• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
photography stuff (at least good stuff) never gets deals on black friday even. It's too expensive and too niche. I don't blame amazon, really.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
a ton of camera gear was showing up as 98.84 after prime day discount. And by a ton I mean a shitload of bodies and lenses across all manus.

I bought an x-h1/xf 16-55 f2.8 bundle - 2400 bucks but 101 usd with next day shipping lol (the lens in the bundle actually shipped this morning!!!)
also a xf 50-140mm f2.8 with 1.4x teleconverter - 2000 bucks but 101 usd with next day shipping (this hasn't shipped yet)

Pretty sure im not getting any of it except for the lens that already shipped, but i've already made out like a bandit.

FYI, they'll ask you for the money back. I wouldn't open it if I were you and wait for the fallout. You'll get an email from amazon.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
It does feel like a whole lotta nothing. The memory products on discount are the same stuff that's always on sale

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I work for a website that sells stuff online. We shipped a ton of shot out at the wrong price and used a letter based on one that amazon sends out to ask for the products or money back.

Does such a letter actually have force of legal action or is it just a way to nicely scare the customer into doing something though? Im not 100% so that's why i was just gonna let everything sit and not open anything for a bit....

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Does such a letter actually have force of legal action or is it just a way to nicely scare the customer into doing something though? Im not 100% so that's why i was just gonna let everything sit and not open anything for a bit....

If the pricing was an obvious human error, they could ask it back or refuse the sale. But if you don't send it back to them, they'd have to take legal measures, so depending on whether those are worth the money or not they'll tell you to either keep it and be happy with it or the FBI raid is already on their way.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I haven't bought a new lens in a decade, plenty of used ones though 😁. I should add up all the money I would have spent, I imagine it's insane.
The only lens I regret getting new is the 85 1.8 and it's not because I don't like that lens it's because I probably could've saved damn near $200 getting it used. You also have to factor in tax too. The only new lenses that I still use are the Sony 85 1.8, Sigma 35 1.4 FE (It's a pain in the ass to find used) and the Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 because I got it when it first came out, the rest is used. The only new camera I have is the X-T3 the rest are either used or refurbished and I put a lot of images through my cameras and they're still going. There's the almost 17,000 in my Flickr and then there's what I shoot for work that doesn't get put on there

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
If the pricing was an obvious human error, they could ask it back or refuse the sale. But if you don't send it back to them, they'd have to take legal measures, so depending on whether those are worth the money or not they'll tell you to either keep it and be happy with it or the FBI raid is already on their way.

Or they can cut you off from using Amazon to buy things or to access on demand content.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017

We cut the customers off until they paid us back or returned the products. I'd imagine that it would be a pain in the ass if Amazon cut you off.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
surely they wouldnt do that, right? Ive never heard of such. However i have heard of people getting away with price mistaked tvs and such all the time on amazon, so hopefully nothing happens! we'll see. Im half expecting all of this to get intercepted before it gets to me.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Or they can cut you off from using Amazon to buy things or to access on demand content.

Only in America™, I take? Since after it's been and send and delivered the transaction is seen as completed and the retailer should have caught the error before that, at least in the EU. They can refuse the sale and give your money back, but they can't ask it back once it's been completed (delivered) and certainly not punish you for keeping it.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Only in America™, I take? Since after it's been and send and delivered the transaction is seen as completed and the retailer should have caught the error before that, at least in the EU. They can refuse the sale and give your money back, but they can't ask it back once it's been completed (delivered) and certainly not punish you for keeping it.

Maybe.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure in California if you catch a price error and it's sent to you they can't ask for it back. It's not your fault someone in the company fucked up

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Also only 18* hours to go before Sony reveals their new camera. Any bets on what it is? A9II? A7rIV? A7000? A5?

