• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Paying more for an APS-C lens compared to its FF counterpart while having less tele and same equivalent aperture, hmmm....

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Paying more for an APS-C lens compared to its FF counterpart while having less tele and same equivalent aperture, hmmm....

Tony Northrup said best, would you buy:

a6600 + 16-55 2.8 for $2800
OR
a7 III + 24-70 f4 for the same price? (you could get the Tamron even, if you need the 2.8 speed)

It seems that Sony's strategy for the APS-C market is pricing it just close enough to FF that it makes more sense to go the A7-A9 route

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has always been a company that plays weird 11th dimensional chess with pricing. Not just in cameras. But whatever, their system seems quite popular despite everything.

Remember most people who buy the APSC cameras won't buy that lens anyway

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has always been a company that plays weird 11th dimensional chess with pricing. Not just in cameras. But whatever, their system seems quite popular despite everything.

Remember most people who buy the APSC cameras won't buy that lens anyway

true, with the AF from the A7RIV passed down even to the entry level A6100, and a camera for each price point, I think they got their bases covered

i mean I think they are still selling the RX100m2? lmao

Oct 25, 2017
Not having to switch lens is not worth not being able to buy anything else in my life.

I think I got my current a6000 body used for like $290. If I we get down to the $150 range, I'll be seriously considering get a second body.
Makes sense. I never have any idea what anybody's budgeting is. I have the same concerns with rent and food and such, so I usually make sure I can not be too effected when I buy something.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Typically I think Sony is overpriced etc etc, but this is one of the cases I am not seeing it. It's a 2.8 constant zoom, I am not sure how cheap they can price it? I also don't think of things as FF (high end therefore should be pricey) vs APS-C (low end therefore should be cheap). But I think most manufacturers do treat the market that way and that's why you have mostly crappy APS-C lenses.

Oct 25, 2017
Typically I think Sony is overpriced etc etc, but this is one of the cases I am not seeing it. It's a 2.8 constant zoom, I am not sure how cheap they can price it? I also don't think of things as FF (high end therefore should be pricey) vs APS-C (low end therefore should be cheap). But I think most manufacturers do treat the market that way and that's why you have mostly crappy APS-C lenses.
This is why I think if you want crop sensor mirrorless you go Fuji. Used prices are great and there's a good dedicated lens lineup behind it.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you can buy a Tamron 17.50 f2.8 for DSLRs for 300 bucks. Or 150 used. It's not stabilized, but then neither is the Sony, amazingly.

Granted the Sony is probably a better lens, but that Tamron is actually pretty sharp on an APS-C body. It's not as good a lens, but then you could buy three other lenses used lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, join us in the manual focus future.

Also I'm at some random anime convention and I have counted 3 film cameras here, none of which seem to be cosplay props.

The heck. That's some dedication, busting out the 35mm film for some cosplay shots.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Managed to get the X-T30 for less than £900 with the 18-55 :D the kit lens is good but not amazing, If I had to pay fiull price for it I would have been annoyed.

UtNqRZj.jpg

I then picked up the Samyang 12mm for £209 which is WIDE, holy crap it's gonna be nice using this lens but very tricky to utilise it. I have started to learn all manual options the Fuji camera offers and I must say it's refreshing, really pleased on how easy it is punch in focus. It's not bad at video as well with no IS.

wrQNxHT.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to get the X-T30 for less than £900 with the 18-55 :D the kit lens is good but not amazing, If I had to pay fiull price for it I would have been annoyed.

UtNqRZj.jpg

I then picked up the Samyang 12mm for £209 which is WIDE, holy crap it's gonna be nice using this lens but very tricky to utilise it. I have started to learn all manual options the Fuji camera offers and I must say it's refreshing, really pleased on how easy it is punch in focus. It's not bad at video as well with no IS.

wrQNxHT.jpg
The kit lens is OK to start with, but I had to get off that thing quickly, I might have 100 photos in my flickr with that thing. Get a nice prime, I have recommendations, but I don't know what you shoot.

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The kit lens is OK to start with, but I had to get off that thing quickly, I might have 100 photos in my flickr with that thing. Get a nice prime, I have recommendations, but I don't know what you shoot.

Honestly I just bought it for a Holiday as my Nikon camera was nearly 10 years old. I will get the Fuji 35mm F2 though

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh an on another note: just wondering if anyone knows of getting a VIVID Nikon look with Fuji bodies?

While I appreciate the film simulation modes for JPEG's I wanted something with a bit more contrast and colour as the film simulation modes look a bit too flat for me:

zhrLoWT.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I just bought it for a Holiday as my Nikon camera was nearly 10 years old. I will get the Fuji 35mm F2 though
The 35 is good, I'm a 23mm person though and 56 or 90 for when I want to get tight.
Oh an on another note: just wondering if anyone knows of getting a VIVID Nikon look with Fuji bodies?

While I appreciate the film simulation modes for JPEG's I wanted something with a bit more contrast and colour as the film simulation modes look a bit too flat for me:

zhrLoWT.jpg
I have been through enough cameras to the point where I'm not obsessed with making my Fuji look like my Nikon or my Sony looking like my Fuji. Just embrace the different characteristics and enjoy the images. If you want something more vivid go with Velvia, which is honestly something I would never shoot too often because it's just too garish with anything but landscapes. I mostly just use Astia, Provia, Classic Chrome and sometimes pro neg standard or whatever. I believe you can go into the settings and tweak the film sims to have more contrast and some other things. I honestly just tweak the raws in post, slap a film sim on them on top of that and call it a day. People will complain about them not looking the same as the jpegs and I honestly just don't give a shit about film sim authenticity.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Is the shot you posted what you want them to look like or....that's from the Fuji you don't like? Either way, Pro Negative Hi is hi contrast and softly saturated. You might like Velvia, it's super saturated. I typically use Classic Chrome. In the Q menu you can set parameters for Highlights and Shadows to achieve the type of contrast you like.

