• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found a buyer for my X100F, 1300 CAD. Deciding whether to pocket that change for a later camera purchase or get a Ricoh GR III. Also looking into the Leica D-Lux 7 and RX100 VA. I like compact point and shoots.

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like camera announcements are slowing down again, where's that pro APS-C or A7sIII, Sony?
Don't hold your breath. As I keep saying just buy something and shoot with it. Granted I'm sitting here waiting for an A7RIV to tank the price of the A7RIII, but I still have plenty of photography options. I'm just doing this trying to be fucking cheap. The problem with waiting for a new camera is that there's always a new camera...unless you're a Z camera where you're it until like 2020 at least.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Don't hold your breath. As I keep saying just buy something and shoot with it. Granted I'm sitting here waiting for an A7RIV to tank the price of the A7RIII, but I still have plenty of photography options. I'm just doing this trying to be fucking cheap. The problem with waiting for a new camera is that there's always a new camera...unless you're a Z camera where you're it until like 2020 at least.

I just spent all my money on bike equipment so the camera will have to wait anyway :P. And I'm glad I waited two months to buy a bike computer since new models got announced which fit my needs perfectly.

Oct 25, 2017
I just spent all my money on bike equipment so the camera will have to wait anyway :P. And I'm glad I waited two months to buy a bike computer since new models got announced which fit my needs perfectly.
Oh I know you spent your cash already. Just not really worth it sitting on your hands waiting for new camera announcements before you get something. Hell just wait for the A7RIV announcement and just get the A7RIII. I like EVF tech as well for example, but the one in my A7RII isn't even bad. Tech is great but I'm starting to find advancements to be hitting the wall as well.
Brand rep told me a7s3 is being "reworked". So probably aug/sept or December announcement
This is a long ass wait for a camera if one really needs a camera. The three months for August is sort of doable, but not the December. I'd pretty much just buy an A7III and call it a day to be honest unless I really needed 4K 60 or 4K 120 (which probably isn't happening for a bit). Then again I'm not that heavily a video guy even if I do shoot video for work. We just don't deal with 4K or the other frame rates hard core videographers care about.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got an unexpected positive hit with animal eyeAF today...a polyphemus moth's eyespot on its wing. It focused on the bottom right large one. Yet again, another impressive performance from the Canon 40/2 with AF-C on FW 3.0

Polyphemus moth by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
It's better that they delayed the a7iiis than to release it early and the tech on it lags behind after a year.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canon fixed the banding issue with the R but didn't bother to mention it in the patchnotes. Kind of shocking since this issue has plagued this sensor since the 5D4.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell. I may just bite the bullet and move over to Capture One if this becomes a real thing and they start forcing people to transition. I've got zero interest in Adobe's cloud storage.
This came up about 6 months ago on FM. I think Adobe is scraping people's cookies and offering certain plans based on cookie data, it's really scummy. I'm glad I'm locked in at 10/month because I get a ton of value from the LR/PS bundle. I use it multiple times a week even as a hobbyist.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure my IG post today hit the explore page because the stats on it are nuts. 23k views in under 2 hours. One of the most boring shots I've ever posted too, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Just pulled the trigger on a Z7 plus adapter and 50mm z lens. Super excited! Coming from a D800.

Wonderful timing on the new rebates.

Was playing with the Z6 yesterday at a Best Buy, holy moly that IBIS is crazy.

Last edited:

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just pulled the trigger on a Z7 plus adapter and 50mm z lens. Super excited! Coming from a D800.

Keep in mind the IBIS will be less effective on the Z7 because of the MP, but should still work well vs no IBIS at all.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017

I want the Z6 so badly after using it for a few hours but I don't want to dive into two ecosystems

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really trust PetaPixel as far as I can throw them, but the $10/month adobe plan for photographers might be going away.

https://petapixel.com/2019/05/02/adobes-10-photography-plan-gone-from-site-cheapest-is-20-month/
Lol, if they ever pull this shit I'll jus cancel and just sign in under my work email and just get it for free with like every app under the fucking sun.

