• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fujifilm-X-A7-1.jpg

Fuji X-A7

No EVF, no buy. It looks good otherwise.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Hmm, it has their worst lens. But I mean they have to release mass consumer cameras so...I just really wanna see the X100 refresh.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So the 3rd lens for my X-T30 has arrived!

35mm F2 Fuji

NNwPOuA.jpg

My set is pretty much complete for holiday travel.

Oct 25, 2017
There's also something to street shots with a more cinematic feel that you get by shooting long.

Love my 75-150mm 3.5 series-e Nikon for street photography, such a small unassuming lens.
"But you can't shoot street photography at anything longer than 35..." I fucking hate these people.
XT032211 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT032047 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT038933 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
If it looks good it looks good. I honestly think some of these keyboard photographers just cling to shit old people say or they read in a book.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
For the Slide/Slide Lite straps, I like to use the base attachment, basically hang the camera by my side and slide it when taking photos. But....what's the solution for a tripod with the plate attached?

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
How normal is it to hold a MILC/DSLR with both hands around the lens barrel and look through the viewfinder in that position? Saw it on some Instagram page and it looked ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Also I started earning the money recently and I'm now saving up for my first proper camera purchase. Actually hoping more for an A7 IV launch early next year that has the A7r IV features except for resolution. Not sure if it's still worth it to buy the A7 III right now. I mean, it's still a very good camera, but I feel like waiting a couple of months seems like the better bet right now?

Oct 25, 2017
Also I started earning the money recently and I'm now saving up for my first proper camera purchase. Actually hoping more for an A7 IV launch early next year that has the A7r IV features except for resolution. Not sure if it's still worth it to buy the A7 III right now. I mean, it's still a very good camera, but I feel like waiting a couple of months seems like the better bet right now?
I mean I got the A7RIII shortly after the RIV was announced. You can either buy used and spend on a good lens or buy new and just...buy new. A new RIV is slightly cheaper than getting a used RIII and a really good GM lens.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
It's that whole waiting for a good tv argument. Next year's tech will be blah blah blah. Meanwhile I got an LG OLED in 2016 and have been experiencing exquisite image quality since. You're putting too much emphasis on camera tech and ignoring how costly good lenses are...which are the things that allow the actual light to get through. A7 is a odd case at this point, imo Sony's best body to buy now is A7r3 used then you can get a really good lens either 35 1.4, 1.8 or 24 1.4. And if you're not confident the 24-70 typical zoom. Why pay a new body premium.

Oct 25, 2017
It's that whole waiting for a good tv argument. Next year's tech will be blah blah blah. Meanwhile I got an LG OLED in 2016 and have been experiencing exquisite image quality since. You're putting too much emphasis on camera tech and ignoring how costly good lenses are...which are the things that allow the actual light to get through. A7 is a odd case at this point, imo Sony's best body to buy now is A7r3 used then you can get a really good lens either 35 1.4, 1.8 or 24 1.4. And if you're not confident the 24-70 typical zoom. Why pay a new body premium.
Like you can go into my Flickr and find pics from a few months ago with the RII that are good so it's more talent and lens than anything else. I still use my RII as my secondary body for events.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City

The 7III and RIII are for me the "iPad Air 2" or "Nintendo DS Lite" of Sony cameras, as in they are gadgets that evolved from their rough predecessors that now have enough quality and refined features themselves that will make them last for years and years and years, sure the new shiny thing will be better but I honestly would rather get lenses, a used A7III (with kit lens) + 24mm GM + 85mm 1.8 would be a better investment than the IV + kit lens that you could get for the same price

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I have this problem where Fuji AF seems to be improving rapidly so I always feel like, ok the next camera is going to be amazing!

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
X-pro 3 going to have an insane AF system if the jump from 2 to 3 is anything like the jump from 1 to 2

Sep 8, 2019
Jumping on top of this - but a bit further down the food chain. I feel in a similar position. Looking to purchase my first camera. Considering holding out for the Sony A6100 but am thinking the A6000 will do me fine. Any reason for a beginner to not get the A6000 now instead of waiting and spending a few hundred extra for the A6100? 4k video upgrade seems nice but video will mostly be something to mess around with when I'm bored. They AF updates seem to be where I will see most improvement. Also having a hard time investing in a piece of tech 5 years old at this point!

