• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Undoubtedly, but it's A9 > A73 > A7R3 > A7R2, and even some people with the A9 have reported the new AF can still be somewhat glitchy, and that's on the best body Sony has.

Certainly haven't seen any glitchiness in the real-time Eye AF. The new subject tracking tech isn't 100% perfect, but it's pretty incredible, too.

Looks like the third-gen A7 bodies will also be getting animal eye AF with this update! Looking forward to seeing impressions on that. The A9 won't get it for a couple more months.

Oct 27, 2017
My new toy.
moza_box_by_theartofamadman_dd47742-fullview.jpg
moza_air_2_by_theartofamadman_dd4772q-fullview.jpg

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Any thoughts on the Pixma Pro 100? I know you can get it for as low as $50 sometimes, but the fact that it comes with a $50 pack of big paper is a big draw for me.

I've heard people will straight up buy a new printer when their ink runs out because these deals are cheaper than replacing the full ink bay.

https://www.canonwatch.com/hot-deal-canon-pixma-pro-100-professional-photo-printer-79-99-reg-399/

I own the Pixma Pro 10-S, print quality is real good, as is the official Canon paper. The ink costs are the only downside, costs me over £100 to replace the 10 cartridges. (they are cheaper if bought in a bundle), and it can chew through the Canon chroma optimizer very quickly.

Oct 25, 2017
Any thoughts on the Pixma Pro 100? I know you can get it for as low as $50 sometimes, but the fact that it comes with a $50 pack of big paper is a big draw for me.

I've heard people will straight up buy a new printer when their ink runs out because these deals are cheaper than replacing the full ink bay.

https://www.canonwatch.com/hot-deal-canon-pixma-pro-100-professional-photo-printer-79-99-reg-399/
Pixma Pro is awesome once you get it calibrated.
I honestly find it easier to open up the photos on my phone and print from there for brightness that matches what I expect; for some reason Lightroom and Photoshop print too dark, by about a stop.

Ink isn't too bad for 100, I think if you buy the whole set it's around $50.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Pixma Pro is awesome once you get it calibrated.
I honestly find it easier to open up the photos on my phone and print from there for brightness that matches what I expect; for some reason Lightroom and Photoshop print too dark, by about a stop.

Yeah, worth doing some small prints to test the brightness. Default settings tend to be overly dark.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've used it for a few hundred prints of various sizes since getting it last year and it's fantastic. Best prints I've ever made or had made. Definitely look professional grade to me.

Oct 25, 2017
I've used it for a few hundred prints of various sizes since getting it last year and it's fantastic. Best prints I've ever made or had made. Definitely look professional grade to me.
How hard is it to do this rebate? My only hurdle is figuring out where the fuck I'm putting this thing. I'd have to make room on my work desk or something. Or sleep on it.

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a rebate make sure you quadruple read the fine print... For me they wanted basically the entire panel that the barcode was on... And I couldn't provide that by the time I came around to fill out the rebate paperwork.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
what do people use for raw processing? I'm not entirely happy with Lightroom's results for Fuji's RAW files vs what I get out of the camera's processor. Though this could just be user error on my end.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what do people use for raw processing? I'm not entirely happy with Lightroom's results for Fuji's RAW files vs what I get out of the camera's processor. Though this could just be user error on my end.
LR sucks ass for Fuji RAF files, Capture One is much, much better. Most of the problem with LR is letting it do ANY sharpening for you. Don't let it. Do your sharpening outside of Lightroom. If you have the LR/PS bundle, do your edits in LR, make sure sharpening slider is at 0, edit in PS, run an unsharp mask, and then export to JPEG from PS.

That being said, I hate Capture One so much that a plus in my column for moving from Fuji to Sony was the ability to use Lightroom in my workflow.

Oct 25, 2017
LR sucks ass for Fuji RAF files, Capture One is much, much better. Most of the problem with LR is letting it do ANY sharpening for you. Don't let it. Do your sharpening outside of Lightroom. If you have the LR/PS bundle, do your edits in LR, make sure sharpening slider is at 0, edit in PS, run an unsharp mask, and then export to JPEG from PS.

That being said, I hate Capture One so much that a plus in my column for moving from Fuji to Sony was the ability to use Lightroom in my workflow.
So pretty much I never have a problem editing RAF's in LR because I never touch the sharpening slider? Just checked and LR seems to default at 40 I think, it's never really bothered me.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So pretty much I never have a problem editing RAF's in LR because I never touch the sharpening slider? Just checked and LR seems to default at 40 I think, it's never really bothered me.
No, 40 is WAYYYYYY too much. Max 15 before you start to see really nasty effects from the Adobe demosaicing engine. I also shoot a lot more foliage than you do which is where it rears its head the hardest.

