• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The GH5 is basically a video camera that can take stills, the A7III is an excellent all rounder, it just really depends on what kind of codecs you need and if you need 4K60. If you want the best middle ground look into a used X-T3 or X-H1, look at the lenses you need/want and budget accordingly. The GH5 is a great video camera, but I've just never been too interested in M43 with the amount of indoor work that I do. What would you be photographing/video recording?

I do mostly fashion and product photography, and for video I'd be looking for long-form recording if possible. I'll look into the X-T3 and X-H1, thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Actually she recommended to me a Nikon kit to start out with, but I saw the Black Friday price and couldn't resist getting the Sony. I dont remember what setup she has but she's a serious photographer that does know her stuff.
I was thinking of shooting stock photos and maybe portraits. Maybe events as well.
Events...boi....first and foremost get a flash, secondly get some good primes, like really good ones. Honestly given how I don't like the A6xxx series for it's lack of a joystick it'd be my last choice. I resist Sony crop sensor hardcore. Full frame is my wheelhouse though. Basically get the 16-55 lens they just released and probably the Sigma 56 1.4 and start from there.
Sigma 16mm, 30mm, and 56mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary Lenses Kit for Sony E
Buy this. This is pretty much the set of primes keeping that lackluster ecosystem relevant in my opinion. I'm on Fuji for crop sensor mirrorless. Should've honestly bought the X-H1 while they were giving that thing away, but that's just me.
I do mostly fashion and product photography, and for video I'd be looking for long-form recording if possible. I'll look into the X-T3 and X-H1, thanks!
All of that can be done on Fuji, Sony as well. I have examples from both systems if you want them since I'm probably the heaviest Sony and Fuji shooter in here.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All of that can be done on Fuji, Sony as well. I have examples from both systems if you want them since I'm probably the heaviest Sony and Fuji shooter in here.

I'd be curious for sure. I'm finding good deals on both of the recommended Fujifilm bodies, and someone on Craigslist locally is offering this for $1400:

- Fuji X-T3 Camera Body,
- Fuji AC-9VS AC Adapter/Charger,
- Fuji VG-XT3 Vertical Battery Grip,
- Fuji XF 35mm F2 R WR lens,
- Fuji LH-XF35-2 metal lens hood,
- (2) Batteries (1xFuji)
- ~2000 shutter actuations

Seems like a good deal compared to new, at least, but I'm keeping my options open. The A7 III seems excellent as well and I was impressed with Sony's lens selections too.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be curious for sure. I'm finding good deals on both of the recommended Fujifilm bodies, and someone on Craigslist locally is offering this for $1400:

- Fuji X-T3 Camera Body,
- Fuji AC-9VS AC Adapter/Charger,
- Fuji VG-XT3 Vertical Battery Grip,
- Fuji XF 35mm F2 R WR lens,
- Fuji LH-XF35-2 metal lens hood,
- (2) Batteries (1xFuji)
- ~2000 shutter actuations

Seems like a good deal compared to new, at least, but I'm keeping my options open. The A7 III seems excellent as well and I was impressed with Sony's lens selections too.
Fuji:
XH011351 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH011628 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH011750 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH010212 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH010238 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT036658 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT034723 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Sony:
AR306338 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR306439 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303992 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303862 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303447 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR304030 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR308739 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR308445 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
I can basically drown a thread with images from both systems.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fuji:
XH011351 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH011628 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH011750 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH010212 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH010238 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT036658 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT034723 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Sony:
AR306338 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR306439 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303992 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303862 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR303447 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR304030 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR308739 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR308445 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
I can basically drown a thread with images from both systems.

Thank you for posting these, they are gorgeous. That leaf shot with the Sony has wonderful DOF.

Oct 25, 2017
X-T200 announced. Gonna give it some serious thought towards picking it up as a cheapy walk around camera I always have with me with articulating screen. (Though I am giving some more thought to x-t3 used when the x-t4 drops)

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
What's the likelihood that this 16x9 screen creeps up to the xt40 and beyond? Not sure how I feel about it.

Otherwise it looks like this is a much more usable entry level camera than the last one.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Fuji also announced a cheaper 35mm f2 (nifty fifty basically), probably sub $200. Should be good for people looking to get into serious photography.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuji also announced a cheaper 35mm f2 (nifty fifty basically), probably sub $200. Should be good for people looking to get into serious photography.
It's basically a 35F2 wrapped in Saran Wrap. At the very least it has got to be better optically than Canon's plastic fantastic with a wider focus ring. I don't think a person buying this is serious into photography, it's an entry level 50, every system has this. One of my coworkers has something like this on a Rebel T5i or something which she probably got as part of a kit and has trouble explaining the exposure triangle. She's a great editor at least.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
It's basically a 35F2 wrapped in Saran Wrap. At the very least it has got to be better optically than Canon's plastic fantastic with a wider focus ring. I don't think a person buying this is serious into photography, it's an entry level 50, every system has this. One of my coworkers has something like this on a Rebel T5i or something which she probably got as part of a kit and has trouble explaining the exposure triangle. She's a great editor at least.
Well, think about it from a HS student perspective. I was very into it, but didn't have money. For a HS student...a used Fuji body around $500 and this lens would be a very cheap capable combo.

