• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the camera equipment thread, for discussing everything to do with cameras, lenses, and anything used in the photography process. In addition to this thread, you should also check out Photography ERA |OT|, for posting and discussing your photographs.

So you want advice on buying a camera?

If you're looking to buy a new camera and have some questions, you're in the right place! Rather than just posting "What camera should I buy?", try to answer as many of these questions as possible so we can recommend the camera that's right for you:

1. What's your budget?
2. What size/form factor do you prefer?
3. What kinds of subjects will you be shooting?
4. What level of photography experience do you have?
5. Do you plan on upgrading in the future with lenses and accessories?

Glossary

DSLR - Digital Single Lens Reflex camera - A digital camera with interchangeable lenses with a mirror inside which allows you so see through the lens while composing your shot. Canon and Nikon are the biggest brands here.
MILC - Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera - Unlike DSLRs these (surprise, surprise), don't have a mirror inside. Instead, you use either the screen on the back of the camera, or an electronic viewfinder, to compose your image. The lack of a mirror means these can usually be more compact than DSLRs, although there's no difference in image quality between the two form-factors.
Micro Four Thirds (M43) - These cameras use a sensor which is one-quarter the size of a full 35mm film frame, allowing for more compact cameras and lenses, at the expense of low light performance and depth of field. Panasonic and Olympus make M43 MILC cameras and lenses, and they both use the same lens mount, so lenses are interchangeable between the two brands.
APS-C - APS-C is a sensor size that is a little under half the area of a full 35mm film frame. It's long been a popular format for it's combination of affordability and low-light and shallow depth of field. Canon, Nikon and Pentax make APS-C DSLRs, and Sony, Fuji and Canon make APS-C MILCs
Full-Frame - Full-frame cameras have imaging sensors the same size as a 35mm film. Larger sensors gather more light, which makes them better in low-light scenarios, and they also allow you to achieve a shallower depth of field (more bokeh). They are however, generally bigger and more expensive than M43 or APS-C cameras. Canon, Nikon and Pentax make full-frame DSLRs, and Sony make full-frame MILCs.
Medium Format - Medium format covers any sensor size larger than full frame. These cameras (and their lenses) can be very expensive, but give the best image quality available for professional work. Pentax, Fuji, Hasselblad, Leica and Phase One have medium format offerings.

Useful Resources

News:
DPReview.com - News and in-depth reviews of DSLR, MILC and higher-end compact cameras
Rumours:
SonyAlphaRumors.com - Sony
43Rumors.com - Micro Four Thirds cameras (Panasonic & Olympus)
FujiRumors.com - Fujifilm
CanonRumors.com - Canon
NikonRumors.com - Nikon

This OP is a work in progress, so any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thraktor

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
To start things off, I think it would be interesting to see what kind of gear people are shooting with.

Here's my main setup as it is right now:

Recent acquisitions
by Owen Rooney, on Flickr

That's a Sony A7II with a bunch of Canon and Leica manual focus SLR lenses. I've also got a Panasonic GM1 with an Olympus 25mm f/1.8 as my pocketable option, and then a variety of film cameras that I don't use nearly as much as I'd like.
Considering upgrading to the a7riii. Those megapixels on landscapes must look ridiculous.
If you're purely looking for resolution, the A7R II has the same sensor and should come down in price when MkIII releases. That said, pretty much everything else on the A7R III looks like a nice step up.

Last edited:

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah they made some nice changes, better viewfinder, bigger battery, better AF. But I guess the mark ii is still perfectly fine with the same sensor. Sometimes I'm thinking about switching, because I love Shooting landscapes...

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
So it seems that the only store on Amazon selling the Canon 85mm 1.4 is Amazon themselves, will third parties be able to sell it at a later date or are they the exclusive seller?

