• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunar FC

Oct 25, 2017
Don't look at Leica, period, just don't do it if you're budget conscious. $1200 should net you an X-T2, if you want something in the micro 4/3rd's range you got plenty of options though the concept of slim kind of needs wiggle room regardless of what you get.
Also you're not looking for 4K 60P are you? If so it kind of just straight messes up your budget.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G85 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 12-60mm & 45-200mm Lenses and Case Kit
Panasonic Lumix DC-G95 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 12-60mm Lens
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera (Body Only) Find a cheap lens for this
Used Fujifilm X-T2 Mirrorless Digital Camera Body - Black E+ Find a cheap lens
4K 24p/30p should do the trick for the most part. Thanks for these options , i'll go through them now. 😃

Oct 25, 2017
Wow... looks like the A9 II didn't even get the upgraded EVF or LCD of the A7R IV. What a bunch of shit.
They phoned the camera in. I don't know if I should wait for an A7IV or just get a used A9 come black friday at this point.
4K 24p/30p should do the trick for the most part. Thanks for these options , i'll go through them now. 😃
Glad I could help. If you don't need 4K60 then you have more options, but I definitely gave you a pretty good starting point.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, €5.4K for not even a new sensor or EVF, at least I never have to feel bad about not owning an A9M2.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Hey guys,

Just started work on a minor in film at my university. It's always been something I have enjoyed and finally decided to pursue it a little bit more. I've never been too knowledgeable about cameras and would like to finally get a nice mid to high-end camera to work on the little projects I have rolling around in my head. Everything I have done up to this point is on a cheap Sony that i've had forever, my GoPro Hero 7 and a DJI Mavic Pro. My budget is currently around $1,200. I would prefer a slim/compact design that I can easily just throw my backpack. Preferably I would like something that is versatile, as I don't feel i'm at the level of filmmaking where I need to be owning various lenses. I'm somebody who really likes the aesthetics of the things, so i've always been drawn to Lecia. But, from the little research i've done they don't seem to produce cameras dedicated to video and the value just doesn't seem there. If there is a good lecia option for filmmaking I would love to hear about it from you guys or any other recommendations would be awesome as well.

Thanks!
Also look into a FUJI X100F, this is a camera for the creative types. It's a fixed lens camera with great looks and tactile feedback. You will learn a lot with the 35mm perspective. It's slim, compact, stylish and the possibilities are endless. It's a Leica without pretense. Only caveat is, a replacement is coming soon so you might wanna wait for that.

I bought the Benro CF tripod linked to earlier from Adorama. Seemed like the best bet. It's pretty nice, lot's of flexibility.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They phoned the camera in. I don't know if I should wait for an A7IV or just get a used A9 come black friday at this point.

Seems like they just addressed the main points that specifically sports shooting professionals wanted and demanded before being willing to switch to Sony. That was probably smart from a business perspective, since the competition hasn't even caught up to the A9 yet in terms of AF on mirrorless, but it sure is disappointing as an enthusiast. There's no way I can justify spending that much money just for ergonomics upgrades and an anti-flicker mechanical shutter in the extremely rare situation that it would come in handy.

Oh well, I'm sure the original A9 is going be extremely affordable very soon (it was already around $2600 used before this announcement) and it's basically the same thing in terms of pure photography functionality.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they just addressed the main points that specifically sports shooting professionals wanted and demanded before being willing to switch to Sony. That was probably smart from a business perspective, since the competition hasn't even caught up to the A9 yet in terms of AF on mirrorless, but it sure is disappointing as an enthusiast. There's no way I can justify spending that much money just for ergonomics upgrades and an anti-flicker mechanical shutter in the extremely rare situation that it would come in handy.

Oh well, I'm sure the original A9 is going be extremely affordable very soon (it was already around $2600 used before this announcement) and it's basically the same thing in terms of pure photography functionality.
I'd only remotely care for the A9II for the proper mechanical shutter, but it's not a $4500 camera to me. I'd have to trade my X-T2, A7RII and my DSLR's to make that manageable I think and I don't exactly like trading in loads of gear, I might wait for the A7IV announcement or just jump on a used A9 during black friday and call it a day. I get appealing to the photojournalists, but I didn't expect it to have that much of a knock on effect regarding innovations. I saw an A9 at an event last month, was jealous.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow... looks like the A9 II didn't even get the upgraded EVF or LCD of the A7R IV. What a bunch of shit.
The upgraded EVF might introduce additional lag.
Its in their bin of parts, so there has to be a reason they did not choose to put that in. And its not for price separation.

There is no phoning in if the competition hasn't even reached the performance of the previous model. Its a refinement tackling a lot of complaints (not all of them) . I would be thrilled to have one, people just went overboard with their imagination and hype.

