• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good question, and one I should probably give more thought too. I initially wanted to get out and start taking pics and see what I end up doing most.

Makes sense. I was just going to say that the X-T3 will be a better camera for fast action type photography. It's got faster continuous auto-focus with better coverage across the image frame, faster burst rate, and a deeper buffer so you can take more photos at once. The A7R II is definitely going to have better image quality, though, so if you're just doing more general photography with mostly still subjects, then it might be the better route.

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. I was just going to say that the X-T3 will be a better camera for fast action type photography. It's got faster continuous auto-focus with better coverage across the image frame, faster burst rate, and a deeper buffer so you can take more photos at once. The A7R II is definitely going to have better image quality, though, so if you're just doing more general photography with mostly still subjects, then it might be the better route.
Ok so like, I'm just posting these to remind people that the subject doesn't need to be stone stiff for the A7RII to capture them:
AR206506 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR206469 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR206471 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR207795 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
She couldn't even hold this pose.
AR207070 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
My only keeper from a burst but it got it.
AR206793 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Moving
AR204584 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Moving.
Reverend Al Sharpton by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Reverend Al Sharpton by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Passionate ass old dude giving a speech.

I'll agree the A7RII isn't a speed demon, but it's capable.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, for sure. I took tens of thousands of action shots on the A7R II, but I think you'll agree that the X-T3 is a lot more suited to the task of capturing fast action, especially for someone who is not as experienced of a photographer.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, for sure. I took tens of thousands of action shots on the A7R II, but I think you'll agree that the X-T3 is a lot more suited to the task of capturing fast action, especially for someone who is not as experienced of a photographer.
X-T3 honestly depends on the glass though, some of their lenses were not built for speedy AF acquisition. The 16-55 is fine, the 90 is mostly fine, the 50-140 is fine, the 23 1.4 is ok, the 56 is okish if it's in the mood to be. They really need to refresh some stuff. With Sony I think most of the stuff you can buy from the is good AF wise to the point where I think the only weak link on that front is the A7RII itself and my biggest complaint with the A7RII is just the lack of a joystick and even that's not keeping me from getting shots. As a newbie the X-T3 helps, as an experienced shooter as long as it's not rocketing around the screen you should be able to get at least 1-2 decent pics of it with the A7RII. Even Birders can use the A7RII so it's not that bad.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Sony event in two weeks, huh. Expected to reveal a new mid-entry camera. Wonder if it'll end up being their new APS-C model designed to compete with the XT-3.

May 10, 2018
Thanks for the help JadedWriter and Zefah. Decided on the X-T3. Got it with the 18-55mm kit lens from Amazon for $340 a month.

For now I'll just focus on learning the basics and getting out and taking pics. In the future I'll probably get a full frame if I feel the need to.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the help JadedWriter and Zefah. Decided on the X-T3. Got it with the 18-55mm kit lens from Amazon for $340 a month.

For know I'll just focus on learning the basics and getting out and taking pics. In the future I'll probably get a full frame if I feel the need to.
That is a great camera. I personally didn't like the image output on the X-T2 when I first got it till I got one of the primes. The 18-55 is quite fine, but I was coming off of the Nikon D810 and the 2.8 24-70 so the Fuji was coming off lacking, two years later with some good lenses and being used to working on the RAF files I'm very used to the system these days. I'm letting you know this now. Fuji tends to lean on the warm side so adjust your white balance to lean a little on the cooler side.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

For now I'll just focus on learning the basics and getting out and taking pics. In the future I'll probably get a full frame if I feel the need to.
Great system, as a newb that's a great camera to use. I just met a dude yesterday who stopped me and we had a conversation about the XT-3, and this is the third encounter within a month or so. You tend to get a lot of people asking questions and sharing experiences. If you have any specific questions about settings feel free to ask. The kit lens is great for a beginner as well, though I always say one should learn with primes.

Oct 25, 2017
Great system, as a newb that's a great camera to use. I just met a dude yesterday who stopped me and we had a conversation about the XT-3, and this is the third encounter within a month or so. You tend to get a lot of people asking questions and sharing experiences. If you have any specific questions about settings feel free to ask. The kit lens is great for a beginner as well, though I always say one should learn with primes.
So much this. I know a beginner that started out with a Tamron 18-300 and he can't compose to save his life.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
35 1.8 FE just announced

SEL35F18F-Sony-35mm-18.jpg

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Their design work is very... discreet. I don't love it but I haven't used a Sony lens so perhaps the ergonomics justify it? The lens is quite light as well which presumably limits the use of metals.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are sony's lenses so ugly

What is ugly about it? It looks like... a lens.

Anyway, I was hoping it would come in a bit lighter or smaller. It looks to be about the same size and weight as the 55mm f/1.8 Sony Zeiss, which isn't bad or anything, but I'll probably just stick with my 35mm f/2.8 and f/1.4 Sony Zeiss combo rather than consolidate to just this one.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
The Sigma Art lenses looks great. But scratches way too easily. Same with some FE lenses like the 55mm and 85mm 1.8.

Glad the GM isn't like that.

Oct 25, 2017
The Sigma Art lenses looks great. But scratches way too easily. Same with some FE lenses like the 55mm and 85mm 1.8.

Glad the GM isn't like that.
The coating is different. I think my 35 Art started showing scratches within the first month or some shit. I think with the GM's you have key them basically, though on my 70-200 there's like a rubbing mark on the front barrel or something.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These Sigma's have everything I would want from a ergonomic point of view. Aperture ring, AF hold button, and af/MF click/ de-click switches. Nice.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With that response, I've now got you pictured as a fixie bike-riding hipster cruising around with a manual focus Leica.
Why would a hipster be using a Leica? Too mainstream and expensive. Would have an old Zorki or Zenit camera instead.

Small, manual focus lenses with focus distance on them >>>>>>

Oct 25, 2017

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I think there will be a modular grip. But yeah, always trust Sigma to occasionally release a strange camera I will never see in the wild.😆

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would have some really cool niche if the lenses were more along the lines of the really thin or collapsible rangefinder lenses, but standard Sigma lenses?
Lul