• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see a lot of people would a7riii that just absolutely suck at photography.
tenor.gif

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
That should be with* but I touched my eye and still had Serrano pepper on it so I typed that post while crying and sticking my head in and out of the shower trying to wash my face off

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seriously thinking of picking one up

And yeah Ultimately It's about skill. I see a lot of people would a7riii that just absolutely suck at photography. No amount of editing is going to make their work look good or interesting
I think they just stick it in auto and expect the camera to do everything for them. I have only really wasted my first DSLR and that was due to lack of talent. Everything else I think I have shot pretty well with for the most part.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Great, I'll pick it up. I have an 800D that I started with, and picked up a 5D Classic for cheap to dip my toes into full frame. I'm starting to take on small paid gigs for headshots and theatre photography and my best lens is the Sigma EF-S 17-50mm f2.8, so this would be a big step up. I'll then sell the 5D and Sigma and keep the 800D and kit lens for the few times I need to do video.
Here's the thing, the Canon lens should be sharper, better colors (subjective). Just be careful with your combo as the body and the lens aren't stabilized, don't expect miracles indoors at f/2.8 and slow shutter speeds if you shake. If you are doing paid gigs indoors, take a tripod, borrow a flash (bounce it or use a diffuser), play around, and it should be a big step up from the 17-50 and APS-C body for sure.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Any modern camera will not be used to its full potential by 99% of people that buy it. Never been a better time to be a photographer.
I'm just hoping the RX1R MK3 is faster and has good battery life, it'll be my carry everywhere camera........or a used Q1. I'm hoping the Q2 and the upcoming Zeiss cameras will drive the prices down.

Oct 25, 2017
Great, I'll pick it up. I have an 800D that I started with, and picked up a 5D Classic for cheap to dip my toes into full frame. I'm starting to take on small paid gigs for headshots and theatre photography and my best lens is the Sigma EF-S 17-50mm f2.8, so this would be a big step up. I'll then sell the 5D and Sigma and keep the 800D and kit lens for the few times I need to do video.
I have memories of my Sigma 17-50 being quite inaccurate AF wise, yeah sell it. If you're doing paid gigs get really good with on camera flash. I know a photographer that never got good with it and his event shots are shit. For headshots get an 85 1.8 at the bare minimum and learn how to off camera lighting. Youtube videos and hands on experiments are pretty much the best for this type of stuff. There are ways to do it with one light source and more, I just started using three light sources for work and the stuff took a notable step up in quality, but it helps if you know how to diffuse light.

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
Still thinking about the 24mm GM. Looks like such an awesome lens.

Did anyone pick one up? Looks like it's still sold out, good for my wallet....

Oct 25, 2017
Still thinking about the 24mm GM. Looks like such an awesome lens.

Did anyone pick one up? Looks like it's still sold out, good for my wallet....
I'm sitting here doing my best to not preorder a 135GM, I'm deciding between that and a 24-70GM. I could easily get the Zeiss F4, but I heard it's dog shit and the Tamron isn't wide enough...not to mention I shoot indoor events so that also puts the F4's out of the running.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I read enough of that already LOL. If it wasn't for the fact that I might have to move soon I'd have preordered it already, I still might, shit. I kind of want to wait till I get my unused vacation time check and go to town.

But why wouldn't you want to own almost the best lens ever designed, with a focal length hardly anybody really needs with that aperture?

Oct 25, 2017
But why wouldn't you want to own almost the best lens ever designed, with a focal length hardly anybody really needs with that aperture?
It's why I want it. I already know I'd use it since it would be better for low light for when my 70-200GM can't handle it. It's really just bad timing. I think I can get it knocked down to 1600 with some trade ins, but that's money I might be needing to move into another apartment so it's a matter of prioritizing. Choices are getting a lens or risk being homeless.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never understood the concept of shooting from the hip street photography. Isn't it literally spray and pray with no sense of what you're actually capturing?

Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood the concept of shooting from the hip street photography. Isn't it literally spray and pray with no sense of what you're actually capturing?
Well ideally you have a waist level view finder of some sort -- common on medium format box cameras, and imitatable on MILC's with a tilting screen.

It does take practice though, mainly from the disconnect of having the screen facing up at you at a different angle than the lens is actually capturing, but it's not difficult.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well ideally you have a waist level view finder of some sort -- common on medium format box cameras, and imitatable on MILC's with a tilting screen.

It does take practice though, mainly from the disconnect of having the screen facing up at you at a different angle than the lens is actually capturing, but it's not difficult.
I still don't quite get it...is the point to be discrete? Good fucking luck seeing a tilted LCD in broad daylight around here.

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't quite get it...is the point to be discrete? Good fucking luck seeing a tilted LCD in broad daylight around here.
I've only done it once or twice, but never had any issues with it. It sort of requires, or at least heavily encourages, a neck strap vs shoulder strap.

It gives you a different angle and is, yeah, more discrete.

Better on the medium format cameras though because if it's bright outside, it's bright in the viewfinder.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah and that's why his photos aren't much to look at, nothing interesting is happening (except for the girl smiling at her reflection, that's the best of the bunch), those would've been much better had he taken them properly. Shooting from the hip is when you don't have the time or you don't want to disturb the scene. All good street photographers should set exposure and pre-focus a predicted distance anyway though.

Edit: I did mean to say it's not spray and pray precisely because you set the focus for an anticipated distance. You expect something within that zone of focus to be happening, you anticipate and be ready for it, hence the distance scale. However that's that scene capturing vintage method, of course plenty of my photos are static scenes: street art, buildings, streets, landscapes so there's no need to pre-focus.

I'm sure we've all seen the most famous one, possibly the most famous street photo of all time (he could've use a 24mm f1.4 with tracking AF and a FF sensor eh?):

http://100photos.time.com/photos/henri-cartier-bresson-behind-gare-saint-lazare

Last edited:

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I just ordered the Fuji X-T3 with the 18-55 lens. First real camera. Pretty excited to get into photography. I had an internship at a tv production agency a few months ago and I just loved to work with the equipment. They filmed mostly on a Sony FS-7 and a 5D Mark IV and I loved the few times I got to actually work with them. Both video work and some photography when I had the time. I'm really excited to finally have a camera that I can just take with me. I've watched so many videos about equipment and photography, I've read a short book on the history of photography and one on beginner photography, played around in Lightroom and Capture One with some sample images and now I finally had the money saved up to make the jump. Really excited for it to arrive. Just felt like sharing.

Oct 25, 2017
I just ordered the Fuji X-T3 with the 18-55 lens. First real camera. Pretty excited to get into photography. I had an internship at a tv production agency a few months ago and I just loved to work with the equipment. They filmed mostly on a Sony FS-7 and a 5D Mark IV and I loved the few times I got to actually work with them. Both video work and some photography when I had the time. I'm really excited to finally have a camera that I can just take with me. I've watched so many videos about equipment and photography, I've read a short book on the history of photography and one on beginner photography, played around in Lightroom and Capture One with some sample images and now I finally had the money saved up to make the jump. Really excited for it to arrive. Just felt like sharing.
Enjoy it and get some of the good primes if you want.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Video yeah, but also probably the best one for low light which is why I was interested in it to begin with. But the RX1X is more my style, I'm waiting on that front as a second body.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any word on the A7S3?

Only this DPReview interview with a Sony exec:

The basic expectation is for things like 4K/60, 10-bit 4:2:2, and a lot of manufacturers are doing that right now, but I want to think in a different way and create something that goes beyond the expectations of our customers. It's easy to add 4K/60, but beyond these specs, a lot of customers have other kinds of demands, and that's what we're researching.

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/9676983794/cp-2019-sony-interview-first-full-frame-then-aps-c/1

No word on timing, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Buy first, regret later.