Last edited:

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
It's a camera specifically for chasing athletes and politicians, Sony has another product for you if you don't do one of those two things.

Oct 25, 2017
There is no phoning in if the competition hasn't even reached the performance of the previous model. Its a refinement tackling a lot of complaints (not all of them) . I would be thrilled to have one, people just went overboard with their imagination and hype.
I consider the camera a refinement, I don't like $4500 refinements. I'd buy it in a heart beat, just not at that price.
It's a camera specifically for chasing athletes and politicians, Sony has another product for you if you don't do one of those two things.
I'm an event photographer though. I'm pretty much either getting a used A9 or the eventual A7IV as my next camera. A9II requires way too many trade ins to be affordable and yeah I technically can afford it, but it's too damaging to the wallet. I'm even tempted to go RIV now since I think compressed raw is 20mb more than compress raw in the RIII.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I consider the camera a refinement, I don't like $4500 refinements. I'd buy it in a heart beat, just not at that price.
The hell are you on about lol. Its still a 20fps FF sports camera that's thousands of dollars cheaper then its competition and faster/better at key sports camera attributes (fps/AF performance/ no blackout/ silent shooting).

Oct 25, 2017
The hell are you on about lol. Its still a 20fps FF sports camera that's thousands of dollars cheaper then its competition and faster/better at key sports camera attributes (fps/AF performance/ no blackout/ silent shooting).
This is my cheap ass wallet talking. I know it's got value and I'd buy it way before I buy something like the D5 or D6. I just want it cheaper. I was complaining about the A9 price tag when it came out, but now that there's good potential for it to drop to something manageable I want one.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its in their bin of parts, so there has to be a reason they did not choose to put that in. And its not for price separation.

Yeah, in the A9, the EVF actually drops resolution when in 120hz mode while shooting bursts. It looks like this won't happen at all in the A9 II. Maybe the processing power at the right price and battery life cost just isn't available yet. They prioritized speed and that makes sense for what the camera is.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017

On the other hand, it feels like they rushed this out in time for the Olympics, as otherwise they had waited it out a bit so they could put in an improved EVF and new generation sensor (which sure must have been close to completion).

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the other hand, it feels like they rushed this out in time for the Olympics, as otherwise they had waited it out a bit so they could put in an improved EVF and new generation sensor (which sure must have been close to completion).
My guess is that they actually sold the A9 at a loss or low margins and are now trying to recoup some of the invest cost by not introducing a whole new sensor and stuff. The A9 was years ahead of the competition at lower cost. So now they try to hold back on new expensive tech as there is no need to launch any if it.
Well at least that's what I would do :D

My guess is that Sony is going to update the AF with lots of AI features right before the Olympics, something they said is a priority for them going forward and thus the faster chip could actually bring something new to the table. The A9 actually launched with just "average" AF performance that got massively updated by a new firmware.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that they actually sold the A9 at a loss or low margins and are now trying to recoup some of the invest cost by not introducing a whole new sensor and stuff. The A9 was years ahead of the competition at lower cost. So now they try to hold back on new expensive tech as there is no need to launch any if it.
Well at least that's what I would do :D

My guess is that Sony is going to update the AF with lots of AI features right before the Olympics, something they said is a priority for them going forward and thus the faster chip could actually bring something new to the table. The A9 actually launched with just "average" AF performance that got massively updated by a new firmware.

They keep paying the employees that design the sensor no matter what, as they are an R&D intensive company. When something is production ready you can be sure they'll release it. My guess is that the yields on the sensor aren't cost effective yet, so they are sitting it out a bit. Not that it matters a lot, this clearly targets a very niche amount of the userbase spectrum.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
To be honest, who needs that kind of performance really, from a real world perspective. For me, if ergonomically the A9 feels good, ie better than the A7 series, I may pick one up used if it's around 2K. I'm very impressed with the Fuji 16mm....I have to compare the Sony 24mm which may or may not be as good from what I understand.

From Sony's perspective it makes sense as you can't just continuously spend money on RnD, they decided to slow and reap the rewards for the time being. This will hopefully allow Canon and Nikon to catch up, which for everyone, is the best thing. Why complain.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Man that new Fuji 16-80 package looks really nice. Lose one stop of light but the extra length still can lead to good DOF in decent light conditions, so it would make for one hell of a travel lens. But Sony 24-105 is superior in IQ anyway I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Man that new Fuji 16-80 package looks really nice. Lose one stop of light but the extra length still can lead to good DOF in decent light conditions, so it would make for one hell of a travel lens. But Sony 24-105 is superior in IQ anyway I guess.
The sony 24-105 is superior in light gathering and depth of field, but it's a whatever type thing. If you're outdoors the difference rarely matters since I practically live indoors I want nothing to do with that Fuji lens. It's a great lens that I have honestly no real interest in. Even if the light gathering is technically supposed to be the same it's still limited by being on a crop sensor camera. It's really surprising how much I do not like Fuji indoor shots, which is why I'm rarely using them for event work at this point.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
The sony 24-105 is superior in light gathering and depth of field, but it's a whatever type thing. If you're outdoors the difference rarely matters since I practically live indoors I want nothing to do with that Fuji lens. It's a great lens that I have honestly no real interest in. Even if the light gathering is technically supposed to be the same it's still limited by being on a crop sensor camera. It's really surprising how much I do not like Fuji indoor shots, which is why I'm rarely using them for event work at this point.

