• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Replacements for the A6000 and A6500 bodies, apparently. I was hoping for a mini-A9, so the A6600 isn't all that impressive, although having the new battery in an APS-C body sure help. Both have disappointingly low-resolution EVF and LCDs. Still no new body with dual dial system, either. Oh well...

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
The 6100 seems not very attractive to me but maybe I'm missing something? It's not that cheap but the viewfinder resolution seems non-competitive.

Meanwhile I still don't really understand what the heck Canon is doing with EOS M. I actually think the M6ii is sort of neat, but... Are they just continuing that system until they come up with a better idea?

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so in the last 72 hours we have these announced cameras:

Panasonic S1H
Canon 90D
Canon M6ii
Sony A6600
Sony A6100

Weee!

Any of these move the needle for anyone? Not I but I'm slowly circling Fuji, maybe they will want in on the fun :)
I have no need for any of these cameras. I'm already eyeball deep in Sony and Fuji as it is, plus Nikon stuff. Sony announced a $1400 16-55 2.8, motherfuckers are crazy.
but is it worth the $200 difference
I recently shot the A7RII and the A7RIII, side by side and the EVF difference is very noticeable actually. Nothing worse than shooting through a viewfinder that looks muddy.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is crazy with those lenses, why buy those when you can get the Tamron 28-75 for $500 less which allows you to upgrade to FF without problems
This is why I just never recommend Sony crop sensor, they don't care about it and the prices now just say "might as well just buy a full frame lens." That 16-55 is very close to the 16-35 2.8GM price wise used.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Sony is crazy with those lenses, why buy those when you can get the Tamron 28-75 for $500 less which allows you to upgrade to FF without problems

They're sort of different beasts.

The 16-55 lens on an APS-C camera is ~24-82.5mm thanks to the crop, whereas the Tamron 28-75 is more like a 42-112.5mm. The range on the 16-55 is much more dynamic and well rounded versus the portrait-only 28-75 when cropped.

That 16-55 is very close to the 16-35 2.8GM price wise used.

I mean, sure, but when you can inevitably buy the 16-55 used it'll be cheaper too.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
First of all, I can vouch for those swabs as well.

Ok so in the last 72 hours we have these announced cameras:

Panasonic S1H
Canon 90D
Canon M6ii
Sony A6600
Sony A6100

Weee!

Any of these move the needle for anyone? Not I but I'm slowly circling Fuji, maybe they will want in on the fun :)
The 90D honestly seems fantastic, but Canon, like the other big two do not really care about APS-C, so they don't have good lenses for it. And if you end up buying FF lenses, it sorta defeats the purpose. That said, a high res APS-C could be a specialized camera for wildlife/sports with the fantastic Canon super tele lenses.

M6ii....again, without lenses, why bother. I think Canon should go ahead with the RF mount and introduce RF mount APS-C down the line, or at least make some decent lenses for the M mount for it to make any sense.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I've cleaned a DSLR sensor with a swab in the past. It wasn't hard, just be gentle and follow the instructions.

That said, I've only had to do that one time in over a decade, the rest of the time I'd just use a rocket blower. Or with my newer cameras the self cleaning ultrasonic process the camera does seems to take care of most things.

Actually, the most annoying cleaning I've done recently was when I had my lens off to switch and my 5 year old stuck a dirty finger in and touched the mirror. Ugh.
yea i've never had to clean a sensor. Even phase one's gigantic sensor would catch lots of dust, just blowing on it would remove most dust.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
yea i've never had to clean a sensor. Even phase one's gigantic sensor would catch lots of dust, just blowing on it would remove most dust.
There was something really weird and persistent on my sensor this one time, dunno how the heck it got there. But yeah, other than that...

I only shoot DSLR though. Mirrorless seems like you might accumulate more junk if you weren't careful.

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
The M6 Mk II looks attractive tbh. But the EF-M ecosystem really isn't too appealing apart from that 32/1.4 maybe. If I had old Canon FF glass, the adapter would be an option, but there isn't even one available for the modern RF lenses, so not a futureproof move.

