• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i made a video with my d800 last night, i want to cut some parts out, remove the sound and just speed it up. what software would do this?

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Laowa 9mm yesterday; how the fuck is this thing so TINY!? It almost feels like a lens made for like, a Sony handicam than it does an APSC lens. I think it's smaller than the 35 f2.

Anyway, stupid wide, at f2.8 everything past .5m is in focus, and I need to take it for a spin. So far seems like vignette city, so that's something to be aware of, but looks good so far.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nikon_Nikkor_Lens_Roadmaps_2.jpeg
Nikon's Z-mount lens roadmap leaked.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they sell an APS-C Z mount camera will they sell some less pricey lenses. These all look nice but $$$

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Weird for not having 1.4 primes. And I wouldn't expect Nikon to invest in apsc so expect shitty lenses even if they bother to build apsc bodies.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for advice.

I received a Panasonic 25mm f1.7 lens from Amazon. The rear element looked like this with a foggy ring:
t6OVw4k.jpg

I returned it and got a replacement that looked like this:

lfsuT5J.jpg

This one is even worse, there's that little ring in the fog and although you can't tell in the photo, the fog appears on multiple elements.

This isn't normal, right? Amazon has a bad batch, bad storage, or something. I'm afraid of getting flagged for return abuse if I try again because at this point I feel like it's not a coincidence that I got the only two bad ones in my local warehouse.

I'd just go ahead and buy it locally, but because the first one was a gift I now have that money tied up as Amazon credit from the return. What would you do?

Update: I just got my third lens from a different store. Same issue. There's definitely a quality control issue or something going on with this lens. I know it's a really popular micro four thirds. Does anyone else here have it and can check theirs?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Update: I just got my third lens from a different store. Same issue. There's definitely a quality control issue or something going on with this lens. I know it's a really popular micro four thirds. Does anyone else here have it and can check theirs?
No idea, extremely weird. Go with the ever reliable 20mm. Or buy in person new or used that you can actually check out.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Spend $120 more on a different focal length lens to solve my issues with a highly recommended, well reviewed lens because that one is somehow more reliable? That's not exactly what I'm looking to do.
That's neither here nor there dude...you don't have legs to compensate? As you said, three lenses have the same issue so I suggested a close enough equivalent. But you do you man.

Dec 16, 2017
Oh didn't notice that they announced new Sony apsc's!

Wanted to upgrade my a6000. Was thinking about getting a 6400 but it seems that the 6100 is quite similar.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Oh didn't notice that they announced new Sony apsc's!

Wanted to upgrade my a6000. Was thinking about getting a 6400 but it seems that the 6100 is quite similar.
The biggest difference to me would be the EVF. That said, if you aren't concerned about the EVF resolution it is sort of hard to see why you would go for the 6400 vs the 6100 or 6600. I guess the 6400 has log if you do a lot of video?

Dec 16, 2017
The biggest difference to me would be the EVF. That said, if you aren't concerned about the EVF resolution it is sort of hard to see why you would go for the 6400 vs the 6100 or 6600. I guess the 6400 has log if you do a lot of video?

Hm not planning on doing any video.
The thing about the 6000's EVF is that I find it almost impossible to set the focus when it's dark, excluding the Samyang 12f2.
Note that I'm quite inexperienced but last year I went out with a friend to take some nighttime long exposures in the city and it was impossible to set the focus because it was so pixelated.
Thinking about how many times I was in that situation, I don't think it warrants the additional costs.

Edit:

Could get a new 6400 w/ kit lens for 835 Euro. So I could get it probably down to 750 after selling the lens. The 6100 will retail for 899 Euro (w/o kit lens).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Hm not planning on doing any video.
The thing about the 6000's EVF is that I find it almost impossible to set the focus when it's dark, excluding the Samyang 12f2.
Note that I'm quite inexperienced but last year I went out with a friend to take some nighttime long exposures in the city and it was impossible to set the focus because it was so pixelated.
Thinking about how many times I was in that situation, I don't think it warrants the additional costs.

Edit:

Could get a new 6400 w/ kit lens for 835 Euro. So I could get it probably down to 750 after selling the lens. The 6100 will retail for 899 Euro (w/o kit lens).
If you already have glass don't even bother with the kit lens.

Dec 16, 2017
If you already have glass don't even bother with the kit lens.

It'll be just a body upgrade. Already have the 12mm Samyang, 30mm Sigma and the Sony 18-105.
The price difference for the 6400 w/ and w/o kit lens is ridiculous (14 Euros). So it would be better to get it w/ lens and sell it.

Need to start getting out more often to take some pictures. Moved to a different country late last year and haven't had any real incentive to do that... :/

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be just a body upgrade. Already have the 12mm Samyang, 30mm Sigma and the Sony 18-105.
The price difference for the 6400 w/ and w/o kit lens is ridiculous (14 Euros). So it would be better to get it w/ lens and sell it.

Need to start getting out more often to take some pictures. Moved to a different country late last year and haven't had any real incentive to do that... :/
What's the sell value for the kit lenses? It's usually just a route I never even care about because usually when I think of glass I look at what I'd even be using it for.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
That's neither here nor there dude...you don't have legs to compensate? As you said, three lenses have the same issue so I suggested a close enough equivalent. But you do you man.

I didn't mean to offend with my response.

The lens I've tried to buy is a well reviewed, highly recommended lens from this company without widespread complaints about the issue I'm having.

You suggested a different well reviewed, highly recommended lens from the same company without widespread complaints about the issue I'm having.

