• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
First of all I'll post this article as a fairly succinct summary of the best current mirrorless cameras.
https://shotkit.com/best-mirrorless...k_ipFXknY4oBLtzlAtou4ugSnqx_-I-a72PEwF9V6XXd0

As JadedWriter mentioned, I do shoot Fuji, I can chime in on Fuji, but I have no real experience with a Sony body so it would be unfair for me to compare them.

The moment I held the XT3 in my hands, it was magic. I mean I did learn on film cameras, so there was that familiarity to the older Yashika or Nikon bodies that I learned with. But there's something to be said about split second decision making and switching settings on the fly and taking photos. Or even pre-judging the exposure and taking photos. And the film simulation modes are just wonderful, you can't really touch them. They are great. I don't do video, so I can't weigh in there, but for street and travel, the XT3 is probably the best camera out there. And since it's APS-C, it's also great for sports and wildlife, as you can use the crop factor to your advantage. The AF is very good, and it's very fast. And the focus peaking is very good so you can use vintage manual lenses quite well.

I travel a lot, and I like to mix in with people, drink, get involved with things. I don't wanna worry about equipment. I just wanna take photos. The XT3 allows me to do that.

So some diverse mix of shots:

DSCF4145 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF4204_1 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF2095E by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1121 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1514 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1635 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF2963E by TIKI, on Flickr

Bonus, on a $30 manual focus Minolta:

DSCF2694E by TIKI, on Flickr

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On that budget (or even 2-3x that budget) I'd go Fuji and never look back.

While I do shoot Sony currently, there is nothing that I enjoy about doing so save for the stellar auto focus. I feel like good shots are luckily captured instead of carefully crafted for some reason; I feel wholly disconnected from the art while shooting on Sony if that makes any sense.

There is, however, absolutely no comparison between Fuji and Sony sensors, and I shoot some fairly demanding things at times. Fuji RAWs are simply bad compared to Sony RAWs. That being said...for anyone but the most pixel peeping snobs (me), Fuji still gives you more camera than you will ever use, and the quality is good enough to give you 24x36 prints with ease.

The used gear market for Fuji is much better and cheaper to get a wider variety of lenses. Get a Fuji.

Oct 25, 2017
On that budget (or even 2-3x that budget) I'd go Fuji and never look back.

While I do shoot Sony currently, there is nothing that I enjoy about doing so save for the stellar auto focus. I feel like good shots are luckily captured instead of carefully crafted for some reason; I feel wholly disconnected from the art while shooting on Sony if that makes any sense.

There is, however, absolutely no comparison between Fuji and Sony sensors, and I shoot some fairly demanding things at times. Fuji RAWs are simply bad compared to Sony RAWs. That being said...for anyone but the most pixel peeping snobs (me), Fuji still gives you more camera than you will ever use, and the quality is good enough to give you 24x36 prints with ease.

The used gear market for Fuji is much better and cheaper to get a wider variety of lenses. Get a Fuji.
Why do I always feel like the only person that doesn't hate shooting on Sony. Fuji and Sony feel different, but I've been shooting Sony often enough to the point where it's not that bothersome. I can't say I feel like I'm disconnected from the process.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
First of all I'll post this article as a fairly succinct summary of the best current mirrorless cameras.
https://shotkit.com/best-mirrorless...k_ipFXknY4oBLtzlAtou4ugSnqx_-I-a72PEwF9V6XXd0

As JadedWriter mentioned, I do shoot Fuji, I can chime in on Fuji, but I have no real experience with a Sony body so it would be unfair for me to compare them.

The moment I held the XT3 in my hands, it was magic. I mean I did learn on film cameras, so there was that familiarity to the older Yashika or Nikon bodies that I learned with. But there's something to be said about split second decision making and switching settings on the fly and taking photos. Or even pre-judging the exposure and taking photos. And the film simulation modes are just wonderful, you can't really touch them. They are great. I don't do video, so I can't weigh in there, but for street and travel, the XT3 is probably the best camera out there. And since it's APS-C, it's also great for sports and wildlife, as you can use the crop factor to your advantage. The AF is very good, and it's very fast. And the focus peaking is very good so you can use vintage manual lenses quite well.

I travel a lot, and I like to mix in with people, drink, get involved with things. I don't wanna worry about equipment. I just wanna take photos. The XT3 allows me to do that.

