• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Nikon Z-mount DX camera when?
They don't even have the lenses for this yet. They'd pretty much have to announce this and a 18-55, 18-105 and 70-300 type lens on the same day as the camera itself or include an adapter for this set with kit lenses. I know this is in the rumor mill, but honestly not anything I could see myself caring about. They'd have to aim at the lower end of the market and not where Fujifilm is already entrenched. Shit the lower end of mirrorless crop sensor is where the A6000 is.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
They don't even have the lenses for this yet. They'd pretty much have to announce this and a 18-55, 18-105 and 70-300 type lens on the same day as the camera itself or include an adapter for this set with kit lenses. I know this is in the rumor mill, but honestly not anything I could see myself caring about. They'd have to aim at the lower end of the market and not where Fujifilm is already entrenched. Shit the lower end of mirrorless crop sensor is where the A6000 is.

It's fairly obvious to anyone who reads anything you post that you are no longer get interested in Nikon products. That said, I assume that they announce the camera with a lens similar to the 16-80 2.8 to 4.0 and a couple DX primes.

I'd just get the non DX lenses though.

Oct 25, 2017
It's fairly obvious to anyone who reads anything you post that you are no longer get interested in Nikon products. That said, I assume that they announce the camera with a lens similar to the 16-80 2.8 to 4.0 and a couple DX primes.

I'd just get the non DX lenses though.
I mean considering my reluctance to get rid of my D810 and D4 that's not exactly what I'd call true. I shot my senior photographers retirement party on Tuesday on my D4, it's still an excellent camera and I still like the D810. I still check in on what Nikon does and it looks like they hit the 24-70 2.8S out of the park if if the Z cameras either drop heavily in price or the next batch are good it's a system I'd start looking into. I am cynical and a skeptic at times and just try to see things from as many different avenues as humanly possible. As a new buyer with actual money I'd just look at the Fuji mirrorless cameras before I'd look at a new Nikon DX system considering as a previous Nikon DX owner I didn't exactly like the native lens choices on that. With that being said I'd buy the Nikon DX mirrorless system before I'd buy Sony's crop sensor mirrorless system since they at the very least would hopefully revamp the 17-55 2.8 and add it onto that line. Now the everyday budget conscious person that doesn't even care about specs and just looks at price would just get an A6000 because it's a bargain bin, but still pretty good camera at this point. To put it succinctly I have Nikon mirrorless on a wait and see. I'm not an early adopter. Z7 body hits 1200 I'll buy it, that's why I got an A7RII, it was cheap, I was willing to experiment and I liked it...granted there's no vertical grip so ugggh.

Last edited:

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
Well... I just put in an order for an X-T2 with the 18-55mm lens.

(Now I just gotta tell the wife)

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Such a bad feeling: I've been looking back at old photos taken with my NEX-6, and I can't help but think they look better than those taken on the x100f I replaced it with. :(

Oct 25, 2017
What are people expecting from Sony in terms of bodies?
Everybody's expecting the A7SIII, which is the line so niche that its predecessor still costs more than an A7III and as much as an A7RIII, while being less capable as an actual camera. I have a feeling that the A7SIII will be a great camera but that demographic will still find shit to bitch about it. I just want something that will drop the used prices on the A7RIII before I purchase one.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Everybody's expecting the A7SIII, which is the line so niche that its predecessor still costs more than an A7III and as much as an A7RIII, while being less capable as an actual camera. I have a feeling that the A7SIII will be a great camera but that demographic will still find shit to bitch about it. I just want something that will drop the used prices on the A7RIII before I purchase one.

I think most people are expecting another APS-C body with the new Sony battery standard.

A7Siii rumors seem to imply it'll be announced later this year. If it hits with 10 bit video and that battery battery, the FZ100, then I personally would be happy. I own an A7S mk. I and use it regularly for video. The A7S line is super popular on doc and indie film sets.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I think most people are expecting another APS-C body with the new Sony battery standard.

