• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks all! Greatly appreciate the feedback and input. Looks like I am weighing my options between the Sony A6100 and a used Fuji XT20. Both are pretty compelling and am thinking I won't be disappointed in either choice. Just a matter of preference. Right now Fuji seems to have the leg up in regards to lens options, menu options, and button layout/ features.
Apsc = Fuji
Fuji = dials
Dials = X-E3, X-T3, etc

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that the A6000 is a REALLY old body. Check out this video that DPreview did a while back before about 50 other cameras came out... the 6000 didn't compare particularly well with the cameras of the time even a little over a year ago.

That said, if you don't need the new features you don't! Looking at the camera from my perspective, the thing that you might want to be concerned about is JPEGs, my impression is that the 6000s JPEGs are pretty bad. I think Sony has gotten better with those. I don't shoot JPEG, but something to think about.

Obligatory ghostemoji Flickr link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tylerjacobs.

Keep in mind he does black magic with the camera and takes weeks to prepare and post-process the stuff.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017

Keep in mind he does black magic with the camera and takes weeks to prepare and post-process the stuff.

These are awesome.

There's always a thing when recommending cameras where... until recently I was shooting with a seven year old DSLR. There were some things it couldn't do, and I can crop more aggressively now, but I wouldn't say a seven year leap was transformative. So if you don't want the latest stuff, or you are trying to get into a system at a low price point, you shouldn't be too worried about missing utterly essential features. Especially if you are shooting with RAW. I think most of the technology of the last few years has been about reducing miss rate when shooting, and if you are OK with a higher miss rate, like I am, and weeding out a few that turned out great, then a new camera may not move the needle for you.

OTOH there are people like Jaded who shoot professionally and get paid for being able to provide exactly the shots needed every time, and these things can make life vastly easier for them.

Oct 25, 2017

Him and I do two very different things, but we are both very good at what we do. I wish I could plan my shoots as well as he does. I honestly just walk around and photograph random things...or cover events and do headshots. I'm more adaptive to the random and he's very good at creating long exposure landscape art.
These are awesome.

There's always a thing when recommending cameras where... until recently I was shooting with a seven year old DSLR. There were some things it couldn't do, and I can crop more aggressively now, but I wouldn't say a seven year leap was transformative. So if you don't want the latest stuff, or you are trying to get into a system at a low price point, you shouldn't be too worried about missing utterly essential features. Especially if you are shooting with RAW. I think most of the technology of the last few years has been about reducing miss rate when shooting, and if you are OK with a higher miss rate, like I am, and weeding out a few that turned out great, then a new camera may not move the needle for you.

OTOH there are people like Jaded who shoot professionally and get paid for being able to provide exactly the shots needed every time, and these things can make life vastly easier for them.
I can still technically rock an event on my D4 and D810, I just can't at this point because my job wants me to send shit from the location...that and I have better low light primes on E mount than I do on F mount. When your job has you rocking up to random rooms and expecting good shots you better be prepared. What's an outside? 90% of my stuff is indoors. I want to be known for providing my job with good captures and for the most part I am. It's like either go broke or go home.
Any of you know much about gimbals?
Makes sure you get one weight compliant for your camera and lens combo and calibrate it to the focal length that you're going to be using. Get one weight rated for like 3 pounds over what you're going to be using, the tolerances are tight with these.,

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yea. Whatchu need to know?
Well I want to get gimbals for my phone and mirrorless Sony camera. I watched lots of reviews on phone gimbals and decided to back one from Zhiyun instead of get their current Best Buy / Amazon models out there or the DJI Osmo 3 (which has a weaker motor, is plastic, and can't stand without a tripod). So I'm good on Smartphone for now.

But I have no clue where to go for mirrorless down the line... is the smartest thing just to check the weight limits? Or should I youtube people with my same a6300 for ideas?

