• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Say there's this kid. Even though they had a really good relationship with their parents, when they were around their tweens they realized that since they're their parent's only child, they'd be forced to inherit the family's very tiny buisness in the middle of nowhere, which they don't want to since they fear that they'd be stuck there forever. They know that even if they leave their parents nicely their parents would sooner or later go after them, which means that sooner or later the backwater store is going to haunt them.

So they vent about this to their internet friends. Some of them are around their age, while some of them are adults in disguise, but they're all from different western countries. Their friends don't know a solution, but the kid noticed that some of their adult friends came from abusive homes and are now living by themselves thanks to the help of their countries child service, which gave the kid an idea:

If they also had abusive parents, they could report them to child service and they could avoid having to inherit the store forever!

And thus, the kid started to rebel. At first it was just minor stuff like refusing to was the dishes after dinner, but then the kid started getting trouble at school. Their parents scolded them, but the kid kept on getting trouble at school, so much so that their parents got called to school.

Exasperated, their parents started to get stricter with the kid in hopes to whip them back up to the nice kid that they knew before; forcing curfews, driving the kid home immidiately after the end of school, only letting them use the computer on weekends and family-locking suspect sites.

Even though the kid planned it all along, they were still genuinely frustrated at their parents lockdown, so they vent to their online friends. Since they don't know what the kid's up to, all they could tell them was to hang in there, which didn't comfort them at all. They were frustrated at everything at this point, and thus they started lashing their frustration in school by bullying people, which in turn threatened them to getting expelled from school. Their parents got called to school again in order to discuss their temporary suspension, and when they got back home their parents interogated the the kid on why they changed so much that they couldn't recognize him anymore. The kid knew that they couldn't reveal their plan, so all they could do was silence. After hours and hours of no answers, their parents were incredibly frustrated, and then, begging for answers they started to shook the kid up. Even then though, the kid still sat still. They shouted questions near his ear, but he still didn't budge. In the end, they were at their absolute breaking point, and in rage they whipped him up with a bed cane, before sending them to bed.

For the entire week they didn't let the kid out of the room as punishment. However, they didn't turn off the wi-fi, and thus the kid could still use the internet. They vented even more to their internet friends about what happened, and they got real mad, especially the adult ones. They sugested them to contact their country's child service, but the kid couldn't find any near his house, so their friends started a small ruckus on social media on how shitty the living conditions on their friends's country, and told the kid about verbal and physical abuse in detail.

After the kid got back to school, they became very reclusive, shaken after what happened last week. The teachers noticed, and they asked them why. At first the kid was too shook to answer, but then they admitted that they'd been abused by their parents. Outraged, the kid's parents got called to school again and were scolded by the kid's teacher. When they got back home, the parents got mad at the kid for reporting them to the school, because it made them very embarrassed. They shouted at them how they have to dodge every time someone asks about their kid, how they're at their wits end dealing with them, and how they couldn't recognize him anymore.

At this point the kid couldn't stand it anymore, but knew that telling their parents the truth would be even worse. So they reported their parents to the teachers again, and the teachers called their parents again, which made the parents more and more agitated at them, and thus the cycle continues for a couple more times, before in the end their parents figured that if they want to scold their kid, they'd have to be subtle or else they'd get reported again. So, they started behaving passive-aggresive towards their kid, seemingly tolerant when the kid does something wrong, but other times stating what the kid was going to do wrong next even before the kid did anything.

-----------

I apologize for the wall of text, but I wanted to try to illustrate a hypothetical example where someone could technically "deserve" abuse. However, I want to know what you guys think on the subject, especially since my culture and you guys's culture are very different on handling abuse.

PS. Please keep the discussion civil and don't rage, no one wants to see the hard debates of a lot of people go to waste just because one guy raged too hard.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see that as abuse, now that may be because I was raised in a household where getting whipped by a belt or shoes for being a dumbass was regular growing up

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
No child ever deserves abuse in any circumstance. Children don't know better. They need understanding and patience.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Hell no, they're kids, they aren't held to the same standards because they don't have the same mental faculties/life experiences/etc. as a fully grown person.

Hell, abuse against adults is gonna get a "hell no" from me too, because abuse, as defined as "to hurt or injure by maltreatment", is never acceptable.

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see that as abuse, now that may be because I was raised in a household where getting whipped by a belt or shoes for being a dumbass was regular growing up

Yep, the crack of the belt was enough to sort out any bullshit my young self might have gotten up to... but that was a different time.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, a child can't ever deserve abuse by their parents. And hitting a child with that cane that you linked would definitely constitute abuse in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.