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, thanks for starting the thread. I currently have an A7, but I'm considering upgrading to A7rII now that rIII is announced. Hopefully it's gonna go down in price. My current setup is:

A7
FE 16-35 f4
FE 55 f1.8
FE 90 f2.8
FE 70-200 f4

And a bunch of legacy lenses like Minolta 50mm f1.8, Helios 44-2, Tamron 135 f2.8. My recent bargain was finding a zebra-stripe Zeiss Jena 135 f3.5 for 50 sek (around 6$).

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I'll throw my hat into the ring:

I have a functional budget of around $1000 to get started. I really want to get into nature photography, with a eye towards macro as I love insects and want to better capture them. To complicate matters I also am planning on starting a family in the next year and want something that can shoot video and what not.

The Sony A6000 is on sale for $550 with a kit lens with the kit less and a zoom lens for $750, the A6300 is a bit pricier at $930 for the body and base kit lens, or $1250 for the bundle with a zoom lens as well.

The 6300 is a better camera, but I like the idea of trying out things with the $550 A6000 with the kit lens. Thoughts?

Also, anyone using the Lumix LX10 as a pocket travel cam? That thing seems like a pretty decent little camera for the money. :)

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So I'm new at this. I recently got an Olympus OMD EM10 Mark II camera with a basic 14-42mm non-pancake lens. I'm basically in the phase of needing to just get more confident about shots and learning the camera. Work has kept it on the sideline, but I need to just get out there I guess.... and read the manual. I want to get better in advance of a trip I'm taking next year to South Africa. although I know by that point, I'll probably need a higher quality lens to get some of the shots I'm imagining.

Either way, it's a massive step up from trying to capture sights with my smartphone like I did last year when I traveled to Europe.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks so much for making the thread! I was beginning to think I would have to make one and that wouldn't be good for anyone!

I just pre-ordered the Sony A7R III on Amazon yesterday. I've had the A7R II for a year now and it's an amazing camera, but the A7r III looks like it will fix just about all of my qualms with it. Hopefully I can get a decent amount back for selling my II.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA

I have a functional budget of around $1000 to get started. I really want to get into nature photography, with a eye towards macro as I love insects and want to better capture them. To complicate matters I also am planning on starting a family in the next year and want something that can shoot video and what not.

The Sony A6000 is on sale for $550 with a kit lens with the kit less and a zoom lens for $750, the A6300 is a bit pricier at $930 for the body and base kit lens, or $1250 for the bundle with a zoom lens as well.

The 6300 is a better camera, but I like the idea of trying out things with the $550 A6000 with the kit lens. Thoughts?

Also, anyone using the Lumix LX10 as a pocket travel cam? That thing seems like a pretty decent little camera for the money. :)

The a6000 is a fantastic beginner camera. Being this close to Black Friday I would say wait to see if you can score a better deal.

No matter which body you chose, I would recommend getting the body only and pairing it with the Sony 35mm f1.8. Superb lens.

My girlfriend and I have the standard kit lens and the zoom one that comes in the bundle. We have barely used the kit lens in the past two years. She used to use the 55-210mm, but have since upgraded to a 70-200. For a beginner, and if you aren't planning on acquiring more gear then it might be worth to get it. Image quality is okay. If that lens interests you, then get the bundle with the two lenses and sell the kit one, and keep the zoom.

Reckoner

Oct 26, 2017

Check Fujifilm APS-C offerings too. There are more lenses available, better and cheaper. I'm looking to buy a used X-E2 myself to get started.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love to have this OT "back".

Im seriously thinking about selling my A7II right now to get the A7rIII. Era, talk me out of it.

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017

Im seriously thinking about selling my A7II right now to get the A7rIII. Era, talk me out of it.

What do you need that the Mark II doesn't have? If it's the better AF, then go for it.

Battery? Sure, nice to have, but buying one more replacement battery is cheap.

Better EVF? Also nice to have, but I doubt it will make your pictures better.

Most usefull would probably be the AF joystick and second card slot, besides the better AF

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Depends on what you shoot, of course, but you're in for one hell of an upgrade if you do that.

