• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Do we have a drone thread?

I was looking at my B4UFLY app and realized that the president has his own personal no fly zone restriction around him at all times so no drones can fly around him.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I ended up picking up the Craigslist XT3 and it is absolutely in perfect condition. Came with:

- Fuji X-T3 Camera Body,
- Fuji AC-9VS AC Adapter/Charger,
- Fuji VG-XT3 Vertical Battery Grip,
- Fuji XF 35mm F2 R WR lens,
- Fuji LH-XF35-2 metal lens hood,
- (2) Batteries (1xFuji)

I love the size with the grip attached, reminds me of the 7D weight a bit which I'm used to. I was told a UHS-II card is basically required for shooting 4K60 without any hiccups, is that true? They seem a bit pricey but I'll bite if it's necessary. I'm also trying to find a case/bag that will fit it decently with the grip still attached, maybe with room for a flash/extra lens/etc., but I'm not quite ready to throw down for a ThinkTank or something. It didn't even come with a strap lol (but I'll take what it did come with over that any day), so I'm gonna have to pick one up as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up picking up the Craigslist XT3 and it is absolutely in perfect condition. Came with:

I love the size with the grip attached, reminds me of the 7D weight a bit which I'm used to. I was told a UHS-II card is basically required for shooting 4K60 without any hiccups, is that true? They seem a bit pricey but I'll bite if it's necessary. I'm also trying to find a case/bag that will fit it decently with the grip still attached, maybe with room for a flash/extra lens/etc., but I'm not quite ready to throw down for a ThinkTank or something. It didn't even come with a strap lol (but I'll take what it did come with over that any day), so I'm gonna have to pick one up as well.
With Fuji I basically use the 300mb/s cards. Expensive, but they don't lock up. I'm more of a fan of the X-H1 body, but a gripped X-T3 is a really good camera.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With Fuji I basically use the 300mb/s cards. Expensive, but they don't lock up. I'm more of a fan of the X-H1 body, but a gripped X-T3 is a really good camera.

Yeah I'll probably end up going for the Sandisk 64GB @ 300mb/s for now. Any case/bag recommendations? I prefer slings/shoulder bags to full backpacks, and tbh I used a CaseLogic for my 7D for years without any issue. I'd still use it if it didn't fit the camera + grip together so awkwardly (really squares it off). Currently eyeing this Manfrotto bag. So far the camera seems wonderful though.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'll probably end up going for the Sandisk 64GB @ 300mb/s for now. Any case/bag recommendations? I prefer slings/shoulder bags to full backpacks, and tbh I used a CaseLogic for my 7D for years without any issue. I'd still use it if it didn't fit the camera + grip together so awkwardly (really squares it off). Currently eyeing this Manfrotto bag. So far the camera seems wonderful though.
I use one of these:
Lowepro Pro Tactic SH 180 AW
I can usually fit most of the stuff I'd need in here. I currently managed to cram a gripped X-H1, X-T3, 23 1.4, 56 1.2, 16-55 2.8 and a XF 90F2 into it for a shoot I need to do today. I can't get the 50-140 in there though, I mean I can, but I don't want to take the high aperture glass out.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I use one of these:
Lowepro Pro Tactic SH 180 AW
I can usually fit most of the stuff I'd need in here. I currently managed to cram a gripped X-H1, X-T3, 23 1.4, 56 1.2, 16-55 2.8 and a XF 90F2 into it for a shoot I need to do today. I can't get the 50-140 in there though, I mean I can, but I don't want to take the high aperture glass out.

Cool, seems like a good size as well. Appreciate the recommendation.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, seems like a good size as well. Appreciate the recommendation.
I'm a LowePro guy, have been for years, I still have the bag I used for events going back years. I have had the larger version of that bag for about 4 years now, just needed to change the strap on it, both actually...get a good strap on that bag since the standard one tends to break within months of heavy use.

Reckoner

Oct 26, 2017
OK guys, I decided on getting the 18-55mm kit lens first to see what I really enjoy, and then later I'll get a prime or maybe even a X100 series camera.

Oct 25, 2017
The light didn't start looking "beautiful" until I put the strobe to the side of the person I was shooting. Maybe parabolics weren't made for small apartments 😛
Sounds about right. I normally use more than one. I pretty much have a key light, fill light and hair light for headshots. I could probably be a lot more lose with other stuff though. I did use one light for an on location shoot and the stuff looked great.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I've got a 23mm f1.4 and a 35mm f2 and personally if I had to choose one and didn't do quite as much low-light photography I'd go with f2s. Lighter, half the price, sharp, weather sealed, faster autofocus.

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a 23mm f1.4 and a 35mm f2 and personally if I had to choose one and didn't do quite as much low-light photography I'd go with f2s. Lighter, half the price, sharp, weather sealed, faster autofocus.
Funny enough once I got the 23 1.4 I stopped using the 35F2. The 23 has been such a constant event lens that I really can't get rid of it.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I absolutely love the Fujifilm X-T30 with the 35 MM F2 lens. This is a piece of gear that will make you absolutely fall in love. The Kit Lens (18-55) is great, but 35 MM is way more fun to play with.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, so apparently that 35f2 XC is just like the XF, identical optics, just no aperture ring or weather sealing, for only $200.
That's a baller deal.