Hope you enjoy it. For some odd reason I guess I just wanted a switch, but I still like Nikon when they're not making decisions that annoy me. Granted my switch was probably knee jerk as hell, but it only really impacted my wallet and not my photography. Also now that I think about it either way I'd be buying new glass. Some of Nikon's older F mount stuff is less sharp than some of the newer Z mount stuff by a very wide margin.

Oct 25, 2017
Hope you enjoy it. For some odd reason I guess I just wanted a switch, but I still like Nikon when they're not making decisions that annoy me. Granted my switch was probably knee jerk as hell, but it only really impacted my wallet and not my photography. Also now that I think about it either way I'd be buying new glass. Some of Nikon's older F mount stuff is less sharp than some of the newer Z mount stuff by a very wide margin.

Something about the mirrorless form factor combined with Nikon's ergonomics just really clicked with me when I played with the Z6 yesterday.

Yeah, plan is to retire my older D glass, my partner is inheriting my D800 so she'll find plenty of use for them.

I'll basically be rolling with my new 50mm z, the Sigma 35 ART (which I know you're feelings on, lol, though I think the z's focusing actually makes that moot!), the tokina 16-28 2.8, and still using my trusty Series E 75-150 AI-S lens and 180mm f2.8 AI-S. probably will pick up an 85 1.8g in the next couple months too.

After that my roadmap will probably be the 14-30 to replace the Tokina.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm never going to pay $20 for PS+Lightroom on top of Flickr Pro as an amateur, I'll stick with a discounted Capture One perpetual license, thank you very much :).

Oct 25, 2017
Something about the mirrorless form factor combined with Nikon's ergonomics just really clicked with me when I played with the Z6 yesterday.

Yeah, plan is to retire my older D glass, my partner is inheriting my D800 so she'll find plenty of use for them.

I'll basically be rolling with my new 50mm z, the Sigma 35 ART (which I know you're feelings on, lol, though I think the z's focusing actually makes that moot!), the tokina 16-28 2.8, and still using my trusty Series E 75-150 AI-S lens and 180mm f2.8 AI-S. probably will pick up an 85 1.8g in the next couple months too.

After that my roadmap will probably be the 14-30 to replace the Tokina.
What do you think my feelings are on the 35 Art?

Oct 25, 2017
General Sigma autofocus wonkiness.
My main Sigma fuck this shit complaints are aimed at the 18-35 Art and the 2.8 17-50 EX since those got very inaccurate for some reason. The 35 Art I have on the Sony, the FE version I actually like.
AR205870 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR203706 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR201816 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR206940 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
I actually defend the lens a lot on Fred Miranda actually.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG

Oh well. Right now I'm missing ultra-wide and telephoto. For telephoto, I was torn between the Canon 70-200 F/4L IS and the 70-300 f/4-5.6L is. After research, I'll probably buy the 70-200 because it seems better for traveling light. For ultra-wide, I'm looking into the 16-35 F/4L IS, also thinking more about lanscape and travel. This isn't for now anyway, just planning ahead. Looking into gear is surprisingly fun.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh well. Right now I'm missing ultra-wide and telephoto. For telephoto, I was torn between the Canon 70-200 F/4L IS and the 70-300 f/4-5.6L is. After research, I'll probably buy the 70-200 because it seems better for traveling light. For ultra-wide, I'm looking into the 16-35 F/4L IS, also thinking more about lanscape and travel. This isn't for now anyway, just planning ahead. Looking into gear is surprisingly fun.
Doesn't Tamron make an EF 150-600? That's probably the best bet for the price. 3 zoom travel kit with 16-35, 24-105, 150-600.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In theory, yes. But it's such a big behemoth that I don't know if I would actually carry it when I'm out and about.
The 70-200/4 is nice in that regard, it's a very light lens with great image quality, I never hesitated to throw it in my hiking bag.

37925623184_22ab89f8be_b.jpg

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
When I asked about the birds it's just that I looked through a windows while at work and saw a bird landing on a branch of a tree, but it's not like I would actually go out and take a lot of photos of just that all the time.

It's heavy use it would be for when I'm out and want something versatile but slightly longer than what I already have so the combination of weight and price made me more interested in the 70-200 F/4, since It seems practical enough even to only carry it depending on where I'm going.