So some diverse mix of shots:

DSCF4145 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF4204_1 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF2095E by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1121 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1514 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1635 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF2963E by TIKI, on Flickr

Bonus, on a $30 manual focus Minolta:

DSCF2694E by TIKI, on Flickr

Thank you for posting this! Really appreciate that birb shot.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just read about iOS 13 likely gaining mouse support...the iPad Pro with LR Mobile could actually become a VERY decent editing platform. It currently has healing masks but it's very hard to use because you can't see what you're masking while doing it (finger is blocking it).

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
X-T3 FW 3.00 is out including much improved EyeAF (per Fuji). You can also now update the camera from the iOS app!

New features guide: http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x...1.2035496834.1555293190-2104643444.1554134359

https://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt3/index.html

Nice. This is the second major update that claims to improve Eye AF, right? The last one seemed like a big improvement from the videos I saw of it. Fuji works fast.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain why Fuji has issues with greens/foliage for the layman?
X-Trans pixel arrangement + Adobe's shitty demoisaicing engine on files with that arrangement basically. Capture One handles it considerably better. I'm inclined to think the issue is MORE on Adobe since the newer Bayer sensor Fujis don't process all that much better in LR.

If you let Fuji create the JPEG for you in camera, you don't get the foliage issues.

I'm still totally on the fence about Sony long term. While I adore the 100-400, it's just wildly uncomfortable to use on the A7 body. The Alpha ergos are a real pain point for me, but I'm not ready to grip it since that's major overkill. I also have a little hesitation to just carry the Sony on me around the city since it's so expensive, vs a Fuji that is a third the value.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I gotta shake my head about Canon at this point. Though something like a 24-70mm f/2 zoom has always been a point of lust for me which they basically have now. So that and a decent body would be a great 6K wedding and indoor events camera for me. Too bad most my friends are married....and the heft doesn't make sense for casual use at all. But that's a hell of a lens.

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta shake my head about Canon at this point. Though something like a 24-70mm f/2 zoom has always been a point of lust for me which they basically have now. So that and a decent body would be a great 6K wedding and indoor events camera for me. Too bad most my friends are married....and the heft doesn't make sense for casual use at all. But that's a hell of a lens.
The 28-70 F2 is a great lens that most people can't afford. Would love to own it, would not want it in my camera bag or hanging off my shoulder, would not want to invest in Canon anything to own it. That is definitely not a street photography lens just like 70-200's are not street photography lenses to me these days. I'm mostly on primes unless I'm in a park since I think the zooms stick out way too much.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah the lighter and non obvious it is, the better it is for street. Big ass white lenses are definitely not that.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the lighter and non obvious it is, the better it is for street. Big ass white lenses are definitely not that.
Like I will at some point use a 135GM for street, but that's probably the biggest I'd go, granted I mainly use the Fuji for street photography these days. I have used 24-70's for street, but it's really not on the regular.

Oct 25, 2017
X-T3 locked up during an event just cuz...I even have the new update in it. Why do Fuji's just randomly lock up? I'm going to assume it's the update since I believe it's been rock solid till today. *Looks at shots off my A7RII from the event I finished shooting about 20 minutes ago* Fuck any YouTuber that states the Sony's are not pro level cameras. That is all. You can whine about camera feel and all that other crap, but the camera's in general deliver.

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Definitely not acceptable, I would complain to Fuji. Did it totally crash or once reset it was fine?

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not acceptable, I would complain to Fuji. Did it totally crash or once reset it was fine?
I had to take off the grip and take out the battery. I have had lock ups since the X-T2 days. I'm either too demanding or it's something specific to Fuji. This was at Fuji probably a month ago due to me having battery grip issues since the tray got fucked up from a drop (they replaced the grip for free).

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh lord, there's now an FE Mitakon 50/.95

Seems like getting anything in focus with that thing wide open would be a nightmare, especially with Sony's meh focus peaking.

Fortunately it's $800 so no impulse purchase from me on that. Still very curious about the Fuji variant though, love what I've seen in here from it so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh lord, there's now an FE Mitakon 50/.95

Seems like getting anything in focus with that thing wide open would be a nightmare, especially with Sony's meh focus peaking.