I don't feel any better or more secure buying that lens over this one again based on what's going on. In addition to be a different, it also isn't as fast at AF in low light, which my legs won't compensate for, and part of why I wanted this lens to begin with. I was just looking for other owners to get a better idea of how I should proceed in finding a 50mm equivalent lens for this camera. I know what's out there. I'm more inclined to go with an Olympus or other maker than straight back to the company that's giving me problems.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I didn't mean to offend with my response.

The lens I've tried to buy is a well reviewed, highly recommended lens from this company without widespread complaints about the issue I'm having.

You suggested a different well reviewed, highly recommended lens from the same company without widespread complaints about the issue I'm having.

I don't feel any better or more secure buying that lens over this one again based on what's going on. In addition to be a different, it also isn't as fast at AF in low light, which my legs won't compensate for, and part of why I wanted this lens to begin with. I was just looking for other owners to get a better idea of how I should proceed in finding a 50mm equivalent lens for this camera. I know what's out there. I'm more inclined to go with an Olympus or other maker than straight back to the company that's giving me problems.
I also suggested buying it in person, which seems to be logical after multiple attempts buying online, correct? If that's also not possible then usure what you want to do? Buy it new and try to fix it? It seems to me to be a moisture condensation issue, you can try leaving it in a hot, dry area and check every few hours. If the shape of the hazy area doesn't change then that seems to be an issue with the lens element itself. But that doesn't seem likely.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
The other thing you might do is check on a dedicated M43 site like the forum on DPreview to see if anyone else has had this problem or if you are missing something.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leica-SL2-camera-2.jpg

Leica SL2 photos leaked. 47mp sensor, something called "CINE Mode", and 4K video is all that's known at the moment. Official announcement supposedly end of this month/early next.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh I dunno, I don't hate the angles around the faux prism bump, but I do find the grip texture a bit busy.

Oct 25, 2017

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I got my GM almost 9 months ago, glad I didn't wait, good for those that didn't want to spend for the GM though. The amount of shots that I wouldn't have gotten or used a different camera for is hard to calculate since I use the lens for work...a lot.

I'm in a position where I really don't need to go to 200mm all that often, but when I've needed to I've just rented a 70-200 or gone APS-C mode on a 24-105 or 135mm. I do predominantly video work.

If this is up to the standards of the other Tamron E-Mounts, and in the same price range (I'm assuming $900-1300), I'll likely buy.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a position where I really don't need to go to 200mm all that often, but when I've needed to I've just rented a 70-200 or gone APS-C mode on a 24-105 or 135mm. I do predominantly video work.

If this is up to the standards of the other Tamron E-Mounts, and in the same price range (I'm assuming $900-1300), I'll likely buy.
Yeah I do video work and I have have been at 200mm more times than I would liked to, it's a lens that lived on my camera for the graduation event work and tends to live on my secondary body. Considering the corporate shit I do I'll take every mm I can get. If I was just getting into Sony now I might care about this announcement, but that train came and went already and I'm honestly glad I didn't hold out for it. Not to mention this lens will just telescope out any way, which I usually just don't like for this class of lens.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm just glad to have the options now. The F4 70-200, the 2.8 GM, and now a 2.8 70-180 that promises the usual 90% quality match for 40% of the price.

I wonder if they'll try and put some VC/IS on the Tamron. It's pretty necessary beyond 100mm, in my opinion, but it could drive the price up a bit. I never looked into how good IBIS on the A7III/A7RIII/A7RIV is at that length.

My guess? $1,300 with some sort of Tamron VC, or $1,000 with none and dependent on IBIS.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad to have the options now. The F4 70-200, the 2.8 GM, and now a 2.8 70-180 that promises the usual 90% quality match for 40% of the price.

I wonder if they'll try and put some VC/IS on the Tamron. It's pretty necessary beyond 100mm, in my opinion, but it could drive the price up a bit. I never looked into how good IBIS on the A7III/A7RIII/A7RIV is at that length.
They better put stabilization on it unless they want to pull a Sigma 50-100 1.8 Art. There's also the Sigma 70-200 2.8 Sport option if you want to adapt. I'm also saddled with not being able to update my damn cameras because that firmware updater just seems unable to work on my work computer so at this point it just feels go native or buy nothing at all. Regarding the video at that focal length...I have stuff with the GM on the A7RII handheld that needs to be ran through the warp stabilizer. The stuff with the A7RIII on the 24-70 looks better. So either the IBIS mechanism got vastly improved in the A7RIII or it's just easier to stabilize at the shorter focal lengths (yes I already know that's one of the reasons). To keep it short Tamron better throw some stabilization on this lens.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want Sigma to bring their 50-100 f/1.8 to e-mount. I played around with the Canon version using my MC-11 adapter in a camera shop the other day and it's a really neat lens.

From what I could tell messing around in the shop, the MC-11 adapter actually worked really damn well with the lens when it came to autofocus and real-time tracking.

Oct 25, 2017
I really want Sigma to bring their 50-100 f/1.8 to e-mount. I played around with the Canon version using my MC-11 adapter in a camera shop the other day and it's a really neat lens.

From what I could tell messing around in the shop, the MC-11 adapter actually worked really damn well with the lens when it came to autofocus and real-time tracking.
You should just buy the Canon version. There's something about their zooms that can seem to be ported over to a native E mount configuration. Like that lens has to be so niche for a market that doesn't care about buying expensive lenses that has to make it cost prohibitive. I think even at least Sony A7R users use it for video.