as I don't feel like I'll ever need to upgrade for what I like to do with my hobby. I'm sure any number of cameras could fit that bill. My ability as a photographer hasn't caught up with the technical limitations of most cameras.

Oct 25, 2017
I got a notification from this thread because I shoot on an a6000. I think it's a great camera. I don't have any complaints. So much so that I am almost never in this thread anymore. :p

I'm looking to buy a second body at some point soon when I come across one dirt cheap enough.

I'm a poor person who can't afford much. It was a good investment in so far as I don't feel like I'll ever need to upgrade for what I like to do with my hobby. I'm sure any number of cameras could fit that bill. My ability as a photographer hasn't caught up with the technical limitations of most cameras.
That was from me. I like what you do with it.

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
Rented a Fuji XT3 along with the 23mm 2.0 and a gimbal because I wanted to try the video. I really love the quality of video along with the autofocus system, shit is good. I wasn't that impressed with the low light quality of the photos, but that autofocus though. MMMM YEAH! I definitely would love to own it just for the video capabilities alone.

Oct 25, 2017
Rented a Fuji XT3 along with the 23mm 2.0 and a gimbal because I wanted to try the video. I really love the quality of video along with the autofocus system, shit is good. I wasn't that impressed with the low light quality of the photos, but that autofocus though. MMMM YEAH! I definitely would love to own it just for the video capabilities alone.
The X-T3 is a great video camera, even my video editor likes it after years of looking at Canon and Sony FS700 output. Because of the lowlight on Fuji I pretty much recommend the 1.4 lenses, the F2 stuff is not enough, doubly so for the 2.8's.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I had thought it created them out of a bunch of RAWs and stitched them together, but apparently it creates a 4k video and creates it out of that.... Which is actually pretty clever, but not really what I wanted.

20190210-DSCF3583.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

This one actually turned out alright, but the other two I tried came out too low contrast, and since no RAW, I couldn't really be bugged to try and fix them.

Blech of course now I catch the stitching error on the right :/

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you use lightroom your best bet is just to take a bunch of raws and let LR do the work, it's fantastic at stitching.

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm...GWHuWYUPnyrQ-vR4pktJXCJziwZvnB8qrk3FANRoo2JpE

Oh shit, Fuji is focusing on improving C-AF on the upcoming GFX 100, with PDAF coverage across the frame. No way I'm shelving out $10k for that camera and probably equally as much for a few lenses to go with it, but medium format turning into something with usable AF is really exciting.
Yeah those things having not garbage AF would be great. That's a wallet buster, but would be a lot cheaper than a fucking Hasselblad system.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah those things having not garbage AF would be great. That's a wallet buster, but would be a lot cheaper than a fucking Hasselblad system.

Yeah, Hasselblad is just dumb if you ask me. The Leica of digital medium format without the great camera body aesthetics.

They also do stupid shit like rebranding Sony cameras and charging thousands of dollars more for nothing.

https://petapixel.com/2015/06/13/hasselblad-lusso-to-be-a-luxury-rebranded-sony-a7r/

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Fuji customer service is fucking quick. They got my camera on the 4th, sent it out on Friday and I got it back today...granted being a state over from their repair center probably helped this along as well. I think they just replaced my battery grip since it reads the batteries in there now.
I'll probably be in the market for one next year, I wonder how low it can go.

Oct 25, 2017
I would more likely pair the R with the regular A73 since it's better in low light.
True. Only gripe would be the EVF and the back screen. Mainly the back screen. The screen on my RII is so low res that it's hard for me to know what's even in focus. I zoom in and there's no detail at all. In focus looks out of focus, granted I'm probably zooming in too much and I have the exact problem on my D4, but the D4 has a screen from 2012 so I'm not surprised on that front.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True. Only gripe would be the EVF and the back screen. Mainly the back screen. The screen on my RII is so low res that it's hard for me to know what's even in focus. I zoom in and there's no detail at all. In focus looks out of focus, granted I'm probably zooming in too much and I have the exact problem on my D4, but the D4 has a screen from 2012 so I'm not surprised on that front.
I typically use the EVF for chimping these days but that's not any better on the A73.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The SonyAlpha insta page had some photogs thoroughly soaking their alphas in an icelandic waterfall and it made my stomach hurt to watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if something is water resistant/water proof I still try not to get it wet, if I spent a ton of money on something I'm not taking a risk
Yeah somethings you never know. My DSLR's have been fine, but the MILC stuff has way too many electronics in there, granted the X-H1 would be perfectly fine I think. If it can survive Matt Granger it's legit.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I guessed, the R got it's new firmware this week, and it's a stinker...I mean, nice for burst in electronic shutter, but that should have been day one.

Canon EOS R Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes.

1. Support for "continuous shooting" is available when "silent shutter" has been enabled.
2. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur if there is a large number of files in a specific format on the memory card.
3. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur when silent shutter has been enabled.
4. Corrects a phenomenon in which horizontal linear noise may occur when using specific lenses together with certain recording image quality settings.
5. Corrects a phenomenon in which the information displayed in the viewfinder may become abnormal.

Also an interesting infographic that shows what a bad last few years the camera industry has had in general.

snap3-center-top-700x300.jpg

Infographics2018_5000.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
As I guessed, the R got it's new firmware this week, and it's a stinker...I mean, nice for burst in electronic shutter, but that should have been day one.

Canon EOS R Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes.

1. Support for "continuous shooting" is available when "silent shutter" has been enabled.
2. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur if there is a large number of files in a specific format on the memory card.
3. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur when silent shutter has been enabled.
4. Corrects a phenomenon in which horizontal linear noise may occur when using specific lenses together with certain recording image quality settings.
5. Corrects a phenomenon in which the information displayed in the viewfinder may become abnormal.

Also an interesting infographic that shows what a bad last few years the camera industry has had in general.

snap3-center-top-700x300.jpg

Infographics2018_5000.jpg
The drop is scary actually. It also really looks like mirrorless is the future that nobody is buying because the increase is barely there and doesn't look like it can solely support the camera market. I mean unless they stop making DSLR's and then magically 6.6 million more mirrorless cameras get purchased then the death of the DSLR isn't happening.

Nov 13, 2017
There is less reason to upgrade as often anymore, and a lot of people, are satisfied with their phones or point and shoots for sharing on fb.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Less cameras and less people shooting pro-grade cameras isn't the worst thing in the world. We are absolutely spoiled for choice from all the major brands right now. You can't buy a 2018/2019 model and be held back from making the pictures you want to make, all our complaints are just nitpicks. I think it's clear more and more people are now satisfied with their cell phones as their only camera.

Also that Interchangable vs Noninterchangable is where the real story is. The P&S market segment has been completely replaced by phones, and that is skewing the numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
Less cameras and less people shooting pro-grade cameras isn't the worst thing in the world. We are absolutely spoiled for choice from all the major brands right now. You can't buy a 2018/2019 model and be held back from making the pictures you want to make, all our complaints are just nitpicks. I think it's clear more and more people are now satisfied with their cell phones as their only camera.

Also that Interchangable vs Noninterchangable is where the real story is. The P&S market segment has been completely replaced by phones, and that is skewing the numbers.
Most people don't have to buy a new camera every year. For the most part I've been getting by on older bodies pretty well, mirrorless is starting to hit that sweet spot as well. You can probably be on an every two year cycle and be perfectly fine or just wait out a year and just get something used. When digital first hit you pretty much had to do a yearly upgrade, but now most cameras are so good it doesn't even matter.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on closer to a six-year cycle but it makes me wonder if the cameras I like will even be around in 2024.