Indoors you'd use prime only anyway, no? Shame the 33mm F1 got cancelled.

Oct 25, 2017
Indoors you'd use prime only anyway, no? Shame the 33mm F1 got cancelled.
This really depends on the event, but I do find myself using primes more, though I usually have the 16-55 on a camera with a flash. I honestly find the Fuji to just be muddy looking under the wrong lighting conditions. Whereas I find the Sony files more malleable for editing.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
This really depends on the event, but I do find myself using primes more, though I usually have the 16-55 on a camera with a flash. I honestly find the Fuji to just be muddy looking under the wrong lighting conditions. Whereas I find the Sony files more malleable for editing.

That's true. Like if it's dim lighting (dance party,...) you need a flash anyway and if it's just natural lightfall indoors only a prime could be enough. But FF will ways beat APS-C in bad lighting I guess. Although apparently the new Sonys still suffer from aggressive noise reduction in astronomy pics. Is that Nikkor Noct lens out already even?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
The Fuji 33 wouldn't have been very usable, it was going to be like 5 pounds. The 50 f1 will be a lot more usable.

Oct 25, 2017
That's true. Like if it's dim lighting (dance party,...) you need a flash anyway and if it's just natural lightfall indoors only a prime could be enough. But FF will ways beat APS-C in bad lighting I guess. Although apparently the new Sonys still suffer from aggressive noise reduction in astronomy pics. Is that Nikkor Noct lens out already even?
Nobody really wants an 8 grand manual focus prime. I'm pretty sure I'm bitching about stuff nobody really cares about, but I'm oddly very self critical of this stuff.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
So, I'm kind of a hobbyist photographer. My fiancee wants to get into it, so I was thinking that I may just give her or let her use my Canon T5i and upgrade. I have several EF-S lens and the nifty fifty for it.

First, it looks like they don't have the Rebel line anymore. Is there a current comparable entry-level DSLR?

Do they have any cheaper mirrorless (probably comparable to the Sony a6000) cameras and would they be compatible with the lenses that I already have? I'm trying to think of the best way to approach this. It would be cool if the lenses that I have already would be compatible with a new body.

I (and we) would mostly do landscape photography, but some portrait type stuff occasionally.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
So, I'm kind of a hobbyist photographer. My fiancee wants to get into it, so I was thinking that I may just give her or let her use my Canon T5i and upgrade. I have several EF-S lens and the nifty fifty for it.

First, it looks like they don't have the Rebel line anymore. Is there a current comparable entry-level DSLR?

Do they have any cheaper mirrorless (probably comparable to the Sony a6000) cameras and would they be compatible with the lenses that I already have? I'm trying to think of the best way to approach this. It would be cool if the lenses that I have already would be compatible with a new body.

I (and we) would mostly do landscape photography, but some portrait type stuff occasionally.

The newest in that category is the t7i. There's also the SL2 in the same range. Mirrorless equivalent it would be the m50. There's no much reason to update from the t5i to the t7i, though. Only change it if you want a small mirrorless, or a camera in another price range. The 80D shouldbe reasonably cheap now that they released the 90D.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
The newest in that category is the t7i. There's also the SL2 in the same range. Mirrorless equivalent it would be the m50. There's no much reason to update from the t5i to the t7i, though. Only change it if you want a small mirrorless, or a camera in another price range. The 80D shouldbe reasonably cheap now that they released the 90D.

The only reason I would be updating is to have a second body so my fiancee could go with me shooting. I would probably let her use the t5i and I'd use whatever. I've thought about mirrorless, so this might be a good chance to get into that.

Oct 25, 2017
Talk enough shit about a technological innovation through cheap ignorance and next thing you realize that shit is straight valuable. I hardcore 180'd on electronic shutter innovation and it's really valuable if you do any kind of video work. "We need pics during an interview." No problem, I'll just use my A7RIII's electronic shutter. It's not the A9, but it's not exactly dog shit either.

ViewtifulJux

Oct 25, 2017
Where is the best place to sell camera gear for a first time seller?

Looking to sell an X-T30, 14-45mm, 35mm f2, and maybe a Peak Design 5L pack with it all.

ViewtifulJux

Oct 25, 2017
I always hear so many horror stories about EBay, all those sites in general really. Guess I just gotta bite the bullet, selling to stores just isn't worth it.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I buy from FB marketplace and craigslist all the time...rather buy camera gear in person where I can test it out. Just pick a public spot etc.

Oct 25, 2017
I always hear so many horror stories about EBay, all those sites in general really. Guess I just gotta bite the bullet, selling to stores just isn't worth it.
Biggest problem with Ebay is that it benefits the buyer way more than the seller.
I buy from FB marketplace and craigslist all the time...rather buy camera gear in person where I can test it out. Just pick a public spot etc.
I oddly don't trust FB marketplace, but yeah be safe.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
First images of Nikon Z50:

Nikon-Z50-mirrorless-APS-C-camera.jpg

• 20MP APS-C sensor (based on the D500 sensor)
  • Single SD card slot
  • 3" pivoted LCD
  • 11 fps
  • No IBIS
  • Fixed EVF (not removable EVF as described in the latest design patents)
  • New Nikon EN-EL25 battery
  • Announcement date: October 10th
  • The official announcement could be as early as next week
  • The Z50 will be the equivalent of the D7xxx DSLR cameras
  • Two new APS-S mirrorless lenses: Z-Nikkor 16-55mm f/3.5-6.3 and Z-Nikkor 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3
  • The Nikon Z50 will look very similar to the Nikon Z1 prototype camera - it was described to me as a smaller version of the Z6/Z7

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/page/2/#ixzz61nfdq1G7

Kinda glad I went with the Fuji XT30 instead of waiting for this lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I have an old Canon T6S in really good condition, what price would I try to sell it at? Because I can't seem to sell the god damn thing.
This is the used page for it on B&H, let this be your guide:
Canon EOS Rebel T6s DSLR Camera
This isn't as much as you probably want it to be.
First images of Nikon Z50:

Nikon-Z50-mirrorless-APS-C-camera.jpg

• 20MP APS-C sensor (based on the D500 sensor)
  • Single SD card slot
  • 3" pivoted LCD
  • 11 fps
  • No IBIS
  • Fixed EVF (not removable EVF as described in the latest design patents)
  • New Nikon EN-EL25 battery
  • Announcement date: October 10th
  • The official announcement could be as early as next week
  • The Z50 will be the equivalent of the D7xxx DSLR cameras
  • Two new APS-S mirrorless lenses: Z-Nikkor 16-55mm f/3.5-6.3 and Z-Nikkor 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3
  • The Nikon Z50 will look very similar to the Nikon Z1 prototype camera - it was described to me as a smaller version of the Z6/Z7

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/page/2/#ixzz61nfdq1G7

Kinda glad I went with the Fuji XT30 instead of waiting for this lol.
Crop sensor mirrorless if Fuji town, you'd be dumb to buy anything but Fuji.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Uh yeah, if it doesn't have IBIS just buy a Fuji. That way you don't have to wait years for a decent lens lineup. I mean the EOS-M system still doesn't have much of a lineup.

One thing I wonder... if you are insistent on moving to mirrorless, but you are going to market a low-cost range with lenses that will be cheap and likely won't benefit from high-tech advantages specific to a short flange distance, why not just make it native compatible with your DSLR lenses? I guess it would be a tiny bit bigger? But most of the size and weight difference with mirrorless VS DSLR is down to the prism assembly anyway.

I guess the answer is probably "they want to sell new lenses" but then you run in to the problem of Fuji and Sony having a multi year head start on you.

Oct 25, 2017
Uh yeah, if it doesn't have IBIS just buy a Fuji. That way you don't have to wait years for a decent lens lineup. I mean the EOS-M system still doesn't have much of a lineup.

One thing I wonder... if you are insistent on moving to mirrorless, but you are going to market a low-cost range with lenses that will be cheap and likely won't benefit from high-tech advantages specific to a short flange distance, why not just make it native compatible with your DSLR lenses? I guess it would be a tiny bit bigger? But most of the size and weight difference with mirrorless VS DSLR is down to the prism assembly anyway.

I guess the answer is probably "they want to sell new lenses" but then you run in to the problem of Fuji and Sony having a multi year head start on you.
I just reread the post and it has no IBIS

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
BH has some insane deals going on with XH1 and XT3 bodyonly + bundle with lens. Again this is more for people on the fence. If I could sell my XT3 or had a buyer for a new one, I'd get a bundle. The 10-24 f/4 for $400 bucks...

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017

You gotta start somewhere. They have rounded out their Full Frame lenses pretty nicely so far. I suspect they'll offer a bunch of cheap crop sensor lenses in no time.