• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
The popularity of witcher 3 on this forum makes it seem so
The problem with that line of thinking is the selfish assumption that everybody thinks the gameplay in The Witcher 3 is bad and that those who like it do so purely for other reasons. But that's not the case for everyone: many of us do enjoy the gameplay.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The game shines by it's reactivity through choices.

The gameplay in itself isn't particularly good, movement and combat are pretty bad and the reactivity I talked about is made through text choice most often. Skyrim is different because you have the freedom to play as you want which is part of the gameplay, while Witcher 3 is ok in most areas.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Didn't people like how claustrophobic the Game Boy screen was for Metroid 2 and how that was something missing from the remakes?
And people also like Melee BECAUSE it's broken compared to other entries.

None of these are horrible, though, but sometimes it's part of the experience, and as we advance we'll see many games that we liked as bad because of the lack or QoL improvements, like Earthbound's storage/bike problems.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
All of the gameplay in witcher 3 is bad. Movement is awful in all areas, control feels terrible, and yes combat is of course atrocious
I really enjoy movement, moment to moment gameplay and especially combat in The Witcher 3.

Also, there must be a reason for all the GOTY awards.

Also this.
Default movement was pretty out there, but after they patched in alternative movement it was alright. Its stopped being an active negative point.

But this is still not gameplay. Gameplay is the totality of the game's systems actions and reactions. The movement, the difficulty of the game, the missions, the objectives, the inventory, the item placement, the enemy encounters, the potion system, the dialogue tree, the dialogue ramifications, the choice and consequence system, the flow of the game, the artificial intelligence, the leveling up system, the sign system - this is what the gameplay in Witcher 3 is. For some reason, the bulk of gamers have no idea what gameplay is. Its either the clashing of swords in a game like witcher or the act of releasing a bullet from a weapon in a shooter. Seems all games are reduced to a singular act even when they have a hundred different systems in place.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Sure? There are even games like Surgeon Simulator where the gameplay being bad even contributes to the strengths of the game.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
The Witcher 1. Perhaps its why I find combat in 3 decent.
lol, dito.

I sure love good gameplay and a good story, so having both are usual those kind of games I finish without touching another game. Then again there are games with bad gameplay I still finish because, for me, it is usually the characters and the story that drives me. Then again there are examples of purely gameplay-focused games, like Into the Breach, FTL, Codemasters' F1 games, Darkest Dungeon, and so on, I have played for so many hours and hours.

So generally, yes, it is absolutely possible.

I liked combat in witcher 1 and loved it in 3. Though I suspect all three entries will show up in this thread.
Second that as well. The combat in 2 tried to move forward, to something that it would finally become in The Witcher 3. But in 2, the feedback and especially range perception was awful. The controls weren't exactly brilliant either because animation transitions were abrupt and there was still some precision being lost.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Debatable. General case, no. If the game has bad gameplay, then it's fair to say is should be considered a bad game.

That being said, and while no exception come to mind right now, there's always the possibility of, say, a game having "horrible gameplay" on purpose, whatever the reasons may be. Then it's possible such a game could still be considered good if it achieves what it sets out to achieve.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Sure? There are even games like Surgeon Simulator where the gameplay being bad even contributes to the strengths of the game.
Do poor controls necessarily make for bad gameplay? The poor controls are part what make things like Surgeon Simulator and QWOP fun, right? Doesn't that mean the gameplay is good?
That's an interesting point, though I would probably describe it as having challenging controls rather than poor. I'm thinking about games such as Octodad and Human: Fall Flat though because I haven't played Surgeon Simulator but it's similar in concept I think?

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on what you mean by that. I wouldn't say something like Life is Strange's strength comes from it's gameplay or control but it was never truly a hindrance to what the game set out to do so, no, I wouldn't say a game with horrible gameplay would be renowned as a great game. You not liking a game doesn't make its gameplay bad such as...

People seem to like Zelda so yeah, I suppose it's true.
The vast majority don't find the games to have bad gameplay and they're actually renowned for that so, no, not really

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Do poor controls necessarily make for bad gameplay? The poor controls are part what make things like Surgeon Simulator and QWOP fun, right? Doesn't that mean the gameplay is good?
I'd argue that yes, bad controls lead to bad gameplay because the act of playing isn't very enjoyable. The physics and humor is what makes those enjoyable - not necessarily fun, but funny. That's how I see the games myself, anyway. Can't speak for everyone else.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
But this is still not gameplay. Gameplay is the totality of the game's systems actions and reactions. The movement, the difficulty of the game, the missions, the objectives, the inventory, the item placement, the enemy encounters, the potion system, the dialogue tree, the dialogue ramifications, the choice and consequence system, the flow of the game, the artificial intelligence, the leveling up system, the sign system - this is what the gameplay in Witcher 3 is.
None of them are good in The Witcher 3.

