• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, look at all the other angry people! lol

I like using the back LCD. I take a lot of shots of things like action figures and model kits and getting awkward angles on my subject is a SHITTON easier with a back lcd. sure you can flip it open and use that inner lcd but its more difficult that an traditional rear-lcd.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the settings panel would be a pretty cool addition to those Canon and Lumix cameras that swivel out completely and let you hide/protect the LCD screen. As it is, though, I'm not a fan, but the X-Pro 3 was never for me anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Does the X-Pro 3 not rotate? If not this could be a very bad event photography camera especially for those times when you need to raise the camera over your head.

Oct 25, 2017
the x-pro line isn't made for event photography
I referenced my knowledge of this in the previous page. Even as a street photographer I don't exactly get a line specialized solely for street photography...especially at a premium price. I guess to keep it simple I usually just prefer a camera that can do everything well since I tend to use my stuff for everything.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I referenced my knowledge of this in the previous page. Even as a street photographer I don't exactly get a line specialized solely for street photography...especially at a premium price. I guess to keep it simple I usually just prefer a camera that can do everything well since I tend to use my stuff for everything.

because there's a huge market for it in places like Japan and in the street photography world.

Oct 25, 2017
Also regarding the whole "event body" thing. I was at an event Saturday and the photographer from I think the NY Post had an X100T around his neck with probably a 5D something or other with the 24-70 2.8 with a flash on his side. The whole "event body" thing needs to die out, photographers use many things for their event coverage.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Anyways, that's the second body announced from Fuji. We know they registered three bodies. Any guess as to what it will be?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Also regarding the whole "event body" thing. I was at an event Saturday and the photographer from I think the NY Post had an X100T around his neck with probably a 5D something or other with the 24-70 2.8 with a flash on his side. The whole "event body" thing needs to die out, photographers use many things for their event coverage.
ive literally never heard of "event body" until your post.

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Nikon are announcing new APS-C mirrorless cameras.

The first mirrorless APS-C camera from Nikon will be called Z50 and will be announced together with two new DX lenses:
  • Nikon Z50: APS-C mirrorless camera, 20MP, 3" pivoted LCD, EVF, 11 fps
  • Z-Nikkor 16-55mm f/3.5-6.3 small lightweight collapsible kit DX lens
  • Z-Nikkor 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 small lightweight collapsible DX lens
  • The Nikon Z50 will use the new Nikon EN-EL25 battery
  • The official announcement will be soon
It seems that Nikon will be using the Z(x) naming for their full-frame mirrorless cameras and Z(xx) for the APS-C (DX) models as previously reported here.

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2019/09/23/...50mm-to-be-announced-soon.aspx/#ixzz60OLTdkkI

Oct 25, 2017
They couldn't even put the bog standard 24MP sensor in it, probably using leftover D500 sensors.
casuals aint buying 35 1.8 lenses.
Casuals ain't buying lenses, period. Some fucking event photographers don't even buy lenses or a FLASH!!!! My last event had someone running around in a dark environment with an NEX-7 and that silver beer can all in one lens snapping at shit with NO FLASH!!! My manager said the stuff looked dark on Twitter. I WONDER WHY?!!!
giphy.gif

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
They couldn't even put the bog standard 24MP sensor in it, probably using leftover D500 sensors.

Casuals ain't buying lenses, period. Some fucking event photographers don't even buy lenses or a FLASH!!!! My last event had someone running around in a dark environment with an NEX-7 and that silver beer can all in one lens snapping at shit with NO FLASH!!! My manager said the stuff looked dark on Twitter. I WONDER WHY?!!!
giphy.gif
They buy kit lenses that come in combo packages.

Oct 25, 2017
They buy kit lenses that come in combo packages.
I have a very bad habit of not considering kit lenses as much of anything. The Fuji one is OK, but the 18-55's and all in one variable aperture compromise ones are a bit...no for me. Granted I'm that asshole that has been running around with a 135GM for my last couple of events, but you know what. That shit delivers.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Not having a proper internet connection isn't really the same thing as you not liking something lol.
They are explicitly making the use of the rear LCD more difficult, out of a patronizing view of how users should use or not their cameras. It's objectively making the camera worse by making it less versatile. If you really don't want to see the LCD you can turn it off or put tape over it, but it's only normal that people complain when a camera they were interested in is announced to have a huge gimmick that impacts functionality.
This is like Apple removing the headphone jack, only worse because it doesn't even save space or help with water resistance.

Maybe the next Audi A4 should make you drive in a position where you look at the road between your own legs, and don't anyone complain, because it's different and innovative.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are explicitly making the use of the rear LCD more difficult, out of a patronizing view of how users should use or not their cameras. It's objectively making the camera worse by making it less versatile. If you really don't want to see the LCD you can turn it off or put tape over it, but it's only normal that people complain when a camera they were interested in is announced to have a huge gimmick that impacts functionality.
This is like Apple removing the headphone jack, only worse because it doesn't even save space or help with water resistance.

Maybe the next Audi A4 should make you drive in a position where you look at the road between your own legs, and don't anyone complain, because it's different and innovative.
How does it impact functionality? It takes photos just the same as it would if there was a big LCD at the back. The image-capturing process is exactly the same. The only thing that changes is you can't view your photos obsessively after each snap. If that's what you want to do, well good thing there's plenty of other cameras on the market that give you a big LCD screen to chimp with. Not every camera released needs to cater to you and your specific wants. That's the kind of entitlement I'm surprised to see is slipping in from gaming side.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yay! A9 firmware added the new ability to change the color of the focus area square. Finally! I think I'm sticking with white for now (red, gray, and white are options).