Of course no aperture ring = no buy (personally), but that's really cool.

Oct 25, 2017
And that's fine. In this age of camera manufacturers relying on more expensive lens formulas to chase where the money is, it's good for at least one of them to release a lens like this to help newbies/younger people interested in photo make that first non-kit lens purchase. If the hobbyist market gets too restrictive financially, there aren't gonna be any new hobbyists.

Oct 25, 2017
And that's fine. In this age of camera manufacturers relying on more expensive lens formulas to chase where the money is, it's good for at least one of them to release a lens like this to help newbies/younger people interested in photo make that first non-kit lens purchase. If the hobbyist market gets too restrictive financially, there aren't gonna be any new hobbyists.
Every manufacturer has a cheap 50. Nikon, Sony, Canon, Pentax...most likely, Fuji now. It's honestly a thing your supposed to have since 50mm is the easiest, but blandest of the prime focal lengths. Oh you know who doesn't have a cheap 50? Fucking Leica.

SaitoH

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know a good cloud service for photos? I've been using flickr for years because it was free. When they started charging I didn't really mind paying, but with the recent communication in December, their stability as a platform is now in question and I'm thinking I should look at my options.

Any suggestions?

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Anyone know a good cloud service for photos? I've been using flickr for years because it was free. When they started charging I didn't really mind paying, but with the recent communication in December, their stability as a platform is now in question and I'm thinking I should look at my options.

Any suggestions?

Completely depends on your needs and the amount you're willing to spend. Here's an overview of the most obvious solutions:
https://www.techradar.com/best/best-cloud-storage-2019-for-photos-and-pictures

Mathmarauder

Nov 14, 2017
Taking a trip to London in May. What would be a good lens to bring? Full frame, e-mount, plan to do just street/landscape/sight seeing type stuff. Prefer something better than a kit zoom.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Just bought a Nikon FM off of eBay. Should be here in a week from Japan. I'll be able to use my Zeiss 28/2 Distagon, Nikon 105/2.5, and Nikon 300/4 natively since they're all F Mount lenses. Just need to get a native F Mount 50mm now.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Sony a7ii with 28-70 kit lens is $1k right now. Should I snag it or hold off for an XT3 sale?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
That's pretty good, did you hold both cameras and figure out which one feels better? You can't go wrong at that price though. But I have no idea about that lens.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Other than depth of field the X-T3 is better than the Sony in every way. I usually don't recommend anything below a used A7RII. If you can rent the A7II, find out that you like the AF then get it. Also buy spare batteries.

I know the Fuji is a better camera but it's a bit of a tall order to throw down $2k (after cards and batteries and the like) for purely hobby stuff.

Xt30 is the same sensor and more or less the same camera (minus a few quality of life features) than the xt3, right?

Oct 25, 2017
I know the Fuji is a better camera but it's a bit of a tall order to throw down $2k (after cards and batteries and the like) for purely hobby stuff.

Xt30 is the same sensor and more or less the same camera (minus a few quality of life features) than the xt3, right?
Smaller EVF, might have a smaller buffer, less weather sealing, smaller overall camera, not a fan of that series personally.

Mathmarauder

Nov 14, 2017
I mean, at 750 all you wind up getting is the Zeiss 24-70, which is never really liked to be honest. If you have stuff you don't need trade in towards it. What do you currently have lens wise?
Got a deal in Oct of last year on the A7III, with the standard Sony 24-70mm. The pictures that lenses produces are just OK, honestly prefer the ones an iPhone gives was hoping to get another lens soon to take photos to a higher level.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on hiatus, saving money and by the time either the XT-4 or A7IV releases I can immediately buy it. Exciting times ahead but I still need to exercise some patience lol. But I'm still alive at least!

Oct 25, 2017
Got a deal in Oct of last year on the A7III, with the standard Sony 24-70mm. The pictures that lenses produces are just OK, honestly prefer the ones an iPhone gives was hoping to get another lens soon to take photos to a higher level.
Sony's honestly all in the editing, though that Zeiss isn't great either. Look at the Sigma 24-70 and look at some of the more exotic focal lengths that you will never see on a phone. My usual set up is the 24-70GM, 135GM and the 100-400GM for when I'm in a park. The IPhone honestly isn't touching my D810 and that things from 2014.
I've been on hiatus, saving money and by the time either the XT-4 or A7IV releases I can immediately buy it. Exciting times ahead but I still need to exercise some patience lol. But I'm still alive at least!
I've recently been breathing new life into my DSLR's.

Oct 25, 2017
Xt-3 is on sale

clearing stock i bet
Yup. It's not the blowout sale they did on the X-H1, but it's still a sale. I'm probably not even going to buy the X-T4 since I'm starting to concentrate more on lenses...though I wouldn't mind trading in the X-T3 for the X-T4 if the grip is right. X-H1 stays because it's built like a brick shit house.
Also 1k off the 50R :o
I really would just want the 50S. That camera with the bigger lenses would be a lot more comfortable with an actual grip. On a side note I'm contemplating an X-Pro 2 as a smaller pack around street camera.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Looking at Fuji Rumours the X100V won't be weather sealed without a 50 quid filter add-on. I can't believe it's taken this long to add 50% to the price for a flippy screen.