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The 35 is good, I'm a 23mm person though and 56 or 90 for when I want to get tight.

I have been through enough cameras to the point where I'm not obsessed with making my Fuji look like my Nikon or my Sony looking like my Fuji. Just embrace the different characteristics and enjoy the images. If you want something more vivid go with Velvia, which is honestly something I would never shoot too often because it's just too garish with anything but landscapes. I mostly just use Astia, Provia, Classic Chrome and sometimes pro neg standard or whatever. I believe you can go into the settings and tweak the film sims to have more contrast and some other things. I honestly just tweak the raws in post, slap a film sim on them on top of that and call it a day. People will complain about them not looking the same as the jpegs and I honestly just don't give a shit about film sim authenticity.

Ok, I think Pro Negative High is the closest I think can get to Nikon vivid. I think I need to get the 35mm as that is my usual shooting lens and would help with the sharpness that I desire.

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is the shot you posted what you want them to look like or....that's from the Fuji you don't like? Either way, Pro Negative Hi is hi contrast and softly saturated. You might like Velvia, it's super saturated. I typically use Classic Chrome. In the Q menu you can set parameters for Highlights and Shadows to achieve the type of contrast you like.

I think Pro Neg Hi is my favourite so far.

That pic was taken with the lens I like (12mm) with Eternia? simulation. Picture isn't that ideal due to banding from compression from imgur.

But yeah Pro Neg Hi seems like the way to go for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Pro Neg Hi is my favourite so far.

That pic was taken with the lens I like (12mm) with Eternia? simulation. Picture isn't that ideal due to banding from compression from imgur.

But yeah Pro Neg Hi seems like the way to go for me.
Eterna is so flat that I barely consider it a film sim.
Ok, I think Pro Negative High is the closest I think can get to Nikon vivid. I think I need to get the 35mm as that is my usual shooting lens and would help with the sharpness that I desire.
This makes sense. I barely use that film sim, but that's me personally, the 35 is noticeably sharper than the kit lens.

Oct 25, 2017
the 23mm f2 stays on my x-t2 like 75% of the time. I do like the kit lens a lot though.
Yeah it really depends on what I'm in the mood to shoot. I'm usually either using the 23 1.4, 56 1.2 or 90F2, rarely the 16-55 and the 50-140. The zooms are very event focused at this point and even still I bring the primes because of low light reasons where I find the Fuji zooms lacking.

Oct 25, 2017
You can set up presets to include not only the film sim, but also boosting contrast, saturations, blacks and whites. That's what I did to give my Acros a bit more pop.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for advice.

I received a Panasonic 25mm f1.7 lens from Amazon. The rear element looked like this with a foggy ring:
t6OVw4k.jpg

I returned it and got a replacement that looked like this:

lfsuT5J.jpg

This one is even worse, there's that little ring in the fog and although you can't tell in the photo, the fog appears on multiple elements.

This isn't normal, right? Amazon has a bad batch, bad storage, or something. I'm afraid of getting flagged for return abuse if I try again because at this point I feel like it's not a coincidence that I got the only two bad ones in my local warehouse.

I'd just go ahead and buy it locally, but because the first one was a gift I now have that money tied up as Amazon credit from the return. What would you do?

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I assume the fog is on the inside of the element? Any weird humidity issues where you live?

California. It hasn't rained in months, and while we get fog, the ambient humidity is generally much lower than the rest of the country during the summer.

Both came out of the box like that from the local amazon warehouse so only spent about 8 hours on a truck between the warehouse and being opened by me. None of my other lenses have ever developed this issue. The box was bone dry so there's no reason to believe it could have been exposed to anything in that short time that would let moisture in.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. I take it leaving the lens out by itself in a dry room doesn't solve the issue?

I certainly wouldn't keep a lens with persistent moisture inside of it when delivered. Haven't heard anything like this issue before though.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. I take it leaving the lens out by itself in a dry room doesn't solve the issue?

I certainly wouldn't keep a lens with persistent moisture inside of it when delivered. Haven't heard anything like this issue before though.

I let both sit out for a few days. I put the second in a bag with several silica gel packs. No change over time.

I really think Amazon either got a bad batch from Panasonic or something happened in transit/storage before Amazon sent them to me. I wish I could request it be sent from a different warehouse.

edit: Also, yeah, definitely returning it. Just wondered if anyone else here had any idea of what might be going on, because this feels ridiculous to get two lenses like this 3 weeks apart (after returns, waiting for refund, shipping, etc.).

Last edited:

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I take it there's a ton of them?

Everyone buys Sony and calls themselves Videographers. They offer really cheap rates. Undercut everyone that actually knows what they're doing. Then turn in products that are usually shot very soft or outright out of focus. Which causes the people that hired them to not trust anyone and seek people outside of the Valley

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone buys Sony and calls themselves Videographers. They offer really cheap rates. Undercut everyone that actually knows what they're doing. Then turn in products that are usually shot very soft or outright out of focus. Which causes the people that hired them to not trust anyone and seek people outside of the Valley
Holy fucking shit I hate people, this is just sad, manipulative and taints the fuck out of the industry. You can't just go around, give them a B-roll test and then break their hands and take their cameras when they fail it?

Oct 25, 2017
So basically they haven't finished making it yet.. but announces it anyway
They don't even have specs for it yet. If from what I heard the D5 sales weren't too hot then they really need to do something with this camera to justify a purchase. Especially with mirrorless being a lot better of an option than when the D5 came out.