• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Not saying you can't make it work or get great results from them. Just that dollar for dollar, their offering in terms of functionality is terrible. In objective terms, they excel at nothing and cost more than everyone else that isn't super specialized. That said, I'm sure there are lots of people that love the feeling and simplicity they provide and don't like shooting with other cameras.
I think the whole thing depends on how much you care about your camera being as simplistic as possible. "I want my camera to be a camera and not a computer," there's your Leica crowd. I want the whole thing to make sense and dollar for dollar be a smart decision. I can basically learn my cameras pretty damn fast and then get used to them. How much complaining do I do regarding my A7RII compared to how much I did when I first started?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Leica is certainly a prestige brand, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way. That's why they even offer a "stealth" M body. Anyway, I like the -lux lenses, I just don't see why they can't offer AF in the M- mount. I think the Q is their best fit for a mainstream camera. But that still has issues that need to be addressed.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Finally selling my Ronin M.

Owned it for... 4 years? I might have used it 4 times. Going to get a Zhiyun Crane 2 or Weebill, save on space, set-up time, and maybe even use the thing on occasion!

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Leica is certainly a prestige brand, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way. That's why they even offer a "stealth" M body. Anyway, I like the -lux lenses, I just don't see why they can't offer AF in the M- mount. I think the Q is their best fit for a mainstream camera. But that still has issues that need to be addressed.

Honestly nothing beats their color science and lenses.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even see what he got banned for. The fuck he do now?
"Her "rape is sexy" comments, plus the fact that she comes across nuttier than a squirrel turd probably aren't helping her credibility case."
In the thread about the author who accused Trump of rape. So yikes. Gonna be honest, glad he was banned.

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I want to try out that Sigma 135mm 1.8. I want to take it out for a spin at a pick up soccer game lol. Totally for shit and giggles pretty much.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Got $800 cash for my Ronin M today. Only had it listed for maybe 3 hours on Craigslist/Facebook.

Now to get myself the Zhiyun Crane 2 or Weebill. They're packing the follow focus motor in with the Crane 2 right now on Amazon for $550, which is tempting.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
And now I sold my 35mm online! I'm still not sure if I order the RF 35/1.8 or the EF 35/1.4 II. 2/3 of a stop might be really useful in low light, but it costs the double!

I still have a couple of days to think about it because I have to wait for the payment process of the one I sold.

Edit: Going by dxomark, the 35/1.4 II is the second sharpest canon lens, only beaten by the 300/2.8. I found an used one for a reasonable price, so I'm probably going to buy it if it's on sale by the time I get the money.

Last edited:

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
Rumors say that Sony will finally release a 35mm 1.8. And Sigma will release a 35mm 1.2. That makes for A LOT of options for 35mm lenses for E-mount....

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rumors say that Sony will finally release a 35mm 1.8. And Sigma will release a 35mm 1.2. That makes for A LOT of options for 35mm lenses for E-mount....

Time to sell my Sony Zeiss 35mm f/1.4!

(or not... I think I'll wait for the actual announcement to see size/weight comparison at the very least).

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
And now I sold my 35mm online! I'm still not sure if I order the RF 35/1.8 or the EF 35/1.4 II. 2/3 of a stop might be really useful in low light, but it costs the double!

I still have a couple of days to think about it because I have to wait for the payment process of the one I sold.

Edit: Going by dxomark, the 35/1.4 II is the second sharpest canon lens, only beaten by the 300/2.8. I found an used one for a reasonable price, so I'm probably going to buy it if it's on sale by the time I get the money.
I had the MK1, it's a really good lens. But I heard the Sigma is sharper. The MK2 version might be better though.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I had the MK1, it's a really good lens. But I heard the Sigma is sharper. The MK2 version might be better though.

There are way too many people having problems with that Sigma 35mm lens (more than usual), and their techical support is lacking around here, so I don't want to risk it. I'll ended up buying the MK2 next week. 35mm was my most used lens, so I guess it's only logical that I get the best one that I can in this focal length.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
"Her "rape is sexy" comments, plus the fact that she comes across nuttier than a squirrel turd probably aren't helping her credibility case."
In the thread about the author who accused Trump of rape. So yikes. Gonna be honest, glad he was banned.
Whoops...