I guess I'm wondering who the big players are in affordable non-Smartphone gimbals

Oct 25, 2017
Well I want to get gimbals for my phone and mirrorless Sony camera. I watched lots of reviews on phone gimbals and decided to back one from Zhiyun instead of get their current Best Buy / Amazon models out there or the DJI Osmo 3 (which has a weaker motor, is plastic, and can't stand without a tripod). So I'm good on Smartphone for now.

But I have no clue where to go for mirrorless down the line... is the smartest thing just to check the weight limits? Or should I youtube people with my same a6300 for ideas?

I guess I'm wondering who the big players are in affordable non-Smartphone gimbals
Definitely check the weight limits and don't buy anything weighted for a micro four thirds camera because if it exceeds the weight rating for the gimbal it ain't stabilizing shit. Phone gimbals are a lot easier to work with.

Last edited:

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts

Yams is right; I own the Ronin S and the SC!

On the subject of wanting a gimbal for a Sony mirrorless, I'll say that the Ronin SC feels like it's being pushed to the limit with my A7III + Tamron 28-75, despite all the pro-sumer Youtube endorsement for that exact gimbal/camera/lens combo. If you're using an A6300 and an APS-C lens combination, I bet you'd be AOK with the Ronin SC or even Weebill Lab.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Thanks for the replies. Another question:

y'all pay for Flickr to host images still or is there an alternative?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have so much shit in there that I figured I'd just pay for it.
Ok, I pay for it at the moment and don't see any way to manage my account so I'm stuck with it I guess. I went to their help section and it says under Settings>Membership Status I can update my billing info... but there's nothing under Membership Status to click at all

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Any ideas on travel tripods? I was into the Peak Design one, but that's shipping on March 2020, which doesn't work.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i take my Gitzo everywhere. Its large enough to fit into a medium sized suitcase with the head off. I've also carried it on attached to my camera bag.

Never leave home without my tripod.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Typically I don't like to, as daytime city travel doesn't require that, and the more I carry the less my enjoyment. But trekking through Costa Rica last year, I hiked up to two exquisite waterfalls: La Fortuna is the famous one, and everyone goes to. It's beautiful, fine. But Nauyaca was a revelation after 4 miles of steep hiking. The relief when you reach it, and jump into it. That's something else.

Either way, long story short....light durable tripod + ND filter = nice photos from those similar locales. I'm probably not hitting those again soon, but for the future, for similar treks.

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back from New York and this is what I saw lol

Most tourist are rocking entry level DSLRs, lots of Nikon, then Canon, and what I felt was a split between Sony/Fuji crop cameras for Mirrorless. I did see some weirdos with Micro 4/3 cameras and a couple dudes rocking Medium Format Fujis.

I definitely saw more Sony Full Frame than Nikon or Canon. Spotted two D750s the entire week I was there, I wanted to be like "sup, Bruh!" I didn't do it haha.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
1) What websites do y'all use to upload and share photos online? Imgur downscales stuff iirc. See PC macro shot below.

2) I need a case for my Panasonic G7. It'd be great if it can hold the kit lens plus my Olympus macro lens, as well as a spare battery pack. Any specific models or brands anyone could recommend?

xWFN4BU.jpg

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017

Most tourist are rocking entry level DSLRs, lots of Nikon, then Canon, and what I felt was a split between Sony/Fuji crop cameras for Mirrorless. I did see some weirdos with Micro 4/3 cameras and a couple dudes rocking Medium Format Fujis.

I definitely saw more Sony Full Frame than Nikon or Canon. Spotted two D750s the entire week I was there, I wanted to be like "sup, Bruh!" I didn't do it haha.

I live in a tourist town and I still basically only see entry level DSLRs from years ago. People just aren't eager to upgrade I guess.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
1) What websites do y'all use to upload and share photos online? Imgur downscales stuff iirc. See PC macro shot below.