Oct 25, 2017
Jumping on top of this - but a bit further down the food chain. I feel in a similar position. Looking to purchase my first camera. Considering holding out for the Sony A6100 but am thinking the A6000 will do me fine. Any reason for a beginner to not get the A6000 now instead of waiting and spending a few hundred extra for the A6100? 4k video upgrade seems nice but video will mostly be something to mess around with when I'm bored. They AF updates seem to be where I will see most improvement. Also having a hard time investing in a piece of tech 5 years old at this point!
Just get the 6100, if you're photographing moving things it might be important, though I still hate how Sony refuses to put an AF joystick on that camera. I think they just expect you to rely on the Eye AF, but I have mine turned off on my A7RIII 75% of the time.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that the A6000 is a REALLY old body. Check out this video that DPreview did a while back before about 50 other cameras came out... the 6000 didn't compare particularly well with the cameras of the time even a little over a year ago.

That said, if you don't need the new features you don't! Looking at the camera from my perspective, the thing that you might want to be concerned about is JPEGs, my impression is that the 6000s JPEGs are pretty bad. I think Sony has gotten better with those. I don't shoot JPEG, but something to think about.

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that the A6000 is a REALLY old body. Check out this video that DPreview did a while back before about 50 other cameras came out... the 6000 didn't compare particularly well with the cameras of the time even a little over a year ago.

That said, if you don't need the new features you don't! Looking at the camera from my perspective, the thing that you might want to be concerned about is JPEGs, my impression is that the 6000s JPEGs are pretty bad. I think Sony has gotten better with those. I don't shoot JPEG, but something to think about.
Yeah JPEGS are not consistent between bodies. The RII and RIII handle things differently to say the least.

Sep 8, 2019
Yeah JPEGS are not consistent between bodies. The RII and RIII handle things differently to say the least.
That video was very eye-opening. I guess I need to do a bit more research because now I am leaning towards the Canon EOS M50. Definitely feeling a bit overwhelmed as a beginner jumping into this with so many different features to juggle and not knowing which ones to prioritize with no real experience. Thank you guys for the help!

Oct 25, 2017
That video was very eye-opening. I guess I need to do a bit more research because now I am leaning towards the Canon EOS M50. Definitely feeling a bit overwhelmed as a beginner jumping into this with so many different features to juggle and not knowing which ones to prioritize with no real experience. Thank you guys for the help!
What's your budget? Honestly just toss your money at Fuji and call it a day.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd perfer to stay in the $600ish range if possible but willing to go up a couple hundred if necessary.
Regarding overall handling, out of camera jpegs, aesthetics and lens lineup Fuji has Sony beat in the crop sensor arena.
These are good bargains:
Used Fuji X-E3
Used Fuji X-T20
There are more models I could've recommended but they're over $800. I shoot Fuji when I'm not in the mood/need to shoot Sony, they're great cameras.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Canon M line is still hard to recommend because of the ongoing issue with lens selection. I know that Sigma is coming to the rescue but it still seems non-great. In their recent review of the M6ii, DPreview TV pointed out that there aren't actually more than 1-2 lenses in the lineup that can even resolve well enough to justify the 32mpx. However, if you don't intend to amass lenses, it's a good choice for you given that you can buy it with the (not so hot) kit lens for 650.

If you want to buy new, I'd say look at the Fuji X-E3 since it's currently 100 off at $599. Then buy a lens of your choice, preferably used to keep the budget down.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Canon M line is still hard to recommend because of the ongoing issue with lens selection. I know that Sigma is coming to the rescue but it still seems non-great. In their recent review of the M6ii, DPreview TV pointed out that there aren't actually more than 1-2 lenses in the lineup that can even resolve well enough to justify the 32mpx. However, if you don't intend to amass lenses, it's a good choice for you given that you can buy it with the (not so hot) kit lens for 650.

If you want to buy new, I'd say look at the Fuji X-E3 since it's currently 100 off at $599. Then buy a lens of your choice, preferably used to keep the budget down.
I honestly just consider the Canon M cameras to be tourist grade cameras, IE you just buy it and never take the kit lens off of it. For anything professional it's a no, hell no even.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

just wait for the 6100,it has basically the same AF as the new a7

Sep 8, 2019
Thanks all! Greatly appreciate the feedback and input. Looks like I am weighing my options between the Sony A6100 and a used Fuji XT20. Both are pretty compelling and am thinking I won't be disappointed in either choice. Just a matter of preference. Right now Fuji seems to have the leg up in regards to lens options, menu options, and button layout/ features.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I have this problem where Fuji AF seems to be improving rapidly so I always feel like, ok the next camera is going to be amazing!
XT3 is so beastly that there's not much point.

If you have that budget, just get XT30 and call it a day. Anyone buying APS-C should basically get a Fuji.