A7Siii rumors seem to imply it'll be announced later this year. If it hits with 10 bit video and that battery battery, the FZ100, then I personally would be happy. I own an A7S mk. I and use it regularly for video. The A7S line is super popular on doc and indie film sets.
A7SII is great as a video camera but not as a hybrid camera. I need something great at both and something I can take to a head shot shoot and produce a file big enough for my ad designers to edit, that's not the A7SII. This is probably more of the reason why I see the A7R series as my preferred Sony line.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
A7SII is great as a video camera but not as a hybrid camera. I need something great at both and something I can take to a head shot shoot and produce a file big enough for my ad designers to edit, that's not the A7SII. This is probably more of the reason why I see the A7R series as my preferred Sony line.

Yeah, I've probably taken 50 photos on my A7S for that reason.

Make no mistake, it can take some nice pictures, but the resolution just isn't there for 2019's standards.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I'm not interested in Sony APS-C. I wanna know the A7S3 specs basically, but A7R3 is more than good enough, if the A7S3 gets a MP boost to something that makes sense, otherwise I'll get a A7R3 as my secondary camera.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm not interested in Sony APS-C. I wanna know the A7S3 specs basically, but A7R3 is more than good enough, if the A7S3 gets a MP boost to something that makes sense, otherwise I'll get a A7R3 as my secondary camera.

I keep wondering if the A7Siii will record 6K. It's not that I want 6K, but it just seems like a very Sony thing to do. I'd prefer better 4K recording (10bit, higher frame rate options, better heat management, etc) over a resolution I won't need for at least another 5 years.

That might result in a higher MP count for photos, too, considering the science they've used to achieve the super-clean video of the A7S i+ii.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've probably taken 50 photos on my A7S for that reason.

Make no mistake, it can take some nice pictures, but the resolution just isn't there for 2019's standards.
I still and currently am shooting my D4 and D810 for an event I'm doing and it's still one of my favorite event combos. Just speed wise the A7SII has to be a shit show. From what I've read it's not for these types of things.

Last edited:

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I still and currently am shooting my D4 and D810 for an event I'm doing and it's still one of my favorite event combos. Just speed wise the A7SII has to be a shit show. From what I've read it's not for these types of things.

Yeah, the A7S is about as specialty as it gets. Taking a photo on the Mk. I sounds like you're loading a handgun.

It's a video-centric mirrorless if there ever was one. I don't think anyone would ever advocate for the A7S i or ii as a photo-first camera, but the low-light sensitivity in those cameras is un-fucking-believable. There's a reason you see those bodies used on $20+million budgeted feature films.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the A7S is about as specialty as it gets. Taking a photo on the Mk. I sounds like you're loading a handgun.

It's a video-centric mirrorless if there ever was one. I don't think anyone would ever advocate for the A7S i or ii as a photo-first camera, but the low-light sensitivity in those cameras is un-fucking-believable. There's a reason you see those bodies used on $20+million budgeted feature films.
Yeah I would've wanted the A7SII before I learned how the Sony lines work. I'm not in the demographic for it. The low light looks great but the AF for event photography most likely isn't snappy enough to be any use I can imagine. Also yeah 12mp isn't what it used to be. I got a file off a D700 last week to be used for a video and I was not happy at what it looked like. It's one of those things that only I care about but it looked flat compared to stuff off of my A7RII and D810.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA

It's really hard to say. My main points of comparison are two separate trips to japan, where the quality of my work is heavily weighted toward the first one. It could just be that I didn't give myself enough time to acclimate to the camera—I had been using that NEX-6 for years and had gotten incredibly comfortable using it—because I came back with a depressing lack of good shots. There were some perfect moments I really flubbed, too. I guess I just need to shoot more with it? I miss having an articulating LCD, and the NEX was so perfectly ergonomic that i'd usually just walk around with it sans camera strap, which was really freeing.

I never found the X100F to be particularly sharp, tbh. That lens really needs an update.

You think so? I was thinking I had maybe gotten too lazy with the camera's automatic settings.