2) I need a case for my Panasonic G7. It'd be great if it can hold the kit lens plus my Olympus macro lens, as well as a spare battery pack. Any specific models or brands anyone could recommend?

xWFN4BU.jpg

I use Flickr for photos, you have to pay for more than 2000 photos at a time but it's hard to find anything better that's free. And I don't mind supporting them.

Oct 25, 2017

If you saw some guy in Duffy Square with the 135GM that was me probably lol. I pretty much see the same trends. I also see the occasional Leica as well, see the occasional film camera as well. I see a lot of A6xxx cameras, occasional Panasonic...then again I live here so I see a good amount of things randomly. Saw a guy in B&H with the GFX100 about two weeks ago. I'm honestly just glad nobody has asked me to take a picture with their Canon Rebel in a bit, those things really feel like shit in your hand.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly... something. They seem to be pushing it in the direction of "this is a Leica" with the quirky screen choice. And making it out of titanium.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing around with my wife's iPhone 11 Pro and man, this shit is impressive. Having an equivalent of 13mm, 26mm, and 52mm lenses in one tiny package with a ton of crazy powerful software features to make up for the sensor size limitations and composite/edit images seamlessly in seconds is really just kind of crazy. With smartphones like this, I could never recommend a dedicated camera to the vast majority of people.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Yep, specially in situations you can't even take cameras.

Also Fuji dropped the 33 F1 and changed to 50 F1....which is actually ok in my book. Lens seems quite handle able.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly... something. They seem to be pushing it in the direction of "this is a Leica" with the quirky screen choice. And making it out of titanium.
Not as brave as Leica but I dig the hell out of it. Too many cameras these days offer essentially the same shooting experience with just minor differences in specs and menus. Good on Fuji for attempting something different.

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that no rear LCD is some stupid-ass hipster fucking bullshit. What a dumb idea.
Lol, why are you so angry over a camera? All kinds of cameras are enjoyed by all kinds of people. This camera is going to be very popular in Japan and hipsters, whoever you imagine hipsters to be, won't have anything to do with it.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the titanium body will have a price impact. I always heard titanium was a pain in the ass.

I think Leica made some special titanium bodies but that might be it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already hitting the point where my next camera is the A7IV to replace the A7RII as my secondary body. I'd like the X-H2, but I barely bring the Fuji's to events so what's the point. Regarding the X-Pro 3 I'm already mad that they got rid of four custom buttons by dropping the D-pad. I bet the titanium also ups the price as well.
X-pro line is made with the street urban photographer in mind
These people only shoot with the wider primes I think which this is balanced for. The event photography body is the X-Tx line and X-H series, which is where I fall into.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be way more interested in the X Pro line if they had a good way to work with manual focus lenses. But if I attach a vintage lens to it I'm gonna have no idea where I'm shooting. :/

Gimme a screenless X-E5 and I'm game tho.

Went to Chicago last 2 days, forgot to pack the 21mm and only had the 9mm. Is 9mm too wide for street photography? Yeah. But it's perfect for city photography.
Nothing too impressive coming, but I have a few shots I think I'll be proud of.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, why are you so angry over a camera? All kinds of cameras are enjoyed by all kinds of people. This camera is going to be very popular in Japan and hipsters, whoever you imagine hipsters to be, won't have anything to do with it.

Im not ANGRY i just think its some dumb bullshit. There's plenty of other fujis for me to shoot with. Kinda funny you wanted to start a fight over it, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Not having an accessible rear LCD is a bullshit and dumb idea. Maybe you want the X-Pro form factor and viewfinder and still want to be able to use your LCD like on a normal camera.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that Xpro 3 display idea is just bad. If you could simply turn it 180° it would actually rock. Loose that small display at any rate.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah, that Xpro 3 display idea is just bad. If you could simply turn it 180° it would actually rock. Loose that small display at any rate.
Or even keep it, just let people have their display face outwards where they can use it however the hell they want. I don't chimp, I have image display turned off, but I like being able to shoot through the LCD however I want.