• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Nikon: "We made a camera for people who don't consider themselves photographers. Oh, it costs more than mid-range competitors with better specs and significantly more lenses. You're welcome."

In Australia the RRP is more than the EOS RP Or LUMIX G9 for christ's sake.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Nikon: "We made a camera for people who don't consider themselves photographers. Oh, it costs more than mid-range competitors with better specs and significantly more lenses. You're welcome."

In Australia the RRP is more than the EOS RP Or LUMIX G9 for christ's sake.
That Z50 is such a fucking non starter to me, that shit was dead before it was even alive.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I ordered the 35mm f2 and the Samyang 12 from Amazon on Sunday, still not dispatched. Plus an X-T3 from RhinoCameras.nl, turns out their "free and fast" shipping is more like a week +.

And I'm finding the wait kind of exciting. Instant gratification is not always the way!

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a perfectly middle of the road camera at the price point. Nothing really exciting about it, though. It does have a nicer grip than the X-T30 but you can always just buy a cheap grip addon for the latter. So yeah, if you were getting into an APS-C camera system right now it doesn't offer any reason to bypass Fuji.

As DPreview pointed out, they seem to be competing with the M50 and X-A7 but at the price point of the X-T30 which... no bueno.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I ordered the 35mm f2 and the Samyang 12 from Amazon on Sunday, still not dispatched. Plus an X-T3 from RhinoCameras.nl, turns out their "free and fast" shipping is more like a week +.

And I'm finding the wait kind of exciting. Instant gratification is not always the way!
True. Let us know how the Samyang works out for you. Interesting lens that one.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a perfectly middle of the road camera at the price point. Nothing really exciting about it, though. It does have a nicer grip than the X-T30 but you can always just buy a cheap grip addon for the latter. So yeah, if you were getting into an APS-C camera system right now it doesn't offer any reason to bypass Fuji.

As DPreview pointed out, they seem to be competing with the M50 and X-A7 but at the price point of the X-T30 which... no bueno.
I said on Fred Miranda that nobody should buy this over any Fuji and the dude talked about Nikon's telephoto primes as if a person is going to be using it for birding or some shit. That's not the demographic and I'd rather buy a used D500 over the Z50. I'm honestly not thinking about any of the first gen Nikon's. They really need to get busy on the second gen Z cameras and even those probably won't be as good as the A9 and A7RIII so it's infinite catch up. If they can't compete in silent shooting then they're never competing with Sony.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
True. Let us know how the Samyang works out for you. Interesting lens that one.

Yeah I thought I'd get a 35 as it's what I always wished the X100S was. The Samyang was almost just a celebration that I had access to all these different lens, I've never shot that wide or in manual so it's a bit of a punt. Looking forward to it.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah I thought I'd get a 35 as it's what I always wished the X100S was. The Samyang was almost just a celebration that I had access to all these different lens, I've never shot that wide or in manual so it's a bit of a punt. Looking forward to it.
I like those for dramatic landscapes which is pretty specific, unless framing is proper there's no difference to typical wide lenses . Internal architecture stuff as well of course. With these MF shouldn't be an issue as DoF is so huge.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Super wide primes are really fun. If you are a walk around shooter like me they offer a nice change of pace.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I didn't initially notice with the Z5... It has a magnesium body. So I suppose that's one point of differentiation. Between that and the grip it might end up being the nicest feeling camera in that range.

Otoh the new kit lenses have plastic mounts 😬

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I didn't initially notice with the Z5... It has a magnesium body. So I suppose that's one point of differentiation. Between that and the grip it might end up being the nicest feeling camera in that range.

Otoh the new kit lenses have plastic mounts 😬
The lenses definitely are chintzy. The body looks like it'll be good as well as the AF it seems there's just nothing in that lineup that would sway me off of Fuji or make me recommend it over Fuji, it's just there.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
The XH1 maybe similarly built and looks to be better spec-d. You could pick it up for a song these days. I am interested in Nikon's pro level FF bodies though.

