• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah I was about to post that. That's a good looking camera. I know the mount is big, so the actual body isn't that big.

Oct 25, 2017
XT-xx is a small series. XT-X is bigger. Looks like people are throwing a hissy fit over the D6. I gotta say, after a long ass time, Canon 1DM3 completely owned the Nikon flagship. I'm just hoping for great quality mid range mirrorless cameras from both companies at this point.
The DSLR mounts are still viable if you want good glass on the cheap or at least affordable. I got the Nikon 200-500 over the Sony 200-600 and Fuji 100-400 because it's a grand cheaper for example. Also starting to look at the Nikon 105 1.4.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
The DSLR mounts are still viable if you want good glass on the cheap or at least affordable. I got the Nikon 200-500 over the Sony 200-600 and Fuji 100-400 because it's a grand cheaper for example. Also starting to look at the Nikon 105 1.4.
yeah for sure. i just don't wanna go back to that dslr bulk. the FF mirrorless cameras are pretty small, the lens sizes don't bug me so much. one positive for Canon is the used EF lens market is huge and the prices are pretty sweet. i could get a fast RF prime for everyday shooting but get a used tele prime (or a zoom) for birding and wildlife, which i am definitely getting more and more into.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its official:

Side view the thing looks 'thick'

- 20 fps electronic, 12 fps mechanical
- 8k video capture capability / 4k video
- IBIS
- 2 card slots
- auto transfer to canon cloud services
- no more Touch Bar, replaced with what looks like a joystick
- the infamous canon "wheel" is back

+ 7 more RF lenses in development
+ 2 RF range extenders

BTW. The non L variant of the 24-105 will be the new kit lens for the R and RP going forward. Which should drop the prices of those kits some more and make getting into the system more affordable.

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Its official:

- IBIS
- 2 card slots

+ 2 RF range extenders

BTW. The non L variant of the 24-105 will be the new kit lens for the R and RP going forward. Which should drop the prices of those kits some more and make getting into the system more affordable.

Yep thing looks badass. Can't wait to hear more details about lenses themselves. Not the two they announced, though the 100-500 maybe good.

Hope it's ~3500 ish.

Oct 25, 2017
Its official:

- IBIS
- 2 card slots

+ 2 RF range extenders

Looks good, Nikon needs to announce a new mirrorless camera already because the Z's will not be able to compete with this.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
At long last: my feature film is done and out, Camera Era.

4K, shot mainly on FS7 & A7Sii. Metabones Mk. IV with some Canon glass, a few E-Mount Rokinon Primes. Full gear list here. Had some extremely difficult interior lighting to work with, thanks to the neon, sunlight, CRTs, and various other lights in each shop, but that was only during normal business hours.

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
They might be going for a hardcore sports camera for the Olympics....it has always been that way for the camera manufacturers, Olympics is the big prove your worth event to show off your best gear. So I think they might announce 2 telephotos as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Then depending on what they do with the X-T4 you might not like it. It's supposed to have an integrated vertical grip based on rumors. Personally I want it to be like the X-H1, but that's just me.
I don't see an XT4 as having integrated battery grip. That's "new camera series" territory. *Maybe* I could see an X-H2 having an integrated grip, as their "this is a chonky camera series" at most.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see an XT4 as having integrated battery grip. That's "new camera series" territory. *Maybe* I could see an X-H2 having an integrated grip, as their "this is a chonky camera series" at most.
All depends on what Fuji does, I've heard it's an integrated grip camera. If they keep the X-H series and do that then fine I'm all in since I basically stopped liking the X-T bodies after getting the X-H1.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Holy smokes that Canon Eos R5 has some crazy spec sheets and feels like finally a mature MILC camera compared to the shit they had with Eos R. Wonder if Sony can keep this up because if they don't this is going to make my choice really hard, since Canon at least has decent menus going for them.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy smokes that Canon Eos R5 has some crazy spec sheets and feels like finally a mature MILC camera compared to the shit they had with Eos R. Wonder if Sony can keep this up because if they don't this is going to make my choice really hard, since Canon at least has decent menus going for them.
The menus are only really a problem till you map everything you absolutely need to a face button. If I could cover an event with an A7RII then you should be fine. Though yes the R5 sounds like a very competitive camera, and they made one faster than I thought they would, not switching though (not even cost effective since the good RF stuff is expensive).

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
R5 is gonna be Canon's flagship body till an R1 comes out, I sincerely don't think you should wait on a flagship type body, just get an A7R3 (not even R4) or the upcoming XT4, you will be MORE than fine.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting so long and I'm still in the process of saving so I can wait as well another month or two. But XT-4 is seriously on my radar tbh.
You could most likely buy anything within the last three years and be perfectly fine to be honest. I went back to my D810 recently, released in 2014, nobody on here has commented about it affecting my images. Probably using my D4 this weekend with the 200-500 and everything else I have and I doubt people will notice too heavily.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
My Nikon FM came in from Japan. Here it is paired with my Zeiss 28/2 Distagon with it's native F-Mount

A fully mechanical lens with a nearly fully mechanical film body. The only electronics the FM body has is a a simple light meter and indicator in the viewfinder that shows over, under, and correct exposure through LEDs. Otherwise the film and shutter mechanism are all fully mechanical.

I plan on sending film I shoot out to a lab for it to be developed and scanned in hopes, over time, I'll get a good scanner and learn to develop my own film.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Very cool. You can learn to develop pretty easily I believe, they sell kits. But I'd highly suggest taking a course at a local college/university. I learned in high school and it's a lot of fun but you need to understand the handling of chemicals properly.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Very cool. You can learn to develop pretty easily I believe, they sell kits. But I'd highly suggest taking a course at a local college/university. I learned in high school and it's a lot of fun but you need to understand the handling of chemicals properly.