My only real disappointment with the A7R III is that it doesn't have the stacked sensor tech that allows for dramatic reduction in rolling shutter effect when shooting with the electronic shutter. The A9 and RX100 V have this and it's great for shooting silently, but it looks like the A7R III uses the same kind of silent shooting as the A7R II, but it just allows you to shoot at 10 FPS instead of single frame only.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zefah TerryLee81: AF performance on the A7II is, IMO, abysmal given the price. Something that only started to bother me once I started to take pics of my son.

Oh and that little annoyance about it overheating >:(
Which is something Sony apparent fixed with the A9 and I hope whatever they changed found it's way into the A7rIII. That's also the biggest reason I don't want to upgrade to a A7rII.

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
Zefah TerryLee81: AF performance on the A7II is, IMO, abysmal given the price. Something that only started to bother me once I started to take pics of my son.

Oh and that little annoyance about it overheating >:(
Which is something Sony apparent fixed with the A9 and I hope whatever they changed found it's way into the A7rIII. That's also the biggest reason I don't want to upgrade to a A7rII.

Oh wait, I thought you have the A7rII. As an upgrade from the A7II the rIII should be a big step up.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had an A7R II for a year and have never had it overheat on me, but I don't do a lot of extended video recording. Maybe 10 minutes at a time max.

But, yeah, auto-focus on anything pre-A7R II in Sony's Alpha camera line up leaves a lot to be desired.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I started shooting with Canon 5 years ago and then moved on to Nikon 3 years ago, i currentlt own 2 D750, 1 D810 and i consider my equipment pretty complete wih a 24,35,50,85,70-200 and a recently purchased 105mm micro lens for my food photograpy.

BUT i really really want a a7rII, helo me gaf, i do phot and video from wedding to commercial stuff and i'm really tempted to get it mainly for video, i purchased an a6000 a couple of months ago btw.

My main concern is having to invest in new expensive lenses to go with the camera :(

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gaf won't help you here Cosmo Kramer, but ERA might :D

I would say: Sell the Nikon bodies and get a D850. That camera is more up to date then the A7rII. Don't you already have a good video cam with the a6000?
Good Sony glas is expensive and adaptability with Nikon glas is spotty last I checked.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Aha! Finally! Just wanted to say that PeakDesign's messenger bags are great. Except when you trip over with the flap open and you 5D3 bounces out onto concrete...

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Nikon adapters seem pretty spotty on Sony bodies. I haven't looked into it in a while, though.

The A7R II and the upcoming III, especially, will definitely be better for video, but that's a hell of an investment to make.

Cosmo Kramer

Oct 28, 2017
México
Yeah i know, the RIII is out of the picture for sure, but i'll wait after the it comes out to see if i can find a nice deal on the II

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can already get them used for around $1800 and I'm sure they will be dropping even lower a bit after the III comes out. I'm going to be looking to selling mine once my III arrives. Hoping to get at least $1500 for it, but I can see the price really dropping out if the III gets good reviews and everyone upgrades.

Speaking of which, where do you all usually sell your camera gear?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Macro? That my jam.

Get the A6300. The a6000's only weakness as a macro camera is that the EVF refresh rate isn't the greatest when at lower light, and the A6300 improved on that front. I would consider the A6300 to be, probably, the best macro camera to buy.

As for lens, fuck everything Sony makes. Instead, point yourself to some manual focus macro lenses. You'll save a butt ton of cash, and get everything you need in a form factor that's BETTER for Macro. Sony's macro lenses are only good if you want them to be double duty, but that's not what we are interested.
If you need a pointer as to a specific lens, look at the Canon FD 50mm 3.5 macro (WITH EXTENSION TUBE). It costed me around $100 shipped off of eBay to get images like these:

Patient Predator by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
8 Legged Freak by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20160512-20160512-DSC03481.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20160512-20160512-DSC03458.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20160512-20160512-DSC03411.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20160512-20160512-DSC03351.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20160512-20160512-DSC03345.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

Also this thread is now about spiders.