Fortunately it's $800 so no impulse purchase from me on that. Still very curious about the Fuji variant though, love what I've seen in here from it so far.
I am so lens picky with my purchases that it's not even on my radar. That's $800 closer to a GM that I actually want and can actually use for event photography.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Actually the F2s are faster because they are newer....faster in the AF sense. I'll possibly get the 23mm f/1.4 current version anyway as it'll get me the one stop at the end of the day, and I do a lot of low light stuff...but I'd wait till the MK2 versions of the 1.4 lenses are out in general, I'd expect those to be significantly faster in focusing. The F2s are very fast. And since the 35mm (50mm) length is boring to me, I'm heavily leaning towards the Mitakon as there's a lot of creative potential there (and the Fuji f/1.0 once it's out based on size....but I'll probably get it regardless as a trophy).

Oct 25, 2017
Actually the F2s are faster because they are newer....faster in the AF sense. I'll possibly get the 23mm f/1.4 current version anyway as it'll get me the one stop at the end of the day, and I do a lot of low light stuff...but I'd wait till the MK2 versions of the 1.4 lenses are out in general, I'd expect those to be significantly faster in focusing. The F2s are very fast. And since the 35mm (50mm) length is boring to me, I'm heavily leaning towards the Mitakon as there's a lot of creative potential there (and the Fuji f/1.0 once it's out based on size....but I'll probably get it regardless as a trophy).
I know the AF on those is faster, still not making me use the 35F2 more or wish my 23 1.4 was a 23 F2, or wish my 56 1.2 was the 50F2. The only one from that set I like is the 90. I'm not holding my breath waiting for mkII's of those either.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the pros of the Fujicrons are obvious: very lightweight, much faster AF (actually usable for video), cheaper, and weather resistant.

If those aren't important for you, then get the faster aperture versions for sure.

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be fine with the 35 F/2 for the time being. I'm mostly going to be doing video. Also I'm used to that focal length on crop sensors since I used heavily my Nikon 35mm F/1.8 on my D7100.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be fine with the 35 F/2 for the time being. I'm mostly going to be doing video. Also I'm used to that focal length on crop sensors since I used heavily my Nikon 35mm F/1.8 on my D7100.
I remember using the 50 1.8 on my D7100 as a beginner. I don't remember enjoying it for a bit. I could do it better now I would think, but settings wise and composition wise I was horrible.

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was a challenge using the 50mm on the D7100. Oh man, I love the noises it makes since I own the D version.

Nikon F4 with the 50mm 1.8 = 1980s electronic sounds haha. So good. 😂

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
I got older Nikon glass for my film cameras.

50mm 1.4 Non Ais
50mm 1.8 Ais
35mm 2.8 Non Ais
100mm 2.8 Ais

And some Sigma 2.8 zoom.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony A9 is back to being $1,000 off MSRP ($3,500) in the US, which means it would be a damn good time to pick up a used copy or put in an offer on Greentoe for those who are interested! I'm seeing one used "Very Good" condition model in stock at Amazon for $2,625!

Oct 25, 2017
Sony A9 is back to being $1,000 off MSRP ($3,500) in the US, which means it would be a damn good time to pick up a used copy or put in an offer on Greentoe for those who are interested! I'm seeing one used "Very Good" condition model in stock at Amazon for $2,625!
If only I had the money. I think I want to get a 24-70GM before I pick up a second Sony body and I'm still trying to figure out if I get that before or after the 135.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Fuji jumped ALL OVER the complaints about the X-T30's Q button. New FW today delays the button press and in June will have another FW where you can turn it off completely or turn it into an Fn button. Seems to be everyone's chief/only complaint about the body.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
On a body that small you REALLY don't want a button that's too easy to press. Thankfully Fuji seems like one of the few camera companies that can react with this kind of agility.

Phatmanny

Nov 14, 2017
Kind of a bummer thing to say in here, and maybe not the best place but I don't know what to do.

I have to sell my camera gear, x-t3 kit lens plus another lens for emergency money, and I have no idea how to do it without selling it for pocket change to a major website.

I didn't know eBay only lets you list up to 1000 dollars. Anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
What are the ideal settings for subject tracking (human lol) with a Fuji camera?

Total noob here with his X-T30. Liking it so far!

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a bummer thing to say in here, and maybe not the best place but I don't know what to do.

I have to sell my camera gear, x-t3 kit lens plus another lens for emergency money, and I have no idea how to do it without selling it for pocket change to a major website.

I didn't know eBay only lets you list up to 1000 dollars. Anyone have any advice on what I should do?
Make an account on Fred Miranda and sell there.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phatmanny I mean, also feel free to mention what you're selling with prices here too, people are always popping in and our looking for deals and recommendations.