Also you can just scan the negatives and print these days versus cumbersome solvents projectors etc.

Taking a class is a good idea, seeing as I would be able to use their lab too. I'll have to look into that.

Ultimately, with how touchy I am with digital files, I can see myself becoming really involved with getting the dev process down to get the exact look I want. The physical prospect of that interests me a lot.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
They're not going to make the xt-4 that much bigger. Like I said it's going to be in between the XT-3 and XH bodies

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, a registration for an XT4 battery grip has showed up in Korea.
Yeah I read about that. Guess I'll wait for an X-H2 announcement. The X-T4 would have to be a monumental improvement to get me to buy it within the first year.
They're not going to make the xt-4 that much bigger. Like I said it's going to be in between the XT-3 and XH bodies
Therefore a half measure. There's a lot of stuff about the X-H1 that I actually like. The shutter alone is a big improvement.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I read about that. Guess I'll wait for an X-H2 announcement. The X-T4 would have to be a monumental improvement to get me to buy it within the first year.

Good IBIS could really improve semi-low light performance if it let's you increase the shutter time a good amount. Couple that with longer lifetime battery and it could be the wedding camera to beat. I'm not sure what major selling point the X-H2 will have going for it now the X-T4 is getting IBIS.

Oct 25, 2017
Good IBIS could really improve semi-low light performance if it let's you increase the shutter time a good amount. Couple that with longer lifetime battery and it could be the wedding camera to beat. I'm not sure what major selling point the X-H2 will have going for it now the X-T4 is getting IBIS.
Build quality and better ergonomics and a smoother shutter. The X-H1 is really a camera that you need to own to actually appreciate. The X-T3 is only a superior camera if you care that much about size and need the improved AF. The X-H1 is the more comfortable camera for event usage for example, plus built to higher standards.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Many pro wildlife photographers would never use anything besides Canon/Nikon flagship bodies because of build quality. Watch below video, no matter the tech, your typical camera bodies won't survive this kind of beating. Except for Canon and Nikon flagship bodies (and their customer service). Those things matter.

www.youtube.com

David Yarrow Reveals his Photography Secrets - YouPic Inspiration for photographers

Part 1 (of 2) exclusive https://youpic.com/ home films in which we explore David Yarrow's photography of animals and his unique methods. In part 2 (coming in...

Oct 25, 2017
Many pro wildlife photographers would never use anything besides Canon/Nikon flagship bodies because of build quality. Watch below video, no matter the tech, your typical camera bodies won't survive this kind of beating. Except for Canon and Nikon flagship bodies (and their customer service). Those things matter.

www.youtube.com

David Yarrow Reveals his Photography Secrets - YouPic Inspiration for photographers

Part 1 (of 2) exclusive https://youpic.com/ home films in which we explore David Yarrow's photography of animals and his unique methods. In part 2 (coming in...
That's nice.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017

www.youtube.com

I think I'm fine by not having to photograph elephants from five metres away, but thanks for the cool vid.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I think I'm fine by not having to photograph elephants from five metres away, but thanks for the cool vid.
Exactly, but that's why they have these fantastic flagship cameras that are unbreakable. XH1 isn't quite that but Fuji's big lenses balance better on that body. That said I expect XT4 to have better build quality and a better mount.

Oct 25, 2017

www.youtube.com

These images are fucking great.
Exactly, but that's why they have these fantastic flagship cameras that are unbreakable. XH1 isn't quite that but Fuji's big lenses balance better on that body. That said I expect XT4 to have better build quality and a better mount.
I contemplated getting rid of my D4, but nope, I used it recently and remembered why I love it. Not getting rid of my DSLR's for anything.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think I can ever justify spending four months of salary on one body though lol.

Oct 25, 2017
A body and one lens for about €4K together is still doable, but €8K for a body alone is just jikes. I don't need the professional support that comes with those bodies so I'm better buying off something relatively new.
What's the used rate on a D4 over there? I think they're sub 2 grand over here. You can get an A7RIII and get a Sigma 24-70 I would assume for that.

Oct 25, 2017
My honest opinion is that if you don't know what to get, literally spin a bottle on all the mid ranges and just go with it. Decide if you like it or dont, sell it or don't, and go from there.

This works especially well because Fuji has a lot of good mid range options. :V

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to wait for Sony to announce the A7IV. Currently money is the 'issue', as I'm doing a pretty good saving run and rather focus on increasing that buffer before spending a huge chunk on a camera :P. Saving up for home ownership really is a good motivator to avoid spending a lot.

Also, images of the XT-4 have leaked. Surprise, it's an XT-3 with a different battery and not much visual changes. Sensor is apparently the same but this time with IBIS. Screen can rotate/flip outwards but I'm not too fond of the mechanism they have (can't rotate downwards when against the body). If the A7IV is just a lower resolution A7RIV I'm pretty confident that's what I want. I thought about buying the A7RIV, the resolution seems pretty luring but then again who needs that amount of pixels anyway and the RAWs are over 100MB each, ugh.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to wait for Sony to announce the A7IV. Currently money is the 'issue', as I'm doing a pretty good saving run and rather focus on increasing that buffer before spending a huge chunk on a camera :P. Saving up for home ownership really is a good motivator to avoid spending a lot.

Also, images of the XT-4 have leaked. Surprise, it's an XT-3 with a different battery and not much visual changes. Sensor is apparently the same but this time with IBIS. Screen can rotate/flip outwards but I'm not too fond of the mechanism they have (can't rotate downwards when against the body). If the A7IV is just a lower resolution A7RIV I'm pretty confident that's what I want. I thought about buying the A7RIV, the resolution seems pretty luring but then again who needs that amount of pixels anyway and the RAWs are over 100MB each, ugh.
I honestly think you should save on the body and spend on some actual lenses.