Oct 25, 2017
Also only 18* hours to go before Sony reveals their new camera. Any bets on what it is? A9II? A7rIV? A7000? A5?
I want an A7RIV to tank the RIII prices, just give it to me Sony so you can not profit off my used camera purchase, but hopefully profit off of my endless recommendations of it. Surely someone on this or the Facebook group will buy it new so they can get some money.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I used an a7sii a few weeks ago doing very low light video work. It's pretty good. Can't imagine what the upgrade would be like in a mark 3 version of its just as big of an update as the a7iii and a7riii were over their predecessors

Oct 25, 2017
I used an a7sii a few weeks ago doing very low light video work. It's pretty good. Can't imagine what the upgrade would be like in a mark 3 version of its just as big of an update as the a7iii and a7riii were over their predecessors
As far as I'm concerned an A7SIII would have to be a legit hybrid camera to get me to look at it. The S series is far too geared towards video work and I'm an actual hybrid photographer. I do video work and photography. I did a series of corporate headshots this morning with my A7RII in a fucking hallway that need to be worked on for a pamphlet. I wouldn't be using the A7SII for this for example, or any of my event work. Would've been fine for the graduation video work in theory if the video AF was fine, which it probably isn't since it's a contrast detect system.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm concerned an A7SIII would have to be a legit hybrid camera to get me to look at it. The S series is far too geared towards video work and I'm an actual hybrid photographer. I do video work and photography. I did a series of corporate headshots this morning with my A7RII in a fucking hallway that need to be worked on for a pamphlet. I wouldn't be using the A7SII for this for example, or any of my event work. Would've been fine for the graduation video work in theory if the video AF was fine, which it probably isn't since it's a contrast detect system.

The S series is meant for video and low light photography. It's not going to be very high MP or fast shooter just a new sensor and internal 4K plus better ISO.

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever it is, it seems to be everything but the A7sIII. SAR rumours suggest all of the things I mentioned but the A7sIII is still a while off, as it got scrapped and remade. They got four cameras to reveal the couple two months so it might get revealed soon though.
I guess it's definitely going to be the A9II then since they need that to pair with the 400 2.8 and 600 F4 for the Olympics.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Some of the Sony videgraphy complaints I've read/heard are pretty legit. If you don't see your settings on secondary displays etc, that's problematic. And for indie/digital film, the AF isn't an issue, most folks prefer MF. Either way though A7S3 is very niche, so it's probably not that, though it is very long in the tooth right about now. I don't think it's their bread and butter though.
I'd expect A7-4/A7r-4 before anything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the Sony videgraphy complaints I've read/heard are pretty legit. If you don't see your settings on secondary displays etc, that's problematic. And for indie/digital film, the AF isn't an issue, most folks prefer MF. Either way though A7S3 is very niche, so it's probably not that, though it is very long in the tooth right about now. I don't think it's their bread and butter though.
I'd expect A7-4/A7r-4 before anything else.
I don't think the A7S series was ever their bread and butter camera. They seem to prioritize their A7R and A7 basic lines with now the A9 being their prestige photojournalistic and sports series. The S is the film set camera. It has a market, but I really don't think it's that big of a market, especially since a lot of what they're known for got heavily taken over by Panasonic's GH series. The only benefit of the A7SIII would be the high iso.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I believe the A7 is their biggest seller, at least for E format. I'm sure the tiny cameras still sell a lot. Believe it or not Fuji Instax is probably Fuji's bread and butter....massive profits from that line.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the A7 is their biggest seller, at least for E format. I'm sure the tiny cameras still sell a lot. Believe it or not Fuji Instax is probably Fuji's bread and butter....massive profits from that line.
This part is obvious. I'm pretty sure their A6000 is still making them bank since it's a black friday guaranteed seller. With the price drops the A7II is probably up their as well. Fuji has a ton of cameras for some odd reason. I wouldn't even know what their bread and butter is, but Instax would not surprise me.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
How much have cheap compact cameras improved in the last 5-10 years? What is the least you'd have to spend to get the same quality as the best smartphone cameras?