Royal_Flush

Oct 25, 2017
Hi folks!

I'm currently looking for a new camera.

I'm very new to (better) photograhy. So far my main camera was my smartphone and occasionally when hiking with a friend some Canon DSLR he has. The phone just doesn't cut it anymore. I'm sick of the ultra-wide lense it necessarily has and I'd like to have at least some bokeh without being literally 5cm away from my subject.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a DSLR for quite some time now, but never acted on it. Now a recent development: I'll be going on a backpacking trip through Thailand in a couple of week and of course ant to shoot a couple pf pictures there. However, I don't think it's a good idea to take some heavy and bulky DSLR with me, right? So I've been looking into compact cameras but as far as I see those won't really fulfill my desire for more "artistic" pictures, right? Also, decent ones cost in the range 200-350€ which honestly is not a price I'm willing to pay for something I'm not sure about at all...

So next thing I looked at were mirorless cameras and ... they look great? Image quality seems to be on par with entry-level DSLRs and you can buy lnew lenses for different purposes. In addition they're leightweight (if I read it correctly around 500g incl. lens) and more compact so you can blend in more easily. Only downsides are less battery live and that Canon and Nikon don't seem to be that big in that market so the good camera will have a limited second hand market for lenses.

My desired price limit is 400-500€ (incl. lens). I'm aware that this won't get me the state of the art full format camera with great lens, but I think it should fulfill my ambitions for the next couple of years... If the camera itself is good I can always buy a better lens later on and exchange the kit lense.

So, Era, here are my questions:
1. Are all my assumptions above correct. Is mirrorless the way to go in my price range with the urpose of taking it on a trip but later on experiment a bit and shoot different things (portrait, etc...)
2. I've done a bit of research and it seems that current models that are decent are not within my range so I've been looking into models that are 2-3 years old. I've found the Sony Alpha 5000 and the Panasonic Lumix GF7 which both are very cheap and seem to have very good test results. Which of he two would you recommend? Is there a hook I'm not yet seeing that makes both a bad choice?

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For your price range, mirrorless is absolutely where you should be looking. Particularly the A6000 with the kit zoom lens. It's super compact and will provide you with a huge jump in image quality from smartphone images and allow you to get some good bokeh. I think it's the best selling camera ever and it is for a good reason. An absolute steal at that price and great entry-point into digital photography beyond smartphones. Just don't expect miracles from it. It's very much an entry-level device.

Cosmo Kramer

Oct 28, 2017
México
I second the a6000 sugestion, just get a couple extra batteries and you'll be ser fo a while, once you get a feel for it you'll know what lens to get if you ever feel like you need to.

Oct 25, 2017
Image quality seems to be on par with entry-level DSLRs and you can buy lnew lenses for different purposes.
hahahahhahahaha no

There is zero difference in image quality from a DSLR to a mirrorless camera. DSLR or Mirrorless has absolutely no impact on the photo you take, just how you take it. Mirrorless cameras are available in a wide range, wider than DSLR's, and they go from toys to professional tools. The A7RII, I believe, was reigning champ of image quality for a good period, and it may still hold that crown Iunno. I'd imagine the Fuji GFX, another mirrorless camera, may have taken it's spot though.

Just don't expect miracles from it. It's very much an entry-level device

I'd like to introduce you to a man named Gary Fong.

2. I've done a bit of research and it seems that current models that are decent are not within my range so I've been looking into models that are 2-3 years old. I've found the Sony Alpha 5000 and the Panasonic Lumix GF7 which both are very cheap and seem to have very good test results. Which of he two would you recommend? Is there a hook I'm not yet seeing that makes both a bad choice?
I'd take the A5000. Both of these cameras are about the same "tier". The GF7 seems to be a smidge newer, but the A5000 has sensor size over it, which at this level is about the only thing that's going to really change, which means more bokeh and more IQ in general. That being said, the A6000 may not seem like a much better camera on paper, as a person who has owned both, the A6000 is a much, much nicer camera to have.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, Gary Fong and just about anyone else who is professional photographer with lighting equipment and the knowledge to use it can make just about anything produce impressive results! I just meant to not expect it.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, Gary Fong and just about anyone else who is professional photographer with lighting equipment and the knowledge to use it can make just about anything produce impressive results! I just meant to not expect it.