Oct 25, 2017
No, 40 is WAYYYYYY too much. Max 15 before you start to see really nasty effects from the Adobe demosaicing engine. I also shoot a lot more foliage than you do which is where it rears its head the hardest.
I fucked around and stuff starts to look like dog shit at 150. Also yeah I don't do that much foliage work on my Fuji's. I guess this just means that the A7RII will be my hiking camera then since it has definitely been my favorite Central Park camera to date.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA

yeah this explains a lot since I was shooting cherry blossoms in Japan.

I may mess with C1 some tonight to see if I can figure out that flow.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
For daytime exposures I let Fuji film sims do their thing, for night shots and low light shots I use CaptureOne. I haven't had any issues with CaptureOne interface, typically I only boost exposure and play around with levels and clarity, preset sharpening settings typically look great to me, and I don't do much noise reduction...in fact C1's noise reduction is the only thing I don't like.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if it works on birds at all. I'd be highly suspect that they only added cats and dogs to the machine learning for this first iteration.
This is a very good question. Some bird eyes get very hard to see because they match the bird color. Stuff like owls might be possible because their eyes are huge, but swans and geese might be difficult.

Last edited:

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious if it works on birds at all. I'd be highly suspect that they only added cats and dogs to the machine learning for this first iteration.

Youtube/Birds doesn't work.

This guy tested on several animals:

https://www.dpreview.com/members/7269532923/galleries

Animal Eye AF struggles with
1. Elephant eyes,
2. Spotted Deer eyes

has no problems with
1. Leopard/ Cat eyes
2 Monkey eyes
3 Owl eyes
4. Hawk eyes

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
well since these are iterative algorithms they'll get better over time. i'm expecting the Fuji XT3 human eye AF to be improved on version 3.0 as well. and i see no reason for them to not be able to develop animal eye AF either.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well since these are iterative algorithms they'll get better over time. i'm expecting the Fuji XT3 human eye AF to be improved on version 3.0 as well. and i see no reason for them to not be able to develop animal eye AF either.
Fuji dropped a timetable of "3 years" in their latest interview for machine learning AF. fuuuuuuuuuuuu

I have a ton of geese and cormorants around to test on, looking forward to it.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how I want to set up the full time EyeAF on my R3. I'm not sure I want it tied to my shutter button in any way (which I think is the default mapping), there are plenty of times I don't want to use EyeAF so I could see that being annoying.

Oct 25, 2017
3 years is just in time for the XT-4.

Which maybe I'll be able to afford then.
What even could the X-T4 add to make it worth getting over an X-T3 at this point?
I'm not sure how I want to set up the full time EyeAF on my R3. I'm not sure I want it tied to my shutter button in any way (which I think is the default mapping), there are plenty of times I don't want to use EyeAF so I could see that being annoying.
Full time Eye AF would drive me crazy and I would definitely turn that off.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bind a button to turn off face detect priority in AF. Not sure why you would ever want face detection but not eye detection, and that's all this update did: it made the AF automatically try to go for the eye when face detect AF is enabled.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bind a button to turn off face detect priority in AF. Not sure why you would ever want face detection but not eye detection, and that's all this update did: it made the AF automatically try to go for the eye when face detect AF is enabled.
I guess let me be more specific. I typically use back button AF via AF-ON, and have the center "ok" button (inside the rotating wheel) as my EyeAF button. That way I can use "backbutton" EyeAF when I want to, and normal backbutton AF with the AF-ON button when I don't.

Not sure I'd even want to change that mapping based on this update.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess let me be more specific. I typically use back button AF via AF-ON, and have the center "ok" button (inside the rotating wheel) as my EyeAF button. That way I can use "backbutton" EyeAF when I want to, and normal backbutton AF with the AF-ON button when I don't.

Not sure I'd even want to change that mapping based on this update.

Ahh, OK. Yeah, luckily you can turn Face Priority in AF off and still have Eye AF bound to a specific key to trigger it just when you want to.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ahh, OK. Yeah, luckily you can turn Face Priority in AF off and still have Eye AF bound to a specific key to trigger it just when you want to.
Got it. Sounds like all I really stand to gain from this FW is the animal version of EyeAF. It's a bummer that you have to select Human or Animal in the menu instead of it being auto-sensing, guessing that's a limitation of the cpu.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got it. Sounds like all I really stand to gain from this FW is the animal version of EyeAF. It's a bummer that you have to select Human or Animal in the menu instead of it being auto-sensing, guessing that's a limitation of the cpu.

Yeah, I figured that would be the limitation. Is it possible to bind the selection to the Function menu or a custom key?

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the discreteness of it and most of my photos in general are snapshots. That lens is amazing, Ricoh files are easier to process since they come out as DNGs. For Fuji RAF's I need to do the extra step of putting them through Iradient X-Transformer. Only thing holding me back is no built in OVF like the old film GRs has. It's personal reasons entirely. Both are amazing cameras.