These are my local prices (used):

- Sigma 150-600: 1.121 USD, 1930g
- Tamron 150-600: 1.308 USD, 1950g
- Canon 70-200: 990 USD, 760g
- Canon 70-300: 1.310 USD, 1050g
- Canon 100-400: 1.259 USD, 1380g

I have one of those superzooms, so I guess I could go out with it and see if that extra reach of those other lenses would actually be worth it for what I shoot.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
When I asked about the birds it's just that I looked through a windows while at work and saw a bird landing on a branch of a tree, but it's not like I would actually go out and take a lot of photos of just that all the time.

It's heavy use it would be for when I'm out and want something versatile but slightly longer than what I already have so the combination of weight and price made me more interested in the 70-200 F/4, since It seems practical enough even to only carry it depending on where I'm going.

These are my local prices (used):

- Sigma 150-600: 1.121 USD, 1930g
- Tamron 150-600: 1.308 USD, 1950g
- Canon 70-200: 990 USD, 760g
- Canon 70-300: 1.310 USD, 1050g
- Canon 100-400: 1.259 USD, 1380g

I have one of those superzooms, so I guess I could go out with it and see if that extra reach of those other lenses would actually be worth it for what I shoot.
If you have the 70 - 300 L in your budget then there's no point debating. Else, I had the original 70 - 300 non L lens, which is in MK2 iteration now, and is about $450 I believe. It's more than decent enough for casual use.
IMG_5821 by TIKI, on Flickr

IMG_5161 by TIKI, on Flickr

IMG_3498 by TIKI, on Flickr

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Ah well whatever you say Jaded about buying something now, deep down you know you'll be jealous next year when I'm shooting my A9II with 14bit 60MP raw shooting, 20fps burst, 8K video recording, 15 stops dynamic range, Future Eye Tracking with Arachnid Eye AF (it tears into the fabric of space to predict what people and giant spider monsters will do) all while relying on global electronic shutter.

Just kidding, but I feel like waiting a bit for that better EVF and A9 tracking to trickle down to the A7IV can't hurt. Not that buying the A7III right now would be any bad proposition. But like I waited with buying a new bike computer for two months to find something fits my needs, waiting can never hurt if you have some baseline you set for the bucks you want to spend.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah well whatever you say Jaded about buying something now, deep down you know you'll be jealous next year when I'm shooting my A9II with 14bit 60MP raw shooting, 20fps burst, 8K video recording, 15 stops dynamic range, Future Eye Tracking with Arachnid Eye AF (it tears into the fabric of space to predict what people and giant spider monsters will do) all while relying on global electronic shutter.

Just kidding, but I feel like waiting a bit for that better EVF and A9 tracking to trickle down to the A7IV can't hurt. Not that buying the A7III right now would be any bad proposition. But like I waited with buying a new bike computer for two months to find something fits my needs, waiting can never hurt if you have some baseline you set for the bucks you want to spend.
I usually just wait for deals at this point and not new tech unless it's something that makes sense. I'd get an A7II if the AF wasn't shit, just like how I'd get another A7RII if I wanted another Sony camera without an AF joystick. I'm mostly waiting on funds and to fill out my E mount ecosystem a bit more. Pretty much when I get the 24-70GM I'd start searching for another body to fill out my events coverage needs. Like I'm honestly just trying to figure out what the next thing I purchase will be. It's pretty much a toss up between the 135GM and the 24-70GM or finding a good deal on an A7III or A7RIII.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Keep in mind the IBIS will be less effective on the Z7 because of the MP, but should still work well vs no IBIS at all.
If you downsample the Z7 images to Z6 size, the effect of IBIS will be identical, and you still gain the huge megapixel count when not doing very long exposures with IBIS, so it's not like anything is lost vs. a Z6, the results will be equal or better no matter what.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I was leaning towards Slide Lite.
You have a light lens set up so the Slide Lite should be perfect. I have the Slide on my X-T3 and it's quite comfortable (probably overkill) and the Lite on my A7RII, it's mostly fine until I use the 70-200GM where I start wishing it was wider for weight distribution because it cuts into my neck/shoulder area a little.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Actually you bring up a good point. The thing is, I will definitely be building up my Fuji lens arsenal: 16mm f/1.4, then the 50-140mm....you think the Slide Lite won't cut it with the heavier lenses?