Depends of course if you shoot enough of that focal length to justify the cost. And it looks like it'll be the best 135mm so far.
Believe it or not but I use that length for a lot of street photography on Fuji. Would also be a really good low light event photography lens. It would definitely be used.

mtosh

Nov 3, 2017
88SjoPi.jpg

Just purchased this guy - New Fuji user coming from Canon.

Any tips from X series owners?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Just purchased this guy - New Fuji user coming from Canon.

Any tips from X series owners?
Congrats, it's a joy to use, possibly the best/fastest APS-C body out there depending on use case. What tips are you looking for? Make sure to use a moderately fast card (Sandisk Extreme Pro for example) to hit it's potential. Judiciously use the Q menu and get used to changing parameters there on the fly. Setup the screen swipe controls and button/dials to setup the functions you would be using most frequently. Get used to the drive modes. Setup the EVF/screen displays to your liking (I like to use the distance scale and get digital as well as analog readouts and the histogram for light metering.

mtosh

Nov 3, 2017
Congrats, it's a joy to use, possibly the best/fastest APS-C body out there depending on use case. What tips are you looking for? Make sure to use a moderately fast card (Sandisk Extreme Pro for example) to hit it's potential. Judiciously use the Q menu and get used to changing parameters there on the fly. Setup the screen swipe controls and button/dials to setup the functions you would be using most frequently. Get used to the drive modes. Setup the EVF/screen displays to your liking (I like to use the distance scale and get digital as well as analog readouts and the histogram for light metering.

Great thanks for the tips! Little overwhelming diving into the Fuji system from Canon but really enjoying the camera so far!

Any recommendations on the Film Simulation modes? I usually just shoot RAW on Canon but I'm intrigued...

For lenses I'm just starting out with the 18-55mm but looking to pick up a prime soon - any suggestions for a nice compliment to the kit lens?

Oct 25, 2017
Great thanks for the tips! Little overwhelming diving into the Fuji system from Canon but really enjoying the camera so far!

Any recommendations on the Film Simulation modes? I usually just shoot RAW on Canon but I'm intrigued...

For lenses I'm just starting out with the 18-55mm but looking to pick up a prime soon - any suggestions for a nice compliment to the kit lens?
What do you shoot? I can suggest a couple of primes, but they might not be to your tastes. Regarding film sims I use classic chrome a lot and at times Provia, it really depends on the look you're going for and how it suits your editing style. I also personally just keep the touch screen off. I also mostly have the EVF set to EVF only and only switch that if I need the LCD for a shot, but my suggestions probably make no sense to other people on here.

mtosh

Nov 3, 2017
What do you shoot? I can suggest a couple of primes, but they might not be to your tastes. Regarding film sims I use classic chrome a lot and at times Provia, it really depends on the look you're going for and how it suits your editing style. I also personally just keep the touch screen off. I also mostly have the EVF set to EVF only and only switch that if I need the LCD for a shot, but my suggestions probably make no sense to other people on here.

Good to know, thanks!

In terms of subjects - I'm looking for a prime for mostly portraits & street photography

Oct 25, 2017

Any of the "Fujicrons" are good lenses -- that is to say, the F2 weather resistant primes. There's a 35mm f2, 23mm f2, and a 50mm f2. After you get a feel for the focal length you like the most on your kit lens, get the prime that gets closest to that.

Alternatively, if you want to really take advantage of the system's EXCELLENT focus assist options, you can get the Mitakon 35mm f0.95, which is my favorite lens right now, and swim your way through bokeh.

As for film sims, I typically use Acros with some stronger contrast for general subjects, Provia for nature/greenery/anything particularly colorful, and Chrome if I want to have some color, but it's not really a 'photo about the color' for lack of better term.

I use the X-LR Plugin in order to automatically apply these film sims to my RAWs when I import them into Lightroom; that gives me the flexibility I want with a pretty damn good starting point.

Final piece of advice: DIALS!!!