How does it impact functionality? It takes photos just the same as it would if there was a big LCD at the back. The image-capturing process is exactly the same. The only thing that changes is you can't view your photos obsessively after each snap. If that's what you want to do, well good thing there's plenty of other cameras on the market that give you a big LCD screen to chimp with. Not every camera released needs to cater to you and your specific wants. That's the kind of entitlement I'm surprised to see is slipping in from gaming side.

Or, you know, some people might like to shoot through the LCD without having to pull it out from the body. Personally, I shoot probably over 90% of the time with the LCD and almost never "chimp." Like I wrote earlier, I think it would make sense as on a swivel-out LCD, but their implementation is just weird.

That's neat! I always like the idea of having a single lens mount support both APS-C and full frame bodies.

Last edited:

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or, you know, some people might like to shoot through the LCD without having to pull it out from the body. Personally, I shoot probably over 90% of the time with the LCD and almost never "chimp." Like I wrote earlier, I think it would make sense as on a swivel-out LCD, but their implementation is just weird.
That's a good point, fair enough. It is strange that it only goes out downward rather than swiveling out.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I never chimp. Having an LCD you can use from various angles, including when it sits flat against the camera, like the X-T series has, is objectively more versatile and adds more value to the camera than this stupid-ass idea. Maybe you want to shoot from a tripod, or handheld from overhead, or in any other position, and this camera severely compromises the live view functionality for a gimmicky and patronizing reason.

If you don't want to chimp, don't chimp, and if somebody wants to chimp it's their fucking problem.
That screen setup is something that objectively detracts from the productivity of that camera as a tool, and pointing it out is not entitlement, it's common sense.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Incoming... just pulled the trigger on a Contax G1 Green Label w/ Planar 45/2

So stoked to get out and shoot with this thing. Anyone have any tips or experience using one?

yTUpe20.png

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so the 135GM has become like a must bring lens for my event work. I'm starting to just look at people weird when they say they can't find a use for this god damn thing, I don't even regret the investment.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Considering upgrading from my X100s and finding it hard to decide between the X-H1 and X-T3. The former has the body stabilisation which actually looks incredible, but the size is nearing SLRs which I was happy to leave behind. The T3 has all the video and autofocus improvements and a great form factor (but no IBIS!)

jongkookie

Oct 25, 2017
Odd request, but can I get a heat check on a D800 in 2019? Lol.

I ask because I have one but ever since I got my X-H1, I've been considering on selling my D800.

I don't even use the D800 as much anymore. I shot an event with it a few months ago but other than that, it's been sitting in the bag at home while I take my X-H1 everywhere with me and exclusively use it for my day job.

But I took the D800 with me last weekend for fun and imo, it still is fantastic despite it's shortcomings,(no 4K video, 4fps burst, heavy af) that I'm starting to think it would be a ridiculously dumb move for me to sell it lol. Like I can probably sell my entire Nikon kit and pick up an a7III, X-T30/X-T3, X-A7, whatever FF/APS-C MILC with 4K video, but getting something other than the Z7 or a7r line feels like a downgrade and it'd just sit in my bag until I need it again(or my X-H1 gets relegated to backup duties). :\

Considering upgrading from my X100s and finding it hard to decide between the X-H1 and X-T3. The former has the body stabilisation which actually looks incredible, but the size is nearing SLRs which I was happy to leave behind. The T3 has all the video and autofocus improvements and a great form factor (but no IBIS!)

As an X-H1 owner and somebody who also has a goliath DSLR, I will say that the X-H1 just looks hefty, but it really isn't. I've traveled a lot with my X-H1 and it still isn't really an issue.

IMO, it comes down to how you use a camera. If you have a bunch of lenses you'd want to adapt to Fuji then the X-H1 is the best choice. But if you absolutely need the hardcore video capabilities then the X-T3 is it. Personally tho, I think the X-H1 is the better choice out of the two as it strikes a good balance of value, features and usability. Either way, I don't think you'd go wrong with the X-H1 or X-T3... just set that thing to Classic Chrome and don't even mess with your settings... I literally have been shooting on CC for like months now and it's just downright gorgeous lol.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Try pro negative hi, they are very similar, but pro neg is slightly more saturated if you have a colorful background

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I got the Fujinon 16-55mm f2.8 a few months ago and I really like it but now the 16-80 f4 came out and is supposedly amazing? Kind of a bummer if it's all-around better. :-(

Oct 25, 2017
I got the Fujinon 16-55mm f2.8 a few months ago and I really like it but now the 16-80 f4 came out and is supposedly amazing? Kind of a bummer if it's all-around better. :-(
Depends on what you need it for. I personally would take the 2.8 over the reach increase. I have enough lenses that go beyond the 120mm range at a higher aperture that I'm not looking at this lens. If they like it fine, but I don't feel it's something that I need to have.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
the 16-80 f4 sounds like it could be awesome. Not sure if i'll need it though, since all the focal lengths > 50mm i have covered by the 50-140mm f2.8 that I finally decided to keep.