The a6000 is an incredibly capable camera. It's well suited for pretty much anything other than high speed sports. To call it a "very much entry level device" is akin to calling every other pro-sumer DSLR a "very much entry level device". When it was released, just about the only thing it was missing was full frame. It is a professionally capable camera. Full stop.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The a6000 is an incredibly capable camera. It's well suited for pretty much anything other than high speed sports. To call it a "very much entry level device" is akin to calling every other pro-sumer DSLR a "very much entry level device". When it was released, just about the only thing it was missing was full frame. It is a professionally capable camera. Full stop.

I get what you're saying, but in that case, really anything with a decent enough sensor can be considered a professional capable camera. I'm fine with that.

jongkookie

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see a similar thread pop up with familiar usernames lol.

Here's a crappy iPhone pic of my current gear:
viB7YlG.jpg

What's missing is a Series E 50mm 1.8 and a 28mm 3.5, idk where they are actually as they're not in any of my camera bags lol.

I'm personally waiting for the A7iii... would love the R or S but it'd be underutilized as I do a lot more video editing at my job and if I've got access to a FS7 for shooting purposes so yeah, it'd be a waste of money lol.

Do any of y'all carry a camera in your everyday carry? I've been thinking about doing that for a while now but I don't really see anything interesting as I drive for my commute. Plus I feel like my iPhone 7+ can do really good pictures to begin with so I'm kinda in-between on this idea.

PeetFeet

Oct 25, 2017
UK
For your price range, mirrorless is absolutely where you should be looking. Particularly the A6000 with the kit zoom lens. It's super compact and will provide you with a huge jump in image quality from smartphone images and allow you to get some good bokeh. I think it's the best selling camera ever and it is for a good reason. An absolute steal at that price and great entry-point into digital photography beyond smartphones. Just don't expect miracles from it. It's very much an entry-level device.

I second the a6000 sugestion, just get a couple extra batteries and you'll be ser fo a while, once you get a feel for it you'll know what lens to get if you ever feel like you need to.

I third the A6000, it's what I use and I have no issues with it. Takes great photos even with me at the helm, it's also very capable in low light, I do a lot of star photos and light painting with it. I'd suggest it with the kit lens and then when decided what lens suits you buy another.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Hey all. I am basically wanting to use my NX mini as my travel camera.
I like to travel light so my current kit is:
  • Samsung Gear 360 Gen 1 (I love taking 360 photos/videos, it's really great for capturing the moment in time)
  • Samsung NX Mini with the 9mm pancake lens (it's thin enough I can put it in my back pocket and the images I get are good enough IMO)
  • My quandary now is I would like to use the full-size NX lenses on the NX mini that I've been gathering on the cheap over the past 4 years. In fact I want to just use the 15-150 lens to keep my load as light as possible. The lens kit adapter used to be cheap but I guess now that it's discontinued the cost (even used) is now double. Anyone know where I can find it outside of eBay/Amazon at non-gouging pricing?

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
How much of a price drop are we expecting for A7rii?
Is the A7iii likely to be announced soon?

I've found my photography has changed a lot to street/landscape and I think it might be time to jump to full frame from m4/3 (em1)

Cosmo Kramer

Oct 28, 2017
México
The a7R III was announced days ago, you'll at least be able to find lots of II on the second hand market for sure.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA

You don't need the megapixels. It's a nightmare to manage those files especially if you do wedding, or event photography. It's expensive. What you need is the a7III. The only reason to get the a7rIII is if you print very large, or if you do static landscapes, mainly architecture shots.