Just coming back to say I just bought a second X-T1 body for 290€, with all the accessories, and it's basically like new. Like Holy shit, the dude must have kept it in a fucking cradle and sung lullaby every night to keep it so pristine.

Now, for the 35mm F2 lens in silver, and this will be the ultimate street photography combo!

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
I rented the Sigma 135mm 1.8 and I'm finding that it has inconsistent focusing under low light. I went to a music venue last night and it was having a hard time tracking. Though the images look nice!

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Recovering from a hangover but still managed to get myself out of bed and went and bought the D750. God damn the picture quality is way better than I ever imagined. Decided to get it brand new instead of used, it was only 200€ more so not that big of a deal. Gonna take it out for a spin tomorrow, can't be arsed today since still feeling quite icky.

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I need to buy that 28-75 already.

Waiting on Sigma or Tamron to get a 70-200 2.8 out too.
I wanted to get the 28-75, but it wasn't wide enough. I did not want to get that and still have to get another zoom to bring me to 24mm, because that's a bag with 3 zooms and not enough room for any primes so I just got the 24-70GM. When every lens in your bag needs to serve a purpose and you have enough room for 3 lenses (4 if you cram it in) you start to get very picky with what you're purchasing. I have already did a shoot with a student with a shot that made into the magazine and top of tons of graduation video with that lens so it's a purchase that made sense. I'll probably get the 17-28 though at some point.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I wanted to get the 28-75, but it wasn't wide enough. I did not want to get that and still have to get another zoom to bring me to 24mm, because that's a bag with 3 zooms and not enough room for any primes so I just got the 24-70GM. When every lens in your bag needs to serve a purpose and you have enough room for 3 lenses (4 if you cram it in) you start to get very picky with what you're purchasing. I have already did a shoot with a student with a shot that made into the magazine and top of tons of graduation video with that lens so it's a purchase that made sense. I'll probably get the 17-28 though at some point.

For my needs the 28-75 would cover many of the lengths I tend to want in traditional, quickly executed video setups. I can easily picture packing my camera bag with the 17-28, the 28-75, and the 75-(175? 200?). The 28-75 clearly produces a great picture at 1080/4K and is fast enough at 2.8... and it's a good size too!

The fact it's $800-900 and not thousands of dollars makes it such a no brainier for so many people... It's no wonder Tamron increased the price. They literally can't keep the thing in stock.

I'll probably get it in early July. I'm not sold on the 17-28 yet, but the early buzz is great.

Oct 25, 2017
For my needs the 28-75 would cover many of the lengths I tend to want in traditional, quickly executed video setups. I can easily picture packing my camera bag with the 17-28, the 28-75, and the 75-(175? 200?). The 28-75 clearly produces a great picture at 1080/4K and is fast enough at 2.8... and it's a good size too!

The fact it's $800-900 and not thousands of dollars makes it such a no brainier for so many people... It's no wonder Tamron increased the price. They literally can't keep the thing in stock.

I'll probably get it in early July. I'm not sold on the 17-28 yet, but the early buzz is great.
The stock situation is also why I just got a used GM since I can never find one at B&H or Adorama or used without price gouging 90% of the time. 28 at the widest doesn't exactly suit my shooting style so it's definitely a "to each their own" kind of thing. Not to mention that my art director asked me to shoot wider once (on a shot I was 24 at pressed up against a book case so I could get the look I wanted) and I'm like "that Tamron would not be cutting it for me" so it's definitely a lens that that has a market, but I really don't think it's taking the place of the GM for some people. Also if Tamron made like a 75-150 I'd be pissed. I don't care about not getting 70, but that lost 25 or 50mm would be annoying for my events coverage. Also I don't want to pack around 3 zooms in my bag. I like having it at 2 zooms and 2 primes for just in case the environment gets too dark, which has happened before. Some of the graduations I recorded had me using the 85 1.8. Sometimes I'll compromise, but if I'm not liking what I have to compromise on I'll just spend on what I need. The 28-75 compromises ended up being a no from me. Once you figure out tax and such I pretty much paid $700 more for my GM over the Tamron and got a shit ton of use out of it the week I got it so it justified it's cost and existence for me.

