• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
IQ wise, the D810 isn't getting touched by an IPhone, unless you want to take all of the computational photography into the mix, which only really effects still imagery. Then you have the overall cropability and lens line up. I don't care about phone cameras, I just don't enjoy them from an end user perspective.
I just don't think I'm getting stuff like this from an IPhone:
D81_9236 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
D81_9319 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
D81_8884 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
D81_9421 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
D81_9601 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

SirCheese

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody have a favorite Nikon-lens? I recently picked up a Nikon FT1 adapter for my Nikon 1, so now I can use big-boy lenses albeit with a 2.7x crop factor.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think the EOS R prices will drop further once the rumored new bodies come out? It's hard to tell from the rumors if these are meant to be direct replacements or not.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think the EOS R prices will drop further once the rumored new bodies come out? It's hard to tell from the rumors if these are meant to be direct replacements or not.

I think the current rebate price is just going to become the new price. Or more likely full on discontinued. Or maybe in the 13-1500 range something between the new bodies and the RP. With all the rumored bodies R5,R6,RS, I just dont see a place for it going forward.

I dunno, the Canon lineup is going to be weird.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
So the next camera will definitely be called XT4, which makes a lot of sense to me as they had a huge hit with XT3. Fuji doesn't want to confuse customers. I still think there will be a form factor and build quality shift.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
As for Canon, I am cautiously optimistic.
I think
R5 = 5D
R6 = 6D
R/RP will be discontinued. And there will eventually be a R1/R1x.
No idea what the RS is.

Either way, if they can get their shit straight for the R5, I'll be super happy.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Edit:
Price-1320x680.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
So the next camera will definitely be called XT4, which makes a lot of sense to me as they had a huge hit with XT3. Fuji doesn't want to confuse customers. I still think there will be a form factor and build quality shift.
Form factor change will also piss off a ton of people. I love the X-H1, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority of that.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Just checked out the dpreview initial review and looks like the lens is improved a lot. That was really my main concern...and it seems completely usable wide open at f2 now.

Form factor change will also piss off a ton of people. I love the X-H1, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority of that.
Yeah, people just don't realize things...need a bigger battery for longer shooting, and need a bigger grip to be able to fit the bigger battery. Plus IBIS. But yeah, a lot of people will be pissed off.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see myself replacing my EOS R anytime in the next three years or so. The current camera is more than enough for me.
You do a lot of portraits so it's more than enough. Event shooting and just photographing random shit gets a bit difficult if you can't exactly pin down what you even specialize in, which I guess is my exact problem.

Oct 25, 2017
We are fastly careening into the every camera is 'more than enough for nearly everybody' zone for camera bodies it seems this year.
We've been there for years. It's just catching up with mirrorless. Personally with the D4 and D810 I still see those as a set of cameras where you can basically photograph anything with those cameras and they're respectively six and eight year old bodies.

Oct 25, 2017
We've been there for years. It's just catching up with mirrorless. Personally with the D4 and D810 I still see those as a set of cameras where you can basically photograph anything with those cameras and they're respectively six and eight year old bodies.

Yeah, but I do think we at least had one more generation of sensors past the D810 era to improve sensor technology that was worthwhile in a way that everyone benefitted hugely from.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea. Even after Canon announces the new bodies I'm still probably going to get the EOS R just because I don't want to pay top dollar for new camera tech. And the EOS R seems to already be at a pretty good price. If it comes down another $200 or so even better for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but I do think we at least had one more generation of sensors past the D810 era to improve sensor technology that was worthwhile in a way that everyone benefitted hugely from.
Depends on who you actually talk to on that one. I think with that sensor set they chased higher ISO and messed up lower iso dynamic range in the process. The D850 is definitely an excellent camera, but not everybody seems to like it depending on what it is that they're doing. You definitely benefit for the improved AF system though. I'll probably get one, but not sure about the when, maybe next year.
Yea. Even after Canon announces the new bodies I'm still probably going to get the EOS R just because I don't want to pay top dollar for new camera tech. And the EOS R seems to already be at a pretty good price. If it comes down another $200 or so even better for me.
Yeah I'm turning into a waiter with this stuff. I'm like "Ok cool, I'll buy it when it gets replaced."

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on who you actually talk to on that one. I think with that sensor set they chased higher ISO and messed up lower iso dynamic range in the process. The D850 is definitely an excellent camera, but not everybody seems to like it depending on what it is that they're doing. You definitely benefit for the improved AF system though. I'll probably get one, but not sure about the when, maybe next year.

I more meant sensor tech in general, not just D810->D850

Did the D810 fix the magenta cast issue of the D800 had at 6400+? I just always assumed it inherited it with the sensor of the D800

Oct 25, 2017
I more meant sensor tech in general, not just D810->D850

Did the D810 fix the magenta cast issue of the D800 had at 6400+? I just always assumed it inherited it with the sensor of the D800
I honestly have no idea. Someone I was speaking to on Sunday at Central Park doing birding told me the D850 leaned more red. Nikon's sensor tech for that gen just seems to be more geared towards higher iso's. You have the D5 losing to the D4 in low iso dynamic range, the D500 clipping highlights by probably a stop, they just don't seem to be jack of all trades sensors. Also with the D810 once I pushed it to 12800 and just turned those files to B&W, they just don't retain useable information there.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I totally forgot this thread existed... just randomly saw it when I accidentally clicked the wrong link.

That said, it's timely because man I've loaded Lecia and B&H's site about 97 times since the M10 Monochrom's announcement. It's terribly expensive. It's arguably not worth half of what they're asking. It's supremely niche device and has limited functionality. But damn if it isn't my grail. I've always wanted one of Leica's Monochrom cameras... but every time before they've come at the tail end of the generation's sensor's life. But this is a brand new, one-off sensor and so it solves - literally - the only complaint I've ever had about the hardware and its release timing.

The problem is, unlike most gear, I can't really trade in my other stuff (I could probably snag about $5K from my Fuji gear), but then I can't shoot photos or take pictures at a play/concert from further back than the first row. So it requires a big up front money sink... and damn if that isn't tough.

But it doesn't mean I'm not dreaming and trying to justify...

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
If that's something you've been dreaming about then that's what it is. I'd say may be wait a year but honestly Leicas seem to hold their price. Maybe take a look at your least used stuff and sell those off.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly have no idea. Someone I was speaking to on Sunday at Central Park doing birding told me the D850 leaned more red. Nikon's sensor tech for that gen just seems to be more geared towards higher iso's. You have the D5 losing to the D4 in low iso dynamic range, the D500 clipping highlights by probably a stop, they just don't seem to be jack of all trades sensors. Also with the D810 once I pushed it to 12800 and just turned those files to B&W, they just don't retain useable information there.

Oh there was a thing where at 6400 (or even 3200 if you really pushed, there would be a bit of a purple/magenta gradient cast coming up from the bottom if you tried recovering too much. would show up even about about +1.5 or so

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using my X100S with a stuck shutter for years, the X100V would be a nice upgrade if I can get the cash (and convince my wife too lol)

Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered a Nikon 200-500, got a PD Slide for my D810 (I have six of these damn things) and got a nice Think Tank back pack to store the lens in. I wasn't expecting to enjoy walking around and photographing animals so god damn much, it's very relaxing.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
after about two-three years of camera-less existence, i borrowed my boss' camera for a holiday to japan and caught the ol' photography bug so last night i bought a reasonably priced fuji x-t30 camera. can't wait to experience what'll be about 9 years of camera tech upgrades since my last bit of kit, a sony a77.