Oct 25, 2017
How much have cheap compact cameras improved in the last 5-10 years? What is the least you'd have to spend to get the same quality as the best smartphone cameras?
Cheap compact cameras are pretty much replaced by phones. If you want something better than a phone then that becomes matter of ponying up some actual money. You don't want to do that then stick with your phone.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the only market that seems to survive for compacts beyond premium is the weatherproof ones. And even then you are fighting the GoPros of the world.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Cheap compact cameras are pretty much replaced by phones. If you want something better than a phone then that becomes matter of ponying up some actual money. You don't want to do that then stick with your phone.

I'm actually interested in a decent compact camera. I have my DSLR but it's too big and impractical most of the time. I will never spend more than $150 on a smartphone. I figure a $200 compact camera will take much better pictures.

I am simply wondering how a compact camera in that price range compares to the iPhone's camera for example?

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually interested in a decent compact camera. I have my DSLR but it's too big and impractical most of the time. I will never spend more than $150 on a smartphone. I figure a $200 compact camera will take much better pictures.

I am simply wondering how a compact camera in that price range compares to the iPhone's camera for example?

stick with the iphone. seriously, lol. Your next step up from a smartphone is a compact mirrorless like a sony a6000 series or something. Or maybe a fuji x100 series if you are ok with a fixed focal length.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
stick with the iphone. seriously, lol. Your next step up from a smartphone is a compact mirrorless like a sony a6000 series or something. Or maybe a fuji x100 series if you are ok with a fixed focal length.

Huh? I have a $100 Nokia 3 that takes horrible pictures. Like I said, I'll never spend more than $150 on a smartphone.

Wish I could get a more serious answer than "use a smartphone lol".

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017

I'd search around for a gently used older camera that is somewhat higher-end.

It's not impossible to find something that works for you, but most of the people who post here use ILCs so our knowledge base is mainly in that area.

If you don't mind fixed lens, maybe look at a Ricoh GR I or GR II? Excellent sensor.

Oct 25, 2017

Get one of the RX100's nothing older than the RX100III and nothing newer than the RX100V. That's probably the best compact series on the market.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Get one of the RX100's nothing older than the RX100III and nothing newer than the RX100V. That's probably the best compact series on the market.

I'd search around for a gently used older camera that is somewhat higher-end.

It's not impossible to find something that works for you, but most of the people who post here use ILCs so our knowledge base is mainly in that area.

If you don't mind fixed lens, maybe look at a Ricoh GR I or GR II? Excellent sensor.

I will check those cameras out, much appreciated!

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? I have a $100 Nokia 3 that takes horrible pictures. Like I said, I'll never spend more than $150 on a smartphone.

Wish I could get a more serious answer than "use a smartphone lol".

Look man, you asked. For 200 dollars you are better off with your phone camera until you want to spend 500 or so

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the RX100M3 takes good pictures, but it's still $400. It's basically the lowest bar of entry for a 'good' compact, even though I feel it's getting a bit behind the times now and the RX100VA has some much needed additions. But for $200, there's zero non-secondhand stuff out there that will take better pictures than a moderately expensive smartphone.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the RX100M3 takes good pictures, but it's still $400. It's basically the lowest bar of entry for a 'good' compact, even though I feel it's getting a bit behind the times now and the RX100VA has some much needed additions. But for $200, there's zero non-secondhand stuff out there that will take better pictures than a moderately expensive smartphone.
Camera manufacturers realized a long ass time ago that the consumer grade compact market was declining, dead and not worth pumping money into and have long stopped R&D on them. You want a good compact you need to up your budget. It's the cold hard truth of the matter. So basically what you're asking for at your budget is an impossibility.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Camera manufacturers realized a long ass time ago that the consumer grade compact market was declining, dead and not worth pumping money into and have long stopped R&D on them. You want a good compact you need to up your budget. It's the cold hard truth of the matter. So basically what you're asking for at your budget is an impossibility.

Sure you were replying to the right person? I'm the who already owns a RX100III lol and bought it full price.