• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
there's nothing creepy about it. He produces some amazing images too. Hes not hiding anything he's doing

what's creepy is people that take long lens out on the street and shoot candids from 100 feet away. Coward tbh
Define long lens please. I'm still very much within mutual visual range with anybody I'm photographing even with my 70-200 and 135. He's very good, I just stay away from the path blocking thing.

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I like a lot of his non aggressive photos actually, I remember checking out his site and he actually has a very good eye....I am just surprised his aggressive street portrait style is more "famous". That's basically not my thing, I like people in their environments doing things...but that's me. I also have a broader/looser definition of street, which encompasses more than people. In fact purists won't consider me a street photographer at all. May be I'm just a city photographer. But yeah, he isn't creepy, he's just very aggressive.

Oct 25, 2017
I like a lot of his non aggressive photos actually, I remember checking out his site and he actually has a very good eye....I am just surprised his aggressive street portrait style is more "famous". That's basically not my thing, I like people in their environments doing things...but that's me. I also have a broader/looser definition of street, which encompasses more than people. In fact purists won't consider me a street photographer at all. May be I'm just a city photographer. But yeah, he isn't creepy, he's just very aggressive.
Yeah I fall into that same problem actually. I get "this isn't street" comments in the occasional FB group post. People are just very tied to how it's "supposed" to be and won't broaden their definition for it. I'm rather voyeuristic, but I'm not aggressive.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very interesting to me how Suzuki Tatsuro is getting criticized for his style, but then someone like Bruce Gilden whose style is 1000x more intrusive, is lauded as a genius.

Oct 25, 2017
It's very interesting to me how Suzuki Tatsuro is getting criticized for his style, but then someone like Bruce Gilden whose style is 1000x more intrusive, is lauded as a genius.
Based on what Google Images is spitting out from him and what I've seen of him doing street work with a flash in peoples faces. No...lots of no from me.
I think it's the opposite of creepy, as in, instead of being incognito he's being overly confrontational. There's something problematic about either spectrum. Although his style is extremely engaging
I try to fall some where in the middle.
I quite like the more cinematic look of shooting long in street scenes.
Yeah you can get some really cool stuff with that. 135 isn't a "street" focal length but I love the look of it.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I've asked for buying advice in the past and never bite the bullet because timing is always right around a new camera release and I don't want to get burned, so apologies in advance for asking essentially the same question again: I've got a vacation coming up and I think it's good timing to finally pick up a camera. This is my first vacation since I quit drinking and I'm going to Austin, so I'm trying to find things to do to keep me away from the bar scene. Hiking is in the card, and I figured having a camera alongside would be a good way to explore the city.

I know that an XT4 is expected sometime soon. Would you recommend I (a) pick up an XT20 or XT30 with the kit lens to have something to dick around with and learn (I'm a complete amateur so a lot of principles are going to be learned on whatever camera I buy) and buy a XT3 or XT4 body down the line or (b) buy an XT3 with kit lens and skip the XT4 altogether?

Oct 25, 2017
I've asked for buying advice in the past and never bite the bullet because timing is always right around a new camera release and I don't want to get burned, so apologies in advance for asking essentially the same question again: I've got a vacation coming up and I think it's good timing to finally pick up a camera. This is my first vacation since I quit drinking and I'm going to Austin, so I'm trying to find things to do to keep me away from the bar scene. Hiking is in the card, and I figured having a camera alongside would be a good way to explore the city.

I know that an XT4 is expected sometime soon. Would you recommend I (a) pick up an XT20 or XT30 with the kit lens to have something to dick around with and learn (I'm a complete amateur so a lot of principles are going to be learned on whatever camera I buy) and buy a XT3 or XT4 body down the line or (b) buy an XT3 with kit lens and skip the XT4 altogether?
Just buy a used X-T2.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually got to spend time with an EOS R and a Nikon Z7 today. I was already leaning towards the EOS R but I was incredibly surprised how much I ended up liking the ergonomics of it over the Z7. And I've got to say. The EVF in the EOS R seemed miles better than the Z7. It was damn near lag free and smooth and the colors were great. Whereas the Nikon was jittery, laggy, and washed out.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Western Europe but the cities aren't so crowded that you can go take pictures of people unnoticed. But in some of the bigger cities it might be possible but people don't really appreciate it if you take pictures of them.

Lol There's tons of photographers working like this all over Europe

Shit there's a video Suzuki doing it in Germany

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
In other, positive news, the 50mm f1 doesn't seem gigantic:

84332742_2929260750472769_5245763847200964608_n.jpg

84358948_2929260803806097_4872360846480637952_n.jpg

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
A question for Fuji users:

The X-T3, X-T30, X-Pro 3 and X100V have the low ISO 80 mode but the base ISO of these cameras is 160. I've been using ISO 80 for long exposures, but would the ISO 160 be better overall?