Oct 25, 2017

Oh I had made a post earlier about looking for a small/cheap body with a tilting/fully articulating screen so I can compose both horizontally and vertically as I am a bit disabled so shooting low to the ground is very difficult for me with a viewfinder. I have a Z7 that I am invested into for my more serious work, but just want a cheapy walk around that can do that.

This reads excessively snobby, even for you.

Oct 25, 2017
This reads excessively snobby, even for you.
Because I have moments of just outright sounding like an asshole. I look at things from a "would I buy this perspective." Answer is no, but then again I've never been wildly a fan of 50's. I think I tend to fall into that weird middle ground of wanting great things at an affordable price. Also yeah...it's an entry level 50mm, which is nothing to write home about, but if it keeps what made the 35F2 WR a great lens, but it's just in an affordable package than it's better than the other cheap 50's I've used. nitewulf Does a very good job of cutting through my nonsense. 80% of it is needless comedic hyperbole.
Well, think about it from a HS student perspective. I was very into it, but didn't have money. For a HS student...a used Fuji body around $500 and this lens would be a very cheap capable combo.
Used X-T1 and this would be bargain as hell, but a great bargain. Shit used X-E3 and you got something.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I recently upgraded from a HX50V to a RX100 III. I've noticed a huge jump in the quality of photos (duh, $250CDN camera vs $800CDN camera lol). and I'm quite happy with it. I mostly use it for vacation photos and I wouldn't mind learning how to use all the various things that can be adjusted(ISO, shutter speed etc).

Is there a good youtube video for beginners on that stuff? Most of the videos I've seen on the camera are youtubers with niche complaints(no mic jack etc).

Oct 25, 2017
I recently upgraded from a HX50V to a RX100 III. I've noticed a huge jump in the quality of photos (duh, $250CDN camera vs $800CDN camera lol). and I'm quite happy with it. I mostly use it for vacation photos and I wouldn't mind learning how to use all the various things that can be adjusted(ISO, shutter speed etc).

Is there a good youtube video for beginners on that stuff? Most of the videos I've seen on the camera are youtubers with niche complaints(no mic jack etc).

Do you know the basics of exposure already? Do you just need like a video tutorial for that specific camera?

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017

Try Maarten Heilbron's review to start. He goes through a specific scenario and the settings etc. Not sure what level of detail you need, but you can start there.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know the basics of exposure already? Do you just need like a video tutorial for that specific camera?

I know nothing. I use the auto setting, half press to focus, and maybe use the sport setting if I'm taking a photo of something in motion. That's it.

I can figure out for example how to change the ISO on my camera, I don't need specific instructions on where to adjust that setting in my camera's menu per say. More "this is what ISO is for and how to know when to adjust it and what to adjust it to" is what I'm looking for.

I'm not looking for a career in photography or anything. I'm planning on taking a trip to Japan next year and I want to take some kick ass photos while I'm there. That's the end goal here.

Try Maarten Heilbron's review to start. He goes through a specific scenario and the settings etc. Not sure what level of detail you need, but you can start there.

I'll give that a look. Thanks!

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing. I use the auto setting, half press to focus, and maybe use the sport setting if I'm taking a photo of something in motion. That's it.

I can figure out for example how to change the ISO on my camera, I don't need specific instructions on where to adjust that setting in my camera's menu per say. More "this is what ISO is for and how to know when to adjust it and what to adjust it to" is what I'm looking for.

I'm not looking for a career in photography or anything. I'm planning on taking a trip to Japan next year and I want to take some kick ass photos while I'm there. That's the end goal here.

It's been a while since I've read it, but Understanding Exposure is a frequently recommended book for beginners and it's a quick read.

Oct 25, 2017

What you want then is a tutorial on exposure, not the specific camera. There are lots and lots and lots of these videos on YouTube. Just search for 'exposure tutorial'

The rules of exposure are universal among cameras, so looking up a specific camera model won't really go into these concepts

Oct 25, 2017

Look at some basic photography tutorials and then after you get that engrained into you then go out and shoot and put that into practice. You're going to fuck up, but hopefully you find the time to look at your settings and find out how you fucked up and learn from it.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
GF 45-100 f4, just a "wee" bit detailed:

gf45-100mmf4-r-lm-ois-wr_003.jpg

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible shot there nitewulf, got me so jelly.

So I got the job last month and I'm now eyeing the 10mm-24mm Fuji lens and selling my 18mm-55mm. I was thinking of getting a used one and then saving up later for the 18mm prime lens, and then getting one of the 1.4 lens in a year or so.

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Incredible shot there nitewulf, got me so jelly.

So I got the job last month and I'm now eyeing the 10mm-24mm Fuji lens and selling my 18mm-55mm. I was thinking of getting a used one and then saving up later for the 18mm prime lens, and then getting one of the 1.4 lens in a year or so.
Haha, not my shot my man, that's a sample image from the new Fuji lens. I will be honest with you, I can take that type of a fashion shot, but it's not my scene, I never got into it. I'd love to do it though.

As for what you are eyeing, I would highly suggest getting the 16 f2.8 or the 23 f2 now. F4 ultra wide zooms are just a bit disappointing unless you are gonna be shooting daylight all the time, and also ultra wides take practise. They are great for vistas, long exposure etc but I'd highly suggest renting one to actually ensure you like the focal range.

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish I could afford to get into this system. I'll probably start looking when used 50s's become cheaper and the used market opens up on a lens or two. Unless I get dummy rich soon.

For reals. In theory I could technically swing a move to GFX in the upcoming couple months, but I would want/need a 100 in a 50R body. Also It's just a bit beyond what I am willing to spend and gonna fill out my S lens lineup.

Oct 25, 2017
For reals. In theory I could technically swing a move to GFX in the upcoming couple months, but I would want/need a 100 in a 50R body. Also It's just a bit beyond what I am willing to spend and gonna fill out my S lens lineup.
50R doesn't have enough grip space for those lenses to me. I'd want a 50s, which they really need to refresh that camera. Same body and sensor would be fine, but at least put the GFX 100 AF system in it.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, not my shot my man, that's a sample image from the new Fuji lens. I will be honest with you, I can take that type of a fashion shot, but it's not my scene, I never got into it. I'd love to do it though.

As for what you are eyeing, I would highly suggest getting the 16 f2.8 or the 23 f2 now. F4 ultra wide zooms are just a bit disappointing unless you are gonna be shooting daylight all the time, and also ultra wides take practise. They are great for vistas, long exposure etc but I'd highly suggest renting one to actually ensure you like the focal range.
I'm already shooting at 18mm all the time with my kit lens so I dont want want a 23mm atm. If that's the case I might look into the 16mm or 14mm lens. A friend of mine has the 10-24 and I enjoyed shooting with it quite a bit.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Weird question, do you guys think photos look worse/noisier shooting in higher ISOs or shooting with lower ISOs and increasing the exposure in post?
That depends on the DR capability of the camera. I find Fuji's shoot very well at native ISO (160, 800) and have a lot of headroom in increasing the exposure in post without the noise penalty. Basically if you shoot at 160 in a reasonable condition, you can pull up shadows very well without the noise cost versus shooting at say 1600 which will be inherently noisier. And always shoot RAW if you wanna manipulate exposure after the fact.

Oct 25, 2017
The whole noise invariance thing doesn't take indoor shooting into consideration. If you're basically a stop under that shot's useless. I've basically got int the habit of double checking my Jpegs with indoors because while I can recover a shadow to the nth degree I have to make sure I don't recover too much and completely destroy the quality of the image and adding dead pixels and color noise to the equation.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
seems pricey. Do you specifically want the xpro 2?

If I was forced to choose one lens ever, that'd be it. It was the only lens I took to Argentina and stayed on my camera 90% of the time in SE Asia.
Now you guys got me in another internal debate -_-.

How was it traveling with such a big lens? I still want to get a pancake (either the 18mm or the 27mm) for traveling, such so it's easier to pack as well not worry about sticking out.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
All depends on your style and comfort, I found it perfectly fine, and I hiked with it in Chiang Mai. Also I take a backpack and my camera bag for travel, the camera bag under the front seat and it doubles for carrying a paperback, small electronics, contact lenses and other stuff. I've basically got a system which works for me. It's my type of lens, great for lowlight, great for landscapes , great for portraits, focuses close to 4 inches, exquisite sharpness etc etc. But I hesitate to recommend wide angles to most people, I think the 23mm is a much easier lens to take photos with.

Reckoner

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking for my first lens to use with my X-T2. A friend of mine wanted to sell me his XF 35mm f2, but I figured it would be too narrow for what I'm used to, so now I'm leaning into the XF 23mm f2.

What do you guys think of it? Either that or the 18-55mm kit lens, which I haven't bought because I think it may be too big for my main use.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking for my first lens to use with my X-T2. A friend of mine wanted to sell me his XF 35mm f2, but I figured it would be too narrow for what I'm used to, so now I'm leaning into the XF 23mm f2.

What do you guys think of it? Either that or the 18-55mm kit lens, which I haven't bought because I think it may be too big for my main use.

What are you interested in shooting?

Oct 25, 2017

I have primes bigger than the 18-55...if size means that much to you get the 23, I was going to recommend the 23 1.4, but it's probably not what you'd like. I love that lens though.

Oct 25, 2017
The 23 1.4 isn't too large; the 16mm 1.4 can be pretty large and is just on the border of being too large to be portable IMO, but the 23mm 1.4 should be a good fit.
The f2 lenses are positively tiny, if size is your main concern.