Oct 25, 2017
The XH1 maybe similarly built and looks to be better spec-d. You could pick it up for a song these days. I am interested in Nikon's pro level FF bodies though.
I have a Nikon D4 and D810 and like them, would use them more, but I'm A) rather used to mirrorless and B) the D4 is loud as fuck. Gets really distracting for events. The X-H1 is a great camera for the price, just not something I personally want to buy since I'm looking at Sony A9's. I'd probably only get one so I can just trade in my X-T2 along with my A7RII for a Sony A9.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I meant mirrorless, as in Z series higher end bodies. I like the ergonomics. I don't think I can go back to the bulk of DSLRs.

Oct 25, 2017
I meant mirrorless, as in Z series higher end bodies. I like the ergonomics. I don't think I can go back to the bulk of DSLRs.
Regarding those I'm in the wait till the second gen phase. They had it mostly right with the first gen minus the launch AF, lack of a proper battery grip and the electronic shutter isn't there. If they can fix this then they should be fine. If you have Tamron lenses like I do then them not properly being compatible on day one turned me off as well. I don't mind my shift to Sony though. Despite how people complain about them I have taken som great pics with those cameras.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah I have no issues with Sony aside from ergo, but I'm very excited about Gen 2 Canon and Nikon bodies. Again they just feel good. E shutter is not a deal breaker for me. XT3 e shutter performance is amazing but it does feel very weird. It's one of those tactile things. Sometimes necessary of course like jazz clubs.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
There's a lot of potential there I think. XT3 probably is a huge hit for Fuji and XH1 a huge flop, so they have to figure that out. But Fuji IBIS is good, really good...so I don't see them dropping that feature.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of potential there I think. XT3 probably is a huge hit for Fuji and XH1 a huge flop, so they have to figure that out. But Fuji IBIS is good, really good...so I don't see them dropping that feature.
As long as the conditions aren't some dank corporate event I mostly do like shooting Fuji and the output, just that when you need to make some 3200 iso corporate shite look good that's full frame and Sony territory. When it's not that I love it, when it is that I get less pleased about Fuji. But yes if they could marry those two cameras it would be a great camera.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a second lens, Meike 28m pancake lens, for my XT-2. Over the weekend I got to swap lens with my bud (I have the 18-55 Kit and he has the 27mm), and I just loved how much lighter my camera was and how much easier it was to pocket (It'll be perfect for the coming season). Towards the end of the night I did want to switch over to my kit lens since I couldn't get the images I wanted in darker settings, but overall I loved using it. Anyways I didn't want to drop a lot of cash atm, so I opted for the Meike 28mm lens, and I actually like that it has an aperture ring alongside the focus ring since I found the auto focus on the 27mm XF somewhat fidgety.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Nikon Z-Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/0.95 lens is out today.

Comparison with the Leica Noctilux 50mm f/0.95.

Lieca-Noctilux-lens-vs-Nikon-Noct-lens.jpg

Leica Noctilux 50mm f/0.95- weight: 700g, size: 73 x 75mm, price: $11,295
Nikon Noct 58mm f/0.95 - weight 2,000g, size: 102 x 153mm, price: $7,997

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
It's the aperture which is the reason for the size. AF wouldn't increase the size much in general, in this case...I don't think they could have added small sized motors that could move the massive glass elements. That's probably why it's MF. Hell of a thing, but I guess this will be a made to order niche product. The Leica is amazing in size BTW....just that price is basically, yeah.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand the point or appeal of that 58mm f/0.95 manual focus lens behemoth.
Photographic E penis to justify having that big of a mount and shit talking Sony's E mount. E mounts fine. There's flange distance math and other shit flying around regarding it, but I can get some really good images out of this non professional consumer electronics corporation camera. I really wish they'd slap a form of paint on their cameras that wouldn't start wearing two weeks after you take it out of the box but overall I like these Sony cameras.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Photographic E penis to justify having that big of a mount and shit talking Sony's E mount. E mounts fine. There's flange distance math and other shit flying around regarding it, but I can get some really good images out of this non professional consumer electronics corporation camera. I really wish they'd slap a form of paint on their cameras that wouldn't start wearing two weeks after you take it out of the box but overall I like these Sony cameras.