The Sony A6600 isn't convincing at all. Right now the price is quite wrong and no joystick is a dealbreaker for me for a new expensive box not to mention the mediocre EVF and the lack of 4k/60p video. And it looks like the sensor isn't really an improvement.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The M6 Mk II looks attractive tbh. But the EF-M ecosystem really isn't too appealing apart from that 32/1.4 maybe. If I had old Canon FF glass, the adapter would be an option, but there isn't even one available for the modern RF lenses, so not a futureproof move.

The Sony A6600 isn't convincing at all. Right now the price is quite wrong and no joystick is a dealbreaker for me for a new expensive box not to mention the mediocre EVF and the lack of 4k/60p video. And it looks like the sensor isn't really an improvement.

Same sensor with horrible jello effect for video.

Sucks to see them position the 6600 as their APS-C flagship. Guess the rumored a7000 or mini a9 is just not in the cards.

Oct 25, 2017

Crop sensor mirrorless is pretty much Fuji territory to me. The batteries are trash, but I use the grip and use three so it's not that much of a complaint to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody I talk to waits for an APS-C in an A7 body just for the ergonomics. They really miss an opportunity there I think.
I honestly think Sony don't care. People keep asking for a flippy screen on the A7's and it's still not there. If Sony wanted to do the R&D for this stuff they could, but they don't want to because they don't even think it's worth it. I honestly think people should look at what's available that fits their criteria and then buy that...or just adjust their expectations.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Anyone own a Peak Design Slide strap?

I'm about to buy one but it looks like they stain clothes. Maybe that's just the darker ones?
I just bought a Slide Lite, this thing rocks. It's woven nylon (?) though....doesn't seem like it'll stain at all. I am really liking the design, and feel of it. Heavy duty.

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought a Slide Lite, this thing rocks. It's woven nylon (?) though....doesn't seem like it'll stain at all. I am really liking the design, and feel of it. Heavy duty.
The Slide Lite has survived the A7R2 with the 70-200 2.8 hanging off of it for months, it's a very well made strap, just a bit too narrow for that weight load for me, but on crop sensor I'm sure it's perfect.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Anyone own a Peak Design Slide strap?

I'm about to buy one but it looks like they stain clothes. Maybe that's just the darker ones?
Funny you say that. I had one of the original ones, so old it had no serial number, and it stained a shirt. I emailed them and they sent me a new one.

The new one has a different silicon and it's clear instead of black like the old one. I've only had it a out two weeks so no idea if it will do anything but I doubt it since it's clear.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
A handful of Amazon and B&H reviews had photos to show that the darker/black strap was leaving stains on their shirts. Looks like PD fixed the issue, based on what captive is saying.

Speaking of which, captive - do you mean you have an Ash colored one now?
Yes.

I had the really cool blue one. And it's ruined a Astros shirt I have. Washed it twice, once with oxyclean and it hasn't come out. My wife is gonna try lestoil but she hasn't done it yet.

And yes I picked ash, though not really happy about either color choice.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Yes.

I had the really cool blue one. And it's ruined a Astros shirt I have. Washed it twice, once with oxyclean and it hasn't come out. My wife is gonna try lestoil but she hasn't done it yet.

And yes I picked ash, though not really happy about either color choice.

But the newer Slide seems to not stain anything? (It's amazing to have a thread where I can just straight-up ask someone about this, for the record)

I'm looking at this one.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
But the newer Slide seems to not stain anything? (It's amazing to have a thread where I can just straight-up ask someone about this, for the record)

I'm looking at this one.
Yea that's the one I got. But like i said, I've only had it for two weeks.

I had the other one for three years before it stained anything.

That said the silicon/rubber on the new one is clear instead of black. The old strap literally looks like melted rubber now.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Seriously, thanks for all the feedback on this everybody.

I wanted the black seatbelt looking one, but the ash color seems less likely to stain if the first gen issues weren't ironed out.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
And it seems like the grip is the issue here, which will only come into play if you carry it on one shoulder when you'll flip the strap to ensure the grip side is down, gripping your clothes. Around the neck or sling style shouldn't be an issue.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the new APSC cameras from Sony give me the opportunity to buy a second a6000 body for pennies. Switching lenses is my least favorite part of photography.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the new APSC cameras from Sony give me the opportunity to buy a second a6000 body for pennies. Switching lenses is my least favorite part of photography.
I use only primes, so I hear ya.

I want an extra Fuji body, but I can't really justify it. Especially since I think the XPro2 would be bad with manual focus lenses compared to the xt2.