The movement is awful, yes even the alternate one (which is admittedly less worse). The game difficulty is botched (whatever the difficulty you choose). The mission objectives are always more or less the same "follow the marker" shit. The inventory is godawful, laggy as fuck and bloated beyond belief. The enemy encounters are lolworthy for the most part. The potion system is semi-okay I guess. The dialog tree is super primitive. The dialog ramifications are mostly cosmetic. The choice and consequence system is very limited (other games not having one doesn't make the one in The Witcher 3 particularly good). The flow of the game is ugh, either you beeline the main story and you encounter underleveling problems, or you wander around the world and then lol-Ubisoft. The enemy AI is hahaha (same for friendly AI for that matter, but you're alone for easily 90% of the game, not counting Roach). The leveling system is asinine. The sign system is broken, either useless or utterly OP depending on your build/playstyle.

This is what the gameplay in Witcher 3 is.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
You can honestly even make an argument that menus are a part of the gameplay in that they are an essential, inseparable part of the experience. If a main menu exists you have to proceed through it to get to the real part or "the meat" of the game. What that means is menus are a part of progression or part of the player's journey. Fourth wall-breaking games like Pony Island and that-one-game-I-can't-remember-the-name-of-with-the-primary-color-red run with that idea and use menus for puzzles in their campaigns. And then there's minigames in menus like the 'inventory-Tetris' found in RE4 & Deus Ex.
That's an interesting point, though I would probably describe it as having challenging controls rather than poor. I'm thinking about games such as Octodad and Human: Fall Flat though because I haven't played Surgeon Simulator but it's similar in concept I think?
Call it what you will, but they're poor lol. You have poor control of your character in those games, and that's part of what makes it challenging and fun. Those games became little mainstream hits though because they're bite-sized. Something like a full-length horror game with intentionally clunky controls is going to have a harder time breaking out.
I'd argue that yes, bad controls lead to bad gameplay because the act of playing isn't very enjoyable. The physics and humor is what makes those enjoyable - not necessarily fun, but funny. That's how I see the games myself, anyway. Can't speak for everyone else.
Ultimately, I don't really see a difference between those things. To me it's all engagement. Whether I'm laughing, crying, enthralled, horrified, and sometimes even annoyed.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Games can be more than the sum of their parts. I hate to use the word 'experience', but it fits the medium of video games far better than any other when describing a game overcoming a glaring fault and still being worth your time.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
None of them are good in The Witcher 3.

The movement is awful, yes even the alternate one (which is admittedly less worse). The game difficulty is botched (whatever the difficulty you choose). The mission objectives are always more or less the same "follow the marker" shit. The inventory is godawful, laggy as fuck and bloated beyond belief. The enemy encounters are lolworthy for the most part. The potion system is semi-okay I guess. The dialog tree is super primitive. The dialog ramifications are mostly cosmetic. The choice and consequence system is very limited (other games not having one doesn't make the one in The Witcher 3 particularly good). The flow of the game is ugh, either you beeline the main story and you encounter underleveling problems, or you wander around the world and then lol-Ubisoft. The enemy AI is hahaha (same for friendly AI for that matter, but you're alone for easily 90% of the game, not counting Roach). The leveling system is asinine. The sign system is broken, either useless or utterly OP depending on your build/playstyle.

This is what the gameplay in Witcher 3 is.
Over the top hyperbole with a lot of what you say isn't even true and just comes across as you hating the game.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Call it what you, but they're poor lol. You have poor control of your character in those, and that's what makes it challenging and fun. Those games became little mainstream hits though because they're bite-sized. Something like a full-length horror game with intentionally clunky controls is going to have a harder time breaking out.
I guess it comes down to perspective but I don't think "poor" is an adequate descriptor for the kind of controls in those physics-based games, at least not for something like Human: Fall Flat, where you can get really good at the platforming. It's different in scope as well compared with conventional platformers that don't allow as much experimentation with their more simplified controls.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say Pyre for example is a good game, despite not really liking how most of the gameplay elements come together. The characters, music, and art make up for it.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
People needs to stop to say such bullshit. Or at least tries to argue deeply what is it so bad about the gameplay in such game because it's annoying read the same hyperbole every single time. Seriously.
I'm not expert or reviewer so I am not used to extrapolating my thoughts like that. So idk how to really articulate why I felt that way. All I know is playing it the gameplay didn't feel like fun. Everything else was great but didn't feel fun. Whereas MGSV for example the gameplay was amazing yet everything around it sucked.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Yes.

qwopss.jpg

I'll tell you as a game design researcher who necessarily must believe in ground truths, that one game design is somehow better than the other for his profession to make sense, this game is the bane of my existence.