Oct 25, 2017
It's really hard to say. My main points of comparison are two separate trips to japan, where the quality of my work is heavily weighted toward the first one. It could just be that I didn't give myself enough time to acclimate to the camera—I had been using that NEX-6 for years and had gotten incredibly comfortable using it—because I came back with a depressing lack of good shots. There were some perfect moments I really flubbed, too. I guess I just need to shoot more with it? I miss having an articulating LCD, and the NEX was so perfectly ergonomic that i'd usually just walk around with it sans camera strap, which was really freeing.

You think so? I was thinking I had maybe gotten too lazy with the camera's automatic settings.
Sounds like you're not used to the camera. If you wanted an articulating screen you should have gotten something else. I didn't get used to my A7RII for example for about a month of continuous shooting. Took me a bit to like my X-T2 coming off of my Nikon D810 as well. Camera transitions are not instant to say the least. Whenever I get something new I take the time to get used to it first before I any sort of shooting that's actually worth something. If you're fumbling around while shooting you're not at one with it yet. You'll know when you are when it doesn't feel like you're being inhibited by it. Give it some time and if you still aren't comfortable with it get something else.

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I'm realizing something, and I want to try this out later... but I think the grey Peak Design bags might be just about the right shade of grey to be used as a white balance reference.
I'll try this out later, but that'd be pretty awesome if it's a pretty accurately neutral grey, or just *barely* off by little enough to not notice.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had the X100F for a good while and I thought the photos looked great. The C-AF capabilities were just not up to snuff for my usage, though. Got a lot of out of focus shots using it despite getting focus confirmation from the camera. I think the next model based on the X-T3 with an improved lens will be a real winner, though.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Sounds like you're not used to the camera. If you wanted an articulating screen you should have gotten something else. I didn't get used to my A7RII for example for about a month of continuous shooting. Took me a bit to like my X-T2 coming off of my Nikon D810 as well. Camera transitions are not instant to say the least. Whenever I get something new I take the time to get used to it first before I any sort of shooting that's actually worth something. If you're fumbling around while shooting you're not at one with it yet. You'll know when you are when it doesn't feel like you're being inhibited by it. Give it some time and if you still aren't comfortable with it get something else.

I totally get that, and I knew what I'd be losing when I got the X100F—I just didn't realize how much I relied on screen articulation until I lost it. But you're also right that I haven't put the time in with this new camera to really judge it yet.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I totally get that, and I knew what I'd be losing when I got the X100F—I just didn't realize how much I relied on screen articulation until I lost it. But you're also right that I haven't put the time in with this new camera to really judge it yet.
Articulating screen is something you don't realize you need, till you do. I was overall extremely used to it since the Olympus OMD, and the XT-3 takes it a step farther. I mean I mostly shoot through the EVF, I hate using the rear LCD for taking shots, but those few occasions when I do, low to the ground stuff, vertical landscapes...and it turns out a fantastic shot...I am really glad to have it, cause without it, I wouldn't even actually be able to take those shots.

Regarding your dilemma, I think it's the usage. That lens is probably very similar to the 23mm f2 on the X mount, and as such probably a bit soft wide open, but for most scenarios for the kind of camera it is, ie, street/travel, you'd be shooting at f4-f8, and it should be tack sharp. I think the X series may be more intuitive, as I bought mine just before going to Thailand, and came away with some very good shots. But even then, prior to leaving, I deep dived into the manual, set everything up the way I'd like and read a lot of stuff on settings. Then practised a lot just taking test shots. Even then, I ended up making some dumb decisions, like shooting only JPGs and keeping it at 'Velvia' at all times. Still amazed at many of the shots, and glad though as a new camera always takes time, and this one actually enabled me to take shots that I was happy with. I mean any point and shoot style travel cam will do well at general stuff, but this is high quality.

So yeah, you gotta learn it. It's a well rated camera, there's gotta be a reason for that right? But if the articulating screen is a must, then I highly recommend selling it and going for an XT30 w/ the 23mm lens. It tilts two way though, not 3 way like the XT3.