Oct 25, 2017
His early Coney Island work is excellent but the latest stuff... yeah, not a fan.
Bruce chases too hard after a sense of disturbing that I don't exactly like.

The X-T3, X-T30, X-Pro 3 and X100V have the low ISO 80 mode but the base ISO of these cameras is 160. I've been using ISO 80 for long exposures, but would the ISO 160 be better overall?
160 is the native base ISO, the 80's an expanded base ISO that probably messes with the DR a bit.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Bruce chases too hard after a sense of disturbing that I don't exactly like.

160 is the native base ISO, the 80's an expanded base ISO that probably messes with the DR a bit.

Bruce fucking forces people to not move and uses his big body to stand in the way while exposing a flash right in their faces

Also yeah long exposures in 160 look better. Do it all the time

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

If you are wondering about the noise, then no, it's the same amount as 160, plus that's not much of a factor for long exposure.

Oct 25, 2017
Bruce fucking forces people to not move and uses his big body to stand in the way while exposing a flash right in their faces

Also yeah long exposures in 160 look better. Do it all the time
Yeah his style is way too confrontational. My comment was directed towards what I saw from his Coney Island stuff. I also do not use flash with street photography. I haven't done that since I first started out. It's just way too much and ruins the whole thing.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
One of my favorites is Vivian Maier, she used to roll with a twin lens reflex camera. No way she was inconspicuous...but probably people were a lot more receptive due to the era, and she was a woman.

VM19XXW03132-10-MC.jpg

VM1954W02925-12-MC.jpg

VM19XXW04209-09-MC.jpg

VM1954W00562-07-MC.jpg

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oct 25, 2017
Fly by wire?
Blech.

X100V is everything I wanted it to be. I'll be picking one up sometime this year.

I have the Mitakon 35mm 0.95, and while I LOOOOOOOVE 99% of it, I do wish it was a 50mm, and sadly the 50mm they make is not only much larger for being FF lens, (obviously) but has worse IQ. If Mitakon would just make literally the 35mm and turn it into 50mm length, I'd be set.

But I suppose I'll consider this 50mm F1 depending on how much it ends up costing.

Oct 25, 2017
Fly by wire?
Blech.

X100V is everything I wanted it to be. I'll be picking one up sometime this year.

I have the Mitakon 35mm 0.95, and while I LOOOOOOOVE 99% of it, I do wish it was a 50mm, and sadly the 50mm they make is not only much larger for being FF lens, (obviously) but has worse IQ. If Mitakon would just make literally the 35mm and turn it into 50mm length, I'd be set.

But I suppose I'll consider this 50mm F1 depending on how much it ends up costing.
So what you're saying is that you want a 75mm lens?

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing about the D6 is that it's such an afterthought, it can only mean Nikon is very much throwing all their resources into the Zs.

Cause lol.

Also the 20 1.8 S looks fucking amazing and is a very tempting buy down the road.

Oct 25, 2017

I would always go with base ISOs; the expanded ISOs IIRC is just the camera halving or doubling the values given by a native iso.

This site can help you find out about the performance at different ISOs. Notably, the Fuji cameras seem to like performing with better dynamic range and SNR at 800 ISO vs 640 and 400. So if you're using a Fuji and find yourself needing to push ISO to 320, consider just bumping right up to 800.
Using these

Oct 25, 2017
finally got my x-t30, man it's a small camera!
That camera is not for me, I don't even have big hands either, it just feels too small to be comfortable to me, so it's never a camera that I recommend.
The best thing about the D6 is that it's such an afterthought, it can only mean Nikon is very much throwing all their resources into the Zs.

Cause lol.

Also the 20 1.8 S looks fucking amazing and is a very tempting buy down the road.
I just want the D6 to tank the D5 prices at this point, not even a camera worth fighting over, their last gen is probably the only stuff worth buying because yeah, they really need to invest more into their Z camera R&D.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
XT-xx is a small series. XT-X is bigger. Looks like people are throwing a hissy fit over the D6. I gotta say, after a long ass time, Canon 1DM3 completely owned the Nikon flagship. I'm just hoping for great quality mid range mirrorless cameras from both companies at this point.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The EOS R5 body, if the rumor render is true, looks like a dSLR body. It looks big.
Announcement expected sometime tonight.

EDIT:
I guess it just looks bigger. Side by side with the current EOS R it looks the same size.

index.php

Last edited: