• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
damn it sony get your shit together
2r3Xmnu.jpeg

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Fuji dropped a timetable of "3 years" in their latest interview for machine learning AF. fuuuuuuuuuuuu

I have a ton of geese and cormorants around to test on, looking forward to it.
Makes sense, they have to get a chip, program or license libraries, these things take time. But as long as they have it in the pipeline.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I like the discreteness of it and most of my photos in general are snapshots. That lens is amazing, Ricoh files are easier to process since they come out as DNGs. For Fuji RAF's I need to do the extra step of putting them through Iradient X-Transformer. Only thing holding me back is no built in OVF like the old film GRs has. It's personal reasons entirely. Both are amazing cameras.
The 28mm angle of view is pretty nice as well. It's more about what feels better and will make you get out there more.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Pretty impressed with XT3 dynamic range and CaptureOne:
Before:
DSCF3916 by TIKI, on Flickr
After:
DSCF3916_1 by TIKI, on Flickr

Fact is this was an unplanned throwaway, frustration from not being able to capture the willow tree to my liking and pointing at the distance and clicking the shutter, without realizing there is a portrait there.

Before:
DSCF3903 by TIKI, on Flickr
After:
DSCF3903_1 by TIKI, on Flickr

Again, trying to capture the amazing nature of the weeping willow in the breeze, but getting stuck out there in harsh daylight without an ND filter (or tripod). I mean, I typically don't carry too much things at all. But CaptureOne enabled me to get this into a pretty decent shape. I'm definitely going back to this spot later with an ND filter and a tripod to do a long exposure of this tree. It's bafflingly gorgeous.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
It works fine. I'm just worried about the weather sealing. The part that touches the front element is intact, just the ring is cracked.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
You could try dabbing a bit of some sort of sealant on there, like wood sealant, just a touch obviously. But that's just an idea.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I've thought about that. I'm going to take it into a local shop and see what they have to say. I'm definitely going to carry my spare UV filter with me when I'm using that lens!

What do you have to say now, UV filter people?

Oct 25, 2017
I've thought about that. I'm going to take it into a local shop and see what they have to say. I'm definitely going to carry my spare UV filter with me when I'm using that lens!

What do you have to say now, UV filter people?
Drop that bad probably wouldn't have saved the lens even with a UV filter in it to be honest. Not to mention you would have a broken filter jammed into the lens.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say I would never let my kid hold my lenses.

It's complicated. My fault but my daughter launched my camera off of a surface on accident. It flew like three feet forward fell about four feet down on to concrete. She wasn't holding the lens.

The lens bounced off of the lens hood and the stress cracked the ring.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I'll just echo this. It would only have added to the issues.
As it is, like, what's actually wrong?

Filter ring is cracked, still usable though.

The ribbed ring that surrounds the glass is cracked (see example below). The crack is close to the lens but it appears that it's really a stress as it gets closer to the filter ring because I can't feel any break when I run my nail across it. The filter ring is fine and I'll be able to place a filter on it no problem. It may be some super small thing that I'll forget all about in the coming decade or it will allow moisture in and I'll have to pony up the dough to get it fixed.

60mm-front.jpg

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
That was an incredibly well done video. I'm not interested in either camera but I watched the whole thing just because of how well it was put together. Almost no voice over, tons of sample pics...a true rarity these days.
BUT before we get into the video make sure to like, comment, subscribe, hit the notification bell, check the affiliated links, and consider following us on Patreon where you can see our FULL thoughts

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Throw some superglue on that badboy and move on with life. I would suspect, however, that plastic piece is 1) easy to replace and 2) pretty cheap to fix.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I've been planning to pick up a nice camera for the past few years and I finally feel like it's time. I was leaning toward the a7iii but now I'm leaning more towards the X-T3 for the 4k60p. Do any of you have experience working with that setting? Any lens recommendations for the X-T3?