Oct 25, 2017
Articulating screen is something you don't realize you need, till you do. I was overall extremely used to it since the Olympus OMD, and the XT-3 takes it a step farther. I mean I mostly shoot through the EVF, I hate using the rear LCD for taking shots, but those few occasions when I do, low to the ground stuff, vertical landscapes...and it turns out a fantastic shot...I am really glad to have it, cause without it, I wouldn't even actually be able to take those shots.

Regarding your dilemma, I think it's the usage. That lens is probably very similar to the 23mm f2 on the X mount, and as such probably a bit soft wide open, but for most scenarios for the kind of camera it is, ie, street/travel, you'd be shooting at f4-f8, and it should be tack sharp. I think the X series may be more intuitive, as I bought mine just before going to Thailand, and came away with some very good shots. But even then, prior to leaving, I deep dived into the manual, set everything up the way I'd like and read a lot of stuff on settings. Then practised a lot just taking test shots. Even then, I ended up making some dumb decisions, like shooting only JPGs and keeping it at 'Velvia' at all times. Still amazed at many of the shots, and glad though as a new camera always takes time, and this one actually enabled me to take shots that I was happy with. I mean any point and shoot style travel cam will do well at general stuff, but this is high quality.

So yeah, you gotta learn it. It's a well rated camera, there's gotta be a reason for that right? But if the articulating screen is a must, then I highly recommend selling it and going for an XT30 w/ the 23mm lens. It tilts two way though, not 3 way like the XT3.
Unless you do a ton of landscapes I wouldn't be "velvia at all times" since it's my least favorite film sim. I shoot mostly with Classic Chrome and Provia.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered nearly 5 grand worth of fuji stuff last night during the prime day price glitch. One of the lenses shipped this morning, holy shit. Anyone else get in?

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
a ton of camera gear was showing up as 98.84 after prime day discount. And by a ton I mean a shitload of bodies and lenses across all manus.

I bought an x-h1/xf 16-55 f2.8 bundle - 2400 bucks but 101 usd with next day shipping lol (the lens in the bundle actually shipped this morning!!!)
also a xf 50-140mm f2.8 with 1.4x teleconverter - 2000 bucks but 101 usd with next day shipping (this hasn't shipped yet)

Pretty sure im not getting any of it except for the lens that already shipped, but i've already made out like a bandit.

Oct 25, 2017
a ton of camera gear was showing up as 98.84 after prime day discount. And by a ton I mean a shitload of bodies and lenses across all manus.

I bought an x-h1/xf 16-55 f2.8 bundle - 2400 bucks but 101 usd with next day shipping lol (the lens in the bundle actually shipped this morning!!!)
also a xf 50-140mm f2.8 with 1.4x teleconverter - 2000 bucks but 101 usd with next day shipping (this hasn't shipped yet)

Pretty sure im not getting any of it except for the lens that already shipped, but i've already made out like a bandit.
I have this stuff already but damn that is good. Granted I don't have the X-H1 but if you get that too you hit the lottery. Too bad none of that happened with Sony stuff.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Jaded: it did happen with the Sony stuff. I just missed out. I spent so much time looking at fuji gear, all the sony stuff was corrected by the time I started looking at it. some ppl in the prime day thread ordered sony stuff. Hopefully they luck out too!

The X-H1 i dont even want. Im gonna sell it if it actually ships. Rather just stick with my x-t2.

Oct 25, 2017
Jaded: it did happen with the Sony stuff. I just missed out. I spent so much time looking at fuji gear, all the sony stuff was corrected by the time I started looking at it. some ppl in the prime day thread ordered sony stuff. Hopefully they luck out too!

The X-H1 i dont even want. Im gonna sell it if it actually ships. Rather just stick with my x-t2.
Really wish someone told me about this.

Oct 25, 2017
Rats. I brought my girlfriend to the airport early today, otherwise I would've been up late looking, too!
Prime day is useless for people with expensive camera tastes. Saw some guy in the thread swooning over getting a Rebel kit and I'm just like.
tenor.gif