How much of a price drop are we expecting for A7rii?
Is the A7iii likely to be announced soon?

I've found my photography has changed a lot to street/landscape and I think it might be time to jump to full frame from m4/3 (em1)

Can't answers your questions as nobody really knows. I was expecting the a7III to be announced instead of the a7rIII. Now I'm not expecting to be announced till next year.

Oct 25, 2017
I started shooting with Canon 5 years ago and then moved on to Nikon 3 years ago, i currentlt own 2 D750, 1 D810 and i consider my equipment pretty complete wih a 24,35,50,85,70-200 and a recently purchased 105mm micro lens for my food photograpy.

BUT i really really want a a7rII, helo me gaf, i do phot and video from wedding to commercial stuff and i'm really tempted to get it mainly for video, i purchased an a6000 a couple of months ago btw.

My main concern is having to invest in new expensive lenses to go with the camera :(
It's actually probably cheaper to get rid of the 750's for the 850 than it is to sell them for an A7RII, you have no Sony lenses and it'd be extra equipment to bring on a shoot since you'd have to pack around lenses for two systems. Not to mention the D850 is supposed to have AF better than the A7RII.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
@ lasthope106 Sadly I see no reason for Sony to release a A7III.
The A9 is for sports, the A7sIII is going to be for video and the A7rIII is the new (D850 like) allrounder.

A7II will become Sonys new cheap FF entry vehicle. That imo was apparent when they announced the "r" version before the A7III.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
@ lasthope106 Sadly I see no reason for Sony to release a A7III.
The A9 is for sports, the A7sIII is going to be for video and the A7rIII is the new (D850 like) allrounder.

A7II will become Sonys new cheap FF entry vehicle. That imo was apparent when they announced the "r" version before the A7III.

I really hope that isn't the case about the a7III. I need to upgrade to a dual-card camera, but photography something I do on the side. I really can't justify the price of the a7rIII.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Aha! Finally! Just wanted to say that PeakDesign's messenger bags are great. Except when you trip over with the flap open and you 5D3 bounces out onto concrete...

I have the backpack. Before getting used to having the zipper on both sides of the backpack, I had a lens flying out of it and hit the rocks as I turned around. Glad it wasn't one of my favorite lenses...

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Camera manufacturers have been doing that for years. It should have been introduced with the A7II in my opinion.
What other Manufacturer has had a fullframe mirrorless cameras at that form factor with two SD/XQD Slots for years on the marked?

The only thing that comes to mind is the Leica SL that was released at the beginning of 2016 for 7500$ (without XQD).
And Sonys response to that was the A9/A7rIII.

Im actually curious if there was a comparable device on the marked I'm forgetting now.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I third the A6000, it's what I use and I have no issues with it. Takes great photos even with me at the helm, it's also very capable in low light, I do a lot of star photos and light painting with it. I'd suggest it with the kit lens and then when decided what lens suits you buy another.

You've definitely got a point. It has its limitations, but was pretty much the best in category at the time it launched. I suppose that newer bodies have come a long way since the a6000 was released, so relatively, it has a good number of limitations, but you're right that it's an extremely capable camera. Definitely shouldn't be confused with the entry-level DSLRs like the Canon Rebel line or the bargain bin Nikons.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
What other Manufacturer has had a fullframe mirrorless cameras at that form factor with two SD/XQD Slots for years on the marked?

The only thing that comes to mind is the Leica SL that was released at the beginning of 2016 for 7500$ (without XQD).
And Sonys response to that was the A9/A7rIII.

Im actually curious if there was a comparable device on the marked I'm forgetting now.
Let's also not forget that the Leica was absolutely hilarious, because it was bigger than DSLRs too. It's like hey Leica, the point is over that way, where are you going?

As for the a6000, I'd say that really in terms of capturing images it has very few flaws. Most of it's issues are either due to its age (Or rather, that EVF and MILC in general are advancing rapidly), or that they crammed a beast of a camera into a body too small for some "nice but not required" features like two cards.