I'd get it if it were like f/0.7 or even f/0.8, but manual focus 50-ish mm f/0.95 lenses are not all *that* rare even with the smaller Sony and Leica mounts. I'm sure (or at least I hope) the image quality and sharpness in this Noct lens will be superior, but it doesn't seem like proof of any advantage over smaller mounts.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd get it if it were like f/0.7 or even f/0.8, but manual focus 50-ish mm f/0.95 lenses are not all *that* rare even with the smaller Sony and Leica mounts. I'm sure (or at least I hope) the image quality and sharpness in this Noct lens will be superior, but it doesn't seem like proof of any advantage over smaller mounts.
Nobody outside of rich hobbyists, collectors and high end fashion photographers are buying this lens. You will never see this thing in the field.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
The Noct, like the 70s original, is pretty much the definition of a specialty lens - it's designed to be razor sharp and have very little distortion (coma, chroma, you name it, they tried to correct it) from edge-to-edge wide open, because originally it was an astro lens.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm really looking forward to the reviews of that thing.

The Noctilux though, is sharp at all apertures and an astounding lens optically.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Wonder how it'll be for low light video? I mean if cinematographers can use this for ambient light...that's pretty cool. Fuji 50 f1 size wise looks good, and it's AF, hopefully price won't be outrageous.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Anyone know how much the lowest the Capture One Pro 12 Perpetual license has been? They sent me a 60% off coupon and I don't know if I should pull the trigger.

Edit: wait it's not even a coupon, sneaky ass company

Last edited:

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Why don't Nikon play ball with third party lens makers?

Stick the Sigma trio on the Z50 and it's a whole different proposition.

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't Nikon play ball with third party lens makers?

Stick the Sigma trio on the Z50 and it's a whole different proposition.
They don't make money that way. Sigma and Tamron have to reverse engineer that mount. With E mount Tamron definitely has to make stuff that doesn't compete with Sony's lenses for example. For Sigma I don't know, but they recently started making some really good E mount lenses.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
I don't think that Sigma makes those lenses for any of the mirrorless systems. They could probably do a 1.4 zoom with the new mount though.

I think they're on the way for EF-M and available for MFT.

They don't make money that way. Sigma and Tamron have to reverse engineer that mount. With E mount Tamron definitely has to make stuff that doesn't compete with Sony's lenses for example. For Sigma I don't know, but they recently started making some really good E mount lenses.
I think there's a valid argument that Nikon would sell a lot more Z50's if they were available. Nikon hasn't made a fast prime for crop sensors in forever so it seems weird that they wouldn't see them as a compliment to their system rather than competition.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard that Capture One is better for Fuji raw files but I couldn't quite figure it out, and even though I could use the free version I decided to do another month of Lightroom since it was easier to just get the look I wanted out of my images. I know that it's customizable, but the learning curb is a bit steeper than that with LR. Anyone have more experience with the program?

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a valid argument that Nikon would sell a lot more Z50's if they were available. Nikon hasn't made a fast prime for crop sensors in forever so it seems weird that they wouldn't see them as a compliment to their system rather than competition.
None of the first parties make a dime when you buy a third party lens. They want you to buy first party, period. You also have to take into account that not a lot of people buy that many additional lenses, especially in the price bracket of this camera. There's a reason why Nikon and Canon didn't dish out lens specs for their new mount cameras, they want ALL of the money, not some, not a portion, all of it. You want a third party lens on a Z mount then get the FTZ adapter.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to see EOS R bodies floating around eBay for decent prices. Is it worth a swap with a 5D III. (I shoot sports a fair bit so I'm undecided on the 5fps vs 6fps...)