Oct 25, 2017
I've been planning to pick up a nice camera for the past few years and I finally feel like it's time. I was leaning toward the a7iii but now I'm leaning more towards the X-T3 for the 4k60p. Do any of you have experience working with that setting? Any lens recommendations for the X-T3?
Like I can recommend you some stuff, but you might hate me for them not being cheap. I'm pretty much the most consistent Sony and Fuji shooter in here. Also what specifically do you shoot? Also keep in mind some of the Fuji lenses aren't exactly great for video AF because they have a clunky transition that people complain about.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
What's your budget? I like the 2.8 16-55 personally so if you could swing that it will do a lot of what you need. It's usually around 850 I think used.
I'm flexible on budget. I'd rather not go overboard but that seems manageable. Is it comparable to owning a few lenses or would it be better to hit up the 35mm f2 and maybe the kit lens and/or something like the 56mm 1.2?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm flexible on budget. I'd rather not go overboard but that seems manageable. Is it comparable to owning a few lenses or would it be better to hit up the 35mm f2 and maybe the kit lens and/or something like the 56mm 1.2?
What is it that you're shooting. I wouldn't use the 16-55 for instances where I'd use the 56 1.2 for example. 16-55 is an all round good zoom for video work and event work, street photography if you're not comfortable with primes and the occasional portrait if you want something on the wider end and don't have a prime for it. 56 1.2 is a great portrait lens and for low light situations. I actually have the 35F2 and haven't used it for a year probably 50mm is not my favorite focal length at all, I prefer 35 (23mm) over it. The 35 is overall a very good lens, just not something I pack around these days and looking to trade it in.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
What is it that you're shooting. I wouldn't use the 16-55 for instances where I'd use the 56 1.2 for example. 16-55 is an all round good zoom for video work and event work, street photography if you're not comfortable with primes and the occasional portrait if you want something on the wider end and don't have a prime for it. 56 1.2 is a great portrait lens and for low light situations. I actually have the 35F2 and haven't used it for a year probably 50mm is not my favorite focal length at all, I prefer 35 (23mm) over it. The 35 is overall a very good lens, just not something I pack around these days and looking to trade it in.
I would be using it for video mostly and wouldn't really need the 56, It's just when I was looking at their lenses it seemed really cool. Usually it takes me a long time to pull the trigger on gear (mostly music) because I never want to make the "wrong" decision. It seems like the a7iii is more popular and so it makes me feel a little more nervous about the XT3 when they're both probably dynamite.

Edit:

Also it's difficult to find trustworthy perspective because a lot of the people I've reached out to really only use one system. I don't know anyone who uses Fuji personally, not for video anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I would be using it for video mostly and wouldn't really need the 56, It's just when I was looking at their lenses it seemed really cool. Usually it takes me a long time to pull the trigger on gear (mostly music) because I never want to make the "wrong" decision. It seems like the a7iii is more popular and so it makes me feel a little more nervous about the TX3 when they're both probably dynamite.
Both cameras are great. If I didn't enjoy working with 42mp images so much I'd get an A7III, the X-T3 is perfectly fine though. The video quality is excellent along with the photo quality.
Some of my more recent Fuji captures:
XT038194 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT036481 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT036695 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT036659 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Granted this being said I've been shooting on my A7RII more than my X-T3 these days, but both are great cameras.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Both cameras are great. If I didn't enjoy working with 42mp images so much I'd get an A7III, the X-T3 is perfectly fine though. The video quality is excellent along with the photo quality.
Some of my more recent Fuji captures:
XT038194 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT036481 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT036695 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT036659 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Granted this being said I've been shooting on my A7RII more than my X-T3 these days, but both are great cameras.
That last one is a banger. Thanks for all your help. Looked through some of your other shots and really liked them as well.

Oct 25, 2017
That last one is a banger. Thanks for all your help. Looked through some of your other shots and really liked them as well.
Thanks, I think as long as you're not doing landscape work with a lot of greens the Fuji should be fine. I love both though. Menelaus and I are pretty much Fuji to Sony converts though we switched for different reasons. So pretty much ask us for both sides. nitewulf has great advice too though as a Fuji shooter.

Oct 25, 2017
On the other side of the coin I switched from Sony to Fuji, having gotten fed up with Sony menus and general... cumbersome operations. I felt like I needed to change settings too often with a Sony camera and never really knew where to look for shit in their menus. Fuji? Diaaaaaals.

Oct 25, 2017
On the other side of the coin I switched from Sony to Fuji, having gotten fed up with Sony menus and general... cumbersome operations. I felt like I needed to change settings too often with a Sony camera and never really knew where to look for shit in their menus. Fuji? Diaaaaaals.
I don't change stuff that often actually. I pretty much have most of what I need to change up just mapped to face buttons. My only bad menu dive seems to be the format card option. Though I'll admit the second gen bodies are a bit of a nightmare ergonomically. I like both manufacturers for different reasons, but I'll admit it's easier/funner to shoot on Fuji. Though it's not much of a hinderance to me since I'm starting to use the A7R2 for events more these days within reason.