Last edited:

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
So another bunch of Sigma E-Mount glass got leaked for July, including a 24-70.

Alpha Rumors:
In mid July Sigma will have a major announcement: For the first time they will announce lenses designed specifically for the Sony Full Frame Mirrorless system. These are the lenses:

35mm f/1.2
45mm f/2.8
12-24mm f/2.8 SAR
24-70mm f/2.8 (this lens will be available later after the release of the other three lenses)

Wish that patented Tamron 70-200 E-Mount would come out first...

Oct 25, 2017

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Yes. I have the 24-70 and 70-200GM's. These are bread and butter work horse lenses. They got me through graduation hell month so I swear by these things at this point, they're my trusty photographic and videographic firearms.

Wait wait... you own the GM 70-200!?

I must have overlooked the numerous times you've mentioned it to me in the last few pages of this thread. (=

Oct 25, 2017
Wait wait... you own the GM 70-200!?

I must have overlooked the numerous times you've mentioned it to me in the last few pages of this thread. (=
January 23, 2019:
AR202915 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
June 20, 2019:
AR202297 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Not to mention the headshots I did for work last week, that I can't put on here. No rental period is this long.
One of my first modeling sets with it:
AR203547 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR203767 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
It's a good lens.

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Looking for a new toy, mostly for "macro" closeups of flowers, insects etc, but also suitable for general use. I've narrowed my choice between these 2 lenses.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens

Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

The 50mm will be a bit more multi-purpose, but the 35 will focus closer.

That being said, a 35mm Macro is good for making things look larger than a 50mm, but you would need to get real close for the 35mm to give you satisfactory results. You'll probably end up spooking insects away with the 35mm or even casting shadows. You can get some macro tubes for the 50mm and play around with those, but you'll lose some sharpness and reliable autofocus speeds.

If you want to get some insect photography, I'd consider the 100mm L from Canon. I think it's brand new for $600-700 USD right now and it's a real work-horse. Sharp as sin and you won't have to get so close to the subjects. Plus, it's a great portrait lens.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
but you would need to get real close for the 35mm to give you satisfactory results. You'll probably end up spooking insects away with the 35mm or even casting shadows.

A very good point, that I had not really thought about... I have a hard enough time shooting birds at 200mm-300mm without spooking them!
See how much you can get this for either used or refurbished:
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens
I'd consider the 100mm L from Canon

Ok then, time to find some more pennies I guess. Thanks. ;)

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
A very good point, that I had not really thought about... I have a hard enough time shooting birds at 200mm-300mm without spooking them!

Ok then, time to find some more pennies I guess. Thanks. ;)

I've had that lens on my to-buy list for years. It's awesome. I actually love a wider macro for zany dolly work, too. Early Bill Pope/Sam Raimi stuff is a riot with a 24-35mm macro.

May 10, 2018
Well I think I'm finally about to dive in and get my 1st camera. I've had my eye on the Fuji X-T3 for a minute and think that's the one. I'm open to hearing any other suggestions or just general helpful tips.

Oct 25, 2017
Overall budget is $2000 and I don't have to worry about sales tax when ordering from B&H.

I've thought about the A7RII as well.
Both are really good. Probably look at the 24-105F4 used and call it a day. My flickr has like loads from both cameras.

X-T3 from today:
XT031922 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT031925 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT031928 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

A7RII from the last time I did street photography with it:
AR200547 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR200554 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR200463 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Like I recently had to get back into shooting on my X-T3 after getting the A7RII. Though keep in mind I use them both while photographing events for work, so I trust both. Probably not a combo I'll be using when I get a second Sony camera, but the combo works.

A7RII event shots:
AR202758